Not Hating, Why Do Women Struggle With The Gym?

Options

Replies

• Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I am NOT hating. Just asking because this really interests me. IMO it's because they think it's all about running and loosing weight, and it's tied even deeper to their self-image than with men. Not to mention that women are not encouraged to be physically strong/able like men are.

I know many, many women like the gym, but I'm making a general statement here.

Discuss.

QFT. I get asked or "talked to" every day about my decision to build muscle. Both men and women ask me why I don't want to just "use light weights and tone my muscles", they tell me I am eating too much, I'm not doing enough, I'm not losing enough weight, or that I should just be happy with the way I am.

I'm going to lift heavy.
    I'm going to lose fat.
    Anyone who tries to stop me will fail.

Awesome attitude...

...and I suspect that the frequency with which you're challenged about it gives you a lot of opportunity to practice telling people to bugger off. Maybe that's what some of the people in this thread need to do...start practicing some assertiveness (or at least realize that 99.44% of the time, other people really aren't *that* invested in what you are or aren't doing).

Agreed - perfect your smile and nod face.

If you don't like/know them and don't care practice this

jennifer-lawrence-10.gif

I used it on a guy at the gym who suggested squatting in the smiths machine. :noway:

Ah! See, I've been doing it wrong. I'm more like a combo of these two:

smokey-shoo.gif

tumblr_inline_msm8xoKhmk1qz4rgp.gif

:D:D

I think they are perfectly acceptable and may add them to my repertoire :drinker:
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    I am NOT hating. Just asking because this really interests me. IMO it's because they think it's all about running and loosing weight, and it's tied even deeper to their self-image than with men. Not to mention that women are not encouraged to be physically strong/able like men are.

Discuss.

QFT. I get asked or "talked to" every day about my decision to build muscle. Both men and women ask me why I don't want to just "use light weights and tone my muscles", they tell me I am eating too much, I'm not doing enough, I'm not losing enough weight, or that I should just be happy with the way I am.

I'm going to lift heavy.
    I'm going to lose fat.

Awesome attitude...

...and I suspect that the frequency with which you're challenged about it gives you a lot of opportunity to practice telling people to bugger off. Maybe that's what some of the people in this thread need to do...start practicing some assertiveness (or at least realize that 99.44% of the time, other people really aren't *that* invested in what you are or aren't doing).

I think the stats might be different for women ;) Seeing a guy in the freeweights section isn't as much of a curiosity or chance for a lech as it is when the lifter is female. And I do have a feeling that some guys like to intimidate the women into hurrying up/going away more than they do the men, because they feel like it's easier to intimidate a woman (and it usually is). Unsolicited advice may happen as often for men, I think, because fitness people like to give advice. But that inevitability might even be higher for a woman, because it is more assumed (by macho guys) that a woman doesn't know what she's doing.

As far as getting fit doubling as assertiveness training, it's probably true that it needs to be that when going to a gym. But not everyone is interested in or needs assertiveness training. Folks want to get fit. It would be nice if they could just get fit the way they enjoy, I think.

I probably do need assertiveness training that makes my natural response less confrontational. I either get involved in more drama than I'm in the mood for, or I just try to ignore the person, which gets old when they keep pushing. Or is saying 'Go away. You're being a d*ck' accepted protocol, lol? :D

Ummmm, I'm guilty of intimidating a guy out of the cage just this week. In my defense, my gym only has one and he was doing curls in it (light ones at that), and as part of a circuit no less! So, yeah.
  • starla5881
    starla5881 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    For me it's because it's embarrassing and I have severe social anxiety. I go to the grocery store in the wee hours of the morning and won't step foot in a restaurant alone. I have been a complete panic-stricken mess the few times I've been to the gym and don't find the environment conducive to comfortably exercising. :frown:
    I feel you, because this was me for a very long time. But I'll tell you, it gets easier the more you do it. Social interaction in general and the gym in particular. There is no way around but through.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Ummmm, I'm guilty of intimidating a guy out of the cage just this week. In my defense, my gym only has one and he was doing curls in it (light ones at that), and as part of a circuit no less! So, yeah.

totally guilty of same thing and acceptable time to give someone the stink eye.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I don't like the gym because it smells funny, I don't like being sweaty, I don't like being around sweaty people and most importantly, I hate guys checking me out. I stick to the group classes at the gym.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options

totally guilty of same thing and acceptable time to give someone the stink eye.

Yeah. I'm done that on more than one occasion. I asked a young man to move because he was doing BB rows. He was confused until I showed him how to do them off the floor.

I was very intimidated when I first joined a gym years ago. The more you learn, the less intimidated you become.
  • goodnamegone
    Options

Discuss.

LOSING weight you mean right? I don't think women struggle with the gym. I don't think it's all about running, but maybe I have a different approach than men? I'm not sure. For me going to the gym is also about having some quality time for myself. I love to do some weights, some cardio, a lot of stretching and planks. I use that time to work my body and feel physically better. I'm wanting to be more flexible that's my goal. Thanks for the post it made me think more about why I go and if there are other ways I can get something from being there.
  • Kennesaw24
    Kennesaw24 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    For me, it is because I am unsure of what to do and I feel intimidated. ... Prior to working with the trainer I would do the treadmill or elliptical because that is what I knew how to do. It was easier to do what I knew than to be embarrassed for doing the weights incorrectly and being laughed at.

I find this answer to be the most common. I would say the majority of girls never do "weight-lifting" in school so don't have any amt of comfort level with free weights. 25 years ago I somehow found out about Rachel McLish and I bought her book and taught myself what to do at the gym because I wanted to look like her. Lifting weights transformed my body then, and 25 years later it's still the best exercise I've ever done. But I go to the gym with a plan, I do my workout, I don't talk to guys -- usually don't even make eye contact. I'm not unfriendly, it's just that I am not there for the social aspect, and when that happens, it can really throw a girl/woman off because she suddenly feels self-conscious and not "into" her workout.

