Why Dieting is the Worst Way to Lose Weight

Options

Replies

• Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    lol this thread. you keep doing you, mfp. never change.

Derisive, so, points for that, but do you have anything to contribute? Any pearls of wisdom you'd like to share? We're all ears. :smokin:
  • prettyface55
    prettyface55 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Interesting!
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    I replied with what I thought was a very well thought out and worded post many pages back but you completely missed the intent of it. after that I abandoned the thread in favor of doing something more productive with my time. I would very much like to disagree with anyone who claims anything in this thread for the past four pages is enlightening or informative. so no, I do not have anything to contribute, but thanks for asking.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    - the best advice for most people struggling with weight loss is to ignore everything and focus on logging/eating at a caloric deficit. Forget exercise, forget everything else.

Most published diet plans, including WW (unless they've changed since I 'graduated'), even advocate NOT adding an exercise component for the first several weeks or months. The experts know that people get overwhelmed, people over-compensate for their exercise burn based on their perception of what it's 'worth' food-wise, and most of all-- people gain weight from a new exercise plan. I'm not saying they pack on the muscles but a lot of us, especially women, can hoard a lot of water in our cells and it makes the scale a ****ty indicator of progress, sometimes for a long time.

Most published diet plans also fail. Exercise is not at all necessary for weight loss. Exercise is beneficial to overall health. Resistance training in beneficial in LBM retention while in a calorie deficit. Carrdiovascular exercise is also beneficial in increasing TDEE so as to create a larger calorie intake while maintaining a deficit. These are all facts. There are other facts that could be added to this list. Arguing over what is exercise and what isnt is almost as bad as arguing over what counts as water. You nice folks carry on now, I am about to cook and eat all the food. Have a happy Thanksgiving everyone!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Most published diet plans also fail.
    Most of everything fails.

Approximately one in four people will actually lose LBM doing strength training. Cardiovascular training doesn't improve overall health if it is accompanied by over-eating.

Again, nobody has argued that exercise isn't a good thing - the point is that exercise is an additional complication to the weight loss process, and for most people trying to lose weight it introduces an additional failure vector.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    I replied with what I thought was a very well thought out and worded post many pages back but you completely missed the intent of it. after that I abandoned the thread in favor of doing something more productive with my time. I would very much like to disagree with anyone who claims anything in this thread for the past four pages is enlightening or informative. so no, I do not have anything to contribute, but thanks for asking.

Well, I have to disagree.
    I learned that very few Americans do yard work.
    That's not actually the norm where I live.
  • Manda_1986
    Manda_1986 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Well that was a good read :) haha. I love seeing how passionate people get.
    My opinion. Well I count calories. I use a deficit to lose weight. It's simple maths really.
    I do exercise but for a purpose other then to just look good. I play a lot of competitive netball. In the off season I train (mixture cardio and strength) to keep up my fitness levels so I'm not having young 18 yr olds run rings around me at the start of the season. During the season I simply do netball training and and play, I drop the extra training because well I don't particularly like it or have the time for it. I do strength training purely to increase my jumping height and change of direction speed. I don't do it to get ripped or toned. I think if I didn't have a strong purpose to do this exercise I wouldn't bother. I know exactly where Siansonea is coming from. Sometimes you are just so busy with work and other commitments you want some time to just chill out and not worry. It simply comes down to what you want out of life. Some people want to be ripped, some people want to be super fit and accomplish amazing things, some people just want to be thin, some people exercise so they can eat that bit of ben and jerrys at the end of the day and some people want to have 10% body fat.
    The one thing that irritates me about this site is that a lot of people "know" they are "right" and jump down each others throats if they don't think the exact some thing as someone else. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and what they enjoy to do. Don't get me wrong though...I do enjoy to have a read and a giggle at some of the witty remarks. :)
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    I learned that very few Americans do yard work.

:laugh:

:drinker:

Next I'll be hearing that farm work isn't "exercise", either.
  • DamePiglet
    Options
    What are you asking me for? You know everything!

I don't, as you've pointed out. I'm new to this whole chores = exercise thing. I'm asking for your help since you've been so helpful to this point. I'm asking if you know how many calories I'll burn in an hour of picking up dog crap? No need for you to be condescending all of a sudden.

I suppose I could just wear my heart rate monitor and figure it out that way. But what about the calorie burn while I'm putting the heart rate monitor on? I'm assuming it is less than one calorie but I want to start counting every physical activity I do as exercise.

I certainly wouldn't want to take away any of your market share on being condescending.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Exercise is beneficial to overall health.

Thanks for that tidbit. Who knew? And I thought we were talking about weight loss.
    I'm assuming it is less than one calorie but I like to count everything I do.
    That's good because guess what... your body counts everything you do, too.

Or are we talking about 'eating back' here? I didn't think so.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    And right on cue, there's a new MFP thread from someone with a laundry list of physical activity and no calorie counts, wondering why they aren't losing weight.
  • DamePiglet
    Options
    And right on cue, there's a new MFP thread from someone with a laundry list of physical activity and no calorie counts, wondering why they aren't losing weight.

link or it never happened!
  • Just_Kim_
    Just_Kim_ Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I use the counting calories method to lose weight. I also walk to improve my overall well being, but not necessarily to lose weight. I do not "eat back" the calories I burn by walking.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options

I saw that too. :laugh:
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why this is so contentious.

To lose weight you need a calorie deficit. This can be achieved through diet alone, physical activity alone or a combination of of both. I think most people will favour the diet and activity approach simply because diet alone may need a sharper reduction in food intake than they are comfortable with and the activity only approach needs a significant time investment.

In addition I believe the general idea is that exercise is more beneficial for long term weight maintenance as opposed to weight loss, at least from what I remember. It's been sometime since I looked at the studies.

Thanks very much. I'm here all week.

Try the veal.
  • DamePiglet
    Options

I saw that too. :laugh:

just saw it too.
    not going near it.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Ah, more gymrat/"nutrition" evangelism. Fail. :huh:

I lost weight through a calorie deficit, eating "dirty" food, with ZERO exercise, and I look amazing. So this author can take a flying leap. :smokin:

looks amazing but no profile pic posted...hmmmmm

Exactly. Doesn't really add up or make sense.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    Next I'll be hearing that farm work isn't "exercise", either.

No, that's just hard work and should be accounted for in your daily activity level. Still not exercise, but my opinion is wrong.

Does the human body know the difference between a calorie burned through exercise and one burned through "hard work"?