Growing old gracefully? ????⌛

Options

Replies

• Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    To me there is a difference between growing old gracefully and throwing in the towel, and I think a lot of people who have stopped trying to be their best physically and mentally say they are growing with grace. To me that is throwing in the towel.

I don't understand how people wouldn't want to look their best and take care of there body. I don't think they are bad people, I just don't get it. You only get one body and one mind.

So, I would like to grow old gracefully with strength. I want to be the lady I saw out on a run there other day at 75 riding her adult tricycle with a big smile. She looked BEAUTIFUL to me.

I won't lie though. If I had an extra ten grand I would get laser bra so I would walk around bra-less at home and and the girls would walk with me again.

Agreed, but I think the vast majority of people here ARE looking to take care of their bodies, that's why we're here. I took the OP to mean the more cosmetic things (gray hair, etc.) & THAT's what a lot of us aren't concerned with. Will I look better losing weight? I certainly hope so, but I will never win any prizes for looks. The bigger thing I'm addressing with the weight loss is staying healthy - anything else is a bonus & if it doesn't work out that way, that's fine too. I take care of myself (shower, haircuts, keep the beard trimmed, clean clothes, etc.) but I'm not doing the Grecian formula thing or anything else cosmetic like that.......
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    That IS a hike! I didn't grow up near the beach. I didn't see the ocean until I was 12. We were probably at least seven hours from any back (aside from lakes). I'm making up for it now.

And I want to live in Cornwall someday. It's just so beautiful! I want to live there and write novels.

Cornwall really is beautiful, we visited Lands End last month (along with Carbis Bay and St. Ives). It's so chilled out down there.
    It's my favorite thing about watching Doc Martin, the scenery shots.

I have a friend who grew up in Kent and she suggested that, too.

Of course, first I have to write a best-seller so I can quit my job ... lol

I love Martin Clunes! It would be a lovely place to write a novel though...so much inspiration.
    He is great!

We found a show on Netfix a while back -- a parody of a documentary about airports. There were these characters, teenage girls, who heard Martin Clunes was going to be flying into the airport and they were waiting with signs and all excited. So the plane gets there and they're singing his name and jumping up and down and they find out he switched flights to another airport because he heard they were there and he didn't want to be bothered. It was so funny.

Haha brilliant! Did you see him in "Men Behaving Badly"?
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I didn't read through the thread yet. I'm 35, a mother of 2, and a dancer. It is important to me to eat a nutritious diet, in moderation, exercise and be fit, maintain and build muscle. I stay out of the sun, or wear a hat and I wear spf 30 to prevent sun damage to my fair skin. I take care of my skin, but just very basic, preventing blemishes, nothing fancy. I don't think there is any way to stop the aging process. I trust in my body to age gracefully as long as I take basic, good care of it. I also use a gentle shampoo and conditioner and will put some color in my hair from vegetable dye (maybe when I'm older I won't), but I don't heat style or use anything damaging to my hair. I dress nicely. I wouldn't do anything expensive or invasive. I still get carded, and the drinking age here is 19. They really think I am under 19.
  • bikinisuited
    bikinisuited Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    The hell with growing old gracefully. I will fight it by whatever means necessary (that I can afford), as long as I stay natural looking.

And frankly, I think it's working. No one ever guesses how old I am. I get away with a lot younger.

How old are you? If you don't mind me asking.

Almost 38.

You look beautiful!! My style is looking great always and as youthful as you can. You ROCK!!!
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Don't care. I know too many women who are in their 40's or 50's and try so hard to look younger, it makes me feel bad for them.. They wear clothes from stores that target young adults, go out to bars full of college age kids. My mom is pre-occupied with covering her gray hair, being skinny, putting creams on age spots and wrinkles.

I find it incredibly sad.

Well, I always try my best to choose styles that are right for my age, but generally I do need to shop in stores that sell the smaller sized clothing. It's just the way it is if you are small and petite. My size isn't going to change in 10 to 15 years from now.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    I'm 41, and still more worried about pimples than wrinkles.

Me too, at 35.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    I live my life and enjoy it. The people in my family all look youthful, and live past the age of 100 (and even the people that abuse their bodies mostly with alcoholism). But, I'm still going to eat nutritiously, exercise, and wear hats and spf. Simple steps to prevent unnecessary early aging or health problems. The people in my family also have fair skin and have had skin cancer and lost their skin pigmentation from serious sunburns, but they still all look good (early detection and then they started wearing sunblock).

My great grandmother (my kids make her a great great grandmother) is 99, she still challenges men to arm wrestle, and she does high kicks (she was also a dancer). She still dresses fashionably and wears high heels.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    The good news for me is that I have NOT purchased an Affliction t-shirt yet. Although, i almost...ALMOST...purchased a two-seater convertible. Fortunately, I had a quick moment of clarity and didn't go through with it.
    Well done, sir; you've passed the test! :drinker: My husband has always been in love with MGs since we were kids, so I will see to it that someday he gets one. It will be red, with a license plate that says "BARCHETTA". But it will be so that WE can go for a ride in it together! :laugh:
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I haven't thought about getting old but that's probably because anytime someone asks for my ID they have to double check to make sure its not fake because no one believes I will be 31 in December.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    The only age-related issue I have right now is that my gray hairs are SOOOO sporadic (e.g. 1 here, 1 there, 5 over here, a cluster of 12 there, 3 in one eyebrow, etc.) And they always stick STRAIGHT out, like cat whiskers. I don't have any patches or streaks yet (e.g. temples), but then again I'd probably complain if I did. Oh well, 2 tears in a bucket...

