Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• kris1085
    kris1085 Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Hello i am back and i am determined to be on this message board alot ! I deffently get alot of support from everyone ! I am starting a strict 1200 calorie diet monday !
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Good Morning. I've had a couple of challenging days, but managed to stay under goal by using some of the exercise calories. It looks like my rate of weight loss right now is averaging about 1/2 # a week. I'll take it. I'm riding my little pedaler every day for 30 min. It feels like my knees are getting stronger, but I am not seeing any relief in the pain. I wish that I knew what the problem is. As long as I can still get in my walks, I'm not complaining (not much anyway). :wink:
    You all continue to inspire me. Keep up the good work.
    Onward and downward. Kaye
  • LFerris06850
    Options
    Just starting my new journey. Learning to read labels and count calories and the app for MFP has helped SOOOO much. Still learning how to use that.

Looking for support and tips on exercises that do not require a lot of standing or walking due to arthritis issues and ankle injury.

So, long story short -- HELLO from a newbie and I am glad to be on this journey. 5 pounds down—it's a start
  • michelleborman50
    michelleborman50 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am spending this weekend doing my fall cleaning and some deep cleaning on this house. I truly do not like the smell of bleach. :grumble:

Saturday Success: I was the lady who would drive around the wal-mart parking lot a dozen times to get a parking spot close because I certainly didn't want to walk. I am very happy to say I am getting back 15 minutes of my life per wal-mart shopping trip because I no longer worry about needing a close parking spot....lol

I hope everyone is enjoying their Saturday!

@naceto Happy to hear the scale is moving again. One of my biggest worries is hitting a plateau and being strong enough to
    get through it. Congrats to you!

@nettie Hope you aren't soar for long. Maybe a long soak in a tub would help?

@tlh0407 Fresh donuts would be hard to pass up. That showed some strength

@grandmakaye Knee pain can sure put a damper on exercise. Keep it up though! Hopefully the pain will go away soon!

@melwillbeheal and @kris1085-Welcome back. I am pretty new to this thread but these ladies sure have become part of my life.

@Lferris Welcome! I think you will find this very helpful and an amazing source of support during your journey!
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! I've had a busy couple of days that have kept me away from the thread--I just skimmed through, and it looks like a lot of determination and success, so congrats to all!

Thursday Truth:
    Been reading nicole's posts about quitting smoking, and have to fess up that I've had a bit of a backslide in that area. As most of you know, I quit using the e-cig in March and was completely free of the e-cig by May. I spent the summer doing really well--a bummed cig here or there, but managed to hang tough. When I went up to Lake Geneva in Oct. I bought a pack and smoked it all in a matter of 3 or 4 days. After that, I started bumming my husband's--about 1-2 per day. I finally went and bought a new e-cig lat Sunday and promptly lost it. :grumble: Bummed again from DH then the drama with my MIL started on Tuesday. Totally used the situation as an excuse and on Wednesday I broke down and bought another pack on the way home from work and have been smoking that pack all week. :blushing: I'm going to buy another e-cig and stop smoking the real ones as soon as this pack is gone. We can do this nicole!! :drinker:

Will be back to do Friday Fitness and Saturday Success later; gunner is bugging me for a walk before it gets dark.
  • susan2396
    susan2396 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    @ Robin and others - Thanks!! Not only were there donuts on Friday, but all week there were Double Chocolate Chip Muffins and not those stupid mini ones either - major big ones. I walked by those every day as well and didn't take one bite. It's not that I couldn't have a bite or one of those as long as I log the calories, but it was more the principle, will power, determination or whatever you want to call it to not take a bite. I am slowly learning and will always be a work in progress.

Saturday Success: Week wasn't too bad eating and exercise. I think this week was the mental journey. When you don't see the scale move or think you should be losing faster than you do, this is really the hardest battle to overcome in my opinion. I just have to keep pushing through every single day. Baby steps. I need to get out and enjoy this amazing weather before it gets dark at 5:00. Enjoy your weekend!!
  • susan2396
    susan2396 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    No Excuses Quote of the Day!

