did you ditch your clothes after losing the weight?

Options

Replies

• stacysum
    Options
    GONE! I had my no turning back moment. It feels weird but awesome. :)

Can def relate to this feeling! I'm working on donating all of my big clothes!
  • LoudmouthLee
    Options
    I started at a 3XL and a size 48-50 pant. I am now a Medium and a size 32 pant. The people at the salvation army know me by name.

I kept one pair of shorts and one shirt. Not for in-case purposes... but to remember were I was.
  • Charisblossom
    Charisblossom Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    im glad I didn't ditch my old clothes because I put all the weight back on and have had to start again...
  • shrinkingbrian
    shrinkingbrian Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I donated two big trash bags full of clothes a few months ago after 200+ pounds. It was very emotional for me. I had been keeping on to my fat clothes but getting rid of them was so liberating. I am a new person now and I commit myself daily to never go back to being 400+ pounds. I'm currently at a size 38 waist jeans but even those are getting loose. I'm now wearing a size "large" t-shirt after wearing a size 4XL or even 5XL t-shirt. My suit jacket size is now 42 long after being 62 long. I estimated the amount for the donation and will add those to my Schedule A on my taxes on line 17 for Gifts other than check/cash.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I will be ditching all of my current clothes, most of my issue is that half my closet is my skinny girl clothes and up until I got serious, I was in denial that they would fit perfect again without working at it.
  • SwtPzYaya
    SwtPzYaya Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Ditch them!!!!... they are like a security blanket that you have out grown...Keep a pair of jeans, just for motivation to see how far you have come. Once you start, there is no turning back...Shopping is fun:love:
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I ditched them, i got down to my desired weight there in June and had a holiday booked for July so decided to do a wardrobe clean out and it felt so good just trying on clothes and seeing the difference, yea some of my old items were good clothes, things i loved but i just had to let them to go...it felt right. :) I guess holding on to something can be good so you can always see how far you've come but from looking at old pics I won't forget and i was just so glad to be rid of them, it was a real 'you've done this' moment for me! :D.
  • capperboy
    capperboy Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I ditched them all. I tried to have the better articles of clothing altered but was advised that they could only take them down one size so off to the charity shop with some very expensive business wear.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options

The saddest part was donating my nearly new Victoria's Secret bras, because my bra size went from 38DD to 36 C/D. I had some really gorgeous fancy ones I had hardly worn.
    I'm hopeful that some lucky lady has them now and is enjoying them!!

gaaah I wish I was the lucky lady! My bras are all 40DD right now and getting way too big around, I think I need 38DD
  • BajaDreamin333
    BajaDreamin333 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Oh this was a hard one for me, especially as the season changed and I brought out all last winter's clothes.

I am currently a size 8/10 and most of my clothes are 12/14/16. None of them were going to look good, most fell off, so wearing them wasn't even possible. So I splurged and bought new winter clothes. Winter sweaters and blazers and skirts are not cheap - you can get away with less expensive clothes in the summer. So it was an investment. I decided these things: 1) I've been solid at this size for 4-5 months. My habits are set, and I love the new me. 2) Hanging on to "fat" clothes was giving me permission to slip. the fear of not having anything decent to wear to work is enough to make me get a grip on my habits if I start to spiral. 3) If I do get to be a size 12 or larger again, I'm going to make sure it hurts me. Financially, emotionally, all of it. I am a clothes horse! I had A LOT of really beautiful clothes that I have collected over the years. It was a bit like parting with my kids. I kept a few items which I will have altered, but everthing else was tossed. I gave my professional clothes to a "shopping closet" for women in need trying to re-enter the work force, so I know my beautiful wardrobe will be appreciated. I gave some things to friends and sold some at a consighment shop. Now that I wear a smaller size, I'm a lot more picky in my selections. It used to be if it fit me, I bought it. Not so now! It better look fabulous and I better love it. So I've ended up with a wardrobe I love, and it gives me great pleasure to see all of the new, smaller sized clothing lined up in my closet. I'm sad for sure - but I'm really happy that there is no baggage, real or otherwise, getting in my way of maintaining this size. And maybe even being able to buy a size 6 soon ;)
  • Nancy_AZ60
    Nancy_AZ60 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately at this moment I can't afford new clothes so I'm still wearing 2XL shirts when I should be wearing L/XL. The pants I had to get rid of- even with the belt they kept falling down. True story- I was walking up the stairs at my college and my hands were full and my pants literally fell off of me. Like, I stepped right out of them even with shoes on. There was someone behind me...

My daughter was going to Good Will to get her clothes while losing weight, I had always been a good will snob (sorry but that is honest) so she made me go with her, I found some SUPER nice clothes and everything is 1/2 off on Saturdays.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    I saved one old t-shirt, and one pair of jeans. So, when I start feeling bad about how much I still have to go, I can put them on and see how far I have come.
  • sugah11
    sugah11 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    This time around I got rid of them all! No turning back. Staying in a 2 to 3lb range. Good luck - lifting is great for muscle tone and loosing some extra inches. :smile:
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    No. If I ever wake up and find my house is somehow falling from 20,000 feet, I'll use my fat pants as a parachute when the ole' money pit drops through 3,500 feet and I bail out!
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Every time I see this post I think "Yep, I ditch them every chance I get, cause now I like how I look without them!" :drinker:
  • bubaluboo
    bubaluboo Posts: 2,098 Member
    Options
    I'm ditching as I go this time. It's a little odd that I'm now ditching the 'slim' clothes that I previously kept when I gained the weight (pregnancy followed by poor diet). After I spent so long thinking that I'd never wear them again, they only fitted me for a few months but for all the right reasons!
  • brraanndi
    brraanndi Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I've lost enough weight that I think I need some new clothes, I probably won't hold on to anything this time unless I think I can make it work being all billowy.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I donated two big trash bags full of clothes a few months ago after 200+ pounds. It was very emotional for me. I had been keeping on to my fat clothes but getting rid of them was so liberating. I am a new person now and I commit myself daily to never go back to being 400+ pounds. I'm currently at a size 38 waist jeans but even those are getting loose. I'm now wearing a size "large" t-shirt after wearing a size 4XL or even 5XL t-shirt. My suit jacket size is now 42 long after being 62 long. I estimated the amount for the donation and will add those to my Schedule A on my taxes on line 17 for Gifts other than check/cash.

Awesome progress!!!! When my husband (now 32 and 225 lb) was in high school he was around 400 lb as well. The last time he was weighed in a doctor's office back then he was 380 and he got larger after that. He's kept it off for 14 years and I am sure you will as well!!! Cheers.
  • darryldhorn
    Options
    I just recently ditched the old clothes, having gone down from wearing XXL and 38" trousers to M/L and 32/34. I think it will be one of the things that keep me going thinking that I never want to go back to wearing those sizes, along with having 2 small boys and needing to be fitter to keep up with them! :)
  • CharlzO
    CharlzO Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost THAT much where I haven't been able to just buy a belt for most of it. But other ones, I have a friend who has a consignment store, so donated to that instead. I'm sure some people might have it in the back of their head "well if something happens and I gain, I'll still have clothes"... why would I want THAT in my head? Screw that. I want my waist from HS back. (almost there. Another inch or two and I'm set).