Dear Men:

Options
1234568»

Replies

• anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Dear Women,

Please respect the personal space and humanness of men out in the world. If you are angry or frustrated about something search within yourself for the reason instead of taking it out on men. Figure out why you blame all men for the errors of a few and understand that this is unfair and sexist. I bet that you have experienced unpleasant encounters with some women but have refrained from generalizing that all women must be bad because you knew a few that were in your experience.

We, as women, need to understand that we are capable of harming men. It is not a one way street.
    Just as we feel uncomfortable and threatened if an angry man were to invade our personal space, consider how uncomfortable a man may feel when we tar them all with the same brush or try to intimidate them aggressively.

Let's all learn to respect each other regardless of sex and understand that although it is unpleasant to be confronted with aggression, it is rarely personal. Learn the difference. Most men are not in the habit of hitting a women when they are angry. Lets not make assumptions. Stay calm.

oh right, because it's a level playing field everywhere. glass ceiling at work; reduced political participation at the highest levels; restricted mobility, voting and land rights; feticide of female fetuses; violence, spousal killings; sexual harassment and rape (including the institutionalized kind; in wars; even within military organizations, right here at home); massively disproportionate poverty, and access to education and health), it's sexist to suggest that might not just be down to a few bad apples here and there. please.

I love these responses. It's like sitting in a Philosophy 101 class all over again, and listening to the girl in combat boots during her daily rant while the rest of us are trying to discuss Plato's forms.

lol yeah it was a bit like that, fair enough.

(however comparing the OP to plato's forms, dunno)
  • Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Dear Women,

Please respect the personal space and humanness of men out in the world. If you are angry or frustrated about something search within yourself for the reason instead of taking it out on men. Figure out why you blame all men for the errors of a few and understand that this is unfair and sexist. I bet that you have experienced unpleasant encounters with some women but have refrained from generalizing that all women must be bad because you knew a few that were in your experience.

We, as women, need to understand that we are capable of harming men. It is not a one way street.
    Just as we feel uncomfortable and threatened if an angry man were to invade our personal space, consider how uncomfortable a man may feel when we tar them all with the same brush or try to intimidate them aggressively.

Let's all learn to respect each other regardless of sex and understand that although it is unpleasant to be confronted with aggression, it is rarely personal. Learn the difference. Most men are not in the habit of hitting a women when they are angry. Lets not make assumptions. Stay calm.

oh right, because it's a level playing field everywhere. glass ceiling at work; reduced political participation at the highest levels; restricted mobility, voting and land rights; feticide of female fetuses; violence, spousal killings; sexual harassment and rape (including the institutionalized kind; in wars; even within military organizations, right here at home); massively disproportionate poverty, and access to education and health), it's sexist to suggest that might not just be down to a few bad apples here and there. please.

I love these responses. It's like sitting in a Philosophy 101 class all over again, and listening to the girl in combat boots during her daily rant while the rest of us are trying to discuss Plato's forms.

I wish I had taken Philosophy in university.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Dear Women,

The point is that not everything needs to be deconstructed ad nauseam via a feminist or Marxist approach. There are other viewpoints.
  • anemoneprose
    Options
    Dear Women,

The point is that not everything needs to be deconstructed ad nauseam via a feminist or Marxist approach. There are other viewpoints.

what you dismiss as vapid postmodern deconstruction, i call simple description of reality, counted in #s (of eg laws, senate seats, rates of mortality & morbidity, etc).
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    2066659_o.gif
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    this is coming off as a bit sexist.

You mean implying that women are not guilty of this same sort of behavior and worse?

I worked in retail for a year and a half and trust me, for the most part women act MUCH worse than men when things don't go their way.
    THIS. I've been a manager for Circuit City and Toys R Us and have had many challenging confrontations from female customers. Men too, but since more females tend to hold the money in the family, that was my experience from several years in retail.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I worked at ULTA for a year and a half. them womens love their coupons. unfortunately they NEVER read the fine print. at least men know when they can and can't use a discount.

Oh no they don't. Nobody seems to know how to use coupons. And apparently, expiration dates on the coupon are only visible to the cashier you keep trying to push it off on. Read people, READ!
  • BeachIron
    Options
    Dear Women,

what you dismiss as vapid postmodern deconstruction, i call simple description of reality, counted in #s (of eg laws, senate seats, rates of mortality & morbidity, etc).

Thank you. "Vapid" is the right word, and to which I would add "boorish." If you ask others to consider your viewpoint, then you should at least be willing to also consider other viewpoints. I find it telling that a viewpoint such as "don't attack all men for one man's actions" is so controversial in your mind. It does reveal quite a bit about your thinking, though I would argue that it hardly qualifies as that. In short, your opinion deserves no more consideration than a anti- woman or racist slur. Each is equally narrow minded and does nothing to promote a culture that treats individuals with the respect that they deserve.
  • anemoneprose
    Options
    Dear Women,

Thank you. "Vapid" is the right word, and to which I would add "boorish." If you ask others to consider your viewpoint, then you should at least be willing to also consider other viewpoints. I find it telling that a viewpoint such as "don't attack all men for one man's actions" is so controversial in your mind. It does reveal quite a bit about your thinking, though I would argue that it hardly qualifies as that. In short, your opinion deserves no more consideration than a anti- woman or racist slur. Each is equally narrow minded and does nothing to promote a culture that treats individuals with the respect that they deserve.

what i find controversial (and staggeringly simple-minded) is the notion that any individual acts in a vaccuum.

and, frankly, i don't give a hoot what you, personally, think of my viewpoint.
  • BeachIron
    Options
    Dear Women,

what i find controversial (and staggeringly simple-minded) is the notion that any individual acts in a vaccuum.

and, frankly, i don't give a hoot what you, personally, think of my viewpoint.

