1200cal/day really works.

Options

Replies

• mhoeff1
    mhoeff1 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 lbs in a week eating only one grape a day. It's called the grape diet you should check it out! Just one grape can change your life!
    If you have grapes sir then lets make wine! :) otherwise quit whining !!!!
  • supermuslimgirl
    supermuslimgirl Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    People are going to do what they want first of all. Second every body is different as long as she is not letting herself go hungry (at all) and is making sure everything is ok with her doctor then congrats! 1200 works for me. I also eat plenty of protein and low carb. :smile:

49481922.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • octogirlpretty
    Options
    I guess what I'm saying is that it is not an exact science & that the calculators should be used as a guide & not taken as the be all end all in fact. They give a good starting point but they may still need to be adjusted depending on the person.

I could kiss you. In a not creepy way.

My mom is over 60, 4'11 and has no cartilage in her knees. She can barely walk. Even at 40-50 years old, if I punch her data into most TDEE calculators her maintenance calories are close to 1400. People around 5 feet tall exist in the world. Their smaller bodies need less fuel than someone who is taller. The shorter you are, the less you need to eat. The more elderly you are, the less you need to eat. The more sedentary you are, the less you need to eat.

Some people are sedentary at any age because THEY ARE PHYSICALLY UNABLE TO DO EXERCISE. Not everyone on this journey is under 40 with a perfectly functioning body. Granted the OP is not disabled, but my mother is and if she came on these boards without explaining her situation, which she shouldn't have to on a weight loss support board, and got jumped on by you judgmental "gurus", I'd be livid for sending her here for support.

I'm a little taller than my mother. My sedentary TDEE (NOT my BMR, but my actual TDEE) is estimated by these non-concise online calculators to be around 1600 to maintain. I do not exercise daily, some days I am mostly sedentary. I don't even need to explain further than that to justify myself, neither did the OP. I don't need to answer questions about how active my theoretical child is so internet strangers who know nothing about me can pass judgment on whether my lifestyle is healthy. If I did choose to eat 1200 a day, you people seriously think a 300-400 calorie deficit on days I don't work out and sit on my *kitten* all day is going to make my hair fall out in 2 months? Have you people even seen what an actual starving person looks like and what they eat?

I think it's sad that someone IMMEDIATELY gets judged and scrutinized as soon as they drop the 1200 bomb. OP mentions she has twins, and you people immediately pick that apart and make assumptions based on ONE SENTENCE she typed about them about their activity level and how that relates to how much this random person you know nothing about should eat.

1200 a day is not healthy for everyone, but it is not going to kill everyone who eats that amount and is actually sensible and healthy for certain heights, ages, and activity levels. I like how there's mostly no concern or compassion in 10 pages of this BS, but just judgment, bickering, splitting hairs, and this self-righteous "Just wait... you'll fail eventually. Have fun starving to death and your hair falling out while my completely different body and lifestyle eats more than you do!" tone.

So now that I got my hangry rant off my chest, congrats on the loss OP! Hope you find a successful and healthy path that you can stick with and enjoy. It's a long journey and don't get discouraged by the various speed bumps you'll encounter along the way. :smile:

Thank you! Thank you, thank you, thank you! That kind of nasty bitterness makes people want to leave and never come back. I seldom make posts on here for fear of backlash, and that is just sad. Like OP, I've just started again early last month and just trying to figure things out. This process takes a while and the journey is of self discovery and learning. I believe that at this stage of the weight loss (the initial stage) extra sensitivity should be employed because of the learning curve. When others who have gone through their very own unique journey and maybe have even reached goal and are maintaining, they should be guiding and encouraging others. Otherwise all your doing is trolling. Shame on whomever felt the need to *attempt* to hurt and shame others on this post. That is not the heart not the intent of this program.
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I guess what I'm saying is that it is not an exact science & that the calculators should be used as a guide & not taken as the be all end all in fact. They give a good starting point but they may still need to be adjusted depending on the person.

I could kiss you. In a not creepy way.

My mom is over 60, 4'11 and has no cartilage in her knees. She can barely walk. Even at 40-50 years old, if I punch her data into most TDEE calculators her maintenance calories are close to 1400. People around 5 feet tall exist in the world. Their smaller bodies need less fuel than someone who is taller. The shorter you are, the less you need to eat. The more elderly you are, the less you need to eat. The more sedentary you are, the less you need to eat.

Some people are sedentary at any age because THEY ARE PHYSICALLY UNABLE TO DO EXERCISE. Not everyone on this journey is under 40 with a perfectly functioning body. Granted the OP is not disabled, but my mother is and if she came on these boards without explaining her situation, which she shouldn't have to on a weight loss support board, and got jumped on by you judgmental "gurus", I'd be livid for sending her here for support.

