Not Hating, Why Do Women Struggle With The Gym?

Options

Replies

• Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I am NOT hating. Just asking because this really interests me. IMO it's because they think it's all about running and loosing weight, and it's tied even deeper to their self-image than with men. Not to mention that women are not encouraged to be physically strong/able like men are.

I know many, many women like the gym, but I'm making a general statement here.

Discuss.

I'm a guy, I struggled with the gym too. In fact, i hate those places.

There's a gym outside my front door where nobody gawps at a mirror for 20 minutes and as many miles of road as I could ever wish to run.

:flowerforyou:
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options

3). And wtf!! What is the difference between running and lifting and how it relates to an injury???? I don't even know where to start. Smh

Well lets see. My Dr, surgeon & physio all told me running was great.But if I dare lift.... forget it.

Plus I don't want to risk it. My back has never been better since I took up running over12 months ago. Yet when I decided to try lifting at the gym.... I was in more pain & my back ended up worse.

So don't ask me.... I'm just the person living with it. I know what is working for my back & what is not. I guess for some they don't understand some injuries at all. Basically MY BACK DOES NOT NEED EXTRA WEIGHT COMPRESSING IT & LIFTING WOULD DO THAT.... like hello.... extra weight.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Plus I don't want to risk it. My back has never been better since I took up running over12 months ago. Yet when I decided to try lifting at the gym.... I was in more pain & my back ended up worse.

Whilst I appreciate you have an underlying injury concern, how do you know that crappy form hasn't exacerbated the injury? It could be that judicious exercise selection coupled with good form would actually serve to strengthen your back. Just a thought...
  • FranceyPants
    FranceyPants Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I would disagree that women in general struggle with the gym - my fitness classes are female-dominated by far.

I think it depends on your gym.

I think a lot of girls feel uncomfortable going into the weights rooms, or even sometimes cardio rooms, which are largely male-dominated spaces. Some girls feel unconfident about how to use the machinery, and other girls might worry about being checked out/judged for being in some spaces.

Of course I think a lot of that fear is a mental thing, and once you grit your teeth and just start going into those spaces, you get used to it and it isn't a major problem.

Just a thought!
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I am a reformed gym hater. Honestly, it wasn't the gym I hated, but my body. I didn't want anyone to see mestruggle to learn how to use a machine or tired out super fast on the cardio machines. I was lost there. I couldnt afford a trainer so I had no one to tell me proper form or how to use machines or what plan to use and I felt like I would be a whale in a sea of thin, happpy athletic, fishies. It felt like Jr High Gym Class for the awkward tween. Then my friend who was a little bigger than me talked me in to going. I thought, if she feels safe there and comfortable then I can too. So I went. After a couple times I was less intimidated. Then I would go by myself nad go stright to the cardio machine because I din't look inexperienced if I was just on the elliptical. I would watch the pros and learn how to use machines via them but never got the balls to add them to my work out. What really helped me was taking group classes. Then I felt more comfident to try to things at the gym. Now I am pretty comfortable and have no problem doing weights but I do have anxiety if I am the only woman in the weight room and I am squatting 65 when they are squatting 350.....but I just put my headphones on and keep going!
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    - oglers
    - gangs of obnoxious teenagers claiming the cable machine for an hour at a time, & not letting you work in
    - disease or fungus on equipment from (in some cases) a lack of willingness to a) stay home if sick and b) wipe surfaces after use
    - oglers again (can't overstate how annoying they are)

those are my top 3 annoying things, am fine with everything else. could nitpick (would like to be able to customize cardio machines for better ergonomics beyond what's possible, e.g., angle of footpad on elliptical, angle of seat on bike. sometimes the bathroom smells kind of mouldy. it would be great if most people s actual range of movement were taken into consideration when planning the layout and machine placement.)

big pluses: my gym has decent light and air quality, i am so grateful for this, having seen how bad it can get. things mostly look cleanish (it's just no patrons wipe things).

at another gym i used to go to, there was a women's only room, with a whack of dumbbells up to 50 lbs, a few machines, mats, etc. i have to admit i appreciated that, starting out, and probably would now. it was a good place to learn things without pressure or attitude. was really small though.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I've never "struggled with the gym", and I think that's probably down to the fact that I spent a lot of time in them (including weight rooms) throughout my childhood and teenage years, had really active/athletic parents who also spent lots of time in the gym and lifting, and it just was never an uncomfortable or scary place to me. More like just a normal part of our lives, if that makes sense.

