All calories are not the same

Options

Replies

• aliciap412
    aliciap412 Posts: 170 Member
    Options

I think it's a moot point since the OP isn't participating in the discussion.

perhaps you are correct

better talk about cheesecake then
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

And so is a cooked chicken breast?

meat needs to be cooked but is still considered a whole food

plants aren't considered whole foods unless you can pick them up and eat them without needing to manipulate them

I apologize, I assumed this concept was understood by all before posting
    But processing (or cooking, if you will) meat or vegetables doesn't change that classification?
  • aliciap412
    Options

You're missing how arbitrary your concept actually is.

this is a concept learned in Nutrition 101, chapter 1
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Okay then. You clearly know what you're doing. Please do teach us more . . .
  • aliciap412
    Options

plants aren't considered whole foods unless you can pick them up and eat them without needing to manipulate them

But processing (or cooking, if you will) meat or vegetables doesn't change that classification?

whole food
    noun
    food that has been processed or refined as little as possible and is free from additives or other artificial substances.
  • aliciap412
    Options

I don't know everything, not even close. I'm here to learn from everyone, think critically, etc.

feel free to disagree with me and make other suggestions here.
  • BeachIron
    Options

whole food
    noun
    food that has been processed or refined as little as possible and is free from additives or other artificial substances.

"[A]s little as possible" for what exactly?

For human consumption?

You can eat raw chicken so by your own definition, you are incorrect.
  • NoAdditives
    Options

whole food
    noun
    I fail to see how drying and grinding wheat is a lot of processing or refining.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    most pizza unless homemade is not just toamtoes and cheese lol. If you think so you are deluded. Pizza chains use hfcs and all kinds of chemicals to keep the ingredients stable. Pizza hut dough is premade and spread with all kinds of butter oil, especially the pan pizza, ever see the grease film (yellow) on your hands? Do not try to say frankenfood is just innocent tomatoes and hey what's wrong with that? LOL
    Please, enough with the 'frankenfood' loaded language fallacy. Sorry you have an irrational fear of some foods and feel the need to demonize them to make it seem less ridiculous.
  • NoAdditives
    Options

whole food
    noun

For human consumption?

Meat definitely requires more processing than wheat in order to be safely edible.
  • BeachIron
    Options

I don't know everything, not even close. I'm here to learn from everyone, think critically, etc.

feel free to disagree with me and make other suggestions here.

Then perhaps what you learned in "Nutrition 101, chapter 1' was incorrect? But again, what is the significance of this concept? Does it have any relevance to human health?
  • aliciap412
    Options

whole food
    noun

For human consumption?

you're absolutely right. my statement of "meat needs to be cooked" was false.

but meat is still considered a whole food, I'm not wrong about that
  • aliciap412
    Options

Then perhaps what you learned in "Nutrition 101, chapter 1' was incorrect? But again, what is the significance of this concept? Does it have any relevance to human health?

does it?

thats why I brought it up
  • NoAdditives
    Options

whole food
    noun

For human consumption?

Then do you see why it's stupid that wheat isn't considered a whole food?
  • ShadeBlossom
    ShadeBlossom Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    whole food
    noun

In this case, I'm confused by your wheat/flour example. Are you suggesting that there's a better way to ingest wheat with LESS processing than it takes to make flour? And I'm talking about wheat flour, simply hulled and ground. Not bleaching, enriching, or anything else. Just flour.

Or are you suggesting that wheat isn't meant to be eaten at all?
  • BeachIron
    Options

whole food
    noun

For human consumption?

Meat definitely requires more processing than wheat in order to be safely edible.

I'm not sure that I agree with that statement. Wheat doesn't take much after harvest, but meat may require just butchering if the animal was raised correctly. Humm . . . does this "processing" or "whole" concept include human intervention in the process of raising animals and planting crops?
  • aliciap412
    Options

I'm not, although there are many medical doctors making this suggestion, I'm not going there.

I was suggesting that its not necessarily a whole food since its a plant that you can't pick and eat.

in other words, bread is a processed food.

please feel free to disagree, respectfully, and I'll continue the discussion. I don't respond to insults, only fellow critical thinkers.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    This doesn't surprise me, majority of you use chemical substances such as aspartame ad sucralose as an alternative to sugar, because someone, somewhere told you it's completely healthy and natural.

Anyways, I dare any of you to consume 1200 calories of pizza a day for a month and monitor your results.
    Now the next month eat 1200 calories of whole natural foods, preferably raw, organic fruits and vegetables. including raw nuts. and no, peanuts are not nuts. Now if you yield the same results with both diets I would be amazed, and it's simply would not happen. The fact is, at the end of the day, your body stores away fat in a means of protecting you. It's not going to store away the vegetables because it doesn't contain any fat, your body wants to store fat in case you suddenly don't have food anymore.
    Pizza is a completely man made food, your body wasn't even designed to even digest man made foods . The body thrives on natural foods.

"We conclude that a calorie is a calorie. From a purely thermodynamic point of view, this is clear because the human body or, indeed, any living organism cannot create or destroy energy but can only convert energy from one form to another. In comparing energy balance between dietary treatments, however, it must be remembered that the units of dietary energy are metabolizable energy and not gross energy. This is perhaps unfortunate because metabolizable energy is much more difficult to determine than is gross energy, because the Atwater factors used in calculating metabolizable energy are not exact. As such, our food tables are not perfect, and small errors are associated with their use.

In addition, we concede that the substitution of one macronutrient for another has been shown in some studies to have a statistically significant effect on the expenditure half of the energy balance equation. This has been observed most often for high-protein diets. Evidence indicates, however, that the difference in energy expenditure is small and can potentially account for less than one-third of the differences in weight loss that have been reported between high-protein or low-carbohydrate diets and high-carbohydrate or low-fat diets. As such, a calorie is a calorie. Further research is needed to identify the mechanisms that result in greater weight loss with one diet than with another. "

Study: http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/79/5/899S.full

But I guess your brilliant arguement of "Because I said so!" is a good enough counterargument.

:love:
  • BeachIron
    Options

whole food
    noun

For human consumption?

Okay. So meat may be eaten raw, but even if it is cooked, it is considered a whole food? But if wheat is soaked and ground, then it is no longer a "whole food"?

Is the problem the food or is the problem the arbitrary concept of "whole food"?
  • NoAdditives
    Options

I'm not, although there are many medical doctors making this suggestion, I'm not going there.

I was suggesting that its not necessarily a whole food since its a plant that you can't pick and eat.

in other words, bread is a processed food.

Of course bread is a processed food. So is ratatouille or anything else that is cooked. We're not talking about bread, we're talking about wheat flour, not finished products you can make with it.