Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• michelleborman50
    michelleborman50 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Saturday- Success Update.

I'm new here so hopefully I'm doing this the right way.

I've been race walking for 16 days straight doing 6kms a day. Yesterday I was able to jog part of it without being winded.
    wow...that is amazing!
  • susan2396
    susan2396 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Saturday Success: It's been a good week overall. The scale FINALLY started to move again. October's loss was 4lbs. Since August 5th I'm down 25 lbs so I'm happy with that. I worked out 5 days out of 7. I stayed under calories each day and made decent food choices for the most part. I just need to get more sleep. I'm trying to get a little rest this weekend since last week was so packed. I had to man the Capriotti's table at the UNLV Football Game earlier, but the rest of the weekend is hopefully quiet.

@ Rita - Welcome! Nice job on the race walking, but how far is 6 km? You'll continue to get stronger and stronger that's for sure.

@ Michelle - Thank you for sharing. I know confessions/truth can be a little tough to share. I have another friend who had a very similar upbringing and she learned so much about herself when it relates to food. It's not just as simple as eating less and moving more, but the mental side of this journey is so big. Good for you for learning this lesson. Now the 4 pieces of pizza? It's over with and don't do it again any time soon!!!! I'm with you though. In the past, I would have let that derail me and just kept eating like a whole bag of Oreo's. Not any more. We log it, learn from it and move on.

@Tlh - Just a few more weeks and little break for you. Your weekend is nuts!!!

@ Kaye - I always chuckle at those daily read outs. I don't think they've ever been right for me. I would LOVE to see that number in 5 weeks, but it just doesn't seem to happen. I know what you mean about the plateau, but its people like Karen who I'm learning so much from because there's so many of us that will be in her shoes very soon. We'll hit those plateaus, but so important to just keep doing what you're doing. In the past, I would have just given up, but I rely on so many of our wonderful friends here to push me through. I think I help them just a little too. You've got this!!!

@ Karen - Good luck grading today. I think my brain would be mush with the amount of reading/grading you do on regular basis. Hopefully, you'll find a "little" time to relax especially after your marathon of cleaning. I had to chuckle about Gunnar being a little stinker. 4 legged or 2 legged it doesn't matter. They all push our buttons at some point.
  • naceto
    naceto Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the great advice on getting back into the groove... and ways to work in the exercise and proper food choices.

Kelley- GREAT advice! Thank you. You know, I'm pretty sure Jim Beam has SOME nutritional value... a few shots here and there (for medicinal purposes) is not terrible. Now if you start carrying a flask to work or making it your go to source of calories, then we should worry. :wink: I actually took your note with suggestions and saved it as a document on my computer. It made me think more about planning my days, weeks, etc.

Karen- Thanks. You motivate me, just by being here. A lot of folks do. Every time I read your statistics for the day or week, I am inspired. You will start dropping pounds again, when you are ready. I am confident in this. You should post pictures of Gunner's new "do". :smile: My Buddy dog is always happier fresh out of the groomer's talented hands.
    Side note: Is it odd that I always double check my grammar and punctuation, when posting to you? (edited to add- My mom says I'm "comma abusive" haha).

Nettie- Proper mindset is everything, isn't it? It is so true- I need to remember that I have been here before and gotten out of the slump. Thank you. You are going to love your Fitbit! On the days when I forget to wear it, I am always cursing myself for the steps that won't get counted. It really does motivate me a bit more. :happy:

Susan- LOVE your "No Excuses Quote of the Day! "Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it." - Maya Angelou" Maya Angelou is brilliant!

Today- I am making quinoa chicken chili in the crockpot. (modified a recipe from http://sweettreatsmore.com/2012/10/slow-cooker-quinoa-chicken-chili/) I am going to freeze it into individual servings to have throughout the week for lunch. I am considering what other crockpot tasty goodness I should make, since I don't want to get sick of the chili. Does anyone have any EASY, healthy crockpot recipes they want to share? Also, any ideas for containers to freeze these nummy meals in would be welcome. I am new to this whole "planning" thing.

Saturday success: I'm here. I'm logging. I'm looking for ways to be a better version of me.
  • aimeemarie150
    aimeemarie150 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Saturday Success:

I hit 51 pounds today. I'm so happy that I'm actually in the 250s. I'm about halfway to my first huge goal. :) 51 pounds down since August 15, I'm so okay with that.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @alupinsk--congrats on passing that half-century mark!! You are dropping the weight at a wonderful rate!

