Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    holy lat's batman!
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options

Abs. Abs are used to help stabalize your core on most lifts, but they act to keep things stable, they are not truely movers.

Stabilizing is what the abs are meant to do. Try an exercise called Front Squat Holds. Basically just load a bar heavy, unrack in a Front Squat and just hold it while standing upright. Your abs will be more sore than any other exercise. It's worked immensely when you're under the bar during Squats.

I love these. They can be very crushing.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    So, great video here about the front squat... I mean I guess... I really couldn't hear anything... :love: :drinker:

http://youtu.be/d0Rqz7wptJo

untitled_zps6aa98438.jpg
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    They're the Big Four, not the Big Everything.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    And it shows too.

why spank you- spank you very much ;)

OMG Jo, you are going to side track this thread, or at least side-track me. LOL
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    In for the education.

Or confusion. Every time I look up strength programs it's overwhelming. So I keep it simple with push ups and assisted pull ups. Maybe one day I'll get motivated to do more..

What JoRoca said. Just look up Stronglifts 5x5 and get started, seriously, that's all you have to do. The program is SO simple, and it has you doing more than enough with the absolute basics. It even has rows which works out nearly all the muscles in that we have talked about in this topic (just realized that, wow :). 0% controversy or fluff.

Once you've done it a bit, you'll be much more comfortable with all this, and just ask any questions you like on the forums about specifics.

It's kinda like running. All you need is a pair of shoes, some time, and some carbs lol Anything more you do from there is fluff and not worth the attention of anyone who's just beginning.

Yeah - that was what I did. I used a beginners program and just followed that. As time progresses, and I get comfortable with those lifts, I can start to think about adding more, or transitioning to an intermediates program (not ready for that yet!).
  • FrnkLft
    Options
    And it shows too.

why spank you- spank you very much ;)

OMG Jo, you are going to side track this thread, or at least side-track me. LOL

It's already over as far as I'm concerned. Another thread successfully ruined by thinking too hard about women & squats...
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    In for the education.

Or confusion. Every time I look up strength programs it's overwhelming. So I keep it simple with push ups and assisted pull ups. Maybe one day I'll get motivated to do more..

What JoRoca said. Just look up Stronglifts 5x5 and get started, seriously, that's all you have to do. The program is SO simple, and it has you doing more than enough with the absolute basics. It even has rows which works out nearly all the muscles in that we have talked about in this topic (just realized that, wow :). 0% controversy or fluff.

Once you've done it a bit, you'll be much more comfortable with all this, and just ask any questions you like on the forums about specifics.

It's kinda like running. All you need is a pair of shoes, some time, and some carbs lol Anything more you do from there is fluff and not worth the attention of anyone who's just beginning.

Yeah - that was what I did. I used a beginners program and just followed that. As time progresses, and I get comfortable with those lifts, I can start to think about adding more, or transitioning to an intermediates program (not ready for that yet!).

Cant really go wrong with SL5x5 but there are other programs out there that add in what it is missing even for the true beginner.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    In for the education.

Sounds like you're on the right track. Get comfortable with the basics first, then add in other work as needed.
  • mikemc620
    mikemc620 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Lot of talk about glutes... It's is probably more useful to look at the posterior chain as a whole rather than in parts, so hamstrings, glutes, and lower back. The squat and deadlift definitely hit those areas and in the short-term that might be enough. But mid to long-term, it's not enough and posterior chain work needs to be included to continue progressing. Back Raises (roman chair or on a back raise "bench"), straight-leg deadlifts, and even hip bridges are all fine exercises. Good Mornngs are good but I'm not sure the risk is worth the reward in some cases. I know with my back problems I can no longer tolerate them.

Do you guys know how you would be able to do back raises without equipment designed to do them, or is that exactly what a good morning is for? I hope that there is actually another way because my back does not like me doing good mornings.
  • FrnkLft
    Options
    Lot of talk about glutes... It's is probably more useful to look at the posterior chain as a whole rather than in parts, so hamstrings, glutes, and lower back. The squat and deadlift definitely hit those areas and in the short-term that might be enough. But mid to long-term, it's not enough and posterior chain work needs to be included to continue progressing. Back Raises (roman chair or on a back raise "bench"), straight-leg deadlifts, and even hip bridges are all fine exercises. Good Mornngs are good but I'm not sure the risk is worth the reward in some cases. I know with my back problems I can no longer tolerate them.

Do you guys know how you would be able to do back raises without equipment designed to do them, or is that exactly what a good morning is for? I hope that there is actually another way because my back does not like me doing good mornings.

Yes, but it requires two adjustable benches, duct tape and some scissors.
  • mikemc620
    mikemc620 Posts: 129 Member
    Options

Yes, but it requires two adjustable benches, duct tape and some scissors.

I guess that I am just going to continue with the DL and the occasional SLDL until I can't lift any more then worry about it.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    super mans?

Bird dogs.

and yes- any lifting thread can be derailed by a woman and her glutes. I'm strangely comfortable with it- regardless of if they are my glutes or not ;) wink wink nudge nudge.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

Lat pulldown machine and a moveable flat bench. Put your legs on the bench and feet under the lat pulldown support. It's actually closer to a glute ham raise which is actually very good too.
  • peachcats
    Options
    OHP is a big 4?
    I'd put pullups or dips in there way before OHP, they're right up there next to deads and squats.
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    bump to read for later!
  • FrnkLft
    Options

Lat pulldown machine and a moveable flat bench. Put your legs on the bench and feet under the lat pulldown support. It's actually closer to a glute ham raise which is actually very good too.

Brilliant.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    OHP is a big 4?
    I'd put pullups or dips in there way before OHP, they're right up there next to deads and squats.

I think you could trade the deadlifts for the bent over barbell row (BLASPHEMY!!!! I know.) and hit almost everything with 4 main lifts.
  • JoRocka
    Options

I just shove my knees on the bench as is. I dont' bother dragging a bench- it would be too much work.

I've used a stepper thing and a rubber mat and shoved them under the stair plate form things for the Assisted pull up machine- works okay- the lat pull down knee pads work moare better though.

OHP is a big 4?

yes- it is.

And I'm a HUGE fan of pull ups- it's pushing the boarders of compound- but technically it isn't a compound.

But you'll never catch me NOT doing them in a work out. :D
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    OHP is a big 4?

I think you could trade the deadlifts for the bent over barbell row (BLASPHEMY!!!! I know.) and hit almost everything with 4 main lifts.

Except, you know, the lower back.