"We have to get rid of excuses, no matter why you are the way you are, don't let it be an excuse to stay that way." - Joyce Meyer
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    Hi, I'm back. It's great to see some old friends back on the thread--welcome back kris and mel. :flowerforyou:

Friday Fitness:
    Not much in this dept. due to a crazy busy week. Had parent/teacher conferences thurs. night , then friday went to dinner with some colleagues and we all went to see the school play. I had about 10 or 12 students in the cast and crew, so I wanted to support them and go see the show. Combine that with several days of yucky, rainy weather and it's been a slow week for fitness.

Today, I went to a Wiggleworms class with my niece. It's this really cute toddler class of singing and playing.. My sister, bil, and niece walked there and back about a half mile each way, so at least I got a bit of exercise. This afternoon, I took gunner for a nice long walk--his first with me since tues.

Saturday Success:
    As promised, I went out and bought a new e-cig, so finishing the last real one tonight and after that, I'm back on the wagon. I guess that will have to be my saturday success b/c I don't have much else to report.

Tomorrow my DH wants to go watch the Bears game someplace, so I plan to get up semi-early to hit the gym in the morning. I have dinner plans with some friends which should be fun. I don't have too much grading--especially considering it's a long weekend. :bigsmile:

Grading Goals:
    1. 6/53 vocabulary
    2. 40/73 AP journals

Exercise goals:
    Mon-=walk gunner NOT DONE (blood donation) DONE
    Tues--walk gunner NOT DONE (rain) + gym (lift and HIIT) DONE
    Wed--walk gunner NOT DONE (rain) + gym (lift and HIIT) NOT DONE
    Thurs--nada--Parent.Teacher conferences until 7 pm
    Fri--walk gunner NOT DONE
    Sat--walk gunner DONE + gym (lift and HIIT) NOT DONE
    Sun--walk gunner + gym (lift and 5k or HIIT)

Exercise & Weight:
    Bench press = 70
    Dead lift = 70
    Squat = 75
    Overhead press = 50

Upright row = 40 (kettle bell)
    Overhead tricep extension = 25 (dumbbell)
    Bicep curl = 15 (dumbbell)
    Lat pull down = 100
    Tricep pull down = 90
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Holly- Great job on losing the weight.

Robin- Sorry to hear that you are still dealing with the awful about the mouth pain! Did the dentist check for plaque on your teet near the gum-line. My mom had a build up of plaque on one tooth and it was starting to hurt her like a toothache. They cleaned her teeth and it was much better.

Michelle- Congrats, on the 2lb loss this week.

Sjacobs- Congrats, on the lost this week.

Nettie- A walk on your rest days is fine just don’t push it for speed, enjoy it. Just try to avoid the weights so your muscles have time to heal. Sore muscles show that progress is happening however, they are also uncomfortable. A trick I have learned is to take a hot bat with 1 cup of apple cider vinegar. It pulls out the stiffness from the muscles. I have used it many times especially when my muscles are sore.

LFerris- Welcome!.

My dad is improving and he was up and walking yesterday during his PT session. I am not sure when he will be released from the hospital and if he will be able to come or head to a rehab center. He has a skin and bladder infection. The doctors switched him insulin before he was taking pills to manage it. It has been a long couple of days but it has been quiet at home.

Today, I had a great workout in the morning with water aerobics and swimming. Yesterday, I did go rock climbing but my arms were like lead. Not a fun way to climb, I think it was the intensity of workouts last week that caused the feeling. Today they are better but will get some time off tomorrow since I plan to go bike riding if it doesn’t rain. Tonight, I had a slight scare because I ate a bowl of chili and my lips started to swell. I did not like the feeling so took some Benydryl and it has helped. There is an unknown food or spice that makes my lips swell but it happens infrequently and I thought it was cranberry. At this point, it must be some time of spice or green pepper that I am allergic too. I was not too worried about this incident since I realized it was happening and I was heading to the hospital to visit my dad. The swelling is down and it feels better.

