Clean Eating Bashing?

Options

Replies

• Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I just wish there was a different name for it. "Eat clean" and "Lift heavy" are just so ungrammatical. :tongue:

On this note I get annoyed when people say "pick up heavy things." Heavy things? So you went to the gym to lift refrigerators? Benched a microwave? You lifted weights. Let's not make the whole process more grand than it really is.

Unless you're flipping tires, hauling sandbags, moving cinderblocks, or doing a bench press/squat/deadlift with chains added.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I'd like to think my BF% has gone down along my road to fit and it wasn't a chore doing so. If a certain eating style fits you, fine. But I'll keep being dirty and healthy. Okay, I'll bathe on occasion, too.. just to be a little cleaner.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I just wish there was a different name for it. "Eat clean" and "Lift heavy" are just so ungrammatical. :tongue:

On this note I get annoyed when people say "pick up heavy things." Heavy things? So you went to the gym to lift refrigerators? Benched a microwave? You lifted weights. Let's not make the whole process more grand than it really is.

Are microwaves heavy? Ineffective bench weight/object seems ineffective
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Avoiding saturated fat is another myth, as there are plenty of heart healthy saturated fats (butter and coconut oil for example.)

There are many nutrition experts and scientists (I would guess most) that would disagree that butter should be considered a healthy fat.

True...there are many who are still influenced by the lipid hypothesis. These same people once espoused margarine as a preferable alternative to butter...and they pushed the low-fat approach to dieting. Not every expert keeps up with the latest research. That doesn't mean they are right.

(Personally, I'm firmly in the "butter is healthy" camp.)

Many still say margarine is preferable to butter, if the margarine contains no partially hydrogenated oils. Though most would likely recommend using less of both. To be an expert, one would have to keep up with the latest research.

I find there is too much bias, ignorance, and propaganda to believe anyone who claims to be an expert on food science. Butter is awesome, but margarine is cheaper, so I use both for different reasons. Screw all the "experts!" :laugh:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    processed foods and other crap

This is why clean eating invites so much backlash. Because it, by definition, calls other foods "crap" or "unclean" or "dirty" or "unhealthy."
  • nikkylyn
    nikkylyn Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I notice when i eat more processesed.foods.i feel like ****. I like a balance. My diet is prob 70/30 clean vs not. I love using whole.ingredients and cooking my own food. But i still like my breads n pastas and i work it in.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I "eat clean" because I wanted to change everything about myself. When I ate crap all the time I had no energy, my bmi was 62 % and my A1C was 14%. After 11 months of clean eating and hitting the gym daily I am a completely new person. If people can achieve what I have still eating processed foods and other crap, good on you.. I needed to change.

HOLY CRAP @ your A1C! Mothertruck that's high! Were you snorting sugar for breakfast? My husband's was 7 at his last doctor's appointment, and he got an earful from me about it for sneaking sugary snacks and not doing his daily walk.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Holy crap, I absolutely did first learn about vitamins from the backs of my Captain Crunchberry boxes. That, along with the Flintstone vitamins is where all of my original micronutrient programming came from. I never thought about it in those terms.

448fLqr.gif
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I "eat clean" because I wanted to change everything about myself. When I ate crap all the time I had no energy, my bmi was 62 % and my A1C was 14%. After 11 months of clean eating and hitting the gym daily I am a completely new person. If people can achieve what I have still eating processed foods and other crap, good on you.. I needed to change.

HOLY CRAP @ your A1C! Mothertruck that's high! Were you snorting sugar for breakfast? My husband's was 7 at his last doctor's appointment, and he got an earful from me about it for sneaking sugary snacks and not doing his daily walk.

Ha! yea I was.. lines of sugar to wake me up... aka starbucks.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    For me, I eat clean because I've eaten at a deficit using processed foods and have eaten at a deficit eating more whole foods and I simply feel more energetic, get sick less often, and have less gastrointestinal problems when I eat cleaner. The issue is not about weight loss for me, it's about overall well-being.