@nicole--I think it's funny you proofread for me, but no worries. I don't really care about perfection if it's not a formal document. It drives me crazy if I see a typo in a published work or the essays my students turn in as "final" drafts. However, I realize not all writing is about grammar and punctuation. When my students write journals, I don't grade for mechanics, and when my friends post on the internet, I don't care either. :wink: As far as containers, I don't really freeze much because I'm going to be eating the food within a few days of preparation. I have a set of mugs with rubber lids that I like for storing, transporting, and re-heating soups and chili. I'm not sure if they can go in the freezer. This is the set I have: http://www.worldkitchen.com/corningware-on-the-go/1035985.html#start=1

@susan--sometimes it gets to be a lot and I have to take a break. For instance, tomorrow I plan to grade for a few hours in the morning and then take a break to go work out before finishing the grading in the afternoon. I've done that in the past, and the exercise "break" really does help me get refocused. Congrats on getting that scale moving again!! :drinker: Yes, gunner was quite the stinker this morning. Fortunately, he was good at the salon. Oh, and 6k is about 3.75 miles.

@rita--welcome! :flowerforyou:

@michelle--thanks for sharing your story--as susan said, it's a great reminder to us all about how much our pasts affect our relationship with food. Ditto everything susan said about moving past it--sounds like you've got this! :smile:

@tracy--sounds like a busy weekend! Enjoy the party tonight!

@kaye--strictly speaking, I wouldn't call my lack of weight loss a plateau. In my mind, if you are doing everything right (meaning staying consistently in a calorie deficit) and still don't lose weight, that is a plateau. I think my situation is more a struggle to find the right allowance that equals a calorie deficit but still accounts for all of the exercise I do. I'm toying with the idea of lowering my calories back to 1550 to see what happens--I'm thinking it might help me avoid some of the empty calories that are sure to enter the office over the holiday season.

@tammy--I agree that there's a lot of illness going around. I've already had students out with mono and pneumonia, not to mention all of the lesser viruses. I'm finally over whatever I had last weekend, but Friday my student teacher was all sniffly and sneezy.

Saturday Success:
    Well, I had a fairly productive day even if it wasn't all about the grading. After dropping gunner, I cleaned--did all of the floors, some dusting, laundry, and dishes. The only thing I skipped today was the bathroom (like tammy, I hate that job). Gunner wasn't done until after 2 and I was scheduled to meet garetie at 5, so I went to a starbucks near the shopping center where we were meeting and graded for about an hour and a half. Didn't get through as much as I'd have liked, but better than nothing. Tonight I will try to get through 5 or 6 more.

Tomorrow as I mentioned to susan, I will grade, work out, and then grade some more. It will be nice to get these essays off of my plate.

1. 42/73 AP essays
    2. x/55 Junior in-class essays (student teacher will do these)

Exercise goals:
    Mon-walk gunner DONE
    Tues--walk gunner DONE + gym (lift and HIIT) DONE
    Wed--walk gunner DONE + gym (lift and HIIT) NOT DONE
    Thurs--walk gunner DONE
    Fri--walk gunner NOT DONE but... gym (lift and cardio) DONE
    Sat--walk gunner NOT DONE
    Sun--walk gunner + gym (5k)

Exercise & Weight:
    Bench press = 65
    Dead lift = 65
    Squat = 70
    Overhead press = 50

Upright row = 40 (kettle bell)
    Overhead tricep extension = 25 (dumbbell)
    Bicep curl = 15 (dumbbell)
    Lat pull down = 100
    Tricep pull down = 90
  • naceto
    Options
    Oh Karen- I love Corningware everything AND the website says they work in the freezer! I think that is exactly what I need. Thanks :bigsmile:
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Kaye- 160 doughnuts that is impressive. That is wonderful about all the compliments from all the different people. It is funny that your sister didn’t recognize you from the back. That show a wonderful change has taken place.

Nicole- Have you tried preparing the healthy food on the weekends so that way it is ready to go on the weekdays either for lunch or dinner. Getting out of a funk- find something new that you want to do and just do it.

Gertie- Hi, glad to see you are still around on this thread.

Nettie- Yeah on 30 minutes and I hope the weather cooperates with you. I hope the weather holds here as well, since I want to go for bike ride tomorrow. Regarding the bike- funny story and I can remember getting off to a shaky start the first time I rode as well. Keep trying but pump the tires up, it will make a huge difference. I love my bike and can’t wait to go for another ride. I hope you get the staff trained, it is amazing how quickly the kids pick up the “change of expectations/rule” based on who is in the class.

Tlh- 65 pounds on the overhead press is a lot of weight. What weight did you start out lifting for the overhead press?