Have a great weekend.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    @ Robin and others - Thanks!! Not only were there donuts on Friday, but all week there were Double Chocolate Chip Muffins and not those stupid mini ones either - major big ones. I walked by those every day as well and didn't take one bite. It's not that I couldn't have a bite or one of those as long as I log the calories, but it was more the principle, will power, determination or whatever you want to call it to not take a bite.

Seriously, Robin is right. You are an absolute inspiration and I swear ...secretly Superwoman.
    No Excuses Quote of the Day!

"We have to get rid of excuses, no matter why you are the way you are, don't let it be an excuse to stay that way." - Joyce Meyer

LOVE HER!
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    Nettie - Isn't a kitchen scale great - it gives you such a sense of security, knowing your portions are correct! Hope you're feeling a little better by now - hugs. BTW - you HAVE come a long way in a short time!

tlh - congrats on sticking below 250 - WOOT to you! Have fun swimming your laps and not having to supervise the kidlets!

Mel - good to see you again and nice to see you've kept off 6 lbs.

Kris - welcome back - its always good to have your positive energy around. COme back more often!

Kaye - how frustrating to hear your pain is sticking around despite your best efforts to pedal it away - You've probably explored every avenue of pain meds, and glucosamine chondroitin and fish oil, haven't you? Have they re-scanned your knees post-operatively? I think you said they did that already....I wish I had an easy answer for you! At least you are able to say you're losing SOMETHING per week, even if its just 1/2 pound, the scale is moving for you! Rejoice!

LFerris - welcome - this is a great group for you! Most standing exercises can be modified to be done sitting in a chair. That's how I started out. Go to YouTube and Search for Chair Exercises or Sitting Exercises- you'll find plenty to start with.

michelleborma - you made me laugh when you told your story about reclaiming 15 minutes of shopping time at Walmart! :laugh:

Skinny - what an odd week for you - don't usually see you not exercise much - or get caught in a smoking cycle either! Glad you got the e-cig and are tackling that problem head on! You're a strong personality, I can't see you failing at this :bigsmile:

Laurie - I'm getting my teeth cleaned before the end of the year - good thinking. Said a prayer for your dad. Hoping things get better fast. Wow - that swelling of the lips after chili is just scary - like you say, lucky you were headed to the hospital, good destination. Huh, first you thought it was cranberries, now this....did you know who prepared the chili? Can you find out exactly what ingredients? Anyway, glad you're feeling better.
  • grandmakaye44
    Options
    Robin--I talked to my SIL, the PT assitant. He said that sometimes the muscles around the kneecaps are too tight and it causes pain because the kneecaps can't move the way they are supposed to. It makes sense and fits with the kind of pain I am experiencing. He said to use heat to relax the muscles and then massage my knees when I am sitting down in my recliner. I did that tonight and will continue that for awhile. Hoping for good results.
    I'm getting a cold! I haven't been sick in forever and I'm pretty grouchy about this. Hope it doesn't last long.
    Have a good Sunday. I will probably spend it sitting around.
    Onward and downward. Kaye
  • naceto
    naceto Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! I've had a busy couple of days that have kept me away from the thread--I just skimmed through, and it looks like a lot of determination and success, so congrats to all!

Thursday Truth:
    Been reading nicole's posts about quitting smoking, and have to fess up that I've had a bit of a backslide in that area. As most of you know, I quit using the e-cig in March and was completely free of the e-cig by May. I spent the summer doing really well--a bummed cig here or there, but managed to hang tough. When I went up to Lake Geneva in Oct. I bought a pack and smoked it all in a matter of 3 or 4 days. After that, I started bumming my husband's--about 1-2 per day. I finally went and bought a new e-cig lat Sunday and promptly lost it. :grumble: Bummed again from DH then the drama with my MIL started on Tuesday. Totally used the situation as an excuse and on Wednesday I broke down and bought another pack on the way home from work and have been smoking that pack all week. :blushing: I'm going to buy another e-cig and stop smoking the real ones as soon as this pack is gone. We can do this nicole!! :drinker:

Will be back to do Friday Fitness and Saturday Success later; gunner is bugging me for a walk before it gets dark.

