WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2013

Options

Replies

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Michele - you have saved my life, or at least my sanity! I finally got around to trying the hair dryer on the bug bites. Hubby was skeptical (too simple), but after spending 20 bucks or so on itch treatments that didn't work, I tried the hair dryer. That was about 4 hours ago and the itch still has not returned. Genius!!! Thanks a bunch!

Sylvia
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy hump day!!
    Hope you have a great day!!
    HUGS
    jane(from IL)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,363 Member
    Options
    Finally back home. I've had a short nap and feel revived. Was a bit knocked out this pm. I love company but it was full on.

Bath is really lovely. The Royal Crescent is gorgeous and last thing yesterday we went to the museum in one of the houses. I always like the servant's areas the best, but it was all interesting. Our hotel was very nearby and there was also the Circus, a complete circle of Georgian terraces. The stone is a lovely warm gold. It is such a pleasure to walk through the streets with the alley ways and arches. Loads of shops including a sausage shop! We went first to the Abbey with its Jacobs Ladder decoration on the front. Then we went round the Roman Baths. What a great museum. It is so well organised and arranged so you can really picture the scene, with the temple to Minerva, the sacred spring in which people threw curses they had written on metal, and all the different temperature baths. They had digital displays so you could see ehere you were standing in the temple complex and watch Romans moving around. Excellent. Then we had lunch in a seafood place. I had mussels. In the afternoon four of us went to the Herschel Museum of Astronomy - an ordinary house and garden where Herschel and his sister made telescopes in the 1770s and discovered Uranus and many comets. It was very moving standing in the garden just where they had spent so many nights staring at the stars and seeing the workshop where they made and polished the mirrors for the telescopes. The boiling mercury escaped from the furnace and cracked all the stone floor. I loved it as I have recently read a book called The Age of Wonder, which is all about 18th century scientific enquiry.
    Our meals were all excellent and slimming, especially the last night. It was an Italian place with excellent service and I was able to choose tuna carpaccio and sword fish with vegetables. I had a very fishy couple of days!
    England won the football so they will be going to the World Cup in Brazil. DH stayed in the hotel to watch it and joined us in the bar afterwards.
    The morning of yesterday we very nearly came home as DH had had such a bad night, but changing rooms was a great idea as we both got a good night's sleep in our twin beds. He took a sleeping pill. We are both so glad we stayed. I did feel a bit agitated myself that morning with no sleep, but the day went really well. Lovely to catch up with friends I have known since I was 10.

DH's birthday tomorrow. We had thought of going to Portsmouth, but we both feel we have had enough gallivanting so we are going out to a pub for lunch and I will cook him a lovely dinner with his favourite best end of lamb. I have done poached peaches in white wine and bought Jersey cream. For a starter I have got locally smoked trout, with horseradish. Eating two celebratory meals in one day may be a touch testing, but I managed really well in Bath, sticking to fish and veg with no carbs, so I hope I can manage it tomorrow. I did drink a bit too much, so will be careful. Fortunately I will drive back from the pub so DH can have a few beers, so that will be a good thing. He has had his radio present so I will give him chocolate truffles in the morning. It's a good thing he needs feeding up! ! ! ! ! !
    Friday we are up to London to see the grandchildren and take DGS out for the afternoon. Phew!
    I hope we will get down to Portsmouth next week to see the Historic Dockyard. It's 34 years since I last visited the ships including Nelson's Victory.
    Love to all. I missed you when I was in Bath.
    Heather, back in Hampshire UK
  • Suzy_in_DE
    Suzy_in_DE Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies –

Time sure does fly. Sorry, I haven’t been able to read all the posts since my last post on page 11. Have been doing well with my fitness goals this week and have re-started logging my foods. My weight has been constant, no gain/no loss. This has been my weight for the last 2 months, so I am either at my set weight of I am at a serious plateau. For the most part I am happy with how I look, but I would still like to lose an additional 10 pounds. I do need to re-start doing my back exercises as I’ve been experiencing some lower back pain, this usually occurs when I have to do a lot of standing. I went to physical therapy a few years ago and they gave me a good regimen of exercises that helped with the back pain, I just need to get back in the habit of doing those every day.

