What's going on with the MFP bad attitudes? :(

Options

Replies

• ItsAliciaMarie
    Options
    I think there is merit on both sides (hear me out before you start yelling!). There are people who post really bad weight loss ideas, ask for people's opinions, and get butthurt when people tell them they are wrong and their plan is a terrible one. I have limited sympathy for these people. if you ask what people think of your idea, expect to find out what they think about your idea.

But there does seem to be a contingent on here (and every forum, I am so not singling out MFP) that is itching for a chance to put someone down or hurt their feelings. Ad hominem attacks, intentionally taking things way out of context, and spiteful attitudes are not "truth" and they are not effective ways to argue.

I admit to finding some of the sarcastic remarks clever, even when they are directed at me, but most are just mean and extremely arrogant. It doesn't feel like an attempt at humour, just a venting of bile. Maybe if you asked yourself what would happen if you said this to someone in real life, you would know if you should say it online. If the person would be somewhat embarrassed, and say "touche", it's probably pithy. If they would run off crying and not come back, or punch you in the face, perhaps you should keep it to yourself.

Am I on the same forum? I often see reference to these kind of posts and groups of people but I never see links to examples of it and I haven't seen it myself. I do see the odd rude remark but it is usually from an account with few posts and the generic avatar. Plus people tend to call them out, like people have done on this thread.

OP - I don't understand. If this is the post you are talking about, I see tons of supportive nice posts. There are some that say things you may not want to hear but I don't see the rude judgemental posts.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/964885-okay-i-m-a-big-baby

FTR - if you aren't looking for feedback, rants don't usually go over well here. People will give you feedback if posted on the forums. If that's not what you are looking for, maybe the blog feature might be a better option.

MAN, that's an old thread. I just like how the OP ends as /rant thus describing itself as a rant and contains a reference to another rant. That saved me time in looking up whether this OP was a ranty type person.

Ex of being judemental ^
    This post and the other one I referenced I believe have only been my "ranty" posts. But feel free to creep through the rest and see if you can find some more. I am definitely not intending to be a ranty person, but instead call out myself when it does happen.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad that you posted this. I don't post at all because of the sarcastic, rude people on here. People come here for advice and motivation. I honestly don't think they would ask questions if they knew the answers. What they get is rude commentary from people who think everyone must think the same way they do. At first I enjoyed reading posts in the community. Now I rarely read because of this very thing.

Mama must not have taught them the same thing mama taught me.... if you can't say something nice... you know the rest...

I wonder if Mama would have approved of this post . . .
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    There does seem to be a clique of people who have been here for a while and have long since reached goal and have a lot of good knowlege to share with us new people.

I think the problem is that it's hard, psychologically, to remember that each new person who asks about their 1200 calorie diet or the caloric demon of the day is new, really is confused and has been bombarded by sensationalized information regarding nutrition.

It's a conversation that they have had a thousand times before, and they seem to be treating all these people as the same person, who happens to be frustratingly slow to learn to use the search button but quick to make a mean people thread

I understand this, to an extent, as I work in technical support and I have to make a large effort to remember that each new person who has no idea where to begin with their smartphone has not heard the 1000 other conversations I've had on the subject.

Combine this with the fact that they all seem to be friends, see each other's comments and tend to pile on, and you get an environment that seems hostile to newbies.

Also, a lot of them are young/old and have worked hard to get and remain fit, tend to lift heavy and try to stop people doing stupid fad diets and get them to see that weight loss can be simple.

The best advice for noobs, including myself, is to do your best to search previous topics before posting. And if you do post keep and open mind about the answers you get as there is normally excellent advice in the replies.

It's a shame, because we all do like the one on one attention and getting our specific questions answered.

Also, don't be one of those people who posts just to get validation. If you already "know" the answer and you are not going to change your mind, then don't "ask" about it.

FIFY

Okay, I creeper your profile:
    Under 40, Check
    Lifting heavy: check
    Only had 11 lb to lose: check
    thousands of posts: check
    5 out of 6 friends that show all seem to be under 40 and have 1000s of posts and, from what I remember of them, lift heavy.

I understand that there are lost of people on this site from different backgrounds, but there does seem to be an extended group of people with these characteristics who have gotten exceedingly tired of "stupid fad diets".

I don't blame you for this, I have received a lot of useful advice from this group, but I can see how someone new here, who has been told by everybody else that 1200 cals is the proper dieting level for women, that paleo is the way to go and that cardiovascular is what you need may be off put when people fail to answer her questions with patience.

Sorry my age appears to be an issue for you :ohwell:

I have more than 6 friends - and I don't pick them by age or activities.

I do lft heavy but I also run and bike - I'm planning on doing a tri next year. I like a balance.

I didn't have only 11lbs to lose - I reset my ticker - that's just my current goal.

Everyone should be tired of stupid fad diets.

And if you have received lots of good advice from this group - I don't really see what your issue is.

Oh and I have 1000's of posts as I like to try to help people - not just whine and moan and create mean people threads. But people and threads like this make me wonder why I bother.

Oh and you add the tone to the posts you read - think about it.

Well, here is an example.

Besides having received helpful advice. I didn't mean any of that.

You "fixed" my post. That seemed snarky. I know you might not mean it that way.

This is exactly my point. I posted an opinion, you "corrected" it. I used you as an example as what *I* as a new person have encountered. You took what I said out of context. Probably thinking I was snarking on you, which I get.

This all creates for an environment that can seem hostile.

This is not my intention. I promise.

By fixing it I simply gave my opinon in reponse in a different manner.

Then what did you mean by all the little "checks" next to my attributes - they all looked like reasons I'm either a bully/mean/shouldn't post.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    *opens thread*
    *sees*

You are ignoring this user

*closes thread*
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

I didn't know you could do that - thanks!
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    *opens thread*
    *sees*

*closes thread*

I suspect this says more about you than the people you are ignoring. Especially since you felt the need to post this.

*Wonders if she will see this post - realises she doesn't care*
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Okay. What I mean is, how a post is read can vary greatly depending on circumstances. If you have been here a long time and you have a lot of friends and feel at home, you're not going to be as sensitive to sarcasm or criticism. You're just not. To you, this is a safe place, you know the rules, you have more information regarding nutrition and fitness in general and you have seen all the posts before, sometimes 1000s of times.

If you are new here, you are often alone. You may not know much yet and this place does not feel safe yet.

When these new people ask questions, that the old people are going to find tiresome by this point, the new person may read the blunt and to the point answers of the old people as hostile, especially if they are piled on. The old people won't see it this way, they already feel safe here and are "just talking".

The only reason I pointed out the similarities of what I see as the old group (of which I may have been mistaken) is to show that they are used to people like them with similar experience, and this can cause it to be more difficult to empathize with the fear and uncertainty of someone who is new.
    This sounds reasonable enough, except it isn't consistent with the reality I've observed. I've known plenty of people (myself included) who go to a new forum, read a few posts, and jump right in, and are comfortable. And I've seen plenty of people who have been on a forum a long time and still feel like they are victims.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options

I didn't know you could do that - thanks!

Yep - just click the arrow next to the persons name.

Edit: must edit this post as it could be seen as helpful, and I wouldn't like to change the perceived status quo of the boards.
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Maya Angelou — 'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.'

When people are unhappy with their own lives they're not generous with others.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    But...shades of grey, right?

Preferably 50 of them...
  • mississippisunshine
    Options
    I'm so glad that you posted this. I don't post at all because of the sarcastic, rude people on here. People come here for advice and motivation. I honestly don't think they would ask questions if they knew the answers. What they get is rude commentary from people who think everyone must think the same way they do. At first I enjoyed reading posts in the community. Now I rarely read because of this very thing.

Mama must not have taught them the same thing mama taught me.... if you can't say something nice... you know the rest...

I wonder if Mama would have approved of this post . . .

I don't mean that you shouldn't say what you believe, but being considerate and respectful should be common sense for all people. I would say that upwards of 75% of the people who read these boards don't look like the body in your profile pic. They are here to try to improve their health and feel better about themselves. A little courtesy from everyone isn't too much to ask.
  • jennz81
    jennz81 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    There does seem to be a clique of people who have been here for a while and have long since reached goal or were never overweight to begin with.

I think the problem is that it's hard, psychologically, to remember that each new person who asks about their 1200 calorie diet or the caloric demon of the day is new, really is confused and has been bombarded by sensationalized information regarding nutrition.

It's a conversation that they have had a thousand times before, and they seem to be treating all these people as the same person, who happens to be frustratingly slow to learn.
    I understand this, to an extent, as I work in technical support and I have to make a large effort to remember that each new person who has no idea where to begin with their smartphone has not heard the 1000 other conversations I've had on the subject.

Combine this with the fact that they all seem to be friends, see each other's comments and tend to pile on, and you get an environment that seems hostile to newbies.
    Also, a lot of them are young and have always been fit, tend to lift heavy and forget that not everyone is like them and that people may have different needs.

The best advice for noobs, including myself, is to do your best to search previous topics before posting.
    It's a shame, because we all do like the one on one attention and getting our specific questions answered.

Also, don't be one of those people who posts just to get validation. If you already "know" the answer and you are not going to change your mind, then don't "ask" about it.

Well said. I think the best that anyone can do is take the snark with a grain of salt, and pay attention to the posts made by those who are actually trying to help and/or offer support.
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    But...shades of grey, right?

Preferably 50 of them...

:laugh:
  • umer76
    umer76 Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    If there is a repeated thread and the poster does not know if it has been posted earlier. He/she will receive lots of bashing, not again! kinda attitude. Many times original thread is lost and 2-3 people end up having strong argument about the attitude.

I totally agree it should be courteous environment on here and no body is obliged to reply to threads. if you dont like something dont reply, simple! Keep Calm and Move on:bigsmile:
  • lvigue
    lvigue Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    There are really some really sad people in this world. The reason they are saying those things to you is because there is something DEEPLY wrong with them, not you. It still is hurtful, but keep in mind that these are people who are so miserable with their own lives, they are sitting on this site and making nasty, vile comments to innocent women looking for encouragement. There is a very special place for them :)

*This post is in response to the girl who posted she was looking for dating advice and got a bunch of horrible responses. Don't know why it didn't post under that one.

To the OP, ignore the idiots of the world. It takes a strong and intelligent person to have class and tact, and clearly there are A LOT of people without.
  • GameOfPounds
    GameOfPounds Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Just because some people think they know everything doesn't mean that it's truth.
    Nevermind all these people that think they can make you feel sad or generally bad. Focus on your good fitness pals that are supportive and have a positive aura :)
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    This thread needs more William Shatner...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPBt4IuQEbw
    Riding on their armchairs
    They dream of wealth and fame
    Fear is their companion
    Nintendo is their game
    Never done jack and two thumbs Don
    And sidekick don't say ****
    They'll laugh at others failures
    Though they have not done ****...
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    OP each every day there are similar posts...this was yesterdays ( I may have missed something in between)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1133381-what-s-with-all-the-hate

All I can suggest is if you feel you are being bullied in any way, then report the post to a mod using the report button. Use the ignore function.

There really is no need for people to be rude/inconsiderate to other users.

Take time to use the search button to check out questions you may have as they most likely have been covered. But having said that, you should be able to ask the same questions without people being rude.

Good luck with your weight loss x
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    There does seem to be a clique of people who have been here for a while and have long since reached goal or were never overweight to begin with.

It's a conversation that they have had a thousand times before, and they seem to be treating all these people as the same person, who happens to be frustratingly slow to learn.

Also, a lot of them are young and have always been fit, tend to lift heavy and forget that not everyone is like them and that people may have different needs.

The best advice for noobs, including myself, is to do your best to search previous topics before posting.

Well said. I think the best that anyone can do is take the snark with a grain of salt, and pay attention to the posts made by those who are actually trying to help and/or offer support.

What if those are the same people?

2437170_700b.jpg
    (ETA: dagnabbit...but you get the idea.)
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    *opens thread*
    *sees*