Do you men really want a low maintenance woman?

Options

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I would just like for you to be able to go outdoors without it being a two hour long process.

Really, you don't need to dress your best and have perfect makeup to pop to the petrol station to buy some milk.

Also, no, I really do not give a crap about reality TV or the newest gossip/drama happening between people I have no involvement with.
  • Wantingslim
    Options
    Bump
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Yes, but low maintenance has nothing to do with that. I have my own definition for a high maintenance woman. A high maintenance woman, to me, is a woman who is only capable of understanding and processing one expression of love/affection: sacrifice. A high maintenance woman will constantly put her man in a position where he must make otherwise unnecessary sacrifices--whether of his money, time, effort, or of his mental/emotional well being--because unlike a normal woman, who can understand and process many different forms of love and affection, she is only capable of understanding sacrifice.

That being said I do prefer a woman who doesn't invest too much effort in appearance. I prefer a practically minded woman who doesn't place much value in pointless accessories.
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    If you can't get ready for an average day in under 30 minutes you're a lunatic and should be locked away. Bottom line. If you have some important meeting fine, paint yourself up like a totem pole. Otherwise who the heck are you trying to impress, the people you see every single day? Give me a break.

13610eagle_totem_pole.jpg
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    A high maintenance woman will constantly put her man in a position where he must make otherwise unnecessary sacrifices--whether of his money, time, effort, or of his mental/emotional well being--because unlike a normal woman, who can understand and process many different forms of love and affection, she is only capable of understanding sacrifice.

That is a really good way of explaining it. I never thought of it that way but I'mm'a keep this definition in my back pocket.
  • amandamae61288
    amandamae61288 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I didn't read through the 7 ish pages of comments so forgive me if I am repeating anything:

You know who has this debate over and over? Not men, not men's magazine. Women. Women debate about this with other women and in women's magazines. Women care more about finding out if other women are high/low maintenance than men do.

I consider myself pretty low maintenance. I do not own one stich of make-up. I do not do mani/pedis. I get my hair cut at Fantastic Sams about once a year and probably go shopping less often than that. I was lucky enough to find a man that was cool with that.

I also like sports, to a degree. I am not "naggy". I am honest and trusting. And I allow him to be him and love him for it just like he loves me for me.

Men's perception of high/ low maintenance probably has more to do with emotional stability than a beauty routine.

The key is finding someone who loves you for you- all of you, including your daily maintenance routine, whatever that may be.

But, in general- men wont care as long as your routine isn't wasting their time or otherwise annoying. And as long as you aren't a shallow materialistic piece of work.

My two cents..
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I mean, really? Whether it's the monetary cost or time savings, do you really think you'd be happier with a low maintenance woman? All I hear is complaining about how much a haircut/color costs or how much time it takes to straighten hair, put on makeup, etc. I'm just wondering. Only about 2% of us can get away with being naturally pretty. We all need a little help.

Thoughts?

a woman is not a car. every relationship requires effort for it to be productive. "maintenance' should be replaced by 'drama'
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    You guys give men too much credit. They dont know what the like or dont like until a woman tells them. Remember they only share one collective brain.
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Well. I guess I'll be the only woman in here who will voluntarily state that she IS high-maintenance. Kind of.

I am high maintenance in the sense that I routinely go for hair / nail appointments. I even got TWO massages last week. When I go shopping I DO buy designer clothes / jewelry and I don't feel guilty about it. I drive "high end" cars...with plans to go "exotic" in the near future. I like to travel, and I want to travel more.

BUT.....I am the bread winner. It's MY money. I still get up and out of the house in 15-30 mins and I am NO DRAMA. I hate drama. Matter of fact, I have very few female friends (outside of MFP, ironically) because I was grew up TomBoy and just can't deal with most women any better than the guys can. When I shop, I buy what I want, right then and there, no wandering from store to store trying to find deals, discounts, or sales. I get what I need, and leave....just like a guy. I am married to a career Navy guy and I spend a lot of time at work....which means a lot of time alone / not with my significant other. Eight deployments later, we're still married and going strong, so I guess I'm definitely not co-dependent.

