Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• sjacobs425
    sjacobs425 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thursday Truth:

I often get frustrated with things that go along with being obese. Like having limited mobility putting on specific clothing. But at the same time I tend to laugh at these silly things. I wanted to share my sports bra story with you all to give you a little chuckle. Sports bras typically are not my friend. I sometimes have trouble putting on the ones that slip over your head because they roll up in the back and I cannot reach them to pull them down. My husband frequently has to help me. I have a very large bust and it is difficult to find a good sports bra to keep the ladies from giggling around and hurting while working out. I found one that works for me on OldNavy.com in their plus-sized section. (Only able to purchase these online) My other sports bras wore out and needed to be discarded. That only left me with one. Knowing wearing 1 sports bra to work out daily is just stinky and gross, I went on Old Navy's website to purchase more. I discovered they still sold the same one that I purchased a while ago but they were sold out of my size. Just my luck. :grumble: I ended up purchasing a different one from their plus-sized section. Then I went into the regular section and ordered one in a XXL to try it out.

The other day I came home and found my Old Navy box waiting for me by the front door. I snatched it up, ran into my bedroom, opened the box and began to dig through my purchases. (I bought a ton of tank tops to wear under sweaters, some short-sleeved tee shirts, new workout pants and 2 sports bras. They were having a sale and I had some Old Navy rewards dollars to use up.) I shuffle through all the other stuff and pull out the 2 sports bras and begin to try them on. Starting first with the 1X plus-sized black one. It is the type that you slip over your head. I start by slipping my arms into it. I notice it feels a bit stiff and snug. Being the determined son-of-a-gun that I am, I don't take it off but try to get it to fit. Now past my elbows, I lift my arms up and manage to wiggle it to my armpits. 'Wow, this sucker is a tight one.' is what I thought then decided it was best to take it off rather than forcing it on any more than I have already done. I move my arm one way to try to grab it. Nope, that's not going to work. I try to move the other arm. Nope, not working either. I stood there bare-breasted, arms stuck straight up in the air pressed against my ears with a sports bra tightly wrapped around my arm pits looking in a mirror. For a moment, I felt like a T-rex with extremely short arms. Nothing I tried was working. I couldn't move my arms into a position to grab the sports bra and pull it off. I was SUCK. :sad: The compression of the sports bra began to become uncomfortable. :embarassed: I spun around and looked at the clock, it was only 4:37 at least another 2 hours before Brian came home from work. Panic set in. I briefly contemplated calling him at work and asking him to come home to get me out of my bra. He has had to save me from a bad relationship with a sports bra in the past. This wasn't the first time I have gotten stuck in one of these things and surely not the last time this will happen either. :blushing: Then I thought about how ridiculous that would sound when he went to his boss and asked to leave early. That is when my panic turned to laughter. :laugh: I just stood there looking in the mirror laughing at my dilemma. It wasn't a pretty sight. :noway: As much as it hurt I just wriggled and jiggled until I managed to get the dang thing off. I don't know how I did it, but somehow I got the thing off. :bigsmile:

Once off I looked at my pretty blue "normal-sized person" XXL sports bra. I measured it against the black one. It was at least 2 inches larger. WTH is up with that?!!!! The XXL fits but the plus-sized 1X doesn't?!!!! I think the black one may have been a compression bra or something of the sort. Clearly it is way to small. Considering plus-sized clothing through Old Navy is only sold online, I cannot return it to the store. If I want to return it, I have to do so by mail. Talk about a pain in the tush. :angry: I decided to keep the black one rather than go through the trouble of returning it. I am going to make it a goal to one day fit into it and get good use out of it.