Yay! Are you going to get flavors? I have a few different flavors, but currently, grape is my favorite! Like I said, I will still have a couple of cigs here or there and I don't beat myself up. Eventually, I know I will no longer want any of the analog smokes! :bigsmile: We CAN do this, and we will. It is so easy with the e-cig. :drinker:
  • naceto
    naceto Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Found a GREAT article about cravings- The highlights (link at the bottom):

When a craving rears its ugly head, here are questions to ask yourself. (These can be posted on your fridge or cabinet door to help you every time a craving strikes.)

1. What is my hunger level?

On a scale of 1 to 10, ask yourself how hungry you really are. You can do this simply by paying attention to physical sensations you feel in your body that are letting you know if you’re body needs food… or something else entirely.

2. What have I eaten today?

Consider what you’ve already consumed and how much. Think about protein, carbohydrates, fats, hydration, etc. Try to learn about what your body might be lacking and try to fulfill that deficiency first.

3. What is my mood?

Hone in on your emotional status. Are you feeling overwhelmed, tired, angry, unsupported? Food will only make you feel better short-term. Get support from others or find healthier ways to cope in these moments.

4. What are my options?

Along with these questions post a list of alternative things you can do that are healthy choices. Examples include going for a walk, playing with your pet, sipping tea, asking for a hug, chewing gum, taking a nap, or simply tuning in to some quiet time. If none of these options will help, check the Sensory Swap graph below for some alternatives to common cravings.

SENSORY SWAPS

What are you Craving? Examples Try instead…

Chewy Cookies, brownies Oatmeal bars, dried fruit

Bubbly Soda, beer, Champagne Kombucha, water kefir, sparkling water;

Crunchy Chips, crackers Crisp veggies like carrot sticks

Cold Ice cream; Milk shakes Frozen bananas, smoothies

Creamy Pudding; Creamed soups Greek yogurt, avocados

Tangy Salad dressing; Ketchup Lemon juice, salsa

5. Could I be satisfied with just half of what I was planning to eat?

You might decide that it feels right to give in to the craving this time, but that doesn’t mean you have to sabotage your health. Try eating a smaller portion of the food you’re craving. If you really must have a cookie, would half a cookie be enough?

Keep in mind the goal here is to eliminate shame around eating and getting your needs met. So even if you get through all these questions but decide you really, really do need a cookie and not a nap, just know that it’s not the end of the world. You now have an opportunity to make healthier choices for the rest of the day.

Ultimately, if you’re eating a well balanced meal with the right nutrition for your body then cravings won’t be a common thing for you.

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-10244/constantly-craving-sugar-salt-or-fat-read-this.html