The truth is that low-maintenance is relative. My personal grooming habits are technically HIGH maintenance in terms of cost / time to ME....they have no impact to my spouse, who only benefits from having a well-groomed, pretty wife. I suppose if HE was paying for it, I would then be deemed truly high maintenance. In addition, I enjoy a variety of hobbies that a very male-oriented, so hubby gets to benefit from me not complaining about doing stuff that any red-blooded man would enjoy.
  • 91lowharley
    91lowharley Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Isn't it funny though that when they have a low maintenance woman they have a tendency to check out a femal that is not.
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    Options
    Low maintenance to me doesn't equal skimping on anything they want to do to feel better about themselves. To me, it's being able to be their own woman and having enough confidence to be able to find their own happiness outside of a relationship. There are many relationships where one participant (men too, I'm not being sexist) has self esteem issues to the point that they're questioning the others' motives for having interests, goals, etc, that don't concern them.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Isn't it funny though that when they have a low maintenance woman they have a tendency to check out a femal that is not.
    See, you're not really in a position to come to that conclusion, being that you are not low maintenance.*

*if I were judging you entirely on your jealous-sounding post
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I am as low maintenance as it can get- almost NIL. I get ready before my husband(which in itself says a lot), hate shopping, don't like to wear make up or go a lot to parlors. Hubby met me when i was this way and loved me for who i am and so works out great for both of us :drinker:
  • fitmomhappymom
    fitmomhappymom Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    A high maintenance woman will constantly put her man in a position where he must make otherwise unnecessary sacrifices--whether of his money, time, effort, or of his mental/emotional well being--because unlike a normal woman, who can understand and process many different forms of love and affection, she is only capable of understanding sacrifice.

:huh: you've got to be kidding right?
    I pay for my own hair, nails, cosmetics, clothes, shoes, procedures, etc. I make more money than my SO. I require nothing from him other than friendship and love. Time, effort and sacrifice for the good of the family is something we BOTH put in and is to be expected for any relationship.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    If I wore yoga pants 80% of the time, I think my boyfriend would be ok with that. I don't do that, lol, but he would probably be ok with it.
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    If I wore yoga pants 80% of the time, I think my boyfriend would be ok with that. I don't do that, lol, but he would probably be ok with it.

My hubby LOVES them! Can't keep his hands off me when I get home from a good workout...I'm all hot & sweaty but it doesn't bother him at ALL! :bigsmile:
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    how boring
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    it doesn't take make up, hair color or clothes to make a woman pretty. Hell, all we wanna do is get ya naked!!!!

lololol :drinker:

And, that, ladies and gents, is the sad effin truth! :indifferent:

Actually it does take those things in order for men to get to that point!!
  • Mechanikitty
    Mechanikitty Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I consider myself high-maintenance. Would he have to pull me kicking and screaming from my comfy bed everyday? Yes. Would I make him cancel dinner reservations because my sixth run of Skyrim is more important? Yes. Would he have to tell me to cut my hair because my fringe had slowly covered my whole face? Damn right he'd have to. I can't even make a bed or work a washing machine. My hands aren't used to temperatures above 'cold' so forget the dishes.

Everyone has stuff that makes up for the bad stuff though. I'm an awesome cook, I can fix anything if it's electronic, I don't need constant reminders that he's into me because it's always sexytime, I don't even own a phone to send nagging texts with, I have no female friends to ***** about him to, I'm awesome, I give great hugs... I'm awesome -wait did I say that before?

I think high/low-maintenance is really whether a guy thinks the pros out-weigh the cons. If the cons are too much the relationship will be hard to maintain, if he can look past that then it'll be easy. People who don't spend 2 hours getting ready can be high-maintenance too, y'know, just in a different way.
  • missbp
    missbp Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Several women have responded with their "routine" and say they are low maintenance. Some have listed things like shampooing hair, air drying hair, ponytails etc. My question for you ladies is, do you shave? Legs?, Underarms? Other places :blushing: ?

I do. All of the above. Everyday. I wash and dry my hair. Everyday. I wear a little bit of makeup. About as much as you see in my profile pic. My clothes are always neat and clean. Pressed even, when called for. My "routine" can be completed in about 35-40 minutes. I am usually ready before everyone else. That includes men.

Oh, and some of the guys have mentioned not liking to have their time wasted by waiting around. I totally agree. I get really pi$$ed off when I go away with my girlfriends and I offer to get in the shower last, so give them a head start on their "routine". Sometimes a full hour after them, and I am still standing around waiting on them to "be ready".

Not sure if any of the above makes me low maintenance or high. Either way, I'll live with it.