KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    it is what it is.
    most kids are like that
    I worry about my own
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    So what you're saying us you're opinionated?

Was the child obese? If not, then keep it to yourself. YOU ARE NOT THE PERFECT PARENT

Oh, you are SO wrong there... I am, in fact, flawless.

Flawless and yet on a weight loss website ;)

We're all here for the same reason.

Cauliflower recipes and Booby Friday!!! :drinker:

Boobie. Spell it right. Your driving me crazy and I will loose my mind.

What are you, the speling police?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I know it's no excuse for that kind of lunch to be in a 5 year old's bag but maybe she's a very picky eater and the parents decided that instead of subjecting the entire cafeteria to screaming and hissy fits over a real lunch they'd just give her what she wants at school and make her eat healthy at breakfast & dinner where they're the only ones that have to deal with it.

This is not to say I advocate the force-feeding of little ones, but the idea of allowing them to choose what they will and will not eat seems a little ridiculous to me. When I was five, my "choice" would have been a chocolate bar every single time! Thank goodness my Mom made me eat real food, whether I liked it or not.

Back in my day, picky eaters weren't rewarded with candy lunches and applause for trying their best, they sat at the table until they ate every last morsel of (now cold) food that was put in front of them. Or, they went to bed hungry -- entirely their choice. Give it a try sometime... If they get hungry enough, they'll eat those peas. Guaranteed.

We didn't throw hissy fits back in my day, either... Kids used to be afraid of pissing their parents off.

Yup - infact my husband and I just took an extracurricular activity one night away from our almost 6 year old. Why, becasue I said if you don't eat supper, you won't go. I try to serve my kids food they like - but she was trying to "be the boss". So, as she cried we told her she wouldn't be going. We also told her, when she was hungry, supper would be there waiting. And if she didn't eat it, guess what breakfast was and so on.... She ended up finishing supper right before bed and then last night (when her activity was) she gobbled up supper.
    People have serious rose-colored glasses when talking about their own childhoods.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I went fishing for crazy today.

And you caught it. So much you could freaking cook it for dinner. Is crazy healthy and is it served in bag lunches?
  • pinkledoodledoo
    pinkledoodledoo Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I know it's no excuse for that kind of lunch to be in a 5 year old's bag but maybe she's a very picky eater and the parents decided that instead of subjecting the entire cafeteria to screaming and hissy fits over a real lunch they'd just give her what she wants at school and make her eat healthy at breakfast & dinner where they're the only ones that have to deal with it.

This is not to say I advocate the force-feeding of little ones, but the idea of allowing them to choose what they will and will not eat seems a little ridiculous to me. When I was five, my "choice" would have been a chocolate bar every single time! Thank goodness my Mom made me eat real food, whether I liked it or not.

Back in my day, picky eaters weren't rewarded with candy lunches and applause for trying their best, they sat at the table until they ate every last morsel of (now cold) food that was put in front of them. Or, they went to bed hungry -- entirely their choice. Give it a try sometime... If they get hungry enough, they'll eat those peas. Guaranteed.

We didn't throw hissy fits back in my day, either... Kids used to be afraid of pissing their parents off.

My post was purely speculation. I do not have kids, nor did my mother pack lunches full of candy for me as a child. I am also of the mindset that picky eaters can eat what is prepared or go hungry but maybe that's why my nephews never come over for dinner.
  • whierd
    Options
    Being Judged, sometimes make people make better choices ! The problem today is that we don't judge enough!

Only if they know it's an issue.... people talking behind other peoples' backs solve NOTHING. Bringing it to the parents' attention, or asking questions of HOW TO HELP the situation is what gets things solved.

Huh? Awareness and discussion are not part of the solution process??? Egads. What an incredibly simplistic world in which you must live.

Gimme a break... All I'm saying is that if SOMEONE said something to the parents (in this case) MAYBE there would be a change, talking about it HERE doesn't do anything good for this little girl. Turn my comment into whatever you need to in order to make it okay to talk behind people's back instead of helping a kid. No skin off my nose. :flowerforyou:

No, singling out the parent like that is not the best solution.

Now I am just even more curious... You don't believe that the best solution to changing the way a PARENT packs a "lunch" is to talk to the PARENT?

Taking a single parent aside and telling them that they are packing crap lunches for their kid and need to do better? No, I don't think that is the best solution. It lacks tact and will piss the parent off because they will feel attacked by your throwing their deficiency in their face.

Sending home literature on nutritional needs or having a group parenting meeting is by far better as well as educating the kids themselves.

tumblr_mglagtKjIj1rnymjho1_500.jpg
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options

^^^^This. All of those reasons just stated above are the reasons that I do not want to reproduce. The world today is full of freaking whimps- (a better word begins with a P and rhymes with "wussies"....)

My mother packed me a lunch and if I chose not to eat it, I went hungry. I learned to eat what she packed or go hungry for the rest of the day.

The way that most of us were parented even 20 years ago would land most us in jail for child abuse these days. But it looks like most of us turned out fine......RIDICULOUS.

Actually, there's an argument that this "clean your plate" mentality is at least partly responsible for some of the obesity problems we are seeing today.

That said, I'm more in agreement with the above concepts than I am in disagreement.

Wasn't including the "clean your plate" mentality in there... I think that's BS also. BUT... I was referring to the mentality when I was growing up that if I didn't eat what I was sent to school with (which was usually fairly healthy) that I was going to be hungry until I got home and ate dinner. The mentality of parents giving their kids junk to eat so that "at least they eat something" is BS.
  • septembergrrl
    septembergrrl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Well, this makes me feel way less guilty about buying the fruit snacks, I can say that much.(We get the type made with juice, but it's still basically candy.) But seriously, it's not *that* hard to buy "easy" lunch foods that aren't complete junk. Swap 100% juice for the purple stuff and two string cheese for the M&Ms and you're halfway there.