When Brian came home from work I showed him my new bras and told him the story while reenacting it without the use of props. There was no way in hell I was going to try putting that thing on again. We had a good laugh. :laugh:

So there you go. My Thursday truth. Because of my large bust and large body I have a really bad relationship with sports bras. :brokenheart: 2nd truth - Up until then I have been using the same smelly sports bra while working out. That is just gross. :sick:

I hope everyone has a fantastic day. :smooched:

Nettie, i saw yours first, read it, cracked up laughing, so bad that my coworkers asked if i was ok, i couldn't them, i wouldn't do that to you... but the thought of you straight up in the air... yea i can relate and not getting it down over the back fat... me too. laughing with you not at you. hugs my dear you made my day. i can't even read anymore or type my own thursday truth yet. ill be back later. thanks for the smile!
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Robin - Good idea for SkinnyJeanz about documenting the phone calls. Great idea about the doctor visits as well. My mother does that and has been telling me for years that I should do it. I really should start doing that. It is an important thing to have. Keep us posted on your health. I hope you feel better soon.

Skinnyjeanz - I really should start speaking up to her. I just hate confrontation. In my mind, I rehearse all the things I should have and would have loved to say to her in those situations.Good luck with your MIL! Keep us posted.

Kelley - Happy Birthday!

Laurie - I hope everything works out with your dad.

sjacobs - I am glad you found humor in my story. You can share with your coworkers. I don't care. I am able to laugh at my predicament too. It's all good. :laugh:
  • beachgirl613
    beachgirl613 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Thursday Truth

Between work and physical therapy I haven't eating as well as I should have. I had a late session yesterday and wound up eating McDonalds which I haven't eaten in quite a while. After eating, I felt really disgusted with myself. I'm back on track today.

My knee is so much better that I actually ran up the stairs in my house the other day. If all looks well, my last session will be on Friday. I'll honestly miss it, but I just need to keep going with the exercises. I started out not able to bike a mile in my 10 minute warm up and last night I got to 2.5 miles in those 10 minutes. I was also able to walk a ton over the weekend with no pain.

I just need to keep going forward, especially since I'm taking my daughter to Florida for Christmas.
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    @Nettie~I’m sorry, but that is LOL funny. I’ve been there, in a dressing room mostly though. Now, for future reference do you a have Kohl’s near you? They have a really expanded bra section, tons of brands and sizes. They sell Champion sports bras, those are what I wear and I’ve had really good luck with them. They have some that you pull over your head, but the style I wear are compression that work like a regular bra but don’t give you “monoboob.”
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Thursday Truth: Counting my Blessings

I'm always a pretty happy, positive person, but lately I've been noticing that I'm almost giddy. Things are going very well at this point in my life and there have sure been times I haven't been able to say that. As we approach Thanksgiving, I'm focusing every day on the things that make me thankful. Good health, a great marriage, terrific kids, supportive friends, a comfortable home, gainful employment at a thriving company and last but not least, finally getting my act together this year and making strides in losing weight. I'm old enough to know all this can change on a dime, so I'm going to be grateful and give thanks for every day it lasts.

Hope everyone has blessings to count.
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone- I have been so busy with home work and my job has been mentally stressful because my bosses last day is today.

My Thursday truth is even though I love my zumba class I hate being the fatest one in the class. I feel like people are making fun of me cuz I can't do all the moves and I am very uncordinated. Last night these two girls kept giggling and whispering I felt like they were talking about me but I for what someone said they were talking about the girl that tries to flirt with the instructor. I just know I didn't have a good feeling when in class.
  • naceto
    naceto Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Kelley- It was your birthday? Happy Birthday!!! (belated?)

Nettie- You poor girl! I too have been the victim of a too tight sports bra.... likely we have all been stuck in front of a mirror, with our arms pulled straight up by an evil bra! A couple of weeks ago, I was looking for something like a spanx for my top parts (makes the tummy wiggle just a bit less, I thought). I found out the hard way that stepping into them and pulling them up is much better than over the head. I have bursitis in my shoulders and am still feeling the regret of trying that darn thing on! There should be a warning label!

M0w- Sorry your new job is wearing you out! Mine is sloooooooow. I love the people and the place, but am really looking forward to getting more accounts to work with.