One thing I have noticed is a major shift in how women address their age. When I was a young'n, it was universally rude to ask a woman's age and women never told how old they were. I didn't even know my own Mom's age until I was a teenager and say some documents. I still only have it narrowed down to a 3 year range because of a screw-up with her birth certificate that required YEARS to address through the legal system.
    In the past decade or so, I hear/see women whipping out their ages like badges of honor. On my last job, I knew the age of 90% of the women around me, not that I ever asked! They'd throw it out there like the Big Joker in a Spades tournament! Even on MFP, most women, and pretty much all in my FL have their ages listed. Now whether they're accurate ages is a whole 'nother matter! :wink:
  • svsl0928
    svsl0928 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I will be 53 this month. Age is just a number. Not trying to look younger just want do right as far a taking care of my health. :flowerforyou:
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Well, you youthful responders, I am 60 and the primary thing many (most) people my age are concerned with is lifestyle. Looks (while still not UNimportant )are more does s/he look good for his/her age. What you see at 60 is that you have probably 20ish years left and you want to be able to enjoy those to the maximum and perhaps survive healthy enough to dance at your grandchildren's weddings (or Phd hooding or whatever it is they want to celebrate). :smile: One final thought, lots of plastic surgery does not make a person look younger - it makes them look old with plastic surgery -- think Joan Rivers. :laugh:

I am sorry kcg. I really must disagree with your opinion of plastic surgery. Plastic surgery that makes someone "look old with plastic surgery" is bad plastic surgery. Probably done by a bad plastic surgeon.
    There is good plastic surgery. In fact, there is very good plastic surgery. The procedure that seems to improve appearance the most is a blepharoplasty -- removing the bags under the eyes. Surveys say that something like 90 percent of people who have a bleph are extremely satisfied with it and would recommend it to others. And, if you have ever seen a good one, it can take 5 years or more off of a person's appearance.
    The other procedures that really produce a bang for the buck (keep in mind that many do little or nothing) is a CO2 laser peel or a chemical peel. Those procedures can take care of a lot of sun damage and minor wrinkles. Course, they are pricey, painful and require about a week (or more) of 'down time' for recovery.
    Another poster also mentioned that she does the two things that credible dermatologists recommend for skin care, the concensus practices: She uses an exfoliant and sunscreen. To that I might add: use a skin-care product with a retinoid or with a beta-hydroxy acid.
    Most anti-aging creams are bogus. But those two ingredients have been proven to improve your skin's appearance and remove tiny wrinkles when used over time.
    I gotta agree with another poster too. That poster, annoyed that people who were too young were voicing somewhat unsympathetic opinions, said: Yeah, when I was in my 30s, I did not think I needed anything either.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Well, you youthful responders, I am 60 and the primary thing many (most) people my age are concerned with is lifestyle. Looks (while still not UNimportant )are more does s/he look good for his/her age. What you see at 60 is that you have probably 20ish years left and you want to be able to enjoy those to the maximum and perhaps survive healthy enough to dance at your grandchildren's weddings (or Phd hooding or whatever it is they want to celebrate). :smile: One final thought, lots of plastic surgery does not make a person look younger - it makes them look old with plastic surgery -- think Joan Rivers. :laugh:

I am sorry kcg. I really must disagree with your opinion of plastic surgery. Plastic surgery that makes someone "look old with plastic surgery" is bad plastic surgery. Probably done by a bad plastic surgeon.
    There is good plastic surgery. In fact, there is very good plastic surgery. The procedure that seems to improve appearance the most is a blepharoplasty -- removing the bags under the eyes. Surveys say that something like 90 percent of people who have a bleph are extremely satisfied with it and would recommend it to others. And, if you have ever seen a good one, it can take 5 years or more off of a person's appearance.
    The other procedures that really produce a bang for the buck (keep in mind that many do little or nothing) is a CO2 laser peel or a chemical peel. Those procedures can take care of a lot of sun damage and minor wrinkles. Course, they are pricey, painful and require about a week (or more) of 'down time' for recovery.
    Another poster also mentioned that she does the two things that credible dermatologists recommend for skin care, the concensus practices: She uses an exfoliant and sunscreen. To that I might add: use a skin-care product with a retinoid or with a beta-hydroxy acid.
    Most anti-aging creams are bogus. But those two ingredients have been proven to improve your skin's appearance and remove tiny wrinkles when used over time.
    I gotta agree with another poster too. That poster, annoyed that people who were too young were voicing somewhat unsympathetic opinions, said: Yeah, when I was in my 30s, I did not think I needed anything either.