My daughter wanted a peanut butter and jelly sandwich every. single. day. her first half of kindergarten. She's now "branched out" and will also accept ham. A typical lunch for her now would be PB&J (on wheat, I never buy white bread), applesauce, a veggie like red peppers or cherry tomatoes, juice box and graham crackers. The veggies come home a lot, but I figure the important thing is offering them. When I'm feeling really wild I swap in Go-gurt or string cheese for the sandwich.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

And you caught it. So much you could freaking cook it for dinner. Is crazy healthy and is it served in bag lunches?

I was thinking I'd steam it and skip the salt to healthify it??
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

Yup - infact my husband and I just took an extracurricular activity one night away from our almost 6 year old. Why, becasue I said if you don't eat supper, you won't go. I try to serve my kids food they like - but she was trying to "be the boss". So, as she cried we told her she wouldn't be going. We also told her, when she was hungry, supper would be there waiting. And if she didn't eat it, guess what breakfast was and so on.... She ended up finishing supper right before bed and then last night (when her activity was) she gobbled up supper.
    People have serious rose-colored glasses when talking about their own childhoods.

Seriously, it's like some of them forgot that broccoli sometimes tasted like blood.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

I don't know what the bag limit is on crazy...

...but I am certain you reached it.

(Can you cull from the crazy live well as long as you stay one under the limit? Honestly, I'm not up-to-date on my crazy regulations.)
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options

I don't know what the bag limit is on crazy...

...but I am certain you reached it.

(Can you cull from the crazy live well as long as you stay one under the limit? Honestly, I'm not up-to-date on my crazy regulations.)

Agreed
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    ^^^^This. All of those reasons just stated above are the reasons that I do not want to reproduce. The world today is full of freaking whimps- (a better word begins with a P and rhymes with "wussies"....)

My mother packed me a lunch and if I chose not to eat it, I went hungry. I learned to eat what she packed or go hungry for the rest of the day.

The way that most of us were parented even 20 years ago would land most us in jail for child abuse these days. But it looks like most of us turned out fine......RIDICULOUS.

See, this works well if you're a wussie child. I on the other hand for example took the "Oh? I will just go hungry? Good, i'll show you. And i'll make you feel horrible and worthless for not feeding me". It seemed to work pretty well.

Was this because my mother was just a *ussy? No, it's because i was strong willed and I'll be damned if someone controls me like that.

OH, ok. :laugh:
  • HOPEPATRICK74
    HOPEPATRICK74 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I almost sent my kid to school with a ham sandwich on moldy bread this morning. That would have been awesome.

Surely mold has some value??

MOLD = PENICILLIAN? FIGHTS INFECTION?
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Poor kid, she can't be doing well in school with that kind of food. No nurishment for the body, no nurishment for the brain either...

The brain runs on glucose. Sounds like lots of nourishment for the brain. The body is what's suffering.

Oh, so is that why you have a high then a crash when you have nothing but sugar for a snack? You can't tell me that that kid can focus after she has crashed...

I don't. I do when I eat a high carb lunch, but that's a different story. The brain still runs on strictly glucose. There is nourishment. It's your endocrine system that is messing you up when you have this problem.

Okie dokie... You got me. Since that is the case, I will now be packing my kids stricktly twinkies and ding dongs so they can be really really smart... :flowerforyou: :drinker:

I never said to pack your kids twinkies and such. I just pointed out that the brain would not be starving based on what the kid had for her lunch. Way to go way beyond and read more into it. I have known plenty of kids who survive and do well academically on crappy sugary diets. They just fail to thrive.

SMDH
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options

I was thinking I'd steam it and skip the salt to healthify it??

Oh, that sounds delicious. How about adding a nice balsamic glaze?
  • whierd
    Options
    Poor kid, she can't be doing well in school with that kind of food. No nurishment for the body, no nurishment for the brain either...

The brain runs on glucose. Sounds like lots of nourishment for the brain. The body is what's suffering.

Oh, so is that why you have a high then a crash when you have nothing but sugar for a snack? You can't tell me that that kid can focus after she has crashed...

I don't. I do when I eat a high carb lunch, but that's a different story. The brain still runs on strictly glucose. There is nourishment. It's your endocrine system that is messing you up when you have this problem.

Okie dokie... You got me. Since that is the case, I will now be packing my kids stricktly twinkies and ding dongs so they can be really really smart... :flowerforyou: :drinker:

I never said to pack your kids twinkies and such. I just pointed out that the brain would not be starving based on what the kid had for her lunch. Way to go way beyond and read more into it. I have known plenty of kids who survive and do well academically on crappy sugary diets. They just fail to thrive.

SMDH

There is a serious lack of critical thinking here today.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    what's even harder...

my school has a...

no peanut
    no fish
    no egg

allergy policy

my kids LOVE tuna salad. NOPE
    my kids LOVE egg salad. NOPE

thank goodness they don't love peanut butter.

oh... and they have a "no sugary snack" policy as well...
  • FitCanuckChick
    FitCanuckChick Posts: 240 Member
    Options

Seriously, it's like some of them forgot that broccoli sometimes tasted like blood.
    I don't serve my kids foods they hate and I put about 1/4 of what I am eating on my daughters plate. So I am far from force feeding.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    This is pretty messed up. I always take care to make sure my kids get great nutrition at lunch. Don't just throw crap in your kid's lunch. Give them something healthy.

Lunchables.jpg

My vote for father of the year.
This discussion has been closed.