As the weather is getting cooler, I need to take some time tonight and bring all my houseplants inside. Also, need to empty out all my outdoor planters and clean them out. In years past, I hadn’t done this soon enough and some of the ceramic pots had cracked by the time the first freeze happened. I really enjoy the fall weather, but do not enjoy how it is getting dark sooner

:smooched: Meg – isn’t it funny, who some smokers “reek”, sorry you had to put up with that. I’m sensitive to smells to and strong perfumes can set me off.

:smooched: : :smooched: Michelle – does your daughter still live in Kennett? There are a lot of neat places there.

We well ladies,
    Suzy
  • SSCartwright
    Options
    Hello everyone. So glad I found a group of 50+ ladies that understand how losing weight as your body matures gets harder and harder. I turned 52 on Monday and decided that once and for all I want to be "New @ 52" so I'm determined that I will get truly get healthier and hotter instead of sicker and older. I have worked in a nursing home for 31years and I see daily the devastation that bad eating and fitness habits cause. I am so excited about the changes that ARE possible and I know that I can overcome the years of bad choices I have made. Sure need the support and encouragement of people who understand what I am going thru being a "foodaholic". I shudder to think what would happen to me if I were an alcholic or addicted to drugs because the people who love me are so determined that I never be deprived of a "Little Debbie" cake, ice cream, cheese burgers, ff, or various and other "goodies" that I wonder if they would be so determined to give me a drink or a joint/pill/hit, etc. I know they love me, but give me a break. I weigh over 200 lbs., do they think I am in danger of going into "DT's"????? I know there is no easy way to lose this weight. I know there must be a lifestyle change and not just a diet. I know that what goes on is my head is more important than what is going in my mouth. I know I have to move my butt.........often and consistently. I know that there are some things I love that are wayyyyy off limits for a long time, maybe always. My head knows these things so I have to get it out of my head and into my life on a daily basis. Looking forward to making new friends who are in the same boat as me...............that way when I get up you know what creek without a paddle, there will be someone to help me bale myself out! Thanks in advance.
  • jfenner141
    jfenner141 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Been reading all the comments about the smoker smell Meg had to put up with. :grumble: I smoked many years ago and a lot of smokers have no idea they reek. Part of it is due to their loss of smell and part to just being used to it. If that smoker had to drive to the meeting, she was probably smoking in her car - that seems to intensify the smell in clothing, etc. Even as a smoker, I never allowed smoking in my car and didn't smoke in small, enclosed spaces, like bathrooms. (That was in the days when it seemed everyone smoked).

Meg - since this does make you sick :frown: maybe this is another opportunity to stick up for yourself! Some ideas - ask if any future meetings can be held in a much larger space so you can stay as far as possible from the smoker. Or ask to telecommute/skype to the meetings so you don't have to be physically there. There has to be a way to accommodate you! Be creative :heart: I don't think they'll let you throw the smoker into a shower clothes and all :bigsmile:

Jill in western MA
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    SSCartwirght love your picture,I am a heron lover and that is just stunning, welcome to the group , you will find all of us fun to be with and will get to know everyone~
  • SSCartwright
    Options
    Thanks so much for the welcome. I believe that picture came from an island south of us, St. Simon's. I have a friend who has ALS there and I spend every weekend there taking care of her. I just love the ocean, rivers, streams, anything wet and all the beautiful creatures God put at home there. I am so looking forward to getting to know everyone and supporting them in any way I can.
  • AnneCarolOne
    AnneCarolOne Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thank you, Linda, for your comments. My brother-in-law makes diamond willow walking sticks and I was thinking of asking him to make me a matching pair. It will be easier on my shoulders on long walks.. Might as well be stylin" as I shuffle through the woods! ;)
    Anne
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Pat
    I thought kids went through phases. So I will tell what I've told many mothers it will pass with time.
    I come to putter in around 7 am and like to be off it by 9 that's if I don't go out to coffee.

Katla
    If it looks like something your not comfortable with tell them right away. So they have time to replace you.

Heather
    Sounds like you had a good time in Bath.

Suzy
    Could it be that your body is comfortable where it's at. It don't want to shed more.

ssc Carthwright
    Welcome and seems like your in the right frame of mind.
    Move more eat less is the trick to losing weight.