Marsha- Hope the cold is gone soon.

Michelle- Welcome to the group. Your comments about lack of food as a kid and eating all you can when it is available is a normal response for people who have been in your position. The hard part is re-training your brain to realize that just because it is there you don’t need to eat it. Try to pack healthy snacks, so you will still have the food but it will be better choices. Happy that you were able to stop at 4 pieces of pizza, that shows you can stop yourself.:bigsmile:

Susan- 300 second on planks- wow!! I can handle about 90 seconds. Maybe I should try that for a goal this month. We have an on-line grades website. I am not sure how often it sends updates to parents. Our problem is that not all of our parents have email or internet access, they don’t bother to go to the library to use those computers.

Destiny- Great job on the weight loss. Setting up a plan is really up to you. Key is to mix your exercises so you are not overworking anyone muscle group two days in a row. If you do upper body on weight on Monday then you can do it again on Wednesday, lower body on Tuesday and Thursday etc. You can add cardio in as well. Just try different routines to see what works for you and don’t forget to add a few rest days. How old are your kids? You can also go bike riding with them if they are old enough.

I had a great climb last night and it was challenging but fun. My arms and legs had a great workout. Today, was a pool day with water aerobics and swimming. It felt good to swim and work on strength at the same time. Tomorrow, I hope to go for a bike ride if the weather permits. It was raining tonight so that could impact the trail conditions, praying they will dry overnight and it will be warm enough to ride.

Has anyone heard from Shrinkwrap?
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    Hiya - hanging in there!

Hello Newbies - welcome!
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Saturday successes

Sunday-Rest day DONE
    Monday- Trainer workout high cardio DONE
    Tuesday- Rest or gym REST DONE
    Wednesday- Gym or swim NOT DONE-worked late
    Thursday-rest NOT DONE GYM INSTEAD :bigsmile:
    Friday- Climbing DONE
    Saturday- Water aerobics and swim DONE

I am starting to turn my focus to a 5K run that I am thinking of running. So the next couple of weeks, I will be adding in long runs with a couple of shorter runs.

Sunday- Bike or gym maybe both depending on time. Will run if I go to the gym 1 mile
    Monday- Trainer-weights and running drills
    Tuesday-Rest
    Wednesday- Log run 2 miles
    Thursday- Gym
    Friday- Climbing
    Saturday- water aerobics and swim
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @laurie--are you planning to do a turkey trot for Thanksgiving? I'm doing the same one I've done the past 2 years. A friend from work (who runs marathons and has done an ironman) asked if I would do the 10k with her this year, but I'm just not there. I'm sticking with the 5k--maybe 10 next year. I agree that tracy's 65 lbs OHP is impressive--I'm at 50 lbs and it's a struggle when I get to the 4th and 5th sets. I started with the empty bar which weighs 45 lbs. & it took a month to work up to 50 lbs.Crossing my fingers that your weather is good tomorrow so you can go for your bike ride. We've had yucky, drizzly coldness the past couple of days, so I'm using my superpowers to will it on a northern path so it misses your area. :wink:

@nicole--glad the corningware will work for your needs, :smile:

AFM--I got distracted by candy crush (working on level 240) :blushing: and now I'm going to bed. So I guess it's 31 papers tomorrow. :noway:
  • naceto
    Options

AFM--I got distracted by candy crush (working on level 240) :blushing: and now I'm going to bed. So I guess it's 31 papers tomorrow. :noway:

Level 266 for me... I don't know whether I'm bragging... or a bit ashamed LOL :laugh:
  • naceto
    Options
    Nicole- Have you tried preparing the healthy food on the weekends so that way it is ready to go on the weekdays either for lunch or dinner. Getting out of a funk- find something new that you want to do and just do it.

I had a great climb last night and it was challenging but fun. My arms and legs had a great workout. Today, was a pool day with water aerobics and swimming. It felt good to swim and work on strength at the same time. Tomorrow, I hope to go for a bike ride if the weather permits. It was raining tonight so that could impact the trail conditions, praying they will dry overnight and it will be warm enough to ride.

Has anyone heard from Shrinkwrap?

Thanks Laurie- I have started to do that this weekend. I borrowed my sister's crockpot (mine is a dinosaur), and I love it! It's so easy. I did the chicken quinoa chili today and tomorrow I am thinking a stew or healthy stroganoff... is there such a thing as a healthy stroganoff? My challenge has always been that I store in the container I cook in- so it goes bad fast, and isn't convenient for me. I am going to change that up and store it in single servings, which will allow me to grab and go. I LOVE your suggestion- try something new... I just have to find it. I get bored of things so quickly. You do a ton of different activities. Have you always been so diverse in your activities? Where did you start?