Yesterday, I had my yearly checkup. I got praise for overall weight loss throughout the year and for not smoking. I took up the e-cig.... It's still nicotine, but not all of the other yucky stuff. I will taper off of the nicotine, when I am ready. She did increase the BP meds and refer me to cardio for a stress test. (just a precaution). AND I'm 40 now, so I get a mammogram- fun. UGH :grumble: Overall, I'm alive and mostly healthy- so I will deal with the rest as I need to. :glasses:

Thursday truth- I haven't gone on a walk since Sunday. :ohwell: I need to try harder. I lost 5lbs from last week, but I think it is food related (crock pot meals and salads). I need to get active and stay active! Basically, I need to stick with my plans.
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I saw this and tought it may help me and maybe some of the poeple here.
    "It can be extra hard to eat healthy around the holidays since heavy foods are often the focus of our celebrations. This year, try changing your mindset a bit.

The holidays can be so much more than big dinners and high-calorie appetizers. They are a good time for us to focus on what matters and spend quality time with our loved ones. All the while, you can still enjoy holiday foods by keeping portions under control and eating mindfully.

Basic Tips for Any Holiday
    •Give yourself something to look forward to other than your holiday feast. Start a new tradition that gets everyone up and moving. Try running or walking a holiday race with your family. You could also start an annual flag football game, or take the whole gang sledding. There are lots of options for winter activities!
    •Why wait until the new year to get into an exercise routine? Take advantage of your days off from work or school around the holidays and build in some time for physical activity. Create a holiday challenge with your family or coworkers for extra motivation to stay active during the holiday season.
    •Manage your holiday stress level by being realistic. Don’t take on more duties than you can handle.
    •When you bring a dish to a holiday party, look for a lighter recipe. It will give you a healthy option, along with others who are trying to maintain their weight around the holidays. We have plenty of light and tasty holiday recipes right here on Recipes for Healthy Living!
    •Don’t skip meals earlier in the day. Coming to a party hungry means you'll be more likely to overeat.

Appetizers

If you don't pay attention, it’s easy to eat as much as 500 calories while grazing on appetizers. Here are some ways to avoid overeating before the dinner bell rings:
    •Fill a small appetizer plate once instead of snacking on chips and dip straight from the bowl. You'll have a better idea of how much you are eating if you fill a plate and walk away from the appetizer table.
    •Stop by the veggie tray first and fill at least half of your appetizer plate with a variety of veggies. Use these for dipping rather than tortilla chips, crackers, or bread.
    •Watch out for all of the creamy and cheesy dips like crab dip and spinach artichoke dip. These are dense in calories so keep portions small. Opt for bean dip, hummus, guacamole or low-fat ranch dressing instead.
    •Watch portions from the cheese and meat tray. Remember salami and other processed meats are high in sodium and saturated fat, so it may be best to skip these and save room for dinner. When it comes to cheese, remember that 1 ounce has about 100 calories and 5 grams of saturated fat. Again, it is important to keep portions small. (An ounce of cheese is about the size of a pair of dice.)

Some tasty ideas from our recipe library that you can bring to your next holiday party are Bell Pepper Poppers, Holiday Veggie and Hummus Platter, or Goat Cheese & Pear Mini Tarts.

Drinks

You may want to enjoy a celebratory drink or two at a holiday party. We recommend no more than two drinks per day for men and one drink per day for women. If you decide to drink, look for these lighter options at the bar:
    •Vodka soda with splash of cranberry (or use another calorie-free mixer with an ounce of spirits)
    •Champagne (add some sliced strawberries or raspberries to make your drink more festive)
    •Light beer
    •Wine or a wine spritzer (½ wine, ½ club soda served over ice with a slice of lemon or lime)

Here are some high-calorie drinks to watch out for:
    •8-ounce spiked egg nog - 300+ calories
    •8-ounce margarita on the rocks - 170+ calories
    •4½-ounce white Russian - 300+ calories
    •12-ounce bottle of specialty Christmas Ale (7.5% alcohol) - 200 calories

Don’t drink on an empty stomach and keep an eye on portion size. It’s easy to serve up more than a standard serving, which is 12 ounces of beer, 5 ounces of wine, and 1-1 ½ ounces of spirits.