Well i'm coming in from tops almost made it under 200 but still .8 of a lb to go. So next week will be there for sure.
    I'm under at home on the wii barely but under. I lost 1.8 for the week. The lemon water really quenches your hunger.
    So i'm sure it helped with the weight loss.

See you all lighter
    Linda in Northern Ontario.
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Greetings to all my vitamin F pals! Whew do I feel better! I hope I don’t have any more meetings with that faculty member again! My office still has an odor, but after leaving the door open all day it is pretty much gone. Not much exciting going on here; I’m watching the Red Sox hoping they win again. DD#2 is at work….she had to put in her 2 week notice tonight because her grades were not good on her report card and she doesn’t seek out help. It was a nice fall day here, in the 50s and sunny.

I made my favorite spicy bean soup tonight. I remembered it as low cal and low fat, but didn’t even consider the carbs. We always have it with homemade tortilla chips (made from wraps) with guacamole and either mango chunks or mango-jicama salad. Too many carbs, so we left out the salad and I ate only ¾ of the wrap, but still too many carbs. I can tweak the recipe next time and really up the veggies and I found this brand of wraps has low carb versions, so I’ll try those too.

Lin: as long as she doesn’t smoke on campus there is nothing we can do about a faculty member who smokes. I don’t usually react this badly but she reeks! She works full time in an ICU and I can’t believe they let her take care of patients smelling that bad.

Rori: have a great trip to NYC! I love that place!

Sylvia: congratulations on the scales! The costumes sound so cute; I love Halloween.

Michele: you do more shopping than anyone I know

Katla: so happy DH’s report was a good one. I always wanted to serve on a jury. I got called one time but wrote to ask for a delay til summer because we have no ability to find substitutes. After several long weeks I got a letter saying “After reviewing your doctor’s report, we have found you either physically or mentally unfit to serve on a jury”. WHAT???? It was pretty funny!

Barbie: you always have such good suggestions

Joyce; hope the weather holds out for the petting zoo. I always enjoy those even if I do come home smelling like a goat!

Puzzler: I do the same when I eat out

AnneCarol: being an old ER nurse, I really admire firefighters, cops, and paramedics. Good luck to your DD

Yanniejannie: don’t you love decorating for Halloween?

Renny: jazzercise sounds fun

Pat: sorry you are so tired tonight! I go through spells like that too. There really isn’t enough room in my office to get very far
    away. But now that this happened, if I ever have to meet with her again, I’ll make it in an open space.

Grandmallie: sorry about the sunburn!

Lin: let us know how the Epsom salts worked out. I’ve never tried them

Sylvia: ice also helps with itching bites according to DH who has been on steroids three times now for the chiggers

Heather; your trip sounds so lovely and your cooking is heavenly!

Suzy: hope those back exercises work!

SSCartwright: welcome to our group! You are so right that what goes on in your head is more important than what goes in your mouth.

Jill: I do know that person smokes in her car…a lot. In one of the last classes she taught, the faculty had to throw out the student folders including all their papers because they smelled so bad. Thanks for the suggestions!

Well I need to start getting off my butt instead of watching all these baseball games, but post season is only a couple weeks a year so it’s hard to convince myself of that! Take care all….I’m depressed….the Sox are behind 5-0 after a really bad inning. Hope the Cardinals are still in it; missed their game today. Take care all, Meg from Omaha
  • Kalley1959
    Kalley1959 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Went to the Y tonight and did an hour of strength training. I have to say that I'm struggling with staying positive. When I joined the Y on Sept 1 I did just cardio and gained 4.6 lbs. I weigh more now then when I started at the Y :noway:

I know that I'm stronger and I haven't done my measurements in the last 2 weeks. I'm not giving up but it's hard not to tie my mood by the number on the scale.

I'm finally going to get my hair done tomorrow night, time to chop it off :happy:

Welcome to the newcomers! Keep coming back and post often.

:heart: Sandy from ON
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I just have a moment to post but I wanted to share about my lunch today. Once a month I go out to lunch with a group from the line dance class. I Have finally figured out what to order and today I ended up with the most beautiful meal at the table……grilled chicken breast, two slices of a gigantic beefsteak tomato and steamed veggies (beautiful broccoli and cauliflower florets and sliced carrots). Everybody else’s lunch was beige and brown---sandwiches, potato salad, navy bean soup. I ignore the menu and just order what I want.