Has anyone ever tried both and noticed no difference in how they feel? I'm just curious. I'm open to the possibility that my experience is not yours. :flowerforyou:

I kept the part most relevant to my experience and findings. I've been on both sides. In my younger days I ate anything and everything. Fast food, junk food, processed food, even some normal "healthy" food. While yes I was lean, could bench press a house and was in shape...my energy levels were low, my digestive system an utter disaster, and would badly want a nap every day after lunch. Fast forward many years and the shift to eating a predominantly "clean" diet comprised mostly of whole foods, with the occasional ice cream, or other sweet treat and my energy levels are high and constant, no crashing mid afternoon and my digestive system does not cause me any issues or discomfort at all. The change in my energy and the way I feel is all the proof I need to continue to eat the way I do.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options

This is why clean eating invites so much backlash. Because it, by definition, calls other foods "crap" or "unclean" or "dirty" or "unhealthy."

No no don't get it wrong, clean eating didn't call it "other crap" .. I did. If I was to begin to tell you what I used to eat daily, you might agree a little :laugh:
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Obviously, from a health standpoint, nutrient dense foods will do a better job at helping you meet your nutritional needs.

Except that the term "nutrient dense" as used is so detached from what it actually means that it is practically backwards.

Cookies are nutrient dense.
    Vegetables are extremely sparse nutritionally.

People so worship at the alter of micronutrients, downright pointlessly I might add, and so demonize macronutrients, that discussion of nutrients is nonsensical. One would survive FAR longer on a diet of pure cookies than a diet of pure broccoli.

Eat a variety of foods and micronutrients aren't a concern. Nutrient deficiencies are rare in those without a very limited diet (with the exception of pregnant women).

I agree.
    Maybe I wasn't very clear. When I think of "nutrient dense" foods, I think of foods that pack a variety of macro and micro nutrients. I didn't mean to imply that lettuce was more nutrient dense or necessarily better for you than a cookie, and I certainly don't demonize macronutrients.

Besides, I like cookies.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

No no don't get it wrong, clean eating didn't call it "other crap" .. I did. If I was to begin to tell you what I used to eat daily, you might agree a little :laugh:

Haha if you knew his food diary, you'd know he wouldn't agree. :laugh:
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    For me, I eat clean because I've eaten at a deficit using processed foods and have eaten at a deficit eating more whole foods and I simply feel more energetic, get sick less often, and have less gastrointestinal problems when I eat cleaner. The issue is not about weight loss for me, it's about overall well-being.

Has anyone ever tried both and noticed no difference in how they feel? I'm just curious. I'm open to the possibility that my experience is not yours. :flowerforyou:

I kept the part most relevant to my experience and findings. I've been on both sides. In my younger days I ate anything and everything. Fast food, junk food, processed food, even some normal "healthy" food. While yes I was lean, could bench press a house and was in shape...my energy levels were low, my digestive system an utter disaster, and would badly want a nap every day after lunch. Fast forward many years and the shift to eating a predominantly "clean" diet comprised mostly of whole foods, with the occasional ice cream, or other sweet treat and my energy levels are high and constant, no crashing mid afternoon and my digestive system does not cause me any issues or discomfort at all. The change in my energy and the way I feel is all the proof I need to continue to eat the way I do.

This has been my experience as well...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    This goes back to a theory of mine, that the vast majority of people in western society learned the basics of nutrition by reading cereal boxes while eating breakfast as a kid; with all the distortions the advertising and labeling creates.

Dear Lord, what a scary theory.
  • RosaliaBee
    RosaliaBee Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Clean eating doesn't mean much to me. How does it differ from eating whole-foods? Genuine question by the way!

PS apologies for butting in without reading the whole thread, but it's very loooong :D
  • anro86
    anro86 Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I agree! This is myFITNESSpal, not myWEIGHTLOSSpal. Eating clean contributes to fitness in more ways than eating twinkies at a deficit does.

Why does eating twinkies mean you aren't fit?