I got the above from this awesome foodie blog: http://www.savouringstella.blogspot.com/search/label/basics
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Sunday share-
    My husband's muffler is loose on his truck so we took it into Nissan yesterday to get fixed. It turns out there is a lot wrong with the truck and would cost several thousand to repair. (Muffler, axles etc) Considering the truck is 13 years old we opted not to fix it. Both of our cars are the same age and we knew we would be replacing them within the next year or so, we just didn't realize it would be right now. Considering we just did a complete gut and renovation of our master bathroom we don't have the extra money at the moment for a down payment on a vehicle. We decided it would be in our best interest to lease a new car for him. Needless to say, we spent yesterday car shopping. (I wore my fitbit to track my steps walking around the lots. LOL) We had it narrowed down to 3 vehicles - 2 Toyota's and a Nissan. The man at Toyota spent 2.5 hours with us, explained everything to us about leasing, gave us 4 price quotes (2 with money down, 2 with no money down) for the 2 vehicles we were interested in. All the while knowing we were still shopping and were going to check out a few other dealers after him. He was absolutely wonderful and didn't make us feel pressured at all. After Toyota we drove down the road to Nissan (to pick up his truck and see a sales person). The sales guy was extremely pushy. He flat out told us he wouldn't give us price quotes unless we agreed to sign a lease today. He did offer us a good deal on the Rogue 0 money down, sign and drive kind of deal with reasonable monthly payments and trade in hubby's truck. He laughed at me and avoided my question when I asked him about hidden costs and fees. My husband then said "My wife brought up a really good point. That is a good deal but I am concerned about the hidden costs and fees. Are there any?" The man responded with "So are you going to sign? You can walk away today with that car. Just leave your truck here and walk out with a brand new vehicle. All you have to do is agree to sign." My husband responded with "I have to discuss it with my wife first." The salesman walked into the other room so we could chat. As much as I love love love the Rogue and that is what I dream of replacing my old Toyota with, I expressed my concerns to Brian. I didn't like that he was very pushy, I disliked that he laughed at my question and refused to give me an answer, I didn't like that he wouldn't give us any price quotes unless we agreed to sign a lease. He was just too sketchy and you could tell he was pressuring us to buy so he got his commission on the sale. We waited for a few minutes for him to return so we could tell him no but he didn't. We ended up getting up and walking out. I would have loved to see the expression on the salesman's face when he came back to his desk and saw that we left. I hate when sales people are like that. :angry: All he did was make our decision easier for us. Now we have it narrowed down Toyota. My husband just has to make his decision between the two vehicles we test drove.

kah68- Thanks. I took it easy yesterday. Last night my chest muscles were killing me. It hurt to move my arms. I ended up sitting with the heating pad on my chest then I laid down in bed on my back, put my arms up over my head and fell asleep. I suppose that stretched me out because I woke up a few hours later and felt like a new person! I skipped my Saturday date with Gilad because it was arms. I feel so much better so I am going to attempt to do the workout today instead.

tlh - I have never heard of a donut cake before. What exactly is that? A cake made out of donuts? I am very intrigued. If you haven't noticed...I LOVE FOOD. :laugh:

Mel- Good for you. Keep it up. You can do this!

Kris- Welcome!

Grandmakay- Sorry to hear you are not getting any relief from the pain. I hope you do soon. I love though that you keep at it, never give up and always have something positive to say. You inspire me as well! Keep up the great work.

LFerris - Welcome!

Michelle- LOL. That is great. The other day I went to the store and thought oh crumbs there are no close spots (and it was cold). Then I pulled into a spot and parked far away. As I was walking I thought- that worked out well. I am burning a few extra calories. Hey, whatever works! :wink:

Skinnyjeanz - I would imagine it is difficult to quit smoking with that stress and being that your husband is a smoker. I give you a lot of credit for seeing where you went wrong and making a step to change it. I wish you the best of luck!

Laurie - Thanks for the tip. I have never heard of that before. I will definitely try that next time I am feeling sore. Glad to hear your dad is improving. Rock climbing sounds like fun. I have never tried it but it is on my bucket list!

Robin - Yes it is. My husband and I were so surprised at how much smaller actually portions are compared to what we typically eat. It was a real eye opener for us. Now I weigh everything I put in my body.

naceto - Thanks for sharing the article. It was great!
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    @nettie--I would absolutely never buy a car from someone who treated me that way. I say if you really want the Rogue, when you are ready to replace your vehicle, either go to a different dealer or demand a different salesperson. Also, I would never buy a car without going through a Consumer Reports price report. It shows you the price the dealer paid, including any manufacturer rebates, etc., so you can calculate what to offer. They recommend their bottom line price plus either a 2, 4, or 6% commission for the salesperson. When we bought my last car, I offered bottom line plus 4% and skipped the hassle of haggling. Also, with the last vehicle (DH's jeep), I was able to go to the dealerships online, tell them what exact vehicle we wanted (including color), and get quotes. A nearby dealership had the vehicle in stock and quoted the lowest price plus 4%, so we went with them. Because we had already negotiated the price online, all we had to do was test-drive and then sign paperwork. It was so easy. You can either buy the reports for each vehicle you are considering, or you can do a 1-month online subscription and have unlimited access for that entire month. Don't do it ahead of time though! The manufacturers rebates change regularly, do the price today will be different than the price in a few months. You want to get the report within a week or 2 of actually buying.