:flowerforyou: Did my weight training this afternoon and added a new exercise.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington

"The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT."

“If it’s important to you then you will find a way, if it’s not you’ll find an excuse.”

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif

:bigsmile: 26,000 steps today

October Resolutions (with middle of the month comments)
    *strength training three days a week (grea, but I have to work hard to be sure I do it)
    *change some of my strength training routine (minor changes)
    *don’t take things personally (really have to work at this)
    *practice dance for 20-30 minutes three days a week (not as much as I wanted but 45 minutes last night)
    * say “No” to candy (the only opportunities were the mints in restaurants, but I did it)
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Hi girls!
    Baked a carrot cake AND a chocolate cake for my Dad's birthday party this Saturday. Froze both cakes and will frost the chocolate cake on Friday...all scratch made.
    My menu:
    Grilled salmon
    beef tenderloin on dollar rolls with horse-radish sauce
    ceasar salad
    homemade 4-cheese macaroni & cheese.
    Will have strawberries and blueberries for those who don't want cake.
    My brother's girlfriend has a previous event so I don't have to prepare vegan for her.
    Family is starting to arrive. My nephew and his girlfriend are staying with me and he is so helpful. I had him move heavy tvs and a mattress. These young kids just move stuff so easily. It's an ordeal to move stuff with DH..."why? what are you going to do with it? I'll do it after I finish what I'm doing (maybe, if I remind him). Just leave it, it's fine." grrr.
    Cleaned some windows tonight in the Living room and polished furniture.
    Lifted weights at the community center while Dad was doing his PD exercise class. I pushed him today. He didn't want to go because he would be a few minutes late...doesn't like being late. Too bad. I said, "you have to get the exercise. It's vital>" He was pissed but was glad he went afterwards. Imagine that?
    Funny...he told me exactly what he wants to wear at his bday party...hehe.

Lin- I have a friend who is a chain smoker. He reeks and it's sickening to smell him. I can't imagine a nurse smelling of cigarette smoke. I remember we were not even allowed to wear any scents because it nauseated the patient.

Bye all. Good night.
    Susan
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Finally back home with my cat by my side. Very, very exhausted. Did really well two meals out of three. Did poorly on the water. Rained off and on most of today. The DGD other Grandma lives on our way home so we dropped them off at her house on the way back to our house. Didn't know were she lived, go really, really lost. Finally got there and then got lost trying to find the interstate again. Then when it was time for us to finally get on the interstate that we always take that comes through here the exit ramp was closed. I had seen the detour sign that it was closed and which interstate to take instead. DH didn't believe me and we got lost again. We so good to finally see I 64 W again. Ok, nite, nite. Time to hibernate

Joyce, Indiana
  • tazgirl1960
    tazgirl1960 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Barbiecat--Diary is open

:flowerforyou: I looked at your diary and noticed that you eat at restaurants and fast food places.....that would be a good place to start making small changes...even when you're away from home there are ways to find food at the grocery store rather than restaurants....any time you can substitute real food for processed food, you will provide more nourishment for your body which in turn will provide more energy which will allow you to be more active and burn more calories.......take baby steps.....look at your food diary each day and look for items that have a lot of calories but not much food to eat.and find something to replace it.......a good example is that 3 cups of green beans have about the same amount of calories as a serving of salad dressing with a lot more to eat and a lot more nourishment and a lot less sodium......and don't forget to drink a lot of water.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • tazgirl1960
    tazgirl1960 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Barbiecat--You are right I do eat a lot of food outside of home, I am on the road everyday, all day (500 to 600 miles a week of traveling :tongue: ) And I am in 12 to 14 grocery stores a day as well (my job is with a Food Brokerage Co.). It is just so much easier to grab something to go than to pack my lunch, BUT I know I should, just some laziness on my part :embarassed: . But you are correct in that I need to make better food choices, Thank you for the honesty, it is what I need to hear. :flowerforyou: . I will work on this. The pedometer seems to help a lot, it says I walk at least 2 to 2.5 miles per day.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,363 Member
    Options
    Sandy - stay strong!:flowerforyou: It must be hugely frustrating to be putting in all that work and it not showing on the scales. Maybe your weighing and measuring has been a bit off. I find I can be consuming a lot more than I thought if I am not rigorous with the calories. With all your stress recently I'm surprised you are managing to do anything at all. But don't give up.