Holiday Dinner

Use our Create Your Plate meal planning method to keep portions in perspective at dinner time. It’s an easy way to plan your meals and it's great for "serve yourself" situations.

Simply fill half of your plate non-starchy veggies like salad, broccoli, carrots, or Brussels sprouts. Then fill one-fourth of the plate with starchy foods like sweet potatoes, a whole wheat roll, roasted root veggies, or corn casserole. The last fourth can be filled with a lean protein, like roasted turkey breast, chicken without the skin, or fish. You can also add a side of fruit salad and/or dairy. If you want more information, read more about Create Your Plate on diabetes.org. Some other tips to remember are:
    •Many holiday feasts include mostly starchy foods and meats. Switch it up and bring a tasty side that has non-starchy vegetables. Some ideas are festive salads, roasted Brussels sprouts, and green beans. For example, try our Apple and Gorgonzola Salad, Holiday Brussels Sprouts with Cranberries, or Roasted Green Beans in Champagne Vinaigrette.
    •Remember which foods are starchy – corn, regular potatoes, sweet potatoes, and rolls. Choose your favorites and watch portions! If you don't want a side of fruit or dairy with your meal, you can always switch it out for a portion of another starchy food.
    •Want to see how it all works? Check out this month’s meal plan for an example.

Dessert

Research has shown that the type of carbohydrate is not as important as the amount of carbohydrate you eat when it comes to controlling blood glucose levels. Yep – that means that you can substitute a small portion of dessert for other carbohydrate foods in the same meal. Just remember it's important to save sweets for special occasions so you aren't missing out on important nutrients that you get from other foods.
    •Remember that fruit makes a nutritious, lower calorie dessert option.
    •Try a small portion of a fruit-based dessert like cinnamon baked apples or strawberries dipped in sugar-free chocolate. These will still have a fair amount of carbs, but overall they are more nutritious than chocolate cake or sugar cookies.
    •Keep portions small since dessert items are often dense in calories, carbs, and unhealthy fats.
    •Check out this month’s Meal Makeover for more ideas on fitting in dessert."

Quote of the day part 2:
    “To climb steep hills requires slow pace at first.” ~William Shakespeare
  • shakirad81
    shakirad81 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Heyy, Ive lost 50 pounds so far and I can honesty say that most of it came off from just walking around my neighborhood for 35 min 5 days a week and MyFitnessPal helped a whole lot too so your doing great already. It just takes time and dedication. If you have internet, look up exercise tv 1 mile walk with Leslie Sansone on youtube, that walking video works wonders. Take it one day at a time and you'll reach your goal in no time! :)
  • susan2396
    susan2396 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Thursday Truth: I really, really stink at my Wednesday Wish. Patience. I HATE being patient. I want what I want and I want it NOW!!! I just can’t believe how slow this weight is coming off. I’m trying soooo hard I really am at being patient, but I’m working my butt off at the gym or exercise in general. I’ve NEVER exercised this hard yet the scale is barely moving. Do I miss a few bites on my log? Yes, not every day but I’m really very close on everything I eat. I know I have to just keep doing what I’m doing and I know it will start moving, but the mental challenges of this journey are beating me up. I made it through Halloween, but three more to go. I can do this!!!

@ Kelly - I wasn't online yesterday only to log my food, but Happy Belated!! It sounds like you had a good day overall. A few treats at the office and a nice workout with your trainer too. Good for you!!

@ Karen – I think It was Robin, but someone mentioned starting to document these MIL instances. It sounds like dementia to me and it will only get worse I’m afraid. At least your DH and SIL seem to be on the same page and seeing the same things. Thoughts going out to you because I know how hard it can be. I use to work for the AARP years ago. Even back then they shared a statistic that in the year 2020 we will have more elderly than any other age group because of the baby boomers. I know I’ll be there with my parents that’s for sure.

@ Beachgirl – I can totally relate. Any time I eat fast food now it just makes me feel blah. Amazing how our bodies are changing and demanding the healthier stuff. Where in FL will you be going? My son and I are visiting my parents this year for the holidays and they’re in Sarasota. My favorite beach is there, which is Siesta Key and they only live 6 miles from it. We love it!!

