Why is there SO MUCH negativity here?!

Options

Replies

• mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I don't think everyone is negative; I think a lot of people are too sensitive.
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Les MFPerables

There was a time when posters were kind
    When their tone was soft
    And their words encouraging
    There was a time when cardio was fine
    And MFP was a song
    And MFP friends were inviting
    Then it all…went…wrong

I dreamed a dream in bandwidth gone by
    When motivation was high
    And logging on worth doing
    I dreamed the MFP site would never die
    I dreamed the Mods would be forgiving
    Then I was a noob and unafraid
    And strikes were made and used and wasted
    There was no reason to be made

No post untrolled
    No joke unwasted
    But the bullies come at night
    With their mean words soft as thunder
    As they tear your hope apart
    And turn your gurney to shame
    MFP filled my days with endless distraction
    It took my productivity in real life
    But it was gone when I deactivate
    And still I dream I’ll recreate
    That we’ll live our days online
    But there are dreams that cannot be
    And there are threads we cannot weather
    I had a dream my MFP experience would be
    So different from this hell I’m logging
    So different now from what it seemed
    Now your thread has killed
    The dream I dreamed

now-life-has-killed-the-dream-i-dreamed.gif

This LOL
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

+1
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

+1

I'm mean.

But people here are still too sensitive.
  • teebeegeebee
    teebeegeebee Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Don't pay any attention to the perfectionists

Use this site to learn what works best for you, we are each different and all have our own ways of coming to terms with what we need to do to succeed ( and we all have setbacks)

The negative people in my opinion:- expect instant results, always find fault with others, and usually are the first to complain/criticise. In this time of life when things can get tough mentally you don't need that going on, look for the positives and frankly discard the negatives

feel free to add me ( I have good and bad days and just get on with it)

:wink:
  • rita27ny
    rita27ny Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    because they r horny and need some sex in their life. :)
  • FitCurves444
    FitCurves444 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    People are HUNGRY and exhausted..... and that is why they are "mean".

I used to work for a supervisor who would submit to the most rigid diets and he was MOODY. I wanted to tell him, "You should just have a sandwich with a lot of meat and mayo and cheese. You're so mean when you're hungry!"
  • marleniap
    marleniap Posts: 120 Member
    Options

+1

I'm mean.

But people here are still too sensitive.

I agree, you have to be very careful what you say cause people get offended easy. It seem, all they want to hear is how well they are doing even if they're not. people ask for friends and advice but all they really want is someone to agree with everything they say and do. Believe this, if you really read their diaries and give your honest opinion, you would soon see they are not as friendly as they started out. Don't take my word for it, try it for yourself. Who knows, you may be that person that can't handle being told something you don't agree with.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options

Should I just clarify... I'm not saying that telling someone, "you probably shouldn't eat 300 calories a day of pure fat and then work out 600 hours" is negative. That IS supportive. All I'm saying is, someone will say "I lost 30lbs low carb! Yay!" And then some self righteous turd will come right behind them and say something like, "Oh that's funny because I lost 34lbs eating whatever I wanted at 2000 calories".

WHAT? It's when people interject that their way is OBVIOUSLY better and totally glazing over someone else's success. That, is just plain rude.

Or maybe the self righteous turd is just pointing out that you don't need to do some restrictive diet in order to lose weight? That possibly the fact that the poster was eating at a calorie deficit was the reason for their success rather than the fact they were following XYZ protocol of eating?

Yes, and the aforementioned, allegedly rude response is actually some of the more helpful advice I have heard on here. Also, I would be sure to remember it better than if it was said in some icky sweet tone. That kind of over the top politeness from strangers is a little weird to me anyway.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Again, not referring to MFPers telling people to NOT do something ridiculous. I'm just saying that even when it's not ridiculous... in fact totally normal... some know-it-all comes behind them and tells them they MUST be wrong. And their way is better. Pfffft your weight loss is less impressive because you did it XYZ way. Clearly.

Um. Some people think it is totally normal to demonize sugar. Or eat 1,000 calories a day. Or cut out entire food groups.