@nicole--I just use the disposable Blu Menthol. I've tried some of the flavors (my friend's DH uses them), but I'm not a big fan. Thanks for sharing the article!

@kaye--Have you ever tried zicam? I was very skeptical of it, but my sister talked me into it and I think it really does help lessen the severity and length of the cold. The problem is you need to take it right when you 1st suspect the cold coming on, or it's not as effective.

@robin--yes, it's been a weird week. I feel like the weather, and my schedule, and my MIL all ganged up on me. :laugh: Fortunately, it's a new week, and although I have another round of parent/teacher conferences on Wed., I get Mon. off so it should balance out.

@laurie--Glad to hear your dad is improving. :flowerforyou: I remember you talking about that allergic reaction before--it's so scary that you still haven't figured out what's causing it. I think I mentioned last time that I had a similar response when I first started using soymilk. I was excited to have found something to replace milk (b/c I loved cereal but hated milk) that I was eating cereal twice a day. All of that soy make my lips swell up and tingle. I backed off eating it for a few days, and reintroduced the soymilk more slowly. Never had a problem after that. It would be nice if you could figure out what's causing your reaction so you could either eliminate it or build up your tolerance.

Sunday Share:
    I'm karen from Chicago. I'm a diehard football fan, so it's hard to give up my Sundays in front of the tv; however, I've managed to time my workouts so I can watch while working out at the gym. Today Bears play the Lions in a pretty important game since their records are tied, along with the Pack. Wins and losses this week are going to rattle the rankings. DH asked if I would come watch the game at a bar where he and his friends occasionally go have a beer after work. He's never invited me to "his" bar before, so I feel like I should go. My plan is to hit the gym this morning to get the workout out of the way.

This afternoon, I will get some errands and grading done before meeting some friends for dinner.

Exercise goals:
    Mon--walk gunner NOT DONE (blood donation) DONE
    Tues--walk gunner NOT DONE (rain) + gym (lift and HIIT) DONE
    Wed--walk gunner NOT DONE (rain) + gym (lift and HIIT) NOT DONE
    Thurs--nada--Parent.Teacher conferences until 7 pm
    Fri--walk gunner NOT DONE
    Sat--walk gunner DONE + gym (lift and HIIT) NOT DONE
    Sun--walk gunner + gym (lift and 5k or HIIT)

Exercise & Weight:
    Bench press = 70
    Dead lift = 70
    Squat = 75
    Overhead press = 50

