Could you give up Meat?

Options

Replies

• leaaa92
    leaaa92 Posts: 164 Member
    Options

To my friends on here eating their hamburgers, enjoy one for me but maybe take a little time to research where your meat comes from - responsibly raised meat tastes better, is better for you, and better for the environment in general. :)

Hey, I'm just curious about what you mean by responsibly raised meat?
  • ewrob
    ewrob Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    you went vegan but you still eat burgers?

Absolutely. For example:

http://thrivingvegetarian.com/blog/reviews/review-of-gardein-ultimate-beefless-burger/

Gardein is generally amazing, I think most people would be very challenged to taste the difference. It was a big help to me in my initial transition to being vegan.

Burgers and fries aren't something I eat all that often anymore, (Considering that I used to eat them very frequently, along with pizza and lasagna) but it's nice to have the option, and who doesn't like some fries and ketchup?

Now that I think about it, I still eat pizza pretty regularly too. Whole foods makes a good vegan pizza. There is Daiya cheese, but I usually avoid it for the added fat content. Whole wheat crust, sauce and vegetables makes a great, flavorful pizza (especially with toppings like onion, jalapeno and pineapple) as well as a healthful meal.

Chili is another great option. Overall I have found the foods to be great, and I eat on average far more interesting things since going vegan than I did before, but there are plenty of foods that are close enough to the old foods that I used to eat, without compromising my health the way those foods did.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    No. I adore meats.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree that one should know where their beef comes from...I buy only 100% grassfed beef. I know where it is from, how it was raised.

I stopped buying grainfed meat years ago & had a noticeable improvement in my health. But, that is another reflection on plant-based diets not being healthy for me. So why would I go there?
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Pfft! HELL-to-the-NAW! I have 4 different types of teeth for a reason. And canine teeth are perfect from rending animal flesh... tasty, tasty animal flesh! Uhhhhhhh.....
    tumblr_lqxe4xH2du1qlff32o1_500.gif
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I would go cannibal before giving up meat! :mad:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree that one should know where their beef comes from...I buy only 100% grassfed beef. I know where it is from, how it was raised.

I stopped buying grainfed meat years ago & had a noticeable improvement in my health. But, that is another reflection on plant-based diets not being healthy for me. So why would I go there?

did you go to the farm where they raised it? Do you know they really fed it grass..?
  • theopenforum
    theopenforum Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    well yes and no ^_^ i have given up meat groups lol. Basically I really liked certain foods associated with beef and pork so much that I stopped eating beef and pork all together lol. Is that crazy? absolutely, but we're not here to judge others ^_^

cheers

Tof
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Options
    tumblr_inline_mtdoq9lClW1r7w8hk.gif

I am a straight up protein *kitten*.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Completely vegan? No way. I was vegetarian for over ten years and vegan for one. The vegan year sucked.
  • init2fitit
    init2fitit Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I mean, if I really had to because of a medical reason, I'm sure I could go about it.
    But otherwise, I generally eat meat and fish pretty sparingly and I'm pretty happy with that.
  • boatyboat
    boatyboat Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    No. I'd rather die. Cows are here to make me happy...just in moderation.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I shudder at the thought of never having meat in my mouth again.

no thanks

I'm a meat lover for life!

:heart:

giggity.gif
  • ambervaldez79
    ambervaldez79 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I gave it up over a year a go, and more recently gave up all other animal products. I don't see myself ever going back. It was a decision of ethics, so I won't argue the health concerns.

It's much easier to do that I thought it would be - and I eat 4,000 healthy calories a day.

No judgement on anyone else, but I just got to a point where I could not longer identify as someone who cares about animals while continuing to support an industry that I personally feel allows crazy levels of cruelty throughout their entire lives. For me, it wasn't a question of whether or not it is wrong to eat an animal, but about what happens to those animals before they are killed. Then, eventually, I made the very-personal decision that it would be wrong for ME to eat even responsibly farmed animal products.

I really wish there had been more eduction when I was younger about where our food actually comes from.

To my friends on here eating their hamburgers, enjoy one for me but maybe take a little time to research where your meat comes from - responsibly raised meat tastes better, is better for you, and better for the environment in general. :)

I have always felt this way, so I VERY recently cut the meat out. I haven't missed it at all.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    Neverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Absolutely and Unequivocally the answer would be a Responding NO!!!!! :noway:

^^^^^
    THIS

I LOVE CHEESE WAY TOO MUCH! ...

I don't eat much meat (maybe a few times a month if that), but give it up for the rest of my life ... Um, NO!

And, oils? ... NOPE ... I Love olive oil way too much, and my new favorite is toasted walnut oil ... It makes a super delicious dressing when mixed with balsamic ...
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I could give up meat before cheese, wine and bread. But I prefer not to give anything up permanently.

I will state I very rarely eat land animal meat and couldn't care less. Although when I have it, I enjoy it while eating it.

Lots of meat threads going around tonight. What gives?
  • jadedhippo
    jadedhippo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I probably could if I had the money and the time to buy and prepare all the food.
    I don't eat much meat now because I'm a college student and meat is expensive
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Beat the meat.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Completely for the rest of your life And go to a whole foods plant based diet? Which means no meat dairy oils etc. could you? Seriously

I could if someone was holding a gun to my head or some similar sort of scenario. Would I ever want or choose to? No. Seriously.