Do you men really want a low maintenance woman?

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Men may say they want a low maintenance woman, but if many people like myself were truly low-maintenance, they'd be singing a different tune.

Between having PCOS, high testosterone levels and all of the side effects of that: cystic acne that is no longer an issue but has left scarring all over my face, excessive hair growth that makes me have to shave not only me legs and armpits, but also my belly, chest and neck. If I didn't wear enough makeup to smooth out my complexion, you would think I was in some kind of chemical spill.

To regulate my condition and my hormones I have to eat right, constantly struggle to lose weight, take medication. It takes a lot of effort for me to just feel normal and feminine and be happy with myself, let alone look attractive or presentable to others.
    To me, that's a different animal than a woman who already looks fine and then plasters makeup all over her face.
  • rprobbins
    Options
    Back to the question that was posted,

Ladies, it is really simple although you try and think we have other motives or intentions we do not, we (90% +) of men like Drama on TV shows, not in our homes… It really comes down to a simple way of how the male mind thinks… Stress throughout the day from getting to work, work itself, getting home, dealing with the normal stuff… The last and most important thing is that when a man comes home he considers it his cave and he really does not want to deal with any drama from anyone , most importantly the woman he sleeps with…

No tricks, no games, a woman just waking up with no makeup and smiling at you, is far more attractive than in high heels, low cut shirt, tight dress anyday…
  • LarryDUk
    LarryDUk Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    This thread make me want to punch a puppy. WTF is 'high maintenance'? If it about looks, then yes I want someone who looks and smells good. If it is about money then NO, but who would want that?
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    Men may say they want a low maintenance woman, but if many people like myself were truly low-maintenance, they'd be singing a different tune.

Between having PCOS, high testosterone levels and all of the side effects of that: cystic acne that is no longer an issue but has left scarring all over my face, excessive hair growth that makes me have to shave not only me legs and armpits, but also my belly, chest and neck. If I didn't wear enough makeup to smooth out my complexion, you would think I was in some kind of chemical spill.

To regulate my condition and my hormones I have to eat right, constantly struggle to lose weight, take medication. It takes a lot of effort for me to just feel normal and feminine and be happy with myself, let alone look attractive or presentable to others.

STORY OF MY LIFE TOO ^^^ I feel your pain, I try hard to look my best as I have issues a lot of people do not have or understand. I am scarred all over my face from severe cystic acne, and having to go out with no makeup on I would probably cry .
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

To me, that's a different animal than a woman who already looks fine and then plasters makeup all over her face.

That IS true. Though, I still have to remind my fiance at times why I spend 30 minutes in the shower or why it takes me a long time and lots of heartache to find an outfit that covers those flaws.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    This thread make me want to punch a puppy. WTF is 'high maintenance'? If it about looks, then yes I want someone who looks and smells good. If it is about money then NO, but who would want that?

high-maintenance :

1. Require (ing) a lot of work/attention to maintain.

2. Require (ing) a lot of money or attention to appearance.

3. Require (ing) a high emotional investment or en excessive amount of money.

EXAMPLES OF HIGH-MAINTENANCE BEHAVIOR:
    -Having frequent professional cosmetic consultations, such as hair-dressing, manicures and pedicures
    -Excessive worthless spending (tricking)
    -Attention craving
    -Being too delicate or suavé
  • LarryDUk
    LarryDUk Posts: 279 Member
    Options

high-maintenance :

-Having frequent professional cosmetic consultations, such as hair-dressing, manicures and pedicures
    -Attention craving

Yeah, so um, which men want a woman like this?
  • Lemongrab1
    Lemongrab1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options

high-maintenance :

-Attention craving
    This sounds like all women...and all Italian men.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options

high-maintenance :

-Attention craving
    This sounds like all women...and all Italian men.

This sort of falls in line with my definition I stated earlier in the thread. In my eyes, high maintenance has nothing to do with appearance or grooming. High maintenance is a measure of how much constant effort, work, and sacrifice she requires her man to go through to keep her, because seeing him make unnecessary sacrifices in other aspects of his life to appease her is the only form of expression of love and affection she is capable of understanding. Grooming and appearance have NOTHING to do with it. I've known high maintenance women who went out in sweats and a hoodie with their hair up, and I've known low maintenance women who were well groomed.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I don't think of high maintenance or low maintenance in terms of beauty regimen. I think of it in terms of expectations and how much the woman wants the man to do for her, especially if she never reciprocates.

For example, the person who said a guy has to pay for his GF to have her hair done - to me that is high maintenance. Or, if the woman always expects the man to take her to expensive dinners, buy her expensive jewelry, etc. - to me, that is high maintenance.

I don't think men like that kind of high maintenance...

Ditto.

This, to me, is what is meant by high and low maintenance. It has little to do with switching out an outfit.

