Why is there SO MUCH negativity here?!

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    I'm going to answer this question as I just witnessed this on my totally inncocent post regarding do you log your cleaning?
    People ended up *****ing about hrms and that it's ridiculous to log because it is built into sedenary lifestyle. I stood by my guns and other ladies on that post stating that basically some people don't do 4 hours cleaning or painting and also I only log 30% of Mfp estimate. F******* hate Mfp now was supposed to be a place of support for me to slim down for my wedding, but thanks to these negative pains in my *kitten* I'm done. I'm only using my diary now.. Peace out

You may find married life difficult.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    wtg
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Years of programming through violent video games, movies, rock and roll music, and a diet made entirely of sugar and energy drinks.
    think-of-the-children.jpg

But for real though...we could all be a little nicer to one another.

*runs off to learn all the words to Kum ba yah*

*hands over hand-woven floral wreath* Peace, brother.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    5GUvgLQ.gif

BmFUn6M.gif

i1RLQfG.gif

ETA:Gif form of saying "Whatever"
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    nvm..dead horse is dead.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    OP - pay attention to the stuff and the people that you like and ignore the rest.

Simples.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    In for the butthurt...oh and for future reference please use this form instead of another "you people are mean posts"

butthurt-report-form-internet-version_zps7ee4bf9f.jpg
  • jeffd247
    jeffd247 Posts: 319 Member
    225px-Internet_argument.png

You're dealing with a lot of this kind of person...
  • KeViN_v2pt0
    KeViN_v2pt0 Posts: 375 Member
    Isn't this supposed to be a place of support? Time after time I see threads of success and someone rips them a new one for doing it differently then themselves. TDEE isn't for everyone. Paleo isn't for everyone. High carb high sugar eat everything in moderation isn't for everyone. But, no, people with zero medical skill pipe in about how wrong someone's diet choices are. Seriously, how awful is that? Can't we just say, "RIGHT ON!" and move along? What kind of a support system IS this?!

WHERE ARE MY POSITIVE PEOPLE AT?!

well see...the thing is that people spout all kinds of nonsense that isn't backed by any kind of science and can often be dangerous to other naive users...so some people like to point out that nonsense and actually feel that that is more supportive then just letting someone do something that's actually stupid, might be dangerous...might be a waste of time and money, etc. Most of us are also blunt and don't **** rainbows and daisies either...

also...

new.gif

Should I just clarify... I'm not saying that telling someone, "you probably shouldn't eat 300 calories a day of pure fat and then work out 600 hours" is negative. That IS supportive. All I'm saying is, someone will say "I lost 30lbs low carb! Yay!" And then some self righteous turd will come right behind them and say something like, "Oh that's funny because I lost 34lbs eating whatever I wanted at 2000 calories".

WHAT? It's when people interject that their way is OBVIOUSLY better and totally glazing over someone else's success. That, is just plain rude.

And creating a thread like this is such a great example of being positive, supportive and not inviting confrontation?

You also failed to point out but have demonstrated an another thing that's not too popular with the community which is hypocrisy. :nocauliflowerforyou:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    I'm going to answer this question as I just witnessed this on my totally inncocent post regarding do you log your cleaning?
    People ended up *****ing about hrms and that it's ridiculous to log because it is built into sedenary lifestyle. I stood by my guns and other ladies on that post stating that basically some people don't do 4 hours cleaning or painting and also I only log 30% of Mfp estimate. F******* hate Mfp now was supposed to be a place of support for me to slim down for my wedding, but thanks to these negative pains in my *kitten* I'm done. I'm only using my diary now.. Peace out

well, thanks for the lolz.

But seriously, HRMs aren't made for recording housework. Not sure why that fact has everyone's jimmies rustled.

+1
  • wheird
    OP - pay attention to the stuff and the people that you like and ignore the rest.

Simples.

Solid advice. Only listen to things that support your (usually) common misconceptions as long as they are said nicely.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,654 Member
    Fat and angry, duh.

AND hungry! :bigsmile:
  • wheird
    225px-Internet_argument.png

You're dealing with a lot of this kind of person...

I am that guy.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,319 Member
    Years of programming through violent video games, movies, rock and roll music, and a diet made entirely of sugar and energy drinks.

Oh, Mother, those ARE all the words.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    In for the butthurt...oh and for future reference please use this form instead of another "you people are mean posts"

butthurt-report-form-internet-version_zps7ee4bf9f.jpg

i :heart: u
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Exactly.

Like this guy.

carcliff_1248817c.jpg

Everybody else is all "Hey, stay on the road!" and "Drive with your eyes open!"

I'm like, "Hey, all. Chill out. Roads aren't for everybody. Driving with your eyes open isn't for everybody. Who needs all this negativity? YOU DRIVE WHERE YOU WANNA' DRIVE, BUDDY! WAY TO GO!!"
  • Nikkip130
    Nikkip130 Posts: 18 Member
    WOW I so agree with you, and BTW I do have medical background :)):smooched:
  • I'm new here and I've only been looking through these forums for the past week; however, I agree with SarahMakePretty to an extent. From my experience, there is more of a general "rude" undertone here than other weight-loss/health forums I have come across. Whilst I am not saying that everyone here is rude (in fact there are lots of people who are encouraging and helpful here), I feel that the snarkiness comes through much more in MFP than other forums (e.g., 3FC).

Whilst it is not helpful or right to commend someone on habits that are not necessarily healthy, such as eating below 1000 calories, there is a difference between offering constructive criticism and making flat out judgements based on a paragraph of text. For example, to call out on someone that they're an attention seeker when they're ranting that they've binged on 3 spoons of icecream is not being "honest" or "blunt" - it's rude. If they consider that to be a binge, don't demean them for it because their definition of binging is different from yours. (FYI, I don't consider that binging but I digress.)

A part of being a supportive community is not only to offer (sound) advice, but also to show empathy and tolerance. Certainly people are entitled to their own beliefs and to disagree with others, but again there's a fine line between having a reasonable discussion and dismissing someone's POV. Also, everyone here is at different stages in their weight-loss/health journey - in terms of motivation, determination, support, etc. - and it's worth being mindful of that. Anyway, that's just my two cents.

SarahMakePretty, it may be worth being involved in other forums if you find MFP to be too negative. Ignoring helps too. :)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member

You may find married life difficult.

+1
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member

Oh, Mother, those ARE all the words.

Well hell...my job is done. I'm gonna have a sandwich and a beer. Nothing more positive than that!
This discussion has been closed.