There can be great plastic surgery, however.. yes, satisfaction with blephs is high immediately, but how many 5-15 year follow ups have been done? I ask because with the older technique that involves excising (vs repositioning) the fat, many have experienced a sunken look later on. I know there are fantastic ideas now about better ways to address the facial ecosystem (if you like) over time, but most potential consumers/patients are not equipped to ask the right questions to figure out who knows what.

Add to that variability in surgical skill, patient anatomy & recovery potential.. For a control freak of modest means, like me, there are just too many variables to take the risk. I have seen beautiful work, though, for sure!

& yup yup, I alternate a retinoid with a glycolic :) Peels, lasers, etc, would feel much easier about those...
  • 00sarah
    00sarah Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I live my life and enjoy it. The people in my family all look youthful, and live past the age of 100 (and even the people that abuse their bodies mostly with alcoholism). But, I'm still going to eat nutritiously, exercise, and wear hats and spf. Simple steps to prevent unnecessary early aging or health problems. The people in my family also have fair skin and have had skin cancer and lost their skin pigmentation from serious sunburns, but they still all look good (early detection and then they started wearing sunblock).

My great grandmother (my kids make her a great great grandmother) is 99, she still challenges men to arm wrestle, and she does high kicks (she was also a dancer). She still dresses fashionably and wears high heels.

Wow. She sounds like an amazing lady!
  • SierraZulu
    Options
    I just turned 40 and just started to see some fine lines appearing here and there over the last year. Looking youthful seems to run in my family, as does decent skin, so I've never been too concerned over it.

I dye my hair, but that's more because it's fun to try different colours and haircuts. I have grown it out to its natural ashy blonde, with grey "streaks" yes, and that didn't bother me either. Then I got bored after a while and dyed it again. LOL

I wear make-up because it's fun to create different looks for different occasions, but for the most part, I stick to mascara and lipgloss for every day. Going out without make up doesn't bother me either. I have always worked in an image-conscious industry, though, so I do make the effort to look polished for work.

I do use a moisturizing cream with sunscreen, because I have horribly fair skin and burn like crazy in the sun, which hurts! And I do exfoliate. That's about it.

Down the line, would I consider more drastic measures? I don't know. I've thought about it and I don't really want to look younger...just put together and good for my age. I'm not going to be 20 again. And I don't want to be. Happy where I am. It doesn't mean I'll let myself go and if the sagging gets too bad, who knows what I'll do? Never say never. LOL But for now, sunscreen, moisturizing and exfoliating are good enough for me.

All that said, the working out, the water consumption, the eating healthier have made not only a positive impact on the way I feel, but also on the way I look. I love being able to do more in life and feel good every day and see the impact on my looks as a bonus.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Once I've retired I will no longer risk bringing my profession into disrepute, so I'll be able to be as disgraceful as I like :laugh:

When I was teenager I bought eye cream. In my 20s I used moisturisers. Now, in my 30s, you're lucky if I remember SPF. For me, confidence in myself means a lack of interest in those things. I'm pretty sure whether or not I have wrinkles won't affect my ability to parent or teach well, so they aren't priorities. As an added bonus, my DH respects me for not wasting my money on lotions and potions, so overlooks all the other things I fritter my money away on :laugh:

So I won't be hiding my age, which some may find disgraceful, and I may even take more risks in future too.
  • dodihere
    Options
    Believe me, when I want to work this I can. No need for creams, injections, etc. I am confident in the person who I am, I do best with what God gave me and I don't worry about the rest. Being young is a state of mind. God forbid I have injections and my face freezes up like Nicole Kidman or plump my lips and people say, ooooh look at her lips. It doesn't even remotely look natural. There is no need for me to want to stick out in a crowd because I don't have attention or self esteem issues.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options

Wow. She sounds like an amazing lady!

This reminded me...caring about yourself is important. Dressing nice and showing that you care about your appearance is one thing. But, where is the line between classy and not classy? Where is the line between caring too much about how you look? I find these questions interesting. I guess I mostly expect 99 year-olds to walk around in moo-moos or sweat pants. Lol. So, to see them dressing everyday and taking care of themselves and enjoying life is awesome.

Caring too much? Spending way too much time strategizing or thinking about appearance; not being able to enjoy life if you don't meet some predetermined standard. Idk. It took me a bit of time to figure out the skin care routine that works for me, now I apply it without a thought & it takes little time. Same for learning how to dress myself to my best advantage. Now I can look at a pair of pants on the rack and tell how it'll probably fit. I have no probs going out w/o makeup, but I like the feeling of being 'put together' & like seeing others who give a crap. It is pleasing to the eye. To some degree it shows respect for yourself & the public space you're in. (I am not saying that wearing makeup = self respect, but I feel a bit deflated when I go to a town where everyone wears sweatpants & runners & practical haircuts bc they're 'comfortable' or easy.)

Classy? That's a question of subjective taste I guess. I have no probs with 60 year old women who wear short skirts, I think they're sassy.