Women, why must it be so?

Options

Replies

• iamanadult
    iamanadult Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Oh, okay. That's news to me. It doesn't work that way in Canada.

I'll educate you. This is how America views women:

vintage-sexist-ads%20(16)%5B5%5D.jpg?imgmax=800

OMG - Your arguments lack understanding, openness, and have zero integrity.

I'm pretty sure she's trolling. I mean, she's got to be trolling.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    You need to change stores. Seriously, broaden your horizons. That may be true in your little corner of the world but it is certainly not representative of the rest of Western Society. My 4 year old daughter, has, among her toys; books of all subjects, computers (leapster), camera, and a myriad of other non gender specific or "domestic" items. And for the record, she also has a vacuum cleaner. But so does my 6 year old son. It's red, and it matches his daddy's vacuum cleaner.

It's still just a joke. Don't give it anymore gravity than it deserves.

I'm referring to all toy stores, not a specific toy store.

Well I played with Barbies, Cabbage-Patch kids, Transformers, and He-Man, and that was way back in nineteen-****ety-two. Or the late 1980s, whichever.

You're giving toys too much power. I definitely played with more "girl" toys than "boy" toys and now I'm an engineer. Go figure.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I have been married almost 21 years and have 2 two sons and I am SAHM and he didn't make me be SAHM that's what I wanted to do because I grew up with both parents working and needless to say I hated my mom working and never home when we got home from school so I made a promise to my self that I would be a SAHM. I love taking care of my family. My hubby doesn't treat me like a doormat either and does stuff to help me out, cooks and cleans, too. Ohhh and my boys were raised to be boys not girly boys, they hunt, shoot guns, ohh no, lol, when they were little they played with cars, trucks, army men, etc.....they were well brought and when they marry they will take good care of they're wives and children. :happy:
  • determined_erin
    determined_erin Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Lol. I work, do my own cooking, cleaning, laundry, gardening, repairing, etc. I neither expect nor want a woman to do do any of these things (ok, maybe help garden) because I am very likely better at it anyway.

That is rare, and I applaud you for it.
  • Liss_Bee
    Liss_Bee Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    My BF is a feminist as well.
    th?id=H.4805262134543244&pid=15.1

Nice legs!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to get a man that mows my lawn and shovels the driveway :)

I'll totally make the sammiches and scrub the sh*tter in return.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

ALL of America? Really? You really don't think we've made progress since the 1950s. I'm a "feminist". Discrimination does exist. But I'm not going to play victim and imagine it where it isn't.

I am an equal in my marriage. We made decisions together. I'm on top during sex. I attended a college that was 75% male. A professor did make a joke that women should make good cakes, but he was 75 and Russian so it WAS funny. I work in a profession similarly dominated by men. I can honestly say I have NEVER in 10 years experienced discrimination or harassment at work. The men I work with have been through so much sexual harassment training that they'd probably deny they even noticed I was female. I have no idea how the salaries break down but considering how much I make (more than my husband) I doubt I get paid any less than the men (although I know on average this isn't true). I chose to work outside my home as does my husband, but due to his schedule he has the children (by himself) 4 days a week. We pay a SAHM to watch them the other days. I don't think any less of her that she chooses to stay home.

But yes, like I said, discrimination does still exist. We need to work on things like not undervaluing women because we are emotional, or not judging ourselves (or other women) on weather or not we are attractive to men, buy our children whatever toys they want regardless of their gender or the gender that the toy is marketed towards. Ranting on the internet and looking less than informed on gender issues does nothing but make "feminists" out to be "crazy" people.
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    My BF is a feminist as well.
    th?id=H.4805262134543244&pid=15.1
    Mmm, bb. Hahahaha..
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    In other words you're a liberal/hipster push over with no real agenda other than to cut off penises and destroy sandwich shops once and for all.

Oh, btw, you missed a spot when you vacuumed the other day...

So wanting men and women to be treated equally makes me all of those things? You definitely don't know me at all, then.

Also, I'm a fiscal conservative. I am not a liberal or any of those silly labels.

I do applaud your for taking a stand. Unfortunately, it doesnt work on the internet and it's the last bastion of the "isms". I think you make your comment and move on. You'll continue to be attacked as they look for weak spots.

Is it acceptable? No, it's not no more than acceptable if you had took a stand against racism and were attacked, and attacked with some silly, superfluous things. However, you cant make a blind man see when his ears are closed.

If you cannot defend your position, then it probably is not correct.

To defend an argument I'll agree, but the problem is most involve personal attacks that dont have anything to do with the original argument. What would a man sending or not sending flowers have anything to do with the argument? A good debate great, but to fling insults...nope lose all credibility to me instantly. Not worth supporting at that point as we know it will become a mute argument.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Lol. I work, do my own cooking, cleaning, laundry, gardening, repairing, etc. I neither expect nor want a woman to do do any of these things (ok, maybe help garden) because I am very likely better at it anyway.

no it's not
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I have some family going through a divorce, or at least in the works of it right now and I gotta say. As messed up as she is, he is got the real issues.
  • biorach
    biorach Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    This is seriously the funniest thing I've ever read in my entire life! Who has forced a gun to your head and made you shop in the broom and dust pan isle?