I'm a little taller than my mother. My sedentary TDEE (NOT my BMR, but my actual TDEE) is estimated by these non-concise online calculators to be around 1600 to maintain. I do not exercise daily, some days I am mostly sedentary. I don't even need to explain further than that to justify myself, neither did the OP. I don't need to answer questions about how active my theoretical child is so internet strangers who know nothing about me can pass judgment on whether my lifestyle is healthy. If I did choose to eat 1200 a day, you people seriously think a 300-400 calorie deficit on days I don't work out and sit on my *kitten* all day is going to make my hair fall out in 2 months? Have you people even seen what an actual starving person looks like and what they eat?

I think it's sad that someone IMMEDIATELY gets judged and scrutinized as soon as they drop the 1200 bomb. OP mentions she has twins, and you people immediately pick that apart and make assumptions based on ONE SENTENCE she typed about them about their activity level and how that relates to how much this random person you know nothing about should eat.

1200 a day is not healthy for everyone, but it is not going to kill everyone who eats that amount and is actually sensible and healthy for certain heights, ages, and activity levels. I like how there's mostly no concern or compassion in 10 pages of this BS, but just judgment, bickering, splitting hairs, and this self-righteous "Just wait... you'll fail eventually. Have fun starving to death and your hair falling out while my completely different body and lifestyle eats more than you do!" tone.

So now that I got my hangry rant off my chest, congrats on the loss OP! Hope you find a successful and healthy path that you can stick with and enjoy. It's a long journey and don't get discouraged by the various speed bumps you'll encounter along the way. :smile:

tumblr_m5ja4fweQj1qfb7bio1_400.jpg

The thread started with "try it, you'll like it!"

Not, "If you have a medical problem that makes you have a lower than normal BMR". There's a reason those calculators are called "averages." That means it will work for most people. That's why everyone is all excited, not that 1200 isn't right for everyone in the whole world. It is wrong for the VAST majority of healthy people if they want to not lose LBM and maintain their weight loss in a non-life crushing way.

So hey, if you want to keep doing that same thing over and over and continue to fail, have at it. Otherwise, maybe you should take advice from people who are and have succeeded? Madness, I know.
  • shscruggs82
    Options
    you don't have to eat 1200 to maintain, you eat lower to lose and higher to maintain and even higher to gain..that's the formula as I know it..
  • chrssy75c
    chrssy75c Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Congrats! It is nice to hear that, I just started the 1200 calories. Just keeping track of what I eat is amazing! Actually seeing how many calories. I also started using "serving" size only. Its hard,. I am a country farm girl and enjoy eating big portions. It is a change, but in time it will become my new way of a healthy lifestyle.
  • prettyface55
    prettyface55 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 lbs in a week eating only one grape a day. It's called the grape diet you should check it out! Just one grape can change your life!

Haha I'm interested!!
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    You are not supposed to lose more than 2 pounds per week. Anything higher at a continued pace can be taxing on the body and will be hard to maintain in the future.
  • sybrix
    sybrix Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    The thread started with "try it, you'll like it!"

Not, "If you have a medical problem that makes you have a lower than normal BMR". There's a reason those calculators are called "averages." That means it will work for most people. That's why everyone is all excited, not that 1200 isn't right for everyone in the whole world. It is wrong for the VAST majority of healthy people if they want to not lose LBM and maintain their weight loss in a non-life crushing way.

So hey, if you want to keep doing that same thing over and over and continue to fail, have at it. Otherwise, maybe you should take advice from people who are and have succeeded? Madness, I know.

Have you even read this thread? Like, the whole thing?

Sure, the first post had "You should try it!" in it, but it got sickeningly out of control after that.

No, everyone shouldn't try 1200 calories, or P90X, or raw food veganism., or a lot of other methods out there. They aren't for everyone. Conversely, it's not your place to tell people that those things shouldn't be attempted by anyone, without knowing their full story. Which is what the vast majority of the people in this thread did, while also resorting to nasty remarks that were out of line IMO.

But someone who does try those things within reason shouldn't automatically be assumed to be "doin' it wrong" and will crash and burn.

The point I was trying to make is that 1200 is great for SOME PEOPLE, and EVERY TIME someone says they eat 1200 on these forums, everyone ignores every logical reason someone can sensibly eat 1200 and start spouting BS about hair falling out and failure.

Who knows, maybe OP saw all those 1200 threads go into flames, tried it herself, had success, and felt the need to un-demonize it. I don't agree with the phrasing of her original post but I also don't think her hair is going to fall out or think her children's activity level has anything to do with anything that's my business, unlike a lot of people on here.

