Why is this even remotely controversial?

Options

Replies

• Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    the mentality behind the people complaining about that pictures is a big reason why we are a nation of fatties.
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    bc she's asian.
  • sklarbodds
    sklarbodds Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    "Kang, of Sacramento, California, is a former pageant queen and fitness competitor who founded the nonprofit Fitness Without Borders in 2007. She's also a recovering bulimic."

No, she is not your average "stay-at-home" mom. She already had a serious fitness background prior to having kids.

"Kang says she works out five to six days a week, about an hour at a time, doing a half-hour of strength training and a half-hour of cardio — running, the stair climber, or a spin or Zumba class"

She did not achieve that physique by only doing an hour at a time. That is maintenance for her. She achieved this body prior to children while preparing for pageants and fitness competitions. This alone makes it more likely for her to continue having this body after having children.

I don't think this is controversial, but I don't agree that this is achievable for all women. People are ignoring the facts I posted above which came directly from an interview done with her.

An hour a day 5-6 days a week is more time than is necessary to achieve that physique.

Continue to ignore the fact that she trained for fitness competitions and pageants prior to having children. I'm sure that was for more than an hour a day.

Once again, that is not the life of most women.

unfortunately, the life of most women SHOULD include healthy eating and consistent physical activity and the fact that is usually doesnt is a sad reality we are fighting against.

I work 11 and 12 hour days all the time, plus an almost 2 hour commute, plus i lost a hundred pounds and have tons of physical setbacks that i have to work against or around, plus a booming social life and tons of personal projects. I make the effort to workout regularly because I care about my health and i care about it more than just in a 'am i there yet, can i stop now' way.
    Now that's inspiring!

Just don't say, "What's your excuse?" because that's body shaming.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    the mentality behind the people complaining about that pictures is a big reason why we are a nation of fatties.

I think I'm in love with you.
  • DrunkenFaeGirl
    Options
    It's implying that everyone should look like her. The first issue is that not everyone wants to look like her. The second is that not every body type can look like that. The third is that there are people with actual physical issues that make looking like that a hell of a lot harder than it is for other people. Not everyone has the time time or money to devote to getting that body after 3 babies in 3 years.
    Also, let's not forget that the majority of pics on out there are photoshopped. I doubt she actually looks quite like that. Not a single stretch mark? That is every woman's dream.
    It's shaming to women who don't look like her which isn't motivational to a lot of women. It's actually counter productive to many who know they can't attain perfect bodies or beauty. They look at the digitally enhanced images and ask themselves "why bother?".
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    It's crazy to me that people actually have the audacity to insinuate that this woman is a bad mother for taking time for herself to work on her health and fitness.

The only thing I taught my daughter when I was fat and lazy was how to buy *kitten* groceries, how stuff my face full of *kitten* food, how to sit on my *kitten* and watch tv, how to pile on the pounds, and how to make excuses. But hey, I wasn't spending time working out or preparing food or researching fitness and nutrition, so I must have been a good mom....right??? Not to mention the fact that I was too fat and lazy to get off my *kitten* and take her to the park....or for a walk.....or a bike ride. Yup! Great mom huh?!!!

I will tell you that the lessons that my daughter has learned since I made the decisions to change OUR lives have been immeasurable. The fact that she comments, with pride in her eyes, that she can now "wrap her arms all the way around me" is priceless. The fact that she can tell me what foods are nutritious and why she should be eating them is priceless. The fact that she understands why it's important to be active is priceless.

It's time to look at what is truly important here. That woman didn't put any thoughts in anybody's head that weren't there already. Sometimes it's hardest to look within.

/end rant.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

BUT SHE DIDN'T EVEN MENTION HER OR ANYONE'S BODY!!!

Yes - that's all in caps. Once again, people inferred something that wasn't actually said, FFS.
  • BrandNewFabulousMe
    Options
    So, some fit mom with three kids posted a picture and the words "What's your excuse?" to inspire people. And for whatever reason, there's been heap loads of hate regarding the image. Some have even gone so far as calling her a bully or self-righteous. Here's the image and a link to the article:

feb06a8d-e7ad-495d-8841-d859157ac54f_What-s-Your-Excuse.jpg

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/hot-mom-defends-herself-against-facebook-haters-192149769.html

Anyways, I feel sorry for the haters.