Whenever I go out to the mall or any store that has toys, it's an obvious pink explosion of domestic crap. My boyfriend and I have talked about this idea for years whenever we go to those stores and see it. Maybe you aren't opening your eyes to the truth of the matter.

Sure there are some rare items that are for girls that don't include that sexist crap, but the majority of the toys ARE based on stereotypes.

There are plenty of articles about my observation. Do a Google search.

It buys a new dust pan or it gets the hose again.

Ohmygosh. I had to take my glasses off because I cried all over them from laughing so hard. You are hilarious!

This thread is so entertaining, I love how feminists are all about equality.. Let's define equal as a noun =a person or thing considered to be the same as another in status or quality.
    NO one is equal, we are all different! Sheesh. I'm pretty sure we're allowed to enlist, vote, and have careers. Seems like we all have "equal" rights to me!

Women wouldn't be treated like women if they didn't act like WOMEN!
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    In other words you're a liberal/hipster push over with no real agenda other than to cut off penises and destroy sandwich shops once and for all.

So wanting men and women to be treated equally makes me all of those things? You definitely don't know me at all, then.

Also, I'm a fiscal conservative. I am not a liberal or any of those silly labels.

I do applaud your for taking a stand. Unfortunately, it doesnt work on the internet and it's the last bastion of the "isms". I think you make your comment and move on. You'll continue to be attacked as they look for weak spots.

Is it acceptable? No, it's not no more than acceptable if you had took a stand against racism and were attacked, and attacked with some silly, superfluous things. However, you cant make a blind man see when his ears are closed.

To defend an argument I'll agree, but the problem is most involve personal attacks that dont have anything to do with the original argument. What would a man sending or not sending me flowers have anything to do with the argument? A good debate great, but to fling insults...nope lose all credibility to me instantly. Not worth supporting at that point as we know it will become a mute argument.

I dont think I attacked anyone.
  • determined_erin
    determined_erin Posts: 571 Member
    Options

ALL of America? Really?

Yes, all of America. Check out everyone's posts on this thread. They represent America (at least, most of them... some are from other countries, as someone said they are from Canada).
  • jkowula
    jkowula Posts: 447
    Options

ALL of America? Really? You really don't think we've made progress since the 1950s. I'm a "feminist". Discrimination does exist. But I'm not going to play victim and imagine it where it isn't.

I am an equal in my marriage. We made decisions together. I'm on top during sex. I attended a college that was 75% male. A professor did make a joke that women should make good cakes, but he was 75 and Russian so it WAS funny. I work in a profession similarly dominated by men. I can honestly say I have NEVER in 10 years experienced discrimination or harassment at work. The men I work with have been through so much sexual harassment training that they'd probably deny they even noticed I was female. I have no idea how the salaries break down but considering how much I make (more than my husband) I doubt I get paid any less than the men (although I know on average this isn't true). I chose to work outside my home as does my husband, but due to his schedule he has the children (by himself) 4 days a week. We pay a SAHM to watch them the other days. I don't think any less of her that she chooses to stay home.

But yes, like I said, discrimination does still exist. We need to work on things like not undervaluing women because we are emotional, or not judging ourselves (or other women) on weather or not we are attractive to men, buy our children whatever toys they want regardless of their gender or the gender that the toy is marketed towards. Ranting on the internet and looking less than informed on gender issues does nothing but make "feminists" out to be "crazy" people.

Great post and well spoken.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

To defend an argument I'll agree, but the problem is most involve personal attacks that dont have anything to do with the original argument. What would a man sending or not sending me flowers have anything to do with the argument? A good debate great, but to fling insults...nope lose all credibility to me instantly. Not worth supporting at that point as we know it will become a mute argument.

I dont think I attacked anyone.

oh no didnt think you did
    was an indefinite you
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness, I can't believe I'm just now reading all of this awesomeness.
    In for the spastic feminism!!!!
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

It really isnt. At least if you are to take MFP as a sample of the overall population. I have noticed quite a few men here that are excellent cooksand a few SAHDs.
  • AZ_Gato
    AZ_Gato Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    What have I done!!!!

PWCjMiP.gif

Let me just say goodbye to all you fine folks.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    The "problem" with the "joke" in the OP is that women are often criticized for being "crazy" and "emotional" thus portraying our feelings as being "invalid". Men are, in general, less emotional and more logical, but this doesn't make women "wrong", just different. Men tend to be afraid, or have no idea how to handle emotional women. They should learn. Sometimes I cry when I'm angry or I screw something up at work. Don't treat me differently, however from a man who gets angry or frustrated. I can't control it. I don't want special treatment. The perception that women hate each other goes along with this. Often this is perpetrated by "less emotional" women who also don't understand emotional women. Again, the solution is to try to understand, ask questions, don't make anyone feel invalid, etc.

^ THIS is the "feminist" issue here. Nothing to do with working mothers. :grumble:

But yes, I get that the OP was a joke. :drinker:

Men are taught to be less emotional, or we are branded sissies and told to toughen up. And women often express their frustration with men who are emotionally unavailable, thanks to the same social issues.

Ah. Very valid point. My dad used to quote John Wayne all the time, something about apologizing being a sign of weakness. F that. Basically modern society is screwed. We need to do what we can to "fix" things with ourselves and own children and hope others are doing the same.
This discussion has been closed.