NO ONE SAID THAT! This is exactly what I'm talking about.

It was implied that eating twinkes = not fit.

Still waiting on the three ways eating clean contributes more to fitness than eating "twinkies" or whatever else does.

It was not implied. You inferred it.

3 Reasons: Meeting your nutritional needs before you eat exclusively snacks is on its face better for you or nutritional guidelines would not exist at all. Twinkies take a great deal of processing and transporting of ingredients to accomplish, which contributes to water and air pollution, neither or which are good for you. Twinkies contain a lot of corn-based ingredients which contribute to the mono-cropping of American and threaten the sustainability of the food system.

Do your own freaking research on Twinkies. You are lazy for making me do it for you.

I see some people on here that survive exclusively on fast food and I really don't want to pay for your Obamacare for you.

I was really enjoying your intelligent non-judgmental conversation about why you eat clean, a lot of the points you bring up are valid and admirable ..... then you spit out that last sentence, and all of a sudden *BAM* a political, judgmental, harsh statement about fellow MFP users.

That is an example of you "bashing" on those who don't eat the way that you do, and it discredits your argument, as you are doing the same thing that you are asking others not to do.

To each their own, I don't judge, I just do what works for me.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    In to hear more about these elusive standards of health that can't be objectively measured . . .

Because human beings are such simple systems that everything can be objectively assessed...

Part of the issue is that "eat clean" is in itself a meaningless statement. At what point does that become "only eat things one has picked from the bushes oneself", or "only eat meat one has personally slaughtered and dressed".

There are second and third order considerations around how food is processed prior to reaching the consumer. Personally I try to avoid meat that isn't free range as I'm very aware of the animal welfare aspects. Grew up in a rural area and around farm animals. It also tastes far better, and it seems to be a bit leaner.

As far as wellbeing is concerned there are lots of intangibles, although causality =/= causation. If one is more sensitive to the food chain does that make one more thoughtful about what one eats, how it's prepared and what is the effect of that on what one consumes? What's the psychological effect of actually taking the time to prepare food. Personally I find cooking quite therapeutic, it's something I revert to when I'm stressed as the process of preparation helps me relax. How does one quanitfy all of that?

Moving on to actually growing food, again what's the effect of that process, since we make choices about our time what are we choosing not to do as we're spending time on that?

Whilst anecdote is not evidence, much of the evidence is quite narrow and there isn't a significant amount that looks at the whole system.

Essentially it's all about choices, and if some find that their lifestyle becomes improved as a result of their choices then that's a good thing. Of course "improved" remains undefined and is very much a subjective thing as well.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    For me, it seems like a lot of people that vehemently advocate for extreme clean eating don't have a super great understanding for science. For example, I have a friend that's all about the primal lately. She also refuses to use a microwave because it uses RADIATION! Likewise, whatever fad thing that has lots of blogs written about its benefits has what amounts to magical properties for health. No one can seem to explain exactly how the magic works. It's just magic.

I said earlier that I try to eat pretty clean and it seems to work pretty well for me. I did forget to mention I don't eat organic. I don't think it's necessary and I can't afford it. I have an animal science background, I've seen the various studies in various journals, and I am just not convinced that GMOs, antibiotics, growth hormones, etc are all that terrible. Changing a gene of something and then eating it is not going to turn you into a mutant.

So that's my general impression of the more extreme proponents of it. Again, I am moving in the direction of eating a cleaner diet but I don't have any grandiose ideas of what it does for me.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    What?

Just because I don't "eat clean" doesn't mean I don't put effort into my meals or grab a box of twinkles or fast food. The vast majority of food I make is from scratch because I enjoy cooking, I enjoy the prep. When I make lemon meringue pie, I make everything from scratch, including squeezing the lemons. I make my own pasta and sauce. It takes hours. Not exactly lazy.
    It's not about effort.

ETA - the arrogance of that post floors me.

I'm not sure why you are associating home cooked meals with my comments, which only referenced junk food and fast food. It sounds like you are trying very hard to be offended.