Its more of the woman that can't do anything independently.

This is the kind of person that needs a cheerleader, therapist, guardian 24/7.

She wants to watch a chickflick becomes WE will watch a chickflick.
    She has a stressful day becomes WE have a stressful day
    She wants to go shopping becomes WE have to go shopping

But the minute you want her support she immediately tries to trump it your issue with an even bigger crisis.

Its like dating a child.
  • Adrianachiarato
    Adrianachiarato Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Once a boyfriend gave me that bs. Said I am high maintenance, which I strongly disagree with, but I didn't even discuss it. Just asked him what difference that made to him, as I work and pay for my own stuff. What an *kitten*!
  • wewon
    Options
    A high maintenance woman will constantly put her man in a position where he must make otherwise unnecessary sacrifices--whether of his money, time, effort, or of his mental/emotional well being--because unlike a normal woman, who can understand and process many different forms of love and affection, she is only capable of understanding sacrifice.

:huh: you've got to be kidding right?
    I pay for my own hair, nails, cosmetics, clothes, shoes, procedures, etc. I make more money than my SO. I require nothing from him other than friendship and love. Time, effort and sacrifice for the good of the family is something we BOTH put in and is to be expected for any relationship.

You got all that from his response?

[img]http://files.myopera.com/fidemmy/albums/248746/my friend.jpg[/img]

LOL! I was wondering the same thing.

The post he made was pretty reasonable, but the reactions to it was bizarre.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    A high maintenance woman will constantly put her man in a position where he must make otherwise unnecessary sacrifices--whether of his money, time, effort, or of his mental/emotional well being--because unlike a normal woman, who can understand and process many different forms of love and affection, she is only capable of understanding sacrifice.

I pay for my own hair, nails, cosmetics, clothes, shoes, procedures, etc. I make more money than my SO. I require nothing from him other than friendship and love. Time, effort and sacrifice for the good of the family is something we BOTH put in and is to be expected for any relationship.

I was wondering where people got all that from my reply too. I was like "WTF?"
  • Leannek74
    Leannek74 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Some of us ladies would like to look done up to the nines with no work....
    I think the guys would like the same thing.
  • Tribbey143
    Tribbey143 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    No, we LOVE, LOVE, LOVE high maintenance. Please tell me more about the new Ulta in town.

hahaha
  • wewon
    Options

I was wondering where people got all that from my reply too. I was like "WTF?"

WHAT?!?!

Are you trying to say that I hate my mom?!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I mean, really? Whether it's the monetary cost or time savings, do you really think you'd be happier with a low maintenance woman? All I hear is complaining about how much a haircut/color costs or how much time it takes to straighten hair, put on makeup, etc. I'm just wondering. Only about 2% of us can get away with being naturally pretty. We all need a little help.

Thoughts?

For me low-maintenance means that she knows what she wants and she goes with it. If she goes clothes shopping she generally knows what she wants, gets in, tries the clothes on, and gets out in less than hour. Comparatively, my ex-wife would spend 4 hours in a single clothing store and walk out with NOTHING. I'd be like please just by something so I don't feel like I completely wasted my day. If things are 100% perfect she doesn't worry about it and just goes about the day. Something being expensive isn't high maintenance to me.

My fiance' and I are about 7 months out from our wedding and we basically have all the major stuff done, she's been very easy going about everything. She picked out her wedding dress in about 4 hours one afternoon, the reception hall in less than a week and we met with two photographers over two weeks. It took 3 weeks to make a decision and that was only because the times were spaced out, it was actually a very easy decision for us. Yes, I love the fact that she is generally low-maintenance.
  • ingeh
    ingeh Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    My partner HATES me going shopping with him cos we always end up in the make up shops with me swatching lipsticks and blushers on my hand! He says I dont need make up but with 4-5am starts with 2 baby boys I damn do lol!
    I like to take my time and find the nicest prettiest things when buying clothes too, I can spend a whole day shopping, happily!
  • Geojerm
    Geojerm Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I mean, really? Whether it's the monetary cost or time savings, do you really think you'd be happier with a low maintenance woman? All I hear is complaining about how much a haircut/color costs or how much time it takes to straighten hair, put on makeup, etc. I'm just wondering. Only about 2% of us can get away with being naturally pretty. We all need a little help.

Thoughts?

monetary cost or time savings??? seriously? Never crossed my mind ... but hair & makeup don't take up any of my waking thoughts either.
  • stjoh01
    stjoh01 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was once given a day at the spa for a birthday present and had maybe the second massage in my life. The first was somewhere in Mexico. From what I saw, you guys wouldn't believe how well women take care of themselves on a regular basis. Maybe the human competition thing requires women to be beautiful, while a man does not have to be handsome to compete. Let your woman treat herself well and hope she takes good care of you too. Like they say: a happy wife, a happy life.