Upright row = 40 (kettle bell)
    Overhead tricep extension = 25 (dumbbell)
    Bicep curl = 15 (dumbbell)
    Lat pull down = 100
    Tricep pull down = 90
  • grandmakaye44
    Options
    I think that today is going to be a long day! I've been up coughing since before 4 am. Too sick to go to church, too, so it will really be a long day! I hope this passes fast. I'll have my kiddos tomorrow.
    To make matters worse, I'm starving! I'll probably go over on calories today, because I won't be very active, and I am going to have to eat. Contemplating making a smoothie right now.
    Have a great day. Kaye
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Sunday share-
    My husband's muffler is loose on his truck so we took it into Nissan yesterday to get fixed. It turns out there is a lot wrong with the truck and would cost several thousand to repair. (Muffler, axles etc) Considering the truck is 13 years old we opted not to fix it. Both of our cars are the same age and we knew we would be replacing them within the next year or so, we just didn't realize it would be right now. Considering we just did a complete gut and renovation of our master bathroom we don't have the extra money at the moment for a down payment on a vehicle. We decided it would be in our best interest to lease a new car for him. Needless to say, we spent yesterday car shopping. (I wore my fitbit to track my steps walking around the lots. LOL) We had it narrowed down to 3 vehicles - 2 Toyota's and a Nissan. The man at Toyota spent 2.5 hours with us, explained everything to us about leasing, gave us 4 price quotes (2 with money down, 2 with no money down) for the 2 vehicles we were interested in. All the while knowing we were still shopping and were going to check out a few other dealers after him. He was absolutely wonderful and didn't make us feel pressured at all. After Toyota we drove down the road to Nissan (to pick up his truck and see a sales person). The sales guy was extremely pushy. He flat out told us he wouldn't give us price quotes unless we agreed to sign a lease today. He did offer us a good deal on the Rogue 0 money down, sign and drive kind of deal with reasonable monthly payments and trade in hubby's truck. He laughed at me and avoided my question when I asked him about hidden costs and fees. My husband then said "My wife brought up a really good point. That is a good deal but I am concerned about the hidden costs and fees. Are there any?" The man responded with "So are you going to sign? You can walk away today with that car. Just leave your truck here and walk out with a brand new vehicle. All you have to do is agree to sign." My husband responded with "I have to discuss it with my wife first." The salesman walked into the other room so we could chat. As much as I love love love the Rogue and that is what I dream of replacing my old Toyota with, I expressed my concerns to Brian. I didn't like that he was very pushy, I disliked that he laughed at my question and refused to give me an answer, I didn't like that he wouldn't give us any price quotes unless we agreed to sign a lease. He was just too sketchy and you could tell he was pressuring us to buy so he got his commission on the sale. We waited for a few minutes for him to return so we could tell him no but he didn't. We ended up getting up and walking out. I would have loved to see the expression on the salesman's face when he came back to his desk and saw that we left. I hate when sales people are like that. :angry: All he did was make our decision easier for us. Now we have it narrowed down Toyota. My husband just has to make his decision between the two vehicles we test drove.

What a terrible experience. I can say I had a similar problem with Nissan many years ago and subsequently bought a Toyota. I was at a Nissan dealership for nearly half a day trying to negotiate a price I thought was fair and ended up walking out, I was looking at the Murano at the time but ended up with a Toyota Rav4 (which I love). Beforehand, I used www.edmunds.com to research exactly what the car was worth including the options I wanted - going in with that ammunition makes the buying experience much more enjoyable. I think I was in/out of Toyota within a couple of hours, paying the price I thought was fair. Good luck!
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    Kaye - Its awful that you're getting sicker - hit the chicken soup and stay bundled up today and don't worry about your calories, getting well is so much more important. The virus that's going around is really a strong one.

Nettie - what an asshat that Nissan salesman was - glad you walked out on him! The Toyota sounds like an excellent decision - hope you get a good deal!

AFM - My wonderful friend Mary came to visit me last evening and spent the nite. She brought me some oral anesthetic she had been given by her Dr. - it was great but only lasted for 10 minutes and can only be taken every 4 hours. I will ask my Dr. about taking it though, 10 minutes of being pain free is quite a gift! She spent the night because she brought some Baileys and drank quite a bit, hoping it would help my pain, but alcohol hurts so I didn't. drink. We had a great time laughing and talking though - god bless good friends!

I did something this week where a lightbulb went off over my head - I needed lots of household supplies - detergents, cleaners, TP, tissues, yet I was feeling so poorly I didn't want to go to the store. So I got online at Walmart dot com and I could order EVERYTHING I wanted - even BLEACH - and they would ship it to me, and any order over $50 ships free. Well, my order was $70 so yippy-skippy. And it came in 2 days, no I did not order priority shipping. Right to my door. No going through loading a cart, through a check out lane, loading and unloading a car, and hauling into the house. What a great convenience when your feeling poorly! Yep, when its a blizzard outside, this is my go-to plan!
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    @kaye--I agree with robin--don't worry about your calories, just focus on getting better. Also, even though you're not getting any exercise, I've read that our bodies burn more calories when we're sick--I guess it takes more energy for the body to heal itself. Granted that may be offset by a more sedentary day, but at least you can assume you are burning as much as if you had a moderately active day of cleaning, shopping, walking, etc.