All calories are not the same

Options

Replies

• pamuyamakene
    pamuyamakene Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I agree with the OP

It's about how your body utilizes a calorie of fat, protein or carbohydrate that makes the difference in nutrition and weight loss. Fats spend very little energy to be metabolized and stored as compared with carbs and proteins.

Check this website out :
    http://home.trainingpeaks.com/articles/nutrition/a-calorie-is-not-a-calorie.aspx

. 'The energy cost to metabolize fat, carbs and protein is different

The body must use energy to digest, absorb and metabolize the energy in food. And it so happens that the body uses different amounts of energy to process different energy-containing nutrients. Generally, more energy is required to process protein than carbs, and more energy is required to process carbs than fat. What this means effectively is that a 2,500-calories-a-day high-protein diet adds fewer calories to the body than a 2,500-calories-a-day high-carb diet, which in turn adds fewer calories to the body than a 2,500-calories-a-day high-fat diet.
    Admittedly, the differences are small. They do not in themselves constitute a rationale to consume a high-protein, low-fat diet for weight management.'

For fats to be broken down and absorbed they need only one enzymic reaction, taking energy from the fats only once. Proteins need two minimum reactions to breakdown, carbs as well. So we end up storing more of a calorie of lipid as compared to a calorie of protein or carbohydrate.

That is food for thought!

So that's food for thought.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Anyways, I dare any of you to consume 1200 calories of pizza a day for a month and monitor your results.
    Now the next month eat 1200 calories of whole natural foods, preferably raw, organic fruits and vegetables. including raw nuts.
    That's a ridiculous comparison because nobody eats nothing but pizza every day for a month, and you are comparing one food to a huge variety of foods. If you want to make it fair, have one month of eating only pizza and the other month of eating only broccoli.

Guess what, if you only eat broccoli for extended periods of time you'd get sick. That doesn't mean broccoli is bad for you, it just means people who make these arguments have no sense of context.

I think this has the makings of a challenge - create a pizza that meets all macro- and micro- nutrient requirements and can be eaten at every meal. I think I could do it, and by George, maybe I will.

I'm pretty sure that even eating only regular pizza would put you in better health condition than eating only broccoli. Choose a combination pizza with some meat and plenty of vegetables and it's a laughable no-contest.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I'd eat pizza for a month if it can be homemade. I'm pretty sure I could even hit my macros this way.

Haha! Great minds think alike.

bleh.

I could eat a BURGER everyday.(srs)

I probably could too. I'd just have a harder time hitting my macros.
    why is that?

6oz sirloin beef patty has about 50g of protein and 20g of fat.
    if you go for something like 96/4, 4oz has about 24g of protein for 4g of fat.

Hmm. That could actually work.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    It's craziness. PeaNUTs are not a nut. CheeseCAKE is not a cake.

IT IS INSANITY

Cheesecake is generally classified as a custard tart due to its lack of flour. However, New York style cheesecake does contain flour, and therefore could be classified as cake.

Custard pie or torte are the two things I will accept. :angry:

Maybe the general consensus is custard pie and I just got confused.

A huge thunderstorm last night kept waking up my kids and I didn't get much sleep. If my husband hadn't just left for a weeklong elk hunt I'd probably allow myself to pass out, that's how tired I am.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I agree with the OP

It's about how your body utilizes a calorie of fat, protein or carbohydrate that makes the difference in nutrition and weight loss. Fats spend very little energy to be metabolized and stored as compared with carbs and proteins.

Check this website out :
    http://home.trainingpeaks.com/articles/nutrition/a-calorie-is-not-a-calorie.aspx

The body must use energy to digest, absorb and metabolize the energy in food. And it so happens that the body uses different amounts of energy to process different energy-containing nutrients. Generally, more energy is required to process protein than carbs, and more energy is required to process carbs than fat. What this means effectively is that a 2,500-calories-a-day high-protein diet adds fewer calories to the body than a 2,500-calories-a-day high-carb diet, which in turn adds fewer calories to the body than a 2,500-calories-a-day high-fat diet.
    Admittedly, the differences are small. They do not in themselves constitute a rationale to consume a high-protein, low-fat diet for weight management.'

a calorie is a unit of measurement.

We are talking about a unit of measurement.
  • whierd
    Options

IT IS INSANITY

Cheesecake is generally classified as a custard tart due to its lack of flour. However, New York style cheesecake does contain flour, and therefore could be classified as cake.

A huge thunderstorm last night kept waking up my kids and I didn't get much sleep. If my husband hadn't just left for a weeklong elk hunt I'd probably allow myself to pass out, that's how tired I am.

It is actually a matter of contention. Plus cheesecake varies from country to country as well.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I agree with the OP

Check this website out :

You're talking about the different thermic effects of various macros...

This is majoring in the minors. This sort of information will not make the slightest bit of difference unless you're literally getting ready to down to single digit bodyfat and step on stage to be critiqued. Even then, it won't make that much of a difference if your are consistently tracking your intake over an extended period of time.
  • tonyyung779
    tonyyung779 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I agree with the OP

Check this website out :

Not only are the differences small....they are negligible. People WAY over think and over analyze this stuff. Eat less calories than you burn if only weight loss is your goal. If you goal is body recomp, make sure the calories are properly balanced with protein/carb/fat and lift weights. Why would anyone want to over complicate this.
  • MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    Options

IT IS INSANITY

It is actually a matter of contention. Plus cheesecake varies from country to country as well.

