You eat too much.

Options

Replies

• metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Eat less, move more. Hit your macros, eat something with a few frickin vitamins in it. And for the love, quit bickering with strangers on the internet.

And buy a sandwich for the next homeless person you see!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I would like to see the studies cited in that. Ebbeling has a bunch of studies out, all on obese subjects from what I have seen and also seeming to focus on the impact of different diets on people who were insulin resistant. I cannot find a research paper that discussed the all four diets mentioned in the article (it would be could to see if you anyone can find it). However, the article mentions that the study was for four weeks - not long enough to come to any conclusions. It also should be noted that protein was not held constant.

Counterpoint.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa022207
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options

I would like to see the studies cited in that. Ebbeling has a bunch of studies out, all on obese subjects from what I have seen and also seeming to focus on the impact of different diets on people who were insulin resistant. I cannot find a research paper that discussed the all four diets mentioned in the article (it would be could to see if you anyone can find it). However, the article mentions that the study was for four weeks - not long enough to come to any conclusions. It also should be noted that protein was not held constant.

Counterpoint.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa022207
    9 pages?! That's all?! MOAR!

counter counter point:

http://nutrition.stanford.edu/projects/az.html

There's a good video to go along with it as well.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eREuZEdMAVo&noredirect=1

Bottom line is that some people have different reaction to the carbohydrate nutrient than other people. Those people lose weight easier on a low-carb diet. Some people are on the other end of the spectrum and lose less weight on a low-carb diet and more weight on a low-fat diet.

Sara -Here's another metabolic ward study that actually lasted 12 weeks. All of the subjects tried all of the diets in 3 different orders on a maintenance basis after weight loss. The low-carb folks had higher metabolisms than SAD or low-fat diet. Unfortunately the low-carb diet also increased the proportion of calories coming from protein, so that may be a confounder. In the end the study author recommends the low-glycemic diet because it improves inflammation markers better than either of the other two diets.

Link here: http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1199154
    "Conclusion Among overweight and obese young adults compared with pre–weight-loss energy expenditure, isocaloric feeding following 10% to 15% weight loss resulted in decreases in REE and TEE that were greatest with the low-fat diet, intermediate with the low–glycemic index diet, and least with the very low-carbohydrate diet."

For the record, I am not a low-carber. I eat all kinda crap.
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Tagging to read later, because this is always a fun topic sure to bring out the trolls on both sides
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I heard this is a dangerous thread in which to post...

...and I like to live dangerously (online), so...

...in*...

Now to go back and catch up on what's left of the nine pages I missed.

(* Sure, I was already in...but wanted to make absolutely sure I stayed in.)
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options

...in*...

6eb.gif
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Tagging to read at a later date :bigsmile:
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    There are no winners in this thread.
    Sam and Dean are here. We are all of us winners.

Quoted for win.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    There are no winners in this thread.
    Sam and Dean are here. We are all of us winners.

Quoted for win.

That originally quoted post was my initial entry into this thread. I remember nothing else about this thread...and may not have even read it all...but I'm still standing by my original post.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    http://www.kernelmag.com/features/report/6051/you-eat-too-much/

Most of you know this. Many of you don't. You don't get fat by eating the wrong foods or your genetics or whatever. You get fat by eating too much. End of story.

There are no magic diets. There are no evil nutrients. There are no bad foods. If you achieve and maintain a healthy body composition and exercise regularly you will have basically the best physical health you can have within a margin of maybe a couple of percent.

Take ownership of how much you eat and you will succeed. That's what MFP is all about.

...except cauliflower. It's pure evil.

Agreed. It's of the Devil.

It's only the devil because people keep trying to make it into something it's not. Let cauliflower just be......

Cauliflower is Broccoli's ugly, bland, and tasteles younger sister that no one really wants around but tolerates because Broccoli's mom says so.

yum yum cauliflower and spinach dip!

Why would you ruin spinach by turning it into dip? It's a lovely vegetable all on its own.

I won't dignify the use of yum in the same sentence as cauliflower with further acknowledgment.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    This is still going? Sweet.

Ross2.gif
  • smantha32
    Options
    Eat less, move more. Hit your macros, eat something with a few frickin vitamins in it. And for the love, quit bickering with strangers on the internet.

Well sandwiches are evil according to this. :wink:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1116774-do-not-eat-sandwiches

edited because I forgot the link like a moron.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Is it this thread where I learned that homeless people should never eat McDonald's too?

...or was that a different thread?
  • Adrianachiarato
    Adrianachiarato Posts: 362 Member
    Options

...except cauliflower. It's pure evil.

Noooooooooo... I love cauliflower!!!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    IN for a thoughtful discussion of privilege and how it skews understanding of such things as the plight of the homeless

No, wait. Wrong site.

IN for jimmie rustlin'.
  • smantha32
    Options
    [/quote]

Is it this thread where I learned that homeless people should never eat McDonald's too?

[/quote]

I'm not sure. It's becoming a blur.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options

This thread. I assume that post was removed before they unlocked this again.

Jeeze guys. If you can't keep track of this stuff, you'll never be functional alcoholics.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

...in*...

couldnt tell
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

This thread. I assume that post was removed before they unlocked this again.

Jeeze guys. If you can't keep track of this stuff, you'll never be functional alcoholics.
    Ah, yes, it was this one... Can't believe it was only yesterday... Or the day before.... Or whatever. :laugh:
  • MonaRaeHill
    MonaRaeHill Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    There's a reason why raw foodists call the Standard American Diet, SAD. American food does suck, but what sucks more, is the amount of food pushers and judgmental *kitten*-holes, out there. For someone like me, who is already an emotional eater, with a brain that never manufactures enough dopamine, it's a double edged sword. (Take away lots of stuff from me, but if you take my chocolate, you die). And, of course, the amount of judgmental arses, too. The whole american culture is sorta' despicable. If you are old, you are invisible. If you are overweight, you are invisible. If you are overweight and old..........well, you get the picture, I am sure. Peeps just have to remember........."there but for the grace of god, go I', be less judgmental, (we all got our challenges........peeps who judge obviously have theirs), and be more civil and kind, (old folks were young, once, just like me/you/and whoever else is under 30, on this site). Enuf' said?