You eat too much.

Options

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I don't have high cholesterol.

Saturated fat is bad again? I thought we moved past that.

So... again... Got anything?

The problem here is you don't eat particularly unhealthy, so you guys end up talking past each other. Always said your diary was a good example. Getting pretty decent macros and making generally solid food choices, even at McD and Taco Bell. You shouldn't be experiencing problems, whereas people making careless choices might. MFP enables this. Can walk safely through a minefield if you have a good map.
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Let us see, for the last two years I've averaged 500-600 mg of cholesterol daily, between 60-100 g of fat, eat a pint of ice cream (EVERY NIGHT) and between 300-400g of carbs (100-200 coming from sugar). My cholesterol? Between 97 - 105 every single test.

You know what impacts cholesterol the most? Obesity, exercise, & genetics.

I could post a lot of unverifiable info about my health also.

Would you believe that?
    Yeah, I thought so.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

The problem here is you don't eat particularly unhealthy, so you guys end up talking past each other. Always said your diary was a good example. Getting pretty decent macros and making generally solid food choices, even at McD and Taco Bell. You shouldn't be experiencing problems, whereas people making careless choices might. MFP enables this. Can walk safely through a minefield if you have a good map.

Hildy looked at my diary and said my diet is terrible. So I'm asking her why.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    What do I possibly gain by deceit? My food has been meticulously logged for the last 885 days. My diary is open.
  • LiminalAscendance
    Options
    What do I possibly gain by deceit? My food has been meticulously logged for the last 885 days. My diary is open.

Well, the "gain" would be to prove a point for your argument (some seem to consider this important, especially in forums).

And I'm not saying your diary is incorrect, but the fact remains all diary entries aren't verifiable, period.

But you know this.
  • jwdieter
    Options

Hildy looked at my diary and said my diet is terrible. So I'm asking her why.

In that case, I dunno. I think a lot of your choices are sub-par in the taste arena, which is obviously purely subjective. I happen to like cauliflower too, so hey whatever.

Nutritionally it's a great model for someone who wants to eat these types of food. If people interested in incorporating Mcdoubles and Doritos tacos made your choices, millions of people could avoid obesity and related health issues.
  • grandpoobah12
    Options
    One of the secrets, however, is figuring out how much is 'too much'. We all have different levels of calorie need. If we compare ourselves to others, who may burn more calories than we do, then we will get frustrated when we don't lose weight,

If we don't know how many calories are in the food we eat. We don't know how much is too much either.

Education is the key. And a dose of honest reality.

Yup, Having the hardest time finding a level I lose at. Working on being consistent with exercise should help. I eat too much, and I exercise too much.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Let us see, for the last two years I've averaged 500-600 mg of cholesterol daily, between 60-100 g of fat, eat a pint of ice cream (EVERY NIGHT) and between 300-400g of carbs (100-200 coming from sugar). My cholesterol? Between 97 - 105 every single test.

Would you believe that?
    Yeah, I thought so.

I actually would have believed you until reading this. Why presume someone is lying unless you yourself tend to lie and assume everyone else is the same?
  • LiminalAscendance
    Options

Would you believe that?
    Yeah, I thought so.

I actually would have believed you until reading this. Why presume someone is lying unless you yourself tend to lie and assume everyone else is the same?

It doesn't matter whether you believe me or not, since I'm not interested in changing anyone else's views on what they eat. I've met my goals, and have no axe to grind.

And you shouldn't believe anyone (and yes, that includes me) that presents unverifiable information in order to make their argument.
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options

Would you believe that?
    Yeah, I thought so.

It doesn't matter whether you believe me or not, since I'm not interested in changing anyone else's views on what they eat. I've met my goals, and have no axe to grind.

And you shouldn't believe anyone (and yes, that includes me) that presents unverifiable information in order to make their argument.

When it comes to discussing nutrition/fitness/etc on a website, you have to rely on unverifiable information. You have to take what the OP says as truth, otherwise there'd be no point in discussing anything on sites like this.