Shrinkwrapt hasn't been on in awhile... I haven't seen her around either
  • susan2396
    susan2396 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    @ Nicole - For years, I've made a WW Chicken Brunswick Stew. It makes a pretty big batch and I normally freeze half of it. I don't know if you've ever had it, but when I lived in the south it was a stable with BBQ. I like the WW's recipe because it try's to keep the sodium down. If you're interested, let me know and I'll shoot you the recipe. There's a bit of prep work, but it does make a pretty big batch. I use my weekends to prep for the upcoming week. It makes my crazy week days so much easier to manage and I make better food choices too. Great job logging and planning ahead!!

@ Karen & Nicole - In the 200's on Crush, I'm only 51 and the game drives me nuts! I just get stuck and when I see people at those higher levels I think I'm about to poke my eye out before I even come close. Step away!!! LOL!!!

@ Robin - Hope you're finally feeling better.
  • naceto
    Options
    Susan- I would LOVE that chicken recipe! Thanks bunches!

Looking at Bikram Yoga... which is done in 105 degrees... My trouble with the other (gentle Hatha) yoga was that it was the times and travel distance were not convenient, once I started working again. This place is about a mile and a half from my house... but it's different. I spoke with a friend who used to go there and loved it. She said she was at 255 pounds and in tons of pain when she started. She lost 45lbs and gained back her mobility and flexibility. She said it was the best place she ever went, and just can't go often anymore because she has skin issues... which get worse with the heat. ANOTHER friend says not to go... she said the heat makes it harder to breath and that most people throw up the first time. She also thinks that yoga practice should be different each time, and says that Bikram repeats the same poses every time.

I know I am all questions haha... but has anyone tried hot yoga or Bikram yoga?
  • Kookyk9s
    Kookyk9s Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Well the pink fitbit flex arrived on Friday and yesterday was the first day. Managed to get the syncing with MFP working - not really difficult if I stop worrying about it. Anyways yesterday I reached 8503 steps and I was shocked. Did not think that it was a very active day and was prepared for disappointment. So now to try to be more active and reach 10,000 steps. Always room for improvement.

Going to the IGGY reunion today. Have made 5 jammies (one more to go before I leave) so will take 6 with me. Also made 2 jammies for a Chinese crested boy in rescue privately with a friend of mine. Weight loss is very slow but at least it is still going in the right direction. Read on this sight of a person who lost 50 lbs in 100 days or 1/2 lb per day. Unbelievable. Have to stop comparing myself to others and fight my own fight. Will stop at the German deli on the way to the reunion to pock up stuff for a co-worker. Also will treat myself to sausage goulash for lunch Love it. Need to find a recipe for the crock pot and make it at home. This one has lots of veggies and they are always crisp and not soggy. Hate soggy veggies.

Went to the farmers market yesterday and bought a couple of spaghetti squash. Cheaper than the grocery store and much healthier looking also. So that will make 4 meals for this week and I am set as I am not working on Friday or Monday so long weekend to look forward to. Hurrah. Much easier to keep on track if I plan what I am going to eat in advance.

Wishing all a successful week.

Linda
  • michelleborman50
    michelleborman50 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Saturday Success:

I hit 51 pounds today. I'm so happy that I'm actually in the 250s. I'm about halfway to my first huge goal. :) 51 pounds down since August 15, I'm so okay with that.

51 one pounds since August is amazing! Congratulations!
  • aimeemarie150
    aimeemarie150 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    @Michelle Thank you :)

Has anyone here tried CrossFit? I feel like I'm not improving enough fitness wise (Muscles are getting bigger, but not necessarily feeling like I am stronger) Debating on this, but it looks like it's pretty steep as far as rates go!
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options

Level 266 for me... I don't know whether I'm bragging... or a bit ashamed LOL :laugh:

I am a Candy Crush person too. I am only at level 116 though and I am stuck. :grumble:
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Good Morning.