@ Nettie – OMG!!! I bet my triplets beat your twins. LOL!! The only bra I have ever found that works and it cost a small fortune is by Enell. It’s actually the bra Oprah wears. I figured if it works for her then why not. Sure enough. It holds those puppies in and tight. With that said, it’s like Fort Knox to get it on though. The do have snaps down the front, but there are soooo many I just leave them closed and shimmy over the shoulders. I think many of us can relate. Thanks for sharing – loved it!!!!

@Lives2Travel – LOVED your post. I could basically post the exact same thing minus the GREAT marriage. Unfortunately, mine wasn’t so great and I got out after 10 years, but I did get an amazing son out of it. Often, I feel a “little” guilty because I have other friends who always seem to struggle and my life is pretty good. Not sure why that happens, but I am forever thankful.

@ Tom – Awesome reminder during this tough time of year. Last year was a major derailment for me and I’m determined to tackle it head on this year. So far so good!!! All great tips I will remember.

@ Queen – You get in there and shake your bon bons like no one is watching!! Just the fact that you’re trying is all that matters. Screw them!!! Don’t get me wrong. I’ve battled that for years when you know you’re the fattest one among co-workers, Zumba class, best friends, etc. . . We just have to believe in ourselves and know we’re working on making us better. You dance to your hearts desire!!

@ Laurie – I know it’s scary seeing our parents going through health stuff. My dad had back surgery a few months ago (5 bulging disc). It’s scary especially at his age 68 when you start to see things happening. He’s been very healthy and to see him down is tough. I’ll be thinking about your dad and hopefully they can find him some relief.

@ Ashley – You’re doing the right thing and trying to get Jacob on track now. As our teachers (Karen and Laurie) have shared it only gets worse as they get older AND when it counts in high school. Cyrus was struggling initially, but he did OK this semester. All A’s and B’s, but his first C in Science plus they were all accelerated classes as well. He missed a B by 1%, but it was his own fault. The teacher offered extra credit and he was lazy. I told him this is the reason why you do it or even try. If the teacher sees you trying, they are more apt to bump you up. You don’t try then probably not. So far so good, but I’m still pushing him every day (gently of course). Hang in there!

@ Kris – I do miss you on here. Your post always made me chuckle. I’ll never forget MowMow in the stroller. Classic Kris. I’m glad you’re doing your logging and getting things back under control, which is really what’s important. We’ll still be around when you can jump on. I noticed you changed your stats too. It's so hard, but you owned it and now your ready to take control. When I had to add those 30 lbs back I gained, I was so upset. Here I am though and so are you. Very proud!

@ Naceto – Nice check up and good for you!!! As far as the mammogram, I had mine smashed for the first time at 43. It should have been sooner, but not as bad as I thought. It’s just awkward. It didn’t hurt because I have so much fat for them to smoosh. LOL!! Just strange looking down and seeing the big blops laying in front of you. All joking aside it’s imperative to get done so schedule your appointment!! Sorry Tom and Gorilla as our token men on this thread. I’m sure you would have some uncomfortable places to share too.
  • michelleborman50
    michelleborman50 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thursday Truth-I didn't exercise much this week...well I actually only exercised once. I didn't notice my hurting myself doing zumba but for some reason my knee is swollen and that leg hurts from my calf all the way up the back of my thigh. Not sure what is going on with that. Also, I haven't even started drinking any water. If its not diet pop or coffee I am not drinking it.
    Which brings me to a question: Does drinking water actually help losing weight by flushing fat???

@susan2396- I am not a patient person either :( But do you find yourself jumping to get something done when ask (like for work). I don't like waiting and I don't want anyone waiting on me.

@skinnyjeans-Good choice on putting your foot down in regards to not being the go between. Very wise choice.

@nettie- your story cracked me up. I am glad you made it out of the bra safe and sound!

@shakirad-I am going to look up the 1 mile walk with leslie. I think I might need to do something like that until my knee heals up. Thanks for the info

@morgori- thanks for the great info

@queen-hold your head up high. Remember that while we might be over weight, we can fix our issue. Someone talking about you just shows how ugly they are inside.
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Ashley- Happy to hear that Jacob is out of the boot and I hope his foot continues to heal. Regarding the middle school transition, it is a tough one for many kids. I taught 6th grade for 10 years before moving to 7/8 and I have seen many kids struggle with the transition and having multiple teachers. Some advice- Continue to check in on Jacob's homework, even it he just leaves it on the table for you to check at night, contact his teachers once in a while or follow the on-line grade book to see his grade and assignments. Many assignments never make it home in middle school, they get thrown away. Set aside a time period each night to study in a quiet place, you can have him study then ask him questions or have him explain his notes to you. The explaining will enable him to show what he knows, teaches you something and increases his understanding of the topic. This way you are still allowing him some independence but with guidance while teaching him how to study. Every middle school needs those skills. Make sure you know his friends, kids tend to hang out with the people who they deem are cool but may actually be considered "the trouble maker' in school. They will follow the "cool kids".

Nettie-Your story made me laugh and I can also sympathize with getting stuck in clothes- not fun. I also like sports bras that hook in the front "Bali" makes them in a wide range of sizes.

My dad has a skin infection called cellulitis and will be in the hospital for at least another day. Still waiting to hear if there is a kidney infection. He is still in pain and out of it most of the time. Hopefully, he will be better tomorrow and they can start PT. They are talking about sending him to a rehab center so that is a good thing. It is hard to see him go threw this and knowing that his mobility is failing him is even more difficult since he is usually a very outgoing person who loves being around people. I hope that the Rehab center will help him regain some mobility.

Have a great weekend.
  • p1xyn1xy
    p1xyn1xy Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Thursday truth,
    I haven't done any exercise today and I might not tomorrow.
    Like Michelle, I did something to my left knee during Zumba last night. While it doesn't sound as serious (Michelle, I hope your knee starts to feel better:frown: ), I 'm limping and it's delicate.

I'm sorta worried that this might throw off the momentum I have going w/ my exercise. :grumble:
  • stormydestiny
    Options
    hi guys! its been a minute, ive just been very busy trying to work out as much as possible. i started the c25k program and so far have been able to complete the first and second workout without stopping. which i am super proud of considering i never really run/jog. ive been trying to do 30 mins cardio ( c25k or walking on the treadmill) and 30 mins strength training ( nike training club) but i am starting to wonder if i am doing too much too soon? I have a tendancy of jumping head first into things so i know i very well could be. i just really want results, even if it hurts to move.

Thursday truth: i bought a scale last friday, i decided i was going to get back on the mfp wagon and give it my all. i hadnt followed my calorie budget or exercised at all for the entire month of october. to my surprise i had lost weight. since then i have been busting my butt because i was sooo close to 270, but i have also slightly been obsessing about losing weight. i mean weighing myself everyday, sometimes more than once cant be a good thing right? its just so discouraging to see that after feeling so amazing about what i had lost, to have gained 3 lbs
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    StormyDestiny - So you got a scale and you've started weighing multiple times a day and noticed how your daily weight swings up and down and up again - shocking isn't it? I only weight myself first thing in the morning after my morning bathroom visit, and that's it. Once a day if that often, more like once a week, close to the same day of the week. Otherwise, the scale would drive me crazy! :noway: Your work-outs sound good. If you're not hurting overnight, youre not doing too much.

Nettie - loved your story esp. your image of looking like a T-Rex, what with your tiny arms trapped up in the air.

Queen - *kitten* 'em! Someone else said it best, you can change how you look, they can't change that they are jerks.

AFM - Still in a lot of oral pain, (LOTS!) and debilitating fatigue, and determined this is the last time I will mention it until I find a cure for it. The nice ENT doctor called last nite to say the Lab Results were inconsequential, but that we would keep exploring for a cause. He still has to talk with my rheumatologist. I'm to the point where eating is so uncomfortable I have trouble getting my calories in. There's only so much milk and soft food a person can eat. I wouldn't wish this condition on anyone. I can barely talk or hold a conversation - and I haven't been to work in 3 weeks and told them I won't be in until further notice. Until I can hold a conversation I'm not much use to them.
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Wow....I missed a few days and been trying to catch up on the posts. I see missed KAH b-day so happy belated.

I have lost 3lbs now but I it has been so long since a loss I forgot how to update my ticker or does it automatically update?
    I have a lot of homework this weekend but will try to get some walking in other than around my house.
  • kah68
    Options
    TGIF!!!

@Michelle~It sounds like you may have strained a muscle. I’m the queen of knee injuries, I would ice your knee as much as possible – 20 minutes on, 20 minutes off for an hour and then repeat as often as you can throughout the day, especially after you exercise. Also, take some ibuprofen to help with inflammation. If the swelling doesn’t go away in a few days you might want to see your doc or an orthoped to make sure you didn’t tear a ligament or something. In the meantime, definitely keep your exercise low-impact like walking, biking, swimming, or using an elliptical.

We need water, our organs need water. It serves many purposes including flushing toxins from the system, aiding digestion and it increases your metabolism for burning calories – essential for replacing electrolytes and sodium after exercise. You also need more than just 64 ounces a day – but if you aren’t drinking any, I would suggest trying to drink at least 16 ounces and then work your way up. Fitness trainers and nutritionists will say to drink half of your body weight in ounces daily. If you don’t like the taste you can make fruit infused water or add flavor like MiO, lemon or lime – I like water so drink it plain most of the time but add TrueLemon and TrueLime from time to time, you can find those in the baking aisle.

@p1xyn1xy~I hope your knee feels better, too – ice is the best therapy for strained knees.

@stormy~Great job with the C25K program! As with any exercise program you should start out slow and work your way up, then you need to give your body 1-2 days a week to rest and recover – you can do active recovery though by going for walks or playing with pets/kids if you have any. Not giving yourself those days can put a lot of stress on your body and you’ll find yourself not losing weight (or even gaining). I used to be scale obsessed too, weighting every day, but now I weigh twice a week and do an official “weigh in” once/month with my trainer. You can drive yourself crazy weighing too much, especially because as women our weight fluctuates so much. Some people stay motivated by weighing every day, not me though.

@Laurie~Those rehab centers are usually really good about improving mobility in patient’s, so they should be able to do a lot for your dad. I hope he is on the road to recovery soon.

@Robin~I’m sorry you’re in so much pain and still feeling poorly. I hope the ENT and your rheumatologist are able to figure out what is going on, and quick! :flowerforyou:

AFM~I’m working just a half day today, so into the office a bit early to finish off some stuff – I have one more deadline to meet in a couple of weeks and then things should settle down. I will hopefully have time for a workout late this afternoon. Oh, a friend at work is fostering miniature red poodle puppies so am contemplating a playmate for Zoe – I’ve read that poodles are good dog companions for cats, plus they are hypoallergenic. :wink: She’s finding out more information for me – but I may have a puppy in the near future. :happy: I’ve been looking for another Maine Coon for Zoe, but love dogs too and this just kind of fell into my lap so we’ll see.

Have a great day!
  • kah68
    Options
    Wow....I missed a few days and been trying to catch up on the posts. I see missed KAH b-day so happy belated.

I have lost 3lbs now but I it has been so long since a loss I forgot how to update my ticker or does it automatically update?
    I have a lot of homework this weekend but will try to get some walking in other than around my house.

Yay, for the loss! Use the "check-in" section on either the mobile app or the website to update your weight. WTG Holly!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Friday Fitness: Just walking still. I do about 3-4 miles 5 times per week. I want to find a beginners yoga class when I feel a bit more comfortable wearing tight stretchy pants in front of others. I know that's weird, but I'd rather wait until I can take a class and truly enjoy it instead of risking hating it because I feel self conscious. I'm thinking a yoga class could be a good reward for getting 2/3 rds toward my goal. I'll hopefully be there around the beginning of May.

Weekend Eating: We eat out almost every Friday and Saturday night with friends or just the 2 of us. I'm lucky that my husband is very supportive of my weight loss and he's always concerned that we go somewhere where I can find a healthy meal. We pre-plan where we're going and I look up the menu online and find a reasonable choice. Then I log it in and make the rest of my day fit whatever is left calorie wise. Pre-logging for the day ahead is one of the best things about MFP for a planner like me.

@susan2396 - Patience is a virtue, but like you it's not one I possess. I am patient..... with other people, just not with myself. My expectations of myself have always been skewed toward perfection. Silly I know. I've always been a pro at planning and executing except when it comes to my weight. I'm learning (slowly) to forgive myself when I do less than my best and to recognize that I can't control some things, like how fast or slow this weight comes off. It's hard because I know I'm doing it right and working hard (as you are), but that doesn't always translate to results. I need to learn to accept that this is one of those things I cannot control. I'll accept it, but I don't have to like it.

@robin - I'm so sorry you're still having such a tough time. I can't imagine having the energy or focus for logging calories or much else when you feel so rotten. Hope you find an answer soon and start on the road to recovery.

Good weekend to all!
  • NewCaddy
    NewCaddy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    @Karen...I hope your husband doesn't give up on his Mom, but I certainly can understand the desire. It's nice that your SIL and DH are working together and discussing this. It's hard when siblings are on different levels (that happened with my Grandpa and his 6 kids...my dad lived on the same farm as him and was telling everyone he couldn't live alone anymore and his siblings (2-7 hours away) were in denial. I wish you luck.

@Nettie...love it! I've never actually been "stuck" in a bra, but I was stuck in a shirt once in Lane Bryant. It had an inner compression lining and even when I got out of it, I was unable to figure out how it should have gone. Needless to say, it went back on the hanger for someone else to deal with. :laugh:

@Beachgirl...glad your rehab is going so well!

@Queen...my sisters tell me all the time that I'm too self conscious. They remind me that people at the gym have better things to do then to judge others -- most are just busy getting their workouts done. I also read on here that most people thinking it's impressive when overweight people are in the gym because it means they are taking steps to get healthier. But I know exactly how you're thinking and it sucks to feel that way.

@Naceto...great job on a year of no smoking! And BP medicine is something that has to be adjusted quite often -- I remember that with my dad.

@Tom...thanks for the article, it has some great points.

@Susan...you can do this...it will come off...just keep going the way you're going. :flowerforyou:

@Laurie...glad they figured out what the problem is (partially at least). It's hard to watch your parents struggle with health issues. Hope they can get him exactly what he needs.

@Robin...praying that they figure it out and it's something they can fix. :heart:

AFM...yesterday I had planned on chinese take out over lunch. I've been craving it for a while and looked at my calories and figured it out. Then my husband woke up at 5:00 and said "Let's go to Red Lobster for a family dinner." I've been asking him to go for a while now, but since he only has one day off, he generally likes to just stay home and veg out. So I took him up on it and ate. I went over by quite a bit, but it was such a nice meal. Real conversations between all four of us. Kids not arguing. Michael in a good mood. Well worth the calories. And then to top it off, the bill came for $63. We had a free kids meal and two gift cards (I assumed $5-10 each). The bill came back for $7.11 -- Whoo hoo!!!! When I added a tip, I was right around the $20 mark for a dinner for 4 at a nice restaurant.

Thank you everyone for the words of encouragement with Jacob. I know we'll get through it, we'll just find the groove. Some great suggestions you all gave.

This morning, one of my lifting partners is headed out of town, so we met at the gym this morning. Apparently, not only am I not a morning person, neither are my muscles. Granted, I was stuck before on 70# for the OHP, but man they were killer today! I have now failed at that level 3 times and will drop weight.

Friday Fitness. I've stayed on plan this week and that makes me feel good. Exercise Goals:

Friday - lift (DONE)
    Saturday - Water Aerobics and family swim
    Sunday - rest
    Monday - lift
    Tuesday - rest
    Wednesday - lift
    Thursday - cardio
    Friday - lift

Have a great Friday!

Tracy