Why all the negativity???Where is the Motivation?

Options

Replies

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Honestly? People get called "bullies" for calling bogus diet trends bogus diet trends. It gets freaking old. "Oh no, how dare you say Fat Flush Water/Detox #112/My 21 Day Water Fast is a load of crap? BULLY!"

I do not know what prompted your particular rant, and I honestly don't care enough to browse through your posting history or try and read your mind. I've just quit taking these "everyone's sooo mean" threads seriously because as a whole they are posted when someone cannot tell the difference between calling an idea stupid and calling a person stupid.

First whether it be the person on simply the idea... it should never be called stupid. That is what I am talking about. Why must it be "stupid " because you don't agree with it?

I disagree.. there are plenty of stupid ideas (i.e. the above "diet plans") floating around the forums and they absolutely should be called stupid and more! .

agreed. When I have a stupid idea at work, someone says "No, stop, don't do that. It is a bad plan and you'll end up breaking something.". No one says "congrats for having an idea!" Yet somehow I go on living.

also,
    boop-cat.gif
  • midnight_storm
    midnight_storm Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    also,
    boop-cat.gif

oh.
    my.
    goodness.

Why am I a sucker for a cute kitty picture!?
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lroxf3TA9B1qbhtrto1_400.gif
  • jhloves2knit
    jhloves2knit Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I deal with all of this with humour. When there's no bad reaction, they quit and then we laugh.
    If you get upset it will make them try harder to wound you. Take it in your stride.

Words of wisdom. I had a mocking reply on a thread I posted, and I just ignored it. The person actually answered my question further down in my thread.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    It's posts like these that make me want to just say "Eff the newbies" and stop giving decent advice.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I deal with all of this with humour. When there's no bad reaction, they quit and then we laugh.
    If you get upset it will make them try harder to wound you. Take it in your stride.

Words of wisdom. I had a mocking reply on a thread I posted, and I just ignored it. The person actually answered my question further down in my thread.

well the world don't move to the beat of just one drum
    Anordd.jpg
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I do sometimes see negativity I don't know if people are just trying to be funny on the forums and that is why they make comments like that sometimes or if they just are over hungry and crabby cuz of that or cuz of giving up sugary treats they love so much. But I just try to tell myself I don't know their lifestyle or how their day was maybe they just had a bad day and then I just ignore those posts n read the positive ones and the ones that give solid advice. probably in most cases those are the people that need extra support the most. People that are really sarcastic generally prob have been hurt at one time over something before.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    It's posts like these that make me want to just say "Eff the newbies" and stop giving decent advice.

I wonder if people even realize how often that has truly happened in recent years...

Of course, I also wonder if they actually care. Perhaps in their minds the forums would be a better place if it was all motivations and supports regardless of the imprudence of the advice.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I gots to know! How do you give the silent treatment on a message board????
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
  • rml_16
    Options
    Touche.
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    In.
  • whierd
    Options

I wonder if people even realize how often that has truly happened in recent years...

Of course, I also wonder if they actually care. Perhaps in their minds the forums would be a better place if it was all motivations and supports regardless of the imprudence of the advice.

I have seen the exodus and I am really starting to "get it" as to why they burn out or just stick to the private groups.

And no, the people that do the most complaining are the ones that will likely burn out and quit in a month or two anyway.

And I'm almost positive that people would rather see the "support" and misinformation like they have to eat only fruits, veggies, and free range beef/chicken to lose weight and that carbs make you fat.
  • gallowglasslass
    gallowglasslass Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I was just raised to be nice to others and not to ever be rude or disrespectful. Everyone was not raised that way sadly.

Telling other people that you regret their upbringing sounds kind of, ah, rude and disrespectful. Just a wee bit.

Sounds too much like "I'm sorry you had bad parents".
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

My god, if all the 'mean people' went on strike...could you imagine it? It would be a wasteland of HCG injections, juice fasts, and banana diets.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    I was just raised to be nice to others and not to ever be rude or disrespectful. Everyone was not raised that way sadly.

Telling other people that you regret their upbringing sounds kind of, ah, rude and disrespectful. Just a wee bit.

Sounds too much like "I'm sorry you had bad parents".

Unfortunately, inability to understand sarcasm and inability to recognize hypocrisy are highly correlated.
  • rml_16
    Options

I was raised with a sense of humor, personally. Sadly, not everyone was.
  • whierd
    Options

My god, if all the 'mean people' went on strike...could you imagine it? It would be a wasteland of HCG injections, juice fasts, and banana diets.

If I could organize a month-long strike of this sort....I would.
  • mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I've only really been reading the forums for a few weeks. I think the post-count should be removed from people's posts, I see way too much judgement based on post-count alone. Some people wear it as a badge of honour, and like to disregard others who've just joined, or just started posting. Because you know, this forum is the only place in the whole internet to talk about weightloss *rolls eyes* More often than not, if I see a particularly nasty comment, its from someone with 5000+ posts, who feels entitled to speak in such a way because they've heard it all before.

Also I am already sick of the hilarious 'jokes' everyone likes to repeat. Dihydrogen monoxide is poison LOL!!!!! I am so much smarter than everyone else, nobody realises what it even is LOL!

Cute, real cute.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Sarcasm, even though everyone 'speaks' it(a ton of friends on Facebook have 'Sarcasm' as a language), is literally used to try to make a person feel stupid and then makes the person using sarcasm feel all giddy on the inside. Basically, the person using sarcasm is getting pleasure from someone else's pain. I don't know about you, but that sounds like sadism, to me. Of course, sadism without physical pain and -sexual- pleasure. But to me, it's very sadistic-like.

If you're going to use energy to reply to a post, don't waste it with negativity or sarcasm.

Be kind!

Actually, you called people that employ sarcasm sadistic, said they are made happy by making other people feel stupid and causing pain, and are negative, but nope, none of that would be judgemental or hurtful to say to someone.

Oh, and you're being a bully by refusing to respond to a post that uses sarcasm, because that's "silent treatment".

See, it just all depends on how I want to interpret your intentions. Hence why I choose to interpret people's intentions as generally good, with a little variety in the delivery. That way, my feelings never get hurt.
This discussion has been closed.