Replies

• WhoHa42
    WhoHa42 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    IIFYM crew
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Any people out there who still eat processed sandwich meat and yet STILL enjoy the benefits of lifting heavy and seeing amazing results? Just curious. Thanks

Michael Phelps and Usain Bolt come to mind.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Better is very subjective.

Sausages and all their variants are by definition heavily processed. I'd take a loaded bratwurst over an organic grass fed steak any day. A pile of salami over a plain ol organic chicken breast.

Love a good corned beef brisket as compared to a regular brisket. I don't give a crap what the naysayers say, hot dogs are one of my favorite foods. I love honey ham on a sandwich.

Processed meats ARE the better alternative, contrary to the central point of your argument.
    How exactly is processed meat a better alternative than natural meat? Not in terms of IIFYM theory, I mean in terms of food quality.

Anti-processing and the chemophobia that comes with it is a bunch of rubbish.

Chemicals are everywhere and every chemical is naturally occurring. Response is always dose dependant and virtually nothing 'builds up" in the body.

Being perfectly safe, having a good macro profile, and tasting better = better alternative. Sorry.

By definition, synthetic chemicals are not naturally occurring, and processed foods are loaded with them. I cannot think of any reason, why I would want to consume added chemicals, antibiotics, pesticides, hormones, and steroids. Their presence negates any enjoyment I may get out of their taste.

By definition synthetic chemicals are not naturally occurring, yes. The rest of that sentence after the comma is not part of that definition though, nor is it strictly correct.

As for the second sentence, things like "antibiotics, pesticides, hormones, and steroids" are NOT added during processing. These, if used at all, will be used during growth of the crop/animal (and/or naturally occurring). So really not relevant to this thread.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Me.

About the only 'heavy lifting' I do is my wine glass though ...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm, so i can lose weight eating whatever I want - knew that! Moderation and within calorie goal is the key. BUT shouldn't there be some restictions when trying to lose body fat % and increase LBM??? heavy lifting.....big heavy ol' weights....should be fueling with good wholesome foods right? Maybe no alcohol? Low on the sugar and this includes fruite especially one high on the glycemic index.
    http://examine.com/faq/what-should-i-eat-for-weight-loss.html

Eating more protein helps with preserving LBM.

http://examine.com/faq/how-much-protein-do-i-need-every-day.html

Did you find those links using Google?

examine.com is a pretty solid site.
  • rsalty
    rsalty Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Any people out there who still eat processed sandwich meat and yet STILL enjoy the benefits of lifting heavy and seeing amazing results? Just curious. Thanks

I tried eating unprocessed, but I lost too much weight trying to catch it and keep it between the slices of bread. When I can catch it seems like half the time unprocessed meat eats the bread before I can! Now I generally try to have the meat slaughtered and butchered before I try to make a sandwich with it.

BTW: Unprocessed grains are *way* easier to eat than unprocessed meat. Probably why the grain people can gain more weight, and do so well surviving the winters.
    funny-pictures-running-chicken_zps921b732a.jpg

Please, no more fast food!
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options

Chemistry wasn't your strong point in school, eh?

No, I’m nowhere near as smart as you. I’ll tell you what, I’ll go behind the factory down the street, get a big bucket of the chemical waste that is barreled in the back, and you can drink a few cups of it. Its 100 percent natural chemicals! As long as its within your macros, you should be okay, bro…
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options

Interesting. I suppose natural "chemicals, antibiotics, pesticides, hormones, and steroids" are just fine though?

I'm curious how you would've survived before the advent of modern refrigeration. Basically everything was preserved before then.

You do realize there is a distinction between the use of these products in industrial farming versus other purposes, right?

If I didn't have a fridge available, I would need preservatives. But I do have one!!! So why would I want that crap in my food if I don't need it?
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options

Chemistry wasn't your strong point in school, eh?

No, I’m nowhere near as smart as you. I’ll tell you what, I’ll go behind the factory down the street, get a big bucket of the chemical waste that is barreled in the back, and you can drink a few cups of it. Its 100 percent natural chemicals! As long as its within your macros, you should be okay, bro…
    Water is a harmless chemical unless you ingest too much of it. Concentration matters.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    canned-chicken.jpg

I eat one of these for every meal!

I've seen this so many times and I still want to throw up on my computer every time :sick:
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options

All sandwich meat is processed nitwit.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    canned-chicken.jpg

I eat one of these for every meal!

I've seen this so many times and I still want to throw up on my computer every time :sick:

Meh! I'm desensitized at this point.
  • nikkylyn
    nikkylyn Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Honestly Im prob 50/50. Love my canned soup and deli meat. I eat as many fresh foods as.I can. But I know i wouldnt last Long without some sort of processed food.
  • JCES10
    JCES10 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Almost 100 lbs lost eating anything ! Portion control is the key !