Sunday Share: Here is some random stuff about me. I am 40 and married to a wonderful man, Brian, for 5 years. We do not have any children at the moment but hope to change that. We do have a few fur and non-fur babies. We have 2 cats (Harvest Moon & Misti), a bird (Tyr) and a turtle (T-burger). I obviously love animals. I am a vegetarian and have been one since my mid 20's. I love to garden and cook. I also love nature and being outdoors. I am quite artistic and have been drawing since I was old enough to hold a crayon. I recently finished my masters in Infant/Toddler development and special education. I am a special education teacher and work 2 part-time jobs teaching children with autism. Christmas is my favorite holiday and I love to decorate for it

Skinny - What kind of dog is Gunner? Sorry to hear he/she was not very cooperative for you. My cats often run and hide when they see their carriers come out because they associate it with going to the vet. It becomes quite an ordeal. LOL For the record, I hate cleaning the bathrooms too. I am going to tackle cleaning the house today. I have to mop the floors and dust.

jtconst - That is great that you are breaking up your work out into smaller increments until you build up stamina. I am so proud of you!

Kay - I don't pay too much attention to what it tells me I will weigh in 5 weeks just because I know every day is different. I always wondered though how realistic that number is that they estimate for us. Personally, I am not putting any pressure on myself to be a certain weight by a certain time. I am more concerned with becoming healthier and eventually reaching my goal no matter how long it takes.

Michelle - I am sorry to hear that food was scarce when you were growing up. I am glad to hear that you stopped before reaching for that next slice of pizza and realized what you were doing. It is so easy to over eat when you are in social situations and the food is just so yummy. I am happy that you had a Saturday success and are moving forward. That is terrific!

RitaCarriere - Welcome. Congrats on 16 days of race walking. That's wonderful!

Susan - I am so happy for you that you are seeing the scale moving again. What a terrific feeling. 25 lbs is a excellent loss. Keep up the wonderful work.

naceto - I think the power of a healthy attitude makes a huge difference with so many things in life. I wore my fitbit all day yesterday and put on the sleep tracker last night. I synced my fitbit to my digifit app on my phone when my husband and I went for our walk. Digifit used the gps in my phone and did a satellite map view of our route. Both devices came in with the same estimated calories burned. I earned my first badge yesterday on fitbit. hehehe For some reason last night I was extra energetic. My husband turned on a movie last night. Normally I would sit and watch with him. 5 minutes in I became bored, got up and cleaned the kitchen then folded laundry and put it all away. I suppose I can count that as a NSV, I usually do not have that much energy in the evenings.

Alupinsk - Congrats on the 51 lb loss. That is a great accomplishment!!!

Laurie - The weather was gorgeous yesterday. My husband and I went for a 45 minute walk at the park. The park has a rec center and they offer fitness classes. (Zumba, yoga, and Koga) I was looking at their schedule to see if the classes would fit into my schedule. I think maybe in a few weeks I may sign up for some classes, depending on how my fitness goals are going. Today is a bit chilly out and cloudy but no rain. I want to get another walk in today but think I will stuff my pockets with tissues. LOL My husband and I were talking about the bike fiasco yesterday on our walk. He brought it up and asked what I thought the damage would have been if I fell like that in the street! <rolls eyes> I don't even want to think about that. I am going to hold off on bike riding for a bit. I would like to get my tush a little smaller first as the seat, even with a gel cushion, isn't comfortable for my size. I definitely will pump up those tires before I attempt to ride again though, I am sure that added to my problem. I hope I get my staff trained too. My students deserve good staff. Thankfully my boss is wonderful and is working with me on this issue.

Kookyk9s - My fitbit arrived Friday as well. I really used it for the first time yesterday too. What exactly does the sync with MFP do? I synced mine. It says it is synced but I really don't see it doing anything.
  • andreabeatty
    Options
    HI all - been a while since I've stopped in here, I think maybe 6-8 months. While I've still been using MFP the whole time I didn't feel okay coming in the forum. Not that anyone in here ever said or did anything to make me feel unwelcome or discouraged, on the contrary everyone in here is great. But on May 31 I had a sleeve done, and it didn't seem right that I should continue in here. I just popped in today to see how everyone is doing and I am so happy to see the same people with the same amazing attitudes, and so much success! I miss you all!!

It's been a good journey so far, I am losing about 1-2# /week, and am under 200# for the first time in about 12 years. I'm at a size 14/16 from a 20W and hoping to wind up in a 10 by the time this is all done. I am completely off diabetes medication, and my BMI is at 38 from 51. I feel great and can do so many things I couldn't, or didn't think I could do. I've been doing crossfit 3x a week, cardio 3 days, and am planning on joining a gym that's opening nearby that I actually plan to go to!

I'm glad to see so many people doing well and thanks for letting me stop and say hi. And thanks for always being the supportive and inclusive group that helped me make one of the hardest decisions I've ever had to face. I owe several of you more than you realize.

XOXO
    Andrea