Also, I was speaking about extraneous issues that makes someone very sedentary, you can be perfectly healthy yet very inactive with a TDEE that reflects that. My point is there are reasons certain people would need to eat around 1200 to lose, and that it would not kill them. If OP is short and sedentary, this thread shouldn't be 10 pages of "OMG UR GONNA FAIL AND DIE!!!11"

Also, thanks for being a perfect example of that self-righteous tone I was talking about.

Do you even know anything about me? Who are you even addressing like that? Look at my ticker. I've been at this for years and haven't gained all my weight back or... crushed my life or whatever you just said. You don't know what I eat, what my physical activity is always like, exactly how much I eat, my physical circumstances. You don't know any of that. So exactly what makes you or anyone on here qualified to say stuff like "if you want to keep doing that same thing over and over and continue to fail, have at it"? Like... who's failing here, exactly?

I've succeeded quite nicely, thanks for the support and caring.

Congrats on your loss.

Also, I'm wary of taking advice from random internet people, because their methods aren't necessarily right for everyone on planet earth. And yes, this includes the OP, who I don't agree with 100% but have enough restraint to not phrase it like an a-hole. I don't pretend to be a medical professional or expert on nutrition/weight loss and tell others what they should be doing because I lost 37 pounds doing what worked for me personally. I can give anecdotal advice if they ask for it, but I'm not going to tell them to their face that they are going to fail and make hurtful nasty remarks to try and make myself feel smart and superior.
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I lost about 35lbs on 1200 a day. I gained it all back pretty quick because I couldn't maintain it.

This is what I don't understand (and NEVER pondered until I gained back a good portion of weight too)

How can a person eat 1200 calories a day (usually a huge deficit unless you are already small) and then UP your calories and expect to keep the weight off?

So you confused your body, got it used to eating a little bit of food and now you're going to introduce more? What do YOU think happens? I KNOW what happens!
  • nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    http://inspirefitness.tumblr.com/post/9172855820/why-you-cant-eat-1200-calories-and-burn-600

According to this, always eat your Net calories if you work out...at least 1200 cal. a day ! I was confused about that so thought I would share.
  • nks798
    nks798 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Sybrix, I love you. The end :)
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you. To each their own.

No way I could survive on 1200 cals a day myself, I like food too much.
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    This is the song that never ends, it just goes on and on my friends...
  • svelt123
    svelt123 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    :smile: That is wonderful! I tried 1200 and yes. It does work. BUT I had a difficult time with it.
    I lost 17 lbs. I just wish that I could have maintained it. So now I am back at it again.
    Keep going! :smile:
  • AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member
    Options

Do you even know anything about me? Who are you even addressing like that? Look at my ticker. I've been at this for years and haven't gained all my weight back or... crushed my life or whatever you just said. You don't know what I eat, what my physical activity is always like, exactly how much I eat, my physical circumstances. You don't know any of that. So exactly what makes you or anyone on here qualified to say stuff like "if you want to keep doing that same thing over and over and continue to fail, have at it"? Like... who's failing here, exactly?

From your own profile page:
    This year so far I've been slipping, and gained back up to 145.5. So I'm determined to finish what I started and get down to a healthy 125 lbs

lol
  • sybrix
    sybrix Posts: 134 Member
    Options

From your own profile page:
    This year so far I've been slipping, and gained back up to 145.5. So I'm determined to finish what I started and get down to a healthy 125 lbs

lol

I was actually waiting for someone to try and pick apart my profile or past posts on here. I know some of you love doing that!

That was a 3 lb gain, FYI. Ermagerd I'm such a failure! I've since lost that + 4 more lbs. I'm doing pretty great right now, losing consistently and feeling good.

I've never weighed myself weekly when I wrote that, and find my weight fluctuates by as much as 5 lbs depending on TOM and water weight. So when I originally typed that, I can't even be sure what those 3 lbs really were, nor do I care.

So yep, I'm still quite successful in my journey. Thanks for your support and caring though, and congrats on your loss too, AverageUkDude. :smile:

Anyone else? ;)
  • Chissy11
    Options
    Some of you people seem absolutely miserable. Some of us are just getting started learning the "science" of weight loss and may make some mistakes, but the way some of you respond makes me not even wanna post my progress, ask questions or ask for advice, smh. There is a lot of useful information in this thread but I wish some people weren't so arrogant and "all knowing" in their responses.
  • octogirlpretty
    Options
    Some of you people seem absolutely miserable. Some of us are just getting started learning the "science" of weight loss and may make some mistakes, but the way some of you respond makes me not even wanna post my progress, ask questions or ask for advice, smh. There is a lot of useful information in this thread but I wish some people weren't so arrogant and "all knowing" in their responses.

I feel like the same way...:(
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    This is the song that never ends, it just goes on and on my friends...

Some people started singing it not knowing what it was.....
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!