Susan- love the menus. I hope it all goes really well. I agree with you about young people and jobs. How simple it all is for them! I remember a 17 year old daughter of a cleaner, who took over from her mum for a couple of weeks. The amount of work she got through! And she picked up the hoover with one finger! And I am with you about getting husbands to understand why we need to do things NOW!

Done my gymming and strength training for today. Will jump in the shower and prepare myself for DH's birthday pub lunch. I am going to wear a pencil skirt I bought when I bought my mini skirt and my heeled long boots. I never wear them because I usually have to walk, but we are going in the car. I will take flats with me for driving home. DH opened his truffles and cards and then a huge parcel arrived from his daughter in Geneva. It turned out to be a decanter. A very nice, modern carafe type one. His other daughter had sent him 3 posh bottles of wine in a lovely wooden gift box, so we will decant the best one tonight! As I am driving I will only have one unit for lunch so will have a couple of glasses tonight.

Off to scrub up.
    Heather UK
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    We drove to Springfield yesterday, checked in to the hotel, went to the room, hubby says "oh, hard candy", and immediately breaks a tooth on said candy. GRRR! So, we have a friend in Joplin who is a dentist. We called him and he agreed to see Bill at 7:15 this morning. So we got up at 5am to drive 75 minutes to the dentists office, then will drive back to Springfield so hubby can continue at his conference. Not the nice mini-vacation I thought it was going to be, but it could have been worse. Our room was very nice, but we didn't get to enjoy it very long. I'm still hoping to have some time to myself today in the big city. There is a really nice walking trail, and I need to do some shopping.

Yesterday when I was getting ready to go, I put on my jeans and was just disgusted at how big and baggy they were. I needed suspenders. So I ran to walmart and bought some new Size 20 jeans. I felt so good in them, it was wonderful. I had washed my old jeans in hot water, hoping they would shrink, but no luck. I had been wearing size 24s, but before that it was size 26, 28 and some 30's, so you can imagine my delight with the new jeans. I even made hubby take my picture in them. I don't have the nerve to post it yet, but I really can see some improvement. Don't get me wrong, I am still a very fat woman, but not quite as fat as before.

I noticed this morning how much easier it is to say "no thank you" to stuff I used to love. Bill asked if I wanted to go through mcdonalds drive through for breakfast, and I said I'd rather just eat a banana. That has to mean something good.

Hope everybody has a great big sparkly day!

Sylvia
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Hello Friends,

Rita: I am a long-distance landlady. I have trusted service providers I can call if needed to do any repairs to the place. I can recommend a company that electronically debits the monthly rent from my tenant’s checking account and deposits to mine.

Well, I have to pack and print a boarding pass for a trip to NYC tomorrow. Will squeeze in an early AM cardio workout before heading to the airport..

Stay well.
    Rori in the Colorado Foothills
    October Goals:
     Cardio with intervals as prescribed by Rose 4x per week
     Body weight strength training routine 3x per week
     Leg stretches every day
     Hit my daily protein and fiber goals 4x per week

Hi Rori,
    Can you send me the information about that company you use? ritadelia1520@gmail.com
    Thanks!
    PS everyone else, if you ever want to email me, feel free! Just mention how I know you in the email so I don't think it is spam! LOL

Well, work has been a trial this week, home packing is stepping up. We have to completely empty my 'computer room' which looks like an electronic fix it shop, so we can replace the rug before we move. The last Rat Terrier, Cutie, I had was extremely sick and when her kidneys and liver stopped working, she expelled this really awful smelly (looked like coagulated blood) stuff before I put her down to ease her suffering. I was at work when that happened and my hubby couldn't take it so just cut the rug where the stuff was. This must be replaced before we move. Worst room in the house to empty! UHG. Worked until 8:00 pm then did school work for an hour before bed at 9:00, so didn't have time to post.

I am reading everyone's posts and will respond when I can. Just really busy!!

Rita from TN (8 days to moving truck for CT!)