Ignorant sexists, racists, and xenophobes rarely care what other people think. Your problems are of your own making.

I like the straw man vacuum comment though. It was a nice touch to the overall rant.
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the responses yet, but I wanted to attempt to interject my thoughts on what the OP was trying to say with this post.

I have spent too much time with an angry, abusive and aggressive man and I have seen how he would act out in public around women in general, especially if he was angry with me for some reason. When a women has done something that he would perceive as wrong in some way, whether it be disagreeing with him or even trying to talk common sense to him, he would react with aggression. This aggression will sometimes manifest itself as getting too close, getting loud, and because he is taller and/or bigger then most women, by generally physically intimidating the woman.

I know all men are not like this, and I am (pretty) sure the OP does also. It sounds however that she has come in contact with a man like this, which has prompted her to make this post. The sad thing is, that the men whom she really is addressing these comments to, would not respond in any way except anger to what she is saying. On the other hand the men who are not like this, (most men) will be offended by her generalization.

ETA - I just saw what the op wrote just above my comment, now I really have to go back and read everything!
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    this is coming off as a bit sexist.

my thoughts exactly..

FTR, I'm very nice to CSR's (which I assume is your job) because thats how I get what I want. However, if you powertrip as a CSR and screw me for no personal gain, I will be one of those men you described. Its all nice and respectful until you take the gloves off.
  • anemoneprose
    Options
    Ignorant sexists, racists, and xenophobes rarely care what other people think. Your problems are of your own making.

I like the straw man vacuum comment though. It was a nice touch to the overall rant.
    if you mean 'one's problems are of one's own making', obviously i disagree with that idea in its strong form; it's a question of degree, and i think it's a serious logical (and ethical) mistake to ignore context. if you are referring specifically to problems i personally am meant to have, i don't know what you mean (and again, don't care). i'm open to discussion with rational people who do not regularly resort to personal attacks.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Dear Women,

If I was allowed to participate in a race late, it would be silly to compare yourself to the people who started the race way ahead of you.

Which numbers of mortality & morbidity? You got to slice those in certain ways to help narratives.
  • BeachIron
    Options

if you mean 'one's problems are of one's own making', obviously i disagree with that idea in its strong form; it's a question of degree, and i think it's a serious logical (and ethical) mistake to ignore context. if you are referring specifically to problems i personally am meant to have, i don't know what you mean (and again, don't care). i'm open to discussion with rational people who do not regularly resort to personal attacks.

You amuse me. Please do continue. It's almost cute. Like a baby playing with blocks for the first time.
  • BeachIron
    Options
    Thank you all for helping so many people see this public service announcement.

Anybody got anything they'd like me to raise awareness about?

And yes, i am a *****, thank you for pointing that out. And yes, my broad brush does say that all men should not try and intimidate all women.

Mwahahaha!

Good thing I'm such a bad *kitten*. I can outrun your torches and pitchforks.

Wussies. ....That's wussies with a sexist P.

Philosophize that, politically correct, let's pretend we are all exactly the same thinkers. God, you guys are making my ovaries hurt. I'm going to go have my period now. And then go take a selfie of my muscles.

Peace out, community....but keep it coming.

You've never seen violence. You wouldn't survive.
  • anemoneprose
    Options
    Dear Women,

If I was allowed to participate in a race late, it would be silly to compare yourself to the people who started the race way ahead of you.

Which numbers of mortality & morbidity? You got to slice those in certain ways to help narratives.

yeah, you're right. well, in the absence of time, i will refer the interested to the WHO's numbers.

lol though @ this being a real discussion.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    Talk about a slow motion train wreck.

The original post is a non informational rant which is almost universally castigated by male and female alike as being sexist and over generalizing.
    The poster comes back angry that it turned into a spoof thread and tells everyone they should be ashamed which generates the natural response.
    Then,conveniently ignoring the fact that most women have told her the same she attempts to make it into a victim hood,how dare you mean men pick on poor lil ole me strawman.

Truth be told given the evidence of the OPs conduct and attitude I bet there is just as good a chance as not the entire situation which she as a third party is relating and ranting about was actually a nothing which was escalated by her own misandry into an event.
  • mthr2
    mthr2 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    You are right salladeve. Even the implication that my poor judgement did not calculate that my post would be so offensive to good guys.

However i fear no one will care. They will only quote what they want to quote. (watch out...that's my victim mentality speaking)

Maybe this will get quoted:

All men are *kitten*! All women are princesses!

Ok, let's see what happens.

Ok, now to go flex in the mirror for that selfie. Lol.
  • liftingheavy1
    Options
    this lady is just miserable and un happy and misery loves company.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,149 MFP Staff
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to provide a brief explanation for locking this topic.

The forum guidelines include this item:

4. Show Respect to All Groups and Individuals
    No derogatory references to sex, gender, weight, body-type, ethnicity, religion, or sexual orientation, or endorsement of violence against any person or group, even if couched in humor, will be permitted. This includes expressing stereotypes about any group or community.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    Olivia
    MyFitnessPal Community Manager
This discussion has been closed.