Your thoughts?

some people have health issuesd that cause them to be overweight. Whats the background of the lady in the pic? single mom? work from home? nanny? sitters? husband? personal trainer? always been fit and in good health i think you can't call people haters b/c she puts a pic up with her story. some are offended. I have no excuse. I love to eat point blank. AS a single mom, full-time student with a full-time job my stress is high, my time is limited and I love to eat. so not all situations are the same. im happy she's able to look that great with 3 kids so hey!
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    It's implying that everyone should look like her.
    No it doesn't.
  • BrandNewFabulousMe
    Options
    It's implying that everyone should look like her. The first issue is that not everyone wants to look like her. The second is that not every body type can look like that. The third is that there are people with actual physical issues that make looking like that a hell of a lot harder than it is for other people. Not everyone has the time time or money to devote to getting that body after 3 babies in 3 years.
    Also, let's not forget that the majority of pics on out there are photoshopped. I doubt she actually looks quite like that. Not a single stretch mark? That is every woman's dream.
    It's shaming to women who don't look like her which isn't motivational to a lot of women. It's actually counter productive to many who know they can't attain perfect bodies or beauty. They look at the digitally enhanced images and ask themselves "why bother?".

agreed! amen!
  • _amluvstld_
    Options

Yes - that's all in caps. Once again, people inferred something that wasn't actually said, FFS.

I read it more as tongue-in-cheek.
  • shierrarobin
    Options
    I think this is only offensive to two kinds of people: those who are insecure about their appearance, and other moms who work just as hard as her, but do not have the same results.

In both cases, she cannot be faulted for their animosity. Insecurity is a personal issue that only the person him/herself can resolve.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    No it doesn't.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    "Kang, of Sacramento, California, is a former pageant queen and fitness competitor who founded the nonprofit Fitness Without Borders in 2007. She's also a recovering bulimic."

No, she is not your average "stay-at-home" mom. She already had a serious fitness background prior to having kids.

"Kang says she works out five to six days a week, about an hour at a time, doing a half-hour of strength training and a half-hour of cardio — running, the stair climber, or a spin or Zumba class"

She did not achieve that physique by only doing an hour at a time. That is maintenance for her. She achieved this body prior to children while preparing for pageants and fitness competitions. This alone makes it more likely for her to continue having this body after having children.

I don't think this is controversial, but I don't agree that this is achievable for all women. People are ignoring the facts I posted above which came directly from an interview done with her.
    Former athletes can struggle with an increase in adiposity as well whether it be from pregnancy or simply chronically adhering to habits which promote it. Sure, from a physiological standpoint, it may be a bit easier. But mentally, many may focus too much on the extremes of being formerly fit to now being very fat and think it's impossible to return to their prior shape. I've met numerous former athletes who held that perspective as a one time personal trainer. The point is they, like everyone else, still need to make the commitment rather than excuses if they wish to achieve their goals.
  • sklarbodds
    Options
    It's crazy to me that people actually have the audacity to insinuate that this woman is a bad mother for taking time for herself to work on her health and fitness.

The only thing I taught my daughter when I was fat and lazy was how to buy *kitten* groceries, how stuff my face full of *kitten* food, how to sit on my *kitten* and watch tv, how to pile on the pounds, and how to make excuses. But hey, I wasn't spending time working out or preparing food or researching fitness and nutrition, so I must have been a good mom....right??? Not to mention the fact that I was too fat and lazy to get off my *kitten* and take her to the park....or for a walk.....or a bike ride. Yup! Great mom huh?!!!

I will tell you that the lessons that my daughter has learned since I made the decisions to change OUR lives have been immeasurable. The fact that she comments, with pride in her eyes, that she can now "wrap her arms all the way around me" is priceless. The fact that she can tell me what foods are nutritious and why she should be eating them is priceless. The fact that she understands why it's important to be active is priceless.

It's time to look at what is truly important here. That woman didn't put any thoughts in anybody's head that weren't there already. Sometimes it's hardest to look within.

/end rant.
    :flowerforyou: :love: :heart:

That's the part that gets me the most. I am SO MUCH a better father now that I'm healthier it's borderline ridiculous. And I had all the excuses too...2 jobs, 3 kids, wife that hated my working out, etc. etc.

I finally said enough is enough. If she's going to complain about my time away, I'll get up before everyone else does and be done working out before they're up (5:30am). I will stop eating the crap we're eating and I'll eat better food. I'll stop using spending time with my kids as an excuse when I spend 2-3 hours per day watching TV.

And I am SOOOOOOOO much more patient, more loving, more kind, more energetic to do things with them. I not only take them to the park, but I play with them. I run around with them. I swim with them at the pool instead of sitting pool side worrying about taking my shirt off.

Taking time out of my day to get healthy was probably the best decision I've ever made as a father.
  • sklarbodds
    Options

You know me so well :):heart:
  • sklarbodds
    Options
    Not even in the slightest. It's implying that busy people can find the time, they just prioritize other things over it.
  • lrichardson2360
    lrichardson2360 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    You can tell her kids are not by the same man. Lol! Gosh seriously and seriously not jealous at all I will say the title is rude. Not that being out of shape is anyone's fault but there own, still I am sensitive. I mean who would really want to be friends with someone with that personality. It just seems like showing out to me. I find it hard to believe she has ever been overweight in her life and genetically I find it hard to think she will ever be. Plus to have three kids, well these result not typical.

Hermione-Raising-Hand.gif

ME TOO, ME TOO!!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

You know me so well :):heart:

My apologies - to you, anyway - then. :embarassed: