What nationality/ethnicity people have mistaken you?

Options

Replies

• melb_alex
    melb_alex Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    German, English, Lebanese, Armenian, American (California blonde)lol anything but Aussie!:laugh:
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    People assume I'm Hawaiian because I tan easily and because of my long jet black hair. Been asked to hula dance....
    In middle school a girl came up to me "Are you Caucasian?" <-- I'm guessing because she didn't know the meaning of the word.
  • lauraspberry
    lauraspberry Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    When I was in a dating site people always tell me "you're not Asian, you're an Islander why do you put your ethnicity as Asian?" Filipinos are Asian. LOL
  • ANNMARIE4950
    ANNMARIE4950 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    most of the time people has me if I'm cuban
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Asian, Mexican(UGHHH, the people who think all latinos are from Mexico :explode: )
  • xLaPetiteFille
    Options
    I'm Pakistani and half arab, many people mistaken me for Spanish
  • mingecrackers
    Options
    When I had my natural hair colour, I was always getting asked whether I had Native American blood.
    I also got asked the other day if I was Romani.

Sadly not either of those :(
  • StinkyWinkies
    StinkyWinkies Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Wherever I go, seriously - everywhere (!) somebody says "I know you!"
    Of course they don't.
    But I have a "generic" look, and apparently "everybody knows me"!
    So, if you say you know me, I'll tell you "Not likely.... I have a generic look"! :laugh:

^^^THIS! I've had people randomly stop me and start conversations with me before I can say, "sorry, I am not who you think I am"

Mostly, I get told "you look like a nice Catholic Girl." Whatever *that* is suppose to mean. I am 3rd gen german, (1/4 -maternal) scot (1/2 -both) english (1/4 -paternal) I've (or had) dark hair, dark eyes and pale, pale skin.
  • milkyskinn
    milkyskinn Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    In Germany a lot of people seem to think I'm American, in Japan (and some other countries) they thought I was either Russian, french, Irish. American, and some even thought I was half Japanese!
    In the US people sometimes were surprised when I said I was from Europe- I guess my american accent must be awesome :"D
  • Caelrr
    Caelrr Posts: 26
    Options
    EVERYONE thinks I'm Asian. I'm roughly 50% Mexican, %25 Spanish, 20% Irish, 5% Native American. Up until recently, I was always super upset that everybody thought I was Asian. I just wanted to be seen for what I was... then I realized, I'm more Asian than anything else!! I absolutely love Japan & South Korea. So much so that my boyfriend & I would like to move to Japan someday. Now it's okay when somebody says I'm Asian.

A lot of people don't even ask me, & then they group me together with other Asians & are like "Asians like you" or at work are like "It's because you & you are Asian!!" My last name is an obvious Mexican name. I've had a couple Mexicans come up to me & with one glance know I'm Hispanic... but then they start speaking Spanish to me, & I don't know enough to converse with them!! D:
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    - Polish
    - German (tbf one of my grandparents are German, so that's the closest mistake)
    - Austrailian - When my bf and I went to America (Cali) so many people there kept asking if we were Aussie. Wtf? I never understood that so I think the third person who asked, I questioned why and they said they that we were more fun loving that they assumed british people were :/ and we didn't sound like the stereotype for accent either
  • RhushiK
    Options
    Well I'm Indian.. but ppl mistake me for east asian/ arabian.. Judging by my name... sometimes even Japanese.
    I'm actually west Indian, but judging by me name, ppl here think I'm east indian, judging by my built, north-indian..
  • Caelrr
    Caelrr Posts: 26
    Options
    When people ask me what I am, & I tell them Mexican, Spanish, Irish, & Native American... so many people are like "but Mexican & Spanish are the same thing!!" I WANT TO PUNCH THESE PEOPLE IN THE FACE. They're from entirely different continents!!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Canadian but only when I say "about".
  • noemibp
    noemibp Posts: 167
    Options
    German or Irish.
  • DaniNicole321
    Options
    I'm really pale so I don't understand the confusion but I get mistaken for Mexican all the time.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I get mistaken for everything else except mexican. and i'm mexican.
  • honey_bee_keysha
    honey_bee_keysha Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    South African, Ethiopian, or Jamaican.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Asian, Mexican(UGHHH, the people who think all latinos are from Mexico :explode: )

I'm sorry...can you explain why this angers you?
  • Clarissa546
    Options
    The most ridicoulous ones!
    I'm Austrian, but people assume I'm from Eastern Europe, like Hungary, Ukraine or Czech Republic.
    Once some guy even thought I was persian! Couldn't believe my ears
    I'm pale as no one's business, how on earth could I be persian?!