When I say I go with a plan, I have all my exercises in my phone with most reps/sets/weights planned out and I stay focused. A lot of times I've looked up how to do exercises from my favorite online coaches, YouTube videos, etc. It takes time to plan a good workout. A lot of women don't realize this and feel lost at the gym.

Getting on a treadmill, bike, elliptical is pretty easy, right? Learning what to do with weights and all that takes more effort.

I do have to say my pet peeve with trainers is that sometimes I see them doing stuff with women they will NEVER come into the gym and do on their own, alone. I think trainers could do such a service to women by teaching them the basics and letting them know there's a lot of information out there to learn from.

Maybe that kind of initiative doesn't happen until they start seeing some results first, after about six weeks.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    It's cause I'm waiting for prince charming to come and save me in the free weight area, but all these dudebros and fitchicks are walking in front of me, ruining my damsel in distress plank pose.

It's a struggle man.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    It's cause I'm waiting for prince charming to come and save me in the free weight, but all these dudebros and fitchicks are walking in front of me, ruining my damsel in distress plank pose.

It's a struggle man.
    it's a war.
  • toseeme
    toseeme Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    The machines that I want to use ( inner and outer thigh or the leg press) are always sitting in a location that makes me uncomfortable to use them. And, not to blame, but some guys can really make you feel uncomfortable. But I try my best to ignore and keep on.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    I'm going to lift heavy.
    I'm going to lose fat.
    335707206_700.gif
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I'm sure this has been said over and over, but women are brainwashed to care only about aesthetics, that weights are bad and that we need to do endless slow-state cardio. It's soul destroying!

Not to mention that dudes are often (sorry I love you guys) arrogant and entitled when it comes to mainstream globe-gyms. It's tough enough to walk into the free weight section, let alone when dudes almost half your age treat you like a weak moron.

e.g. both my trainer and I had cause to train in maintstream gyms in the last few weeks. I am a tallish currently overweight chick, no-one spoke to me but boy did they use any excuse to walk close, check out what I was lifting, talk and look obviously about/at me. She is small sub-115lb powerlifter who has represented Australia at worlds (knows her stuff), she actually had dudes (multiple dudes) come and critique her form, ask if she needed assistance. Seriously WTF, if you see a 115lb girl squatting 240+ she probably knows more than you.
  • KarlaH9801
    KarlaH9801 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Don't like it, don't look. Period. I'm 229lbs. Deal with it. :-p
  • losing4799
    Options

Discuss.

Define 'struggle'. "General statement" :huh: I don't like gym because people try and talk to me, thinking they are being nice or helpful, disrupting my workout. I should mention my gym is on campus at uni so... lol... I obviously get hormonal male peers as the gym attendees *makes gun gesture with hand and shoots self in head* :explode:
  • Ithina1
    Ithina1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I used to be scared of the gym. Most of the machines were so foreign to me, and I didn't like the stares I got from people. Looking back, most of that was all in my head. I was just nervous in an environment I felt I didn't belong. I wasn't ready to lose weight and get in shape back then.

When I was finally ready to focus on losing weight, I went to the gym for me. I decided I didn't care who stared at me--I was there for me and they could do whatever. Turns out not many people stare. A few do, but it's not the evil eyes I envisioned. I have run into a couple evil eyes, but if you glare right back at them you'll eventually win the staring contest and they'll back down, lol. The free weights are intimidating. At first I just wanted to do the machines, but I eventually realized free weights were more fun and natural feeling.

A lot of girls never get to the point of not caring what other people think of them. Many also have no idea what getting toned actually requires.
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    A lot of girls never get to the point of not caring what other people think of them. Many also have no idea what getting toned actually requires.

I agree with the above. I am one of very few females that use the weights section at my gym. I have been using it for almost a year now and feel I am now "one of the regulars/guys" which certainly helps with my comfort level. I am a reformed cardio bunny - thank god!

I do occasionally still struggle with not looking around to see if I am being watched while I work out. I am still a bit insecure when doing things I don't feel strong/comfortable doing. BUT I also enjoy the looks on other people's faces when I am working my shoulders, biceps, triceps, traps, etc. Maybe I am an attention-*kitten* :tongue: :drinker:
  • faithbabe21
    faithbabe21 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    For me personally it can be a struggle to go. I'm in college and so gym access is included but I kid you not if I had the extra money I would pay to go to a different one because college gyms just make me feel insecure. When I get on my elliptical and start going I look around at everyone else and I look for someone who looks like me, and I never see anyone who does. They all look so fit and happy and none of their faces are red like mine are and it's hard. I once heard a conversation between two women where the one like "I hate the beginning of the breaks all the fat people get in the way of us using our machines and you know their just gonna give up in two week." I was appalled and ok I kind of wanted to punch her but that's besides the point. So yeah that's why I don't like the gym, but I go and will continue going!
  • JaymeBalesFitness
    JaymeBalesFitness Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I use to struggle because I had a low self-image and all those fit and sexy people were intimidating. But once I started picking up that iron I felt too badass to let that bother me!
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I used to HATE the gym....for many of the reasons already posted in reply. But now, it's the best way for me to get my exercise in. I go in, usually with a plan, stick to the plan, ignore almost everyone (and I do try to ignore the mirrors because I do not need to see what I look like while I'm working out LOL.) When I leave, I'm usually slightly elated, because I accomplished something for myself first thing in the morning. I wouldn't say I LOVE the gym - yet, but it's become such a big part of my routine that I have learned to like it.