I see LOTS of women at gyms everywhere I've trained, so I don't think that women necessarily struggle with the gym. They seem to prefer the group classes, cardio machines, and to a somewhat lesser degree, the weight machines.

I do think a lot of women struggle with free weights and being in that part of the gym, though.

While my own experience has been different, I can understand this avoidance in the abstract. The free weights section is full of guys--some of them quite large and scary looking. They are sweaty and making weird noises sometimes. Some of them are yelling and dropping barbells/dumbbells. The area appears dirty/grubby to varying degrees. There are all sorts of misconceptions about the danger of free weights. The weight plates and barbells look huge and heavy, and are totally imposing compared to the weight stacks on the machines or the weights they might be used to from Body Pump or whatever....it's just a really foreign environment, I guess. And I think stepping into that section or room probably feels sort of like being the new kid in class. Awkward, a bit scary, you aren't really sure how to behave or what to do, you feel like everyone is staring at you and thinking what a dumb *kitten* you are and WTF are you doing there? So it's just easier/more comfortable to stick with the stuff you know. Treadmill, elliptical, group ex classes, etc.
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I love group fitness classes at the gym. They tend to have a lot more females and I feel more comfortable working out with females and in groups. I will tolerate the treadmill area if I have to.

But like many females, I do NOT like the free weights area, either. Some of the men are intimidating, I also often feel like I'm being stared at. I don't mind the men in the group fitness classes at all. They're totally cool.

Am I being unfair and judging a book by its cover? Perhaps. I can admit this but as a woman I'm going to go what I'm most comfortable with by default.

I used to do free weights more in the past and got over the unease, I could perhaps again. At the moment I'm pretty happy with the body pump weight classes for toning, though.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I did stop going to this one part of the free weights section if a certain couple of guys were there. I was doing squats (back before I stopped doing squats), and they were talking about personal stuff/gossiping all the time. I was right beside them. They gave me dirty looks to hurry up (or just that I could overhear them). I'm thinking 'go gossip somewhere else'. They never did. Later, they'd stop their conversation and stare at me the whole time, looking pissed.

I shouldn't have stopped using the equipment right there. I know that. But man it gets tough when someone is trying to intimidate you day after day. I still don't get why you have to stand in a certain spot to gossip and not lift a dam*ed thing. All they ever did is stand around from what I could see. It was a big weight room and usually practically empty. Move! (Or am I wrong in that?)
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    I did stop going to this one part of the free weights section if a certain couple of guys were there. I was doing squats (back before I stopped doing squats), and they were talking about personal stuff/gossiping all the time. I was right beside them. They gave me dirty looks to hurry up (or just that I could overhear them). I'm thinking 'go gossip somewhere else'. They never did. Later, they'd stop their conversation and stare at me the whole time, looking pissed.

I shouldn't have stopped using the equipment right there. I know that. But man it gets tough when someone is trying to intimidate you day after day. I still don't get why you have to stand in a certain spot to gossip and not lift a dam*ed thing. All they ever did is stand around from what I could see. It was a big weight room and usually practically empty. Move! (Or am I wrong in that?)

No, you're not wrong. They marked out that territory, it felt better to them than the area by the fountain, but you had a right to be there.

idk.. some people are better than others at blocking out that kind of negative energy. I have a hard time ignoring it (hence my hatred of oglers). But my irritation at those teenagers I mentioned earlier was much lessened when I decided to start asking to work in, instead of hoping they'd notice (which is what I initially did, because I'm the kind of person who would notice, and who would cut a workout short if I saw someone else was waiting). I'd ask with a smile, you know, being friendly etc, but with the attitude that I had a right to time on that machine, and showing them I had an expectation to be treated the same.

