fasting diet works....

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Ok, so it works for them, and that is great. That doesn't mean that I have to agree with fasting in any form. From what I have been taught from my nutritionsit these years working with her it's never a good idea to fast. Eating small meals throughout the day to hit a calorie goal without fasting, in my opinion, is a much better idea than fasting.

Your nutritionist is an idiot. Seriously. He or she is extremely ignorant of actual knowledge of nutrition and physiology. Many small meals throughout the day does nothing that IF does not.

Just stop. Seriously. Stop telling people how it is and start listening to them instead. You are not knowledgeable enough to either agree or disagree with IF.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Details from the start would have been nice.....

Either way, I don't understand what good fasting does for the long term benefits of health. It's not healthy to not eat. Your body needs food to fuel it and learning how to eat with balance and control is a big portion of a lifestyle change.

sorry but this is wrong...fasting, done properly, has healthy benefits and can also help break through some plateaus.

You may want to read up more on IF/Lean Gains before you make a blanket statement about something you do not understand...

I have worked with a nutritionist for 7 years now. I understand plenty. That is why I don't see how something you can't incoorporate into your everyday life will work in the long run.

Ummm plenty of people incorporate IF into there daily life and do great with it..there is a whole group of people on there that do the 5:2 fast diet...

Based on your critique, you do not understand IF or 5:2. You still eat your calories for the day you just have a fasting window, or in the case of 5:2 a fasting day...

Ok, so it works for them, and that is great. That doesn't mean that I have to agree with fasting in any form. From what I have been taught from my nutritionsit these years working with her it's never a good idea to fast. Eating small meals throughout the day to hit a calorie goal without fasting, in my opinion, is a much better idea than fasting.

you just said it is not sustainable or healthy...I was curious as to how you back that up? Yet, now you are saying it works...?

and as someone else pointed out meal timing and metabolism are irrelevant..
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Either way, I don't understand what good fasting does for the long term benefits of health. It's not healthy to not eat. Your body needs food to fuel it and learning how to eat with balance and control is a big portion of a lifestyle change.

sorry but this is wrong...fasting, done properly, has healthy benefits and can also help break through some plateaus.

You may want to read up more on IF/Lean Gains before you make a blanket statement about something you do not understand...

I have worked with a nutritionist for 7 years now. I understand plenty. That is why I don't see how something you can't incoorporate into your everyday life will work in the long run.

Ummm plenty of people incorporate IF into there daily life and do great with it..there is a whole group of people on there that do the 5:2 fast diet...

Based on your critique, you do not understand IF or 5:2. You still eat your calories for the day you just have a fasting window, or in the case of 5:2 a fasting day...

Seven years ago, people were still thinking "small meals a day" was best. There's been several studies that show, "Meh, no. It's really just up to the individual person." The "fasting" sometimes triggered binges in people, but that's an exception and not a rule. It became the touted "Woman's Day/Dr. Oz" rule because it was a safer bet than discussing "fasting," which as we've seen in this thread alone, can quickly get misinterpreted.

I just realized you said you're not a nutritionist, you've worked with one... maybe they suggest this for you because small meals a day works better with your lifestyle. Not because it's the "best for everyone."
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    U welcome.. cant eat breakfast.. from 2pm to 10pm between those hours u can eat whatever u want but watch what u eat... thats all

Eat whatever you want.... but watch what you eat???

I was thinking the same thing!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Aren't you groggy the next morning from setting your alarm to wake up every hour or two of every night to eat? I know I would be.
  • jonnythan
    Options

you just said it is not sustainable or healthy...I was curious as to how you back that up? Yet, now you are saying it works...?

I'm glad you said meal timing is irrelevant.

I'm not arguing. I'm genuinely asking, because this is the part if IF I don't understand. What is the actual benefit? What is it doing?

It seems like IF is all about meal timing. But, then research suggests that meal timing doesn't matter. I'm confused on that point.

Not to speak for him, but a lot of people find it significantly easier to hit their nutrient and calorie goals eating once a day. It sort of eliminates snacking and so forth.

Personally I don't think there are any specific benefits to it other than compliance and enjoyment. I don't do IF. I get too hungry and crabby and it's not overly compatible with endurance sports. I play tennis and there's no way I can get up and play a 9 AM match without eating breakfast.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I'm not arguing. I'm genuinely asking, because this is the part if IF I don't understand. What is the actual benefit? What is it doing?

It seems like IF is all about meal timing. But, then research suggests that meal timing doesn't matter. I'm confused on that point.

IF is not really about meal timing..it just has a 'fasting window' and an 'eating window' ...the basic presumption is that in the fast period your body is pulling more energy from fat cells, so by extending the fast you extend the period in which you are burning fat..but it does not matter when you fast just as long as you create a fast...

That is just the cliff notes version..
  • ndj1979
    Options

Aren't you groggy the next morning from setting your alarm to wake up every hour or two of every night to eat? I know I would be.

maybe that is why poster is so cranky...
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options

Hi,

I wonder if this article might help you understand the science behind IF, how and why it works. :drinker:

http://www.leangains.com/2010/06/intermittent-fasting-and-stubborn-body.html
  • firstsip
    Options

On the most basic level, it's just that: meal timing. After years of, "Skipping breakfast will kill you" or "6 small meals a day or bust," some people (including myself) don't feel well doing that. IF was finally research and science showing, "Well, you CAN skip breakfast, or only eat 1 or 2 meals a day... or even 6 small meals still, just in a smaller window."

On a more complex level, there's varying pieces of research that suggest IF is beneficial for a variety of reasons. Reportedly, when practiced at a deficit, the body's more likely to burn off fat stores. Other findings suggest it's beneficial to hormone regulation, disease prevention (again, early findings), etc.

Frankly, I just follow an IF "plan" because that is how I feel best on. I don't like to eat in the mornings. If I feel hunger, it's generally not until 12 or 1 in the afternoon, and I'm set for the day by 7 or 8. I spent years of childhood getting breakfast shoved down my throat because it was "best," and I hated every second of it.
  • CollieFit
    Options
    it's never a good idea to fast.

Time for some refresher training? :huh:
  • bella19741974
    Options
    Trust me its works... I have a all most a six pack.. I do gym almost 5 times a day go nights at the gym..
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options

Your nutritionist is an idiot. Seriously. He or she is extremely ignorant of actual knowledge of nutrition and physiology. Many small meals throughout the day does nothing that IF does not.

Just stop. Seriously. Stop telling people how it is and start listening to them instead. You are not knowledgeable enough to either agree or disagree with IF.

Seriously. Please also research the credentials required to be a nutritionist versus a dietician. You may be surprised. I'd encourage you to do some research into fasting if you truly believe it's 'dangerous' or unnatural.
  • yelliezx
    yelliezx Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I find I'm less hungry when I skip breakfast but I don't really do IF properly. I have delicious mint chocolate truffle creamer in my (decaf) coffee in the morning. Not giving that up!
  • firstsip
    Options
    I find I'm less hungry when I skip breakfast but I don't really do IF properly. I have delicious mint chocolate truffle creamer in my (decaf) coffee in the morning. Not giving that up!

Most advocated of IF know that's fine; I've seen a few who are "black coffee or bust," but generally some milk or cream in your coffee (50 calories or less seems to be a followed rule) isn't going to "break" the fast.
  • CollieFit
    Options
    To the 'nutritionist' on this thread (note: not a dietitian then....)

I see from your profile that you're in Lincoln.

So for your info, this is what the NHS says about the currently available research on 5:2 / IF....

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2013/01January/Pages/Does-the-5-2-intermittent-fasting-diet-work.aspx

It probably really is time to update your CPD.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    To the 'nutritionist' on this thread (note: not a dietitian then....)

I see from your profile that you're in Lincoln.

So for your info, this is what the NHS says about the currently available research on 5:2 / IF....

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2013/01January/Pages/Does-the-5-2-intermittent-fasting-diet-work.aspx

It probably really is time to update your CPD.

She isn't a nutritionist. She's worked with a nutritionist. This qualifies her to tell all you people, who have managed to be more successful than losing 2 of 32 pounds since joining in January of 2013, that they're doing everything wrong.
  • Justifier
    Justifier Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Trust me its works... I have a all most a six pack.. I do gym almost 5 times a day go nights at the gym..

Let's stop arguing with each other and bring the focus back to OP. She goes to the the gym 5 times a day. Surely that is the source of the all most a six pack and not the fasting.