See where I'm going with this?
  • 31valerie
    31valerie Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I agree with you, We are all here fighting our own battles and no two people are the same. The way i look at it ... If you can't be supportive then don't add or look for supports. If your not being supportive what is the need to add people your just going to tear down! Not one person here needs the negativity! Bring on the positives :)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    You go, OP!

That'll show 'em!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    In late to the party...

I attribute it to there being more over sensitivity than anything else.
  • karen19711
    karen19711 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Wink K xo
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I'm even worse in real life where I'm not constrained by the suffocating Community Guidelines (all hail).

:flowerforyou:

And why is this in "General Diet and Weight Loss Help"?
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I'm going to answer this question as I just witnessed this on my totally inncocent post regarding do you log your cleaning?
    People ended up *****ing about hrms and that it's ridiculous to log because it is built into sedenary lifestyle. I stood by my guns and other ladies on that post stating that basically some people don't do 4 hours cleaning or painting and also I only log 30% of Mfp estimate. F******* hate Mfp now was supposed to be a place of support for me to slim down for my wedding, but thanks to these negative pains in my *kitten* I'm done. I'm only using my diary now.. Peace out

well, thanks for the lolz.

But seriously, HRMs aren't made for recording housework. Not sure why that fact has everyone's jimmies rustled.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I agree with you, We are all here fighting our own battles and no two people are the same. The way i look at it ... If you can't be supportive then don't add or look for supports. If your not being supportive what is the need to add people your just going to tear down! Not one person here needs the negativity! Bring on the positives :)

Most people are in fact the same, in respects to biology and the laws of thermaldynamics. I truly worry about a society where there is no capacity to deal with anything you don't find "positive", "supportive", "nice", or what-have-you. Then again I'm from the camp that doesn't agree with the "don't say anything I don't want to hear or it's mean", over-sensitive, participation trophy for everyone agenda that seems to be becoming prevalent.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    First Law Of MFP Forums states that as DERP increases, Negativity must also increase.
    Second Law of MFP Forums states that as negativity increases, butthurt also increases.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    Years of programming through violent video games, movies, rock and roll music, and a diet made entirely of sugar and energy drinks.
    think-of-the-children.jpg

But for real though...we could all be a little nicer to one another.

*runs off to learn all the words to Kum ba yah*
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    We love arguing online.

Please point us to these Success-turned-nasty threads. We wanna see...:sad:

ooooooooooooh. Must mean this one:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1129252-1200cal-day-really-works

But that is what happens in 1200 cal threads. Because - oh - nm.

That was the one that spurred my post, but I see it all the time. Someone always did it better and easier.

There are many reasons 1,200 cal "the answer" posts get "negative", and really they should be discouraged: if you are promoting any diet as "the answer", and it is unsafe for a large percentage of people, if you have any concern or personal responsibility for others, it should be discouraged. That thread, if you read the original post was PROMOTING 1200 cals as "what really works". For some it can, for some it can be life threatening, and, it's just not "what really works". Maybe its OK and safe for her, that's not the issue, the "1,200 cal diet" as promoted being "what works" is the issue.

NO calorie number from anyone is "the answer", we all have our own inherent errors, many we aren't even aware of, most aware people are still trying to figure out some of them, and some errors can even balance each other out and we think we are doing great and maybe the individual is, but those errors can cause problems for others if you apply my formula to you, and your errors don't cancel. Why use "used" data? Why not just go and create your account and start from scratch and use MFP as the tool its supposed to be? Figure your own situation out, there is no "answer", just rules to apply to your own situation, and some rules dont work as well for some situations as others, everyone needs to figure out what suits them. Touting any "answer" for all is just silly, doesn't help and truly misleads new people coming in. So, if some get "negative" on the 1200 cal fad that seems to spawn a new thread every day, I say good job alerting people there is a problem with it!

My "answer" is 2,500 cal some days, 3,000 cal other days, and that wont hurt anyone medically (except get some obese, and a few with certain conditions), but I wont promote it as "what really works" and then get mad at people who say thats too much and some saying its too little...yeah of course, it has to be applied to your situation, any number isnt "the answer"...doesn't take much to realize this.
This discussion has been closed.