And while sometimes the teens were little douches regardless, everyone else (of whom I was also intimidated! meaning, burly men) was either polite or would grudgingly let me work in, which was good enough for me.

Now, the staring I do sometimes find too much to bear. Especially because lately I can't work out at the intensity I'd prefer, which would better help me tune out the 'noise' of other people's whatever. So to counter that, I have been wearing really hideous workout clothes, and I am going to get some kind of music playing device asap.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    No clue! I've always felt comfortable in the gym once someone showed me what each machine did (first gym I joined when I was about 20). Before that I always worked out at home so I did mostly circuit training and strength with free weights. Right now I'm back to doing that just to save gas and 'cause I really like not having to get in the car and go to the gym, lol.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    No clue! I've always felt comfortable in the gym once someone showed me what each machine did (first gym I joined when I was about 20). Before that I always worked out at home so I did mostly circuit training and strength with free weights. Right now I'm back to doing that just to save gas and 'cause I really like not having to get in the car and go to the gym, lol.

I agree about not wanting to drive to the gym. I only go to the gym successfully these days, if it is within walking distance. My gym is a 20 minute walk away. It's also near the train station, so it's easy for me to stop there after my daily commute to my dancing.
  • AestheticStar
    AestheticStar Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I've been to a local gym here in my town, & it wasn't too bad. I have anxiety though, so I prefer working out in my own home. Plus, last time I had gone, there was an older guy staring at my behind while I was doing squats & deadlifts.. And that stuff always bothers me.
  • nikkiclaire123
    Options
    well from my experience the guys are intimidating. if im on a weight machine then i get funny looks from other women and looks from men as if to say 'my turn now princess'

i dont lift free weights because i dont really know what to do. the machines i do when its alot quieter.
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I've always felt comfortable in weight rooms and cardio areas but I detest classes. They always seem so clique-ridden, and I don't particularly like been around lots of women. I prefer the company of men

That said I workout at home now and I prefer it as I can dance around like a silly *kitten* to my music between sets
  • nikkiclaire123
    Options
    yes. classes are by far the worst. everyone except me knows what to do and worst of all i have to watch myself do it wrong in a mirror
  • goalss4nika
    goalss4nika Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I dont struggle in the gym. I go in there and own everything I do. I do classes and anything else I'd like to try. I love the gym!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I've always felt comfortable in weight rooms and cardio areas but I detest classes. They always seem so clique-ridden, and I don't particularly like been around lots of women. I prefer the company of men

That said I workout at home now and I prefer it as I can dance around like a silly *kitten* to my music between sets

agree.

I've done classes- but I don't like them- they aren't my thing. i get a lot of backlash because I dance in there- and I think the women get mad at me that I dance there before/after classes.

So judgy.
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I cant grasp it. Lack of confidence?

I dunno. I have a real, "if you dont like it, please bite me at my palest part," attitude. I dont get embarrassed or flustered, so seeing women meltdown at the freeweights makes me stabby.

Then again, im an only child and the only grandchild of my papaw that would hang out with him. So, center of attention complex plus having a "guy time" relationship (hunting, gardening, raising livestock, etc) eith the men in my life has made me much less "delicate flower" than most women.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Everyone who is having fun listing all the reasons not to go to the gym cause it sucks - you stand on this side of the room.

Everyone who is willing to do whatever it takes and be uncomfortable and not let anything stand in your way - yall come on this side over here.

The first group - yall go friendlist each other and yall all sit here and talk about all the things that are wrong with gyms and trainers and weight rooms and the feng shui of bally's and come up with an all encompassing list.

The second group - we're going to go and take care of business and work around the bothersome stuff that we encounter.

In a month - let's all get back together in the middle and see which group has made more progress.

Who's In?