I'll go with wikipedia: "Cheesecakes, despite their name, aren't really cakes at all. Cheesecakes are in fact custard pies, with a filling made mostly of some form of cheese (often cream cheese, mascarpone, ricotta or the like), and have very little flour added, although a flour-based or graham cracker crust may be used. Cheesecakes are also very old, with evidence of honey-sweetened cakes dating back to ancient Greece."
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    This doesn't surprise me, majority of you use chemical substances such as aspartame ad sucralose as an alternative to sugar, because someone, somewhere told you it's completely healthy and natural.

Anyways, I dare any of you to consume 1200 calories of pizza a day for a month and monitor your results.
    Now the next month eat 1200 calories of whole natural foods, preferably raw, organic fruits and vegetables. including raw nuts. and no, peanuts are not nuts. Now if you yield the same results with both diets I would be amazed, and it's simply would not happen. The fact is, at the end of the day, your body stores away fat in a means of protecting you. It's not going to store away the vegetables because it doesn't contain any fat, your body wants to store fat in case you suddenly don't have food anymore.
    Pizza is a completely man made food, your body wasn't even designed to even digest man made foods . The body thrives on natural foods.

PeaNUTS are not nuts? Yeah, okay....

Okay, as much as I hate to defend anything from this post, peanuts are actually legumes (as opposed to tree nuts).
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    This is an argument I have quite often with people.
    All calories are not the same. 250 calories from a slice of pizza is not the same as 250 calories from a meal consisting of grilled chicken breast, a side of quinoa and fresh raw spinach.

If you agree or disagree, please post in the in the comment section below

3pvlfj.jpg
  • Fiona_Cami89
    Fiona_Cami89 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Jaffa Cake....Biscuit or Cake?

It's found in the biscuit aisle, is shaped like a biscuit and referred to as such....but being British, the argument went BIG and was finally classed as cake in a court of law. The deciding factor? A Jaffa cake goes stale instead of soft. Cake goes stale, biscuits go soft. McVities took the argument to court over an age-old VAT argument. Good lord! We've all gone maaaad!!!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    This is an argument I have quite often with people.
    All calories are not the same. 250 calories from a slice of pizza is not the same as 250 calories from a meal consisting of grilled chicken breast, a side of quinoa and fresh raw spinach.

If you agree or disagree, please post in the in the comment section below

Of course not, the pizza tastes a lot better.
  • whierd
    Options

IT IS INSANITY

I'll go with wikipedia: "Cheesecakes, despite their name, aren't really cakes at all. Cheesecakes are in fact custard pies, with a filling made mostly of some form of cheese (often cream cheese, mascarpone, ricotta or the like), and have very little flour added, although a flour-based or graham cracker crust may be used. Cheesecakes are also very old, with evidence of honey-sweetened cakes dating back to ancient Greece."

Also from Wikipedia: "Whether baked cheesecake should be classified as a cake, a custard, a torte, or something else is a matter of debate.

The early Greeks considered it a cake. Some modern authors point to the presence of many eggs, the sole source of leavening, as proof that it is a torte. Still others claim that the separate crust, the soft filling, and the absence of flour prove that it is a custard pie.[11]"
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

IT IS INSANITY

Also from Wikipedia: "Whether baked cheesecake should be classified as a cake, a custard, a torte, or something else is a matter of debate.

The early Greeks considered it a cake. Some modern authors point to the presence of many eggs, the sole source of leavening, as proof that it is a torte. Still others claim that the separate crust, the soft filling, and the absence of flour prove that it is a custard pie.[11]"

Next thing you know, people are going to start claiming that pie isn't really pie, but I'll eat the hell out of some pie.
  • whierd
    Options
    Next thing you know, people are going to start claiming that pie isn't really pie, but I'll eat the hell out of some pie.

Pot pie isn't really a pie, it's a stew with a crust. Discuss.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Great, another thread started by someone who doesn't know the difference between a calorie and a nutrient....
  • Wildflower0106
    Wildflower0106 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    This doesn't surprise me, majority of you use chemical substances such as aspartame ad sucralose as an alternative to sugar, because someone, somewhere told you it's completely healthy and natural.

Now the next month eat 1200 calories of whole natural foods, preferably raw, organic fruits and vegetables. including raw nuts. and no, peanuts are not nuts. Now if you yield the same results with both diets I would be amazed, and it's simply would not happen. The fact is, at the end of the day, your body stores away fat in a means of protecting you. It's not going to store away the vegetables because it doesn't contain any fat, your body wants to store fat in case you suddenly don't have food anymore.
    Pizza is a completely man made food, your body wasn't even designed to even digest man made foods . The body thrives on natural foods.

What is with the dares like this on here? Who the effe would want to eat pizza every day and nothing else? Most people include variety in their food choices. Hit your macros, make sure you get plenty of vitamins and minerals and don't eat over your goal calories and enjoy a few slices of pizza every once in a while. It does not have to be all or nothing.

A calorie is a calorie, NUTRITION can vary from food to food but as long as you are meeting your nutritional needs overall, mixing in foods with lower nutritional values won't effect you negatively.

My favorite pizza that I make at home is grilled chicken, spinach and fresh mushrooms on a crispy thin crust... NUMMY!
  • MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    Options

IT IS INSANITY

Well then I'll go with wikipedia selectively? lol
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

IT IS INSANITY

false-dwight-schrute-facts.jpg

Cheesecake is it's own delicious food group.

cheesecake-with-raspberry.jpg