1200cal/day really works.

Options

Replies

• Beata375
    Beata375 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS on your loss! I'm sorry people are being rude and snarky. It's happened to me as well. I don't post much... BECAUSE theres a clique of know-it-all's that are "experts" in their own heads on this message board and they forgot what the word encouragement means and how everyone has to start somewhere...

Congrats on your loss!
  • marilou0511
    marilou0511 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Hi BELINDAJUMO! Great that you are excited on your weight loss! Congrats!:flowerforyou:

I read there's a lot of people upset with the 1200 cals you are on. My company's health insurance offers us wellness coaching. And guess what my health coach (from a major medical insurance company in the US) told me I should be eating to lose weight! 1200-1300cals! This is based on my height (short) and age (older). So there you are, a certified nutritionist advising me to eat at 1200 cals and she's aware of my health issues including diabetes!! At this point, can't do it because I'm just too hungry at that range. And hunger triggers over-eating for me.:ohwell:

Oh, and I've stopped exercising lately due to problems I will be discussing with a podiatrist.
  • belindanjumo
    belindanjumo Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hi BELINDAJUMO! Great that you are excited on your weight loss! Congrats!:flowerforyou:

I read there's a lot of people upset with the 1200 cals you are on. My company's health insurance offers us wellness coaching. And guess what my health coach (from a major medical insurance company in the US) told me I should be eating to lose weight! 1200-1300cals! This is based on my height (short) and age (older). So there you are, a certified nutritionist advising me to eat at 1200 cals and she's aware of my health issues including diabetes!! At this point, can't do it because I'm just too hungry at that range. And hunger triggers over-eating for me.:ohwell:
    Oh really? There we go! So definitely nothing wrong with what am doing especially since I haven't gotten any hunger pangs and its the second week now. I eat snacks between 3 meals like fruit and all. geez some people are just know it all. I do take good advice when given in a constructive manner though. Thanks for the update!
  • 2spamagnet
    2spamagnet Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    It's science - it doesn't matter if you believe it to be true or not. If you have too large a deficit, not enough protein and don't use your muscles then your body WILL take energy from them. Even with all this it will still take some - the goal is to minimise the damage.

So you can do it... If your deficit is not "too large"... Which is subject to debate (what is "too large".)

Get at least 0.8 grams of protein/lb of body weight, do strengthening exercise, and you will maintain (or even grow) your muscle while losing fat. You will be fine with the plan you have.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I can't believe you have that many people hating on your weight loss. Y'all act like she gain 4 pounds.

If she hadn't said "you should do it" in the opening post, things would be different. I would never have commented; to each their own. However, recommending it to others based on one week; NO. Some of us are SICK of seeing unhealthy eating promoted because it does NOT work for the long term nor for optimal health. Some initial quick weight loss, that includes water and muscle, sure... Is that what you want to cheer on? Is "under-eat to lose weight fast" what you want the young women of this generation to learn (just like the previous 3 or so generations)? Not me.
  • arathena720
    arathena720 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    1500 I maintain, 1200 I lose. I don't exercise. It works for me and the small amount (less than 20) of weight I need to lose. Everyone acts like you're going to die if you only eat 1200.
  • belindanjumo
    Options
    For those of you who were keen to know how much I would lose on the second week, I lost4.4lbs. Yes I did! And the fun is, I took some of your advice and wasn't that strict on myself like the week before. I wasn't under 1200cals everyday. So now tell me, is it still water weight or just fat? I am over the moon though
  • Brainless64
    Brainless64 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Can't judge success after one week. Come back when you have been at your goal and on maintenance for at least a year.

Bit harsh
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    For those of you who were keen to know how much I would lose on the second week, I lost4.4lbs. Yes I did! And the fun is, I took some of your advice and wasn't that strict on myself like the week before. I wasn't under 1200cals everyday. So now tell me, is it still water weight or just fat? I am over the moon though

Water, fat and muscle.
  • belindanjumo
    Options

Water, fat and muscle.
    really? Lol
  • Iron_Feline
    Options

Water, fat and muscle.
    really? Lol

Why is that funny? -Even with a small deficit, enough protein and lifting/resistance work some muscle loss is inevitable. It will be less water than the first week and possibly up to equal amounts of muscle and fat.

You asked is it water weight or just fat - I answered.
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options

Water, fat and muscle.
    really? Lol

Any time you lose weight it is a combination of water, fat and muscle... Especially since you are not exercising and eating so little. Strength training and a smaller deficit can maximize the amount of muscle you can maintain while in a deficit, of course this doesn't mean you will not lose any muscle. You didn't lose 4.4 pounds of just fat in one week...
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    snap :flowerforyou:
  • eblakes93
    eblakes93 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    This thread is still going?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    This thread is still going?

That is what happens, when an OP is so determined to prove science wrong. :flowerforyou:
  • randomtai
    Options
    I just lost 4lbs in one week eating 1200cals a day. No exercise. I just want to say it really works. You should try it! Just one week and see the difference. Now am eager to get on with my weight loss. I wasn't losing any weight at first because of my diet. Now I can do and so can you!

that's the calorie count MFP is recommending me to eat so thanks for the post i have more hope it will work

This is why these threads are detrimental.
  • randomtai
    Options
    I can't believe you have that many people hating on your weight loss. Y'all act like she gain 4 pounds.

If she hadn't said "you should do it" in the opening post, things would be different. I would never have commented; to each their own. However, recommending it to others based on one week; NO. Some of us are SICK of seeing unhealthy eating promoted because it does NOT work for the long term nor for optimal health. Some initial quick weight loss, that includes water and muscle, sure... Is that what you want to cheer on? Is "under-eat to lose weight fast" what you want the young women of this generation to learn (just like the previous 3 or so generations)? Not me.

Well said!!
  • randomtai
    Options

You are losing muscles sweetheart. If you don't want to lose muscles, you have to eat and do resistance training. You will not bulk up like the Hulk... Just open your eyes around here and look... do you see ANY women looking like the Hulk around here?? :noway:
  • Joe_pat
    Options
    Congratulations !! This time everyone wanna make reduce their weight and your idea would help them.
  • candiceh3
    Options
    Congrats on losing more water, fat and muscle. If you are eating lower sodium, or lower carbs, then you lost a stack of water weight.

You simply cannot lose 4.4 lbs of fat in a week unless you had a deficit of 15400 calories in a week. That's a deficit of more than 2000 per day.

Sorry, but you just ain't a special snowflake.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!