You see the cup half empty, a lot of us see it half full. There's no reason *not* to believe what the posters say.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I got addicted to collecting the Mc Donald toys. I wasn't interested in the 'food', and used to give the kid's meal to some poor homeless person.
  • EdwardNortonFan43
    EdwardNortonFan43 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    http://www.kernelmag.com/features/report/6051/you-eat-too-much/

Most of you know this. Many of you don't. You don't get fat by eating the wrong foods or your genetics or whatever. You get fat by eating too much. End of story.

There are no magic diets. There are no evil nutrients. There are no bad foods. If you achieve and maintain a healthy body composition and exercise regularly you will have basically the best physical health you can have within a margin of maybe a couple of percent.

Take ownership of how much you eat and you will succeed. That's what MFP is all about.

I think you are wrong. I've been watching a lot of documentaries on Netflix these past couple of weeks about food, diet. If you think there are no "bad foods" you are highly mistaken and should do some more research.
  • LiminalAscendance
    Options

Would you believe that?
    Yeah, I thought so.

When it comes to discussing nutrition/fitness/etc on a website, you have to rely on unverifiable information. You have to take what the OP says as truth, otherwise there'd be no point in discussing anything on sites like this.

You see the cup half empty, a lot of us see it half full. There's no reason *not* to believe what the posters say.

When someone says "I'm not losing weight. Please look at my diary." then you're correct. Some assumption has to be made as to the poster's authenticity (at least initially), or there is no starting point for discussion. (This doesn't change the fact that there are times when an individual's diary entries are called into question, however.)

When an individual presents their diary and personal health information, in order to make a larger point about health-related issues in general, then my point definitely stands.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

Many people here spend hundreds of hours and have thousands of posts, sharing their education and experiences, for free, and often with no thanks whatsoever... But they're lying just to amuse themselves and sabotage everyone? I have a bit more faith in human nature than that.
  • LiminalAscendance
    Options

Many people here spend hundreds of hours and have thousands of posts, sharing their education and experiences, for free, and often with no thanks whatsoever... But they're lying just to amuse themselves and sabotage everyone? I have a bit more faith in human nature than that.

I've already addressed this, but I'll also point out that some of those "thousands of posts" are face-palming kitty gifs.

Just sayin'.

ETA - Off for the night. You guys can have the "last word."
  • jonnythan
    Options

Most of you know this. Many of you don't. You don't get fat by eating the wrong foods or your genetics or whatever. You get fat by eating too much. End of story.

There are no magic diets. There are no evil nutrients. There are no bad foods. If you achieve and maintain a healthy body composition and exercise regularly you will have basically the best physical health you can have within a margin of maybe a couple of percent.

Take ownership of how much you eat and you will succeed. That's what MFP is all about.

I think you are wrong. I've been watching a lot of documentaries on Netflix these past couple of weeks about food, diet. If you think there are no "bad foods" you are highly mistaken and should do some more research.

Netflix movies are not research, I'm afraid.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

Let me guess: Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead, Super Size Me, Weight of the Nation, Food Inc, Wheat Belly..... Been there, done that. I took my tin foil hat off a few months ago. You may want to consider going to other sources for your information.
  • jonnythan
    Options

I've already addressed this, but I'll also point out that some of those "thousands of posts" are face-palming kitty gifs.

Just sayin'.

You are calling some of the most prolific and helpful people on the forum liars. GTFOOHWTS.
  • EdwardNortonFan43
    EdwardNortonFan43 Posts: 150 Member
    Options

Netflix movies are not research, I'm afraid.

I didn't say movies. I said documentaries, and YES, there is a lot of research involved in the ones I've watched. You are delusional.
  • jwdieter
    Options
    Let me guess: Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead, Super Size Me, Weight of the Nation, Food Inc, Wheat Belly..... Been there, done that. I took my tin foil hat off a few months ago. You may want to consider going to other sources for your information.

Forks over Knives and Wheat Belly are in their own category. A lot of the others fit into the grand scheme of things. If you eat supersize meals 3x/day, you'll probably destroy your TDEE. If you drink only juice, you'll probably be waaay under your TDEE. Portion sizes etc.

All legit and counterable by tracking and eating an appropriate amount of food. But China Study stuff is urgh.