Options
    Well then I'll go with wikipedia selectively? lol

:laugh: And the great debate continues. :P
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Great. I'll be up all night stressing over the answer . . .
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    You're going to get hammered by the IIFYM posse, look out!
  • janegalt37
    janegalt37 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Next thing you know, people are going to start claiming that pie isn't really pie, but I'll eat the hell out of some pie.

Pot pie isn't really a pie, it's a stew with a crust. Discuss.

Agree. If it had a crust on the bottom as well, then it would be a savory pie. Like meat pies. YesNo?
  • MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    Options

Great. I'll be up all night stressing over the answer . . .

Well there is no debate as to whether or not cheesecake is delicious. Because those that say it isn't, well, they're just flat out wrong.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Next thing you know, people are going to start claiming that pie isn't really pie, but I'll eat the hell out of some pie.

Pot pie isn't really a pie, it's a stew with a crust. Discuss.

food-signs_zps76db26df.jpg
  • jodyblanchard
    jodyblanchard Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I so appreciate this article. I read it with great interest. I believe the author hits the nail on the head. While a calorie is a calorie, I know that a chicken breast is better for me, and makes me feel better physically, than a coke. Simple.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I so appreciate this article. I read it with great interest. I believe the author hits the nail on the head. While a calorie is a calorie, I know that a chicken breast is better for me, and makes me feel better physically, than a coke. Simple.

You need context. I know that a coke will make me feel better when I first wake up due to the caffeine jolt.
  • pamuyamakene
    pamuyamakene Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    For anyone who is really interested in knowing the truth about calories not leading to the same result I suggest checking this website out. To get into the digits, would suggest prior knowledge of how lipids, proteins and fats are metabolized and stored by the body.

http://www.jissn.com/content/1/2/21

It contains the results of studies, performed on same calorie high carb diets and low carb diets, and I'm not going to summarize it, read it for yourselves please!
  • aliciap412
    aliciap412 Posts: 170 Member
    Options

You need context. I know that a coke will make me feel better when I first wake up due to the caffeine jolt.

and the jolt to your blood sugar, which will crash

same issue with pizza vs a lean protein and veg
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    ...I know that a chicken breast is better for me, and makes me feel better physically, than a coke.

Calories as nothing to do with it. To actually demonstrate the OP's claim, you need to produce two foods with same calories, similar nutrient profile, one "healthy" and one "man made".

And then show a meaningful difference in body recomposition between people ingesting the two different foods.

Good luck with that...
  • whierd
    Options

and the jolt to your blood sugar, which will crash

same issue with pizza vs a lean protein and veg

I would say that is true for a lot of people, but I don't really experience that crash.
  • aliciap412
    Options
    ...I know that a chicken breast is better for me, and makes me feel better physically, than a coke.

Calories as nothing to do with it. To actually demonstrate the OP's claim, you need to produce two foods with same calories, similar nutrient profile, one "healthy" and one "man made".

And then show a meaningful difference in body recomposition between people ingesting the two different foods.

Good luck with that...

to be fair, only the OP can clarify whether or not he meant to emphasize the difference in nutrient profile or if he really just wanted to claim that there is a difference with healthy vs man made foods
  • pamuyamakene
    pamuyamakene Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/01/opinion/sunday/what-really-makes-us-fat.html?_r=0

This article by the NY Times is a pretty good read on this topic.
  • whierd
    Options

Good luck with that...

to be fair, only the OP can clarify whether or not he meant to emphasize the difference in nutrient profile or if he really just wanted to claim that there is a difference with healthy vs man made foods

I disagree with the dichotomy that food is either healthy or man made.
  • aliciap412
    Options

I'd personally need someone (OP) to define man made if that is what he's going for
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

So do I.

The OP is up to bat.
  • sugafreak
    sugafreak Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    What you mean is the nutrients are not the same. Which has nothing to do with calories. 250 calories is 250 calories no matter what the food is.
  • whierd
    Options
    I'm thinking that 250 calories of pizza has more nutrients than 250 calories of chicken.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking that 250 calories of pizza has more nutrients than 250 calories of chicken.
    A wider spectrum fo sho.