Pour a little sugar on baby....

tumblr_mdtoksNzk31qj9vl2o1_500.gif
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Oh boy, another article telling me how much I need added sugar. :yawn:
    It doesn't say that AT ALL...

tldr.jpg

I admit I only read about half of it. But after all the "if you give up sugar you will binge" nonsense I stopped. Sounded like more of the same old same old to me.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options

----sugar is as hard a habit to walk away from as any other addictive substance.

cookie-monster-o.gif
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I do not agree to most parts of this article. I'm one of those who can't have "just one bite that may or may not fit into my macro" and I hate people that love bashing other people for "lacking self control" and saying things like "a well rounded diet consisting of everything works for everyone".

I've never been fat, hell, I've never even been over-weight - and even though I today can eat carbs with moderation there was i time i couldn't. A time where eating carbs led me into a vicious binging/purging cycle that seemed to have no end. and yes - I'm feeling absolutely comfortable "blaming" the carbs for this. because they have never given me the same satisfaction and "without hunger feeling" that I've gotten from fats and proteins. Before, carbs just wanted me to eat more - despite being full.

And speaking of how many that have successfully lost weight on a low-carb diet i know I'm not alone with these feelings.

So people saying "everything is okay in moderation" just speaks for themselves-

Like Sara quoted here, i am not overweight----but i do believe SUGAR is 100% to be avoided by most people for the most obvious reasons, it has no nutrients and it controls them more than they control it.
    With all respect to the OP and to Joy ( author of the link ) , i just fon't what works for me can work for everyone. For many, sugar sets up a cycle of craving they can't handle.

Why is so much sugar in all processed food? Why are we consuming 20 or more teaspoons of sugar every day w/o choosing to do so? Personally, after much reading, i'm pretty sure we dhould only consume naturally occuring sugar, such as in fruit.....????????????????

Not due solely to sugar but we know Obesity is occuring in epidemic proportions
    sugar is as hard a habit to walk away from as any other addictive substance.

So...by your logic, sugar cane isn't naturally occuring?
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options

No, that's not what it says. If you don't want to bother to read a lengthy article, fine. But to make a comment without doing so is ignorant.
  • SaraAxm
    SaraAxm Posts: 30
    Options

So, what? Are you like an antelope? A martian? Some other species that isn't human?

Where do I say that?
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options

5919_-_animated_gif_dean_winchester_monochrome_reaction_image_sam_winchester_supernatural.gif
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I do not agree to most parts of this article. I'm one of those who can't have "just one bite that may or may not fit into my macro" and I hate people that love bashing other people for "lacking self control" and saying things like "a well rounded diet consisting of everything works for everyone".

I've never been fat, hell, I've never even been over-weight - and even though I today can eat carbs with moderation there was i time i couldn't. A time where eating carbs led me into a vicious binging/purging cycle that seemed to have no end. and yes - I'm feeling absolutely comfortable "blaming" the carbs for this. because they have never given me the same satisfaction and "without hunger feeling" that I've gotten from fats and proteins. Before, carbs just wanted me to eat more - despite being full.

And speaking of how many that have successfully lost weight on a low-carb diet i know I'm not alone with these feelings.

So people saying "everything is okay in moderation" just speaks for themselves-

so you learned moderation...but moderation is impossible to learn?

Perfect question. Great catch on that.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    yep...this is how i expected this would go.
  • hookilau
    Options

So, what? Are you like an antelope? A martian? Some other species that isn't human?

Where do I say that?

Oo me me me. I'm a martian antelope
    =( can't have sugar .... have I been ousted out of the human race now :blushing:
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Sugar killed my parents. But it's okay. .. I'm Batman.
  • SaraAxm
    SaraAxm Posts: 30
    Options

It depends. I still get very triggered and hungry by carbs in general -but when you can eat 3000+ calories without gaining weight it doesn't really matter. So I probably still haven't learned moderation - I just, personally, deal with it differently. My point is that people losing weight preferably should find tools that will help them losing the weight without having to battle obstacles that will make the task impossible. Sugar cravings can be one of those obstacles and I think it's ridiculous to say things "there's no proof that sugar is addictive" and "sugar is ok in moderation" when the majority of people can't deal with it without over-eating.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options

----sugar is as hard a habit to walk away from as any other addictive substance.

cookie-monster-o.gif

D-d-d-derek was in here earlier
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options

It depends. I still get very triggered and hungry by carbs in general -but when you can eat 3000+ calories without gaining weight it doesn't really matter. So I probably still haven't learned moderation - I just, personally, deal with it differently. My point is that people losing weight preferably should find tools that will help them losing the weight without having to battle obstacles that will make the task impossible. Sugar cravings can be one of those obstacles and I think it's ridiculous to say things "there's no proof that sugar is addictive" and "sugar is ok in moderation" when the majority of people can't deal with it without over-eating.

I am sorry, but what is this "majority" you speak of? And where have you gotten the study from of this majority? Saying "I have a sweet tooth and I need to learn to control it" is different than "I have a sweet tooth, so I blame sugar."
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    yep...this is how i expected this would go.

Me too, but I considered this a PSA for the few people who were interested in reading and learning something factual and grounded in science, not anecdote- or opinion-based.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

Giving up things entirely that do not need to be given up can also be one of those obstacles.

And your last statement has no basis in fact. It is purely opinionated bias.
  • Bigjuicyhog
    Bigjuicyhog Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Great article!
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Confirmation bias for days.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    <snip>
    ----but i do believe SUGAR is 100% to be avoided by most people for the most obvious reasons, it has no nutrients and it controls them more than they control it.

FYI: Carbohydrates are one of the three main nutrients. It may lack micronutrients, by itself, but carbohydrates are for energy. Energy is a good thing, not a bad thing. Most people should consume appropriate amounts of it. What is considered an appropriate amount will vary from person to person, but that's for each of us to figure out for ourselves. Avoiding it because it might "control" you sounds awfully silly to me.
  • hookilau
    Options
    Confirmation bias for days.
    :laugh: :blushing: