SarahMakePretty Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    RIGHT ON!

*moving along now*

..lol..
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    I will be damned if I say "right on" to somebody if they are doing it wrong. (Read silly, unhealthy, unecessary approaches that will not be sustainable long term) In addition, I will speak up if somebody is spreading crap information.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    We love arguing online.

Please point us to these Success-turned-nasty threads. We wanna see...:sad:
  • SarahMakePretty
    Options
    Isn't this supposed to be a place of support? Time after time I see threads of success and someone rips them a new one for doing it differently then themselves. TDEE isn't for everyone. Paleo isn't for everyone. High carb high sugar eat everything in moderation isn't for everyone. But, no, people with zero medical skill pipe in about how wrong someone's diet choices are. Seriously, how awful is that? Can't we just say, "RIGHT ON!" and move along? What kind of a support system IS this?!

WHERE ARE MY POSITIVE PEOPLE AT?!

well see...the thing is that people spout all kinds of nonsense that isn't backed by any kind of science and can often be dangerous to other naive users...so some people like to point out that nonsense and actually feel that that is more supportive then just letting someone do something that's actually stupid, might be dangerous...might be a waste of time and money, etc. Most of us are also blunt and don't **** rainbows and daisies either...

also...

new.gif

Should I just clarify... I'm not saying that telling someone, "you probably shouldn't eat 300 calories a day of pure fat and then work out 600 hours" is negative. That IS supportive. All I'm saying is, someone will say "I lost 30lbs low carb! Yay!" And then some self righteous turd will come right behind them and say something like, "Oh that's funny because I lost 34lbs eating whatever I wanted at 2000 calories".

WHAT? It's when people interject that their way is OBVIOUSLY better and totally glazing over someone else's success. That, is just plain rude.
  • YesIAm17
    YesIAm17 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Hence the "don't feed the troll" concept.

True... so for example don't both responding to this person's comment...
    Good luck with your totally science backed magic formula.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    We love arguing online.

ooooooooooooh. Must mean this one:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1129252-1200cal-day-really-works

But that is what happens in 1200 cal threads. Because - oh - nm.
  • SarahMakePretty
    Options
    We love arguing online.

That was the one that spurred my post, but I see it all the time. Someone always did it better and easier.
  • MellowBeast
    Options
    Yeah, I kind of agree.

Some people are way too crazy about their own special diets, that they think it's the one for everyone.
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Isn't this supposed to be a place of support? Time after time I see threads of success and someone rips them a new one for doing it differently then themselves. TDEE isn't for everyone. Paleo isn't for everyone. High carb high sugar eat everything in moderation isn't for everyone. But, no, people with zero medical skill pipe in about how wrong someone's diet choices are. Seriously, how awful is that? Can't we just say, "RIGHT ON!" and move along? What kind of a support system IS this?!

Okay, it's about that time again...

If your kid was about to run into the path of a large automobile, would you politely and calmly reason with them not to do such a thing?

I think not!

There are many fine and knowledgeable individuals that spend precious moments of their arduous lives dispensing valuable information on these forums...all for free. Yes, you read that correctly: FOR FREE!

So when individuals ask if wrapping their belly with plastic will cause weight loss...
    or how to effectively cleanse their body of toxins...
    or whether eating 1000 calories a day is effective...

MFP's ever-vigilant altruists, just like that loving parent, snatches them from the jaws of self-destruction.

There's not always time for polite discussion.
  • SarahMakePretty
    Options

Okay, it's about that time again...

If your kid was about to run into the path of a large automobile, would you politely and calmly reason with them not to do such a thing?

I think not!

There are many fine and knowledgeable individuals that spend precious moments of their arduous lives dispensing valuable information on these forums...all for free. Yes, you read that correctly: FOR FREE!

So when individuals ask if wrapping their belly with plastic will cause weight loss...
    or how to effectively cleanse their body of toxins...
    or whether eating 1000 calories a day is effective...

MFP's ever-vigilant altruists, just like that loving parent, snatches them from the jaws of self-destruction.

There's not always time for polite discussion.

Again, not referring to MFPers telling people to NOT do something ridiculous. I'm just saying that even when it's not ridiculous... in fact totally normal... some know-it-all comes behind them and tells them they MUST be wrong. And their way is better. Pfffft your weight loss is less impressive because you did it XYZ way. Clearly.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    some of us do have medical skills, and when you see a person with an obvious cry for help destroying his or her body willfully you cant help but be angry.

Now I'm guilty of posting the why are you so mean, but after a year hanging out on the forums I can see why you get a huge percentage of these posts answered with sarcasm and silly gifs.

There are only so many times you can see a woman starving her body on 1200kcals and blind to the fact why she has no weight loss that you just dont go "oh boy another one" EAT PEOPLE EATTTTTTT!
  • jennz81
    jennz81 Posts: 194 Member
    Options

I get what you are saying... but yeah TDEE kinda is for everyone... see if you are losing weight then you are at a deficit of TDEE, if you are maintaining then you are at TDEE, and if you are gaining then you are above TDEE... no way around it, that's the science. Of course how you choose to get to your deficit/maintenance/surplus, what foods you choose to eat, your chosen macros, etc can be a matter of preference and potentially up for debate.

We can disagree and still be supportive of the choice to be healthier.

I think a lot of people have really thin skin and take light-hearted jokes, snark, and gifs as though they are all out brutal attacks on all that is good in the world, when really we just like to use a little hyperbole to make our points in a more entertaining way. Even if you disagree with it you can appreciate the humor and creativity (or attempt thereof). Typically if a comedian on a stage makes fun of your race/religion/habits/etc you don't get all offended, you disagree but enjoy it anyway (at least I do).

Good advice :) Just take things with a grain of salt and move on.
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the internet! Don't feed the trolls, and quit being so negative! ;)
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Should I just clarify... I'm not saying that telling someone, "you probably shouldn't eat 300 calories a day of pure fat and then work out 600 hours" is negative. That IS supportive. All I'm saying is, someone will say "I lost 30lbs low carb! Yay!" And then some self righteous turd will come right behind them and say something like, "Oh that's funny because I lost 34lbs eating whatever I wanted at 2000 calories".

WHAT? It's when people interject that their way is OBVIOUSLY better and totally glazing over someone else's success. That, is just plain rude.

Oh get over it. I love the snarkiness of these forums. LOVE. :heart:
  • somerisagirlsname
    somerisagirlsname Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Run. While you still can.

tumblrm0beomkppg1r5ur0ho1500.gif
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    In for Unicorns.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I'm positive that this thread is going to go really, really well. :flowerforyou:
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    The happy people aren't counting their calories.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    For many years I worked as a psychologist in a mental unit of a hospital.

People are living their own lives, if they involve other people, then 6 times out of 10, their thoughts will involve themselves. So if they are offering advice to others then most times they are thinking of their own lives.

If you feel down/annoyed/aggressive/negative then you will respond as such.

Just as if you feel happy/elated/good mood/sharing you will respond in your mannerisms and the way you respond to others.

But at the end of the day it is the internet, lots of people sitting behind a computer....
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    We love arguing online.

That was the one that spurred my post, but I see it all the time. Someone always did it better and easier.

Of course someone always did it better and easier; it's an advice forum on the internet! Being a know-it-all is practically an Olympic sport on those :D
This discussion has been closed.