I feel sorry for the new year resolutioners..

Options

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    How about choosing to eat differently (healthily).... wait for it..... for forever?

That *is* dieting.

No, I am not "dieting" but I have changed my "diet". Permanently. The word relies on context as you well know.

Yes, you are dieting, as are most of the rest of us here.

The fact it's a long-term diet doesn't change what it is - a diet.

It baffles me why so many people are terrified of this word...

probably because of all the fad diets out there...and most people that "diet" tend to do it for six months and then stop ...

Some people associate "diet" with short term, as opposed to long term ...it is more of a word association thing.

well, for the year that I was actively losing, I WAS ON A DIET! and I don't care to play word games and have others tell me what it is and what it isn't, FOR ME... for me, IT WAS A DIET, because I knew that I would not be eating at a deficit FOR LIFE... so, call it what you will, but I call it a DIET!

OMG. Be on a "diet" if you want. I'm telling you what is and isn't for you? Really? When? I was suggesting a permanent adjustment in diet where gaining weight will not be the end result. I'm speaking from my own personal experience. Yeah, stupid, I know. And who said you have to eat at a deficit forever? But I can guarantee you that if you go back to exactly how you were eating before your "diet" your body will also go back to the way it was before you started "dieting". (Must be time to leave this ridiculous thread.....)
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options

Even worse. It's "I'm outraged on behalf of hypothetical people because of what I imagine other people will think about them in the future."

FTW!
  • kowajenn
    kowajenn Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Hey look, I started in January 2013 too!

Guess what, judgmental MFPers...most people who start diets fail, not only the ones who start on January 1. Be supportive or shut up. This place really is like middle school sometimes.
    Wow what an inspirational and supportive post that will help everyone achieve their goals. Way to lead by example.

Why thank you, it's people like you who inspire me every day.

See, I can do sarcasm too.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    IMO this thread should end now. You guys have moved on from bickering with the OP to bickering with each other lol.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    this thread is hilarious.

OP and supporters are getting hypothetically butthurt about hypothetical slights aimed at hypothetical resolutioners, who by definition, are not even on this site yet.

:heart:
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    IMO this thread should end now. You guys have moved on from bickering with the OP to bickering with each other lol.

Haha, it probably should have ended with the kitty gif.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    who says that you can't just pick a day to start, start then and have it succeed?

I woke up one day (happened to be boxing day) and that was it. 342 days later and i'm down 29kg, chasing the 30th.

The only person who can decide if something will work if the one who needs to do it.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Jesus Christ...my eyes hurt after reading all that.

Loving all the personal digs, name calling and pure childishness. Then after doing all that telling me to grow up! Bloody Elle.

I assume you are referring to your own posts...
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options

haha, agreed!
  • 40andFindingFitness
    Options
    Yikes. I guess it's a good thing I started today and not next month!

The new year is what's prompting me to get myself together though and it's really daunting to see in black and white just how much I need to lose but I certainly won't be forgetting this thread. I'll be using it as motivation and a reminder to stick with my plan a month from now when the newness wears off and my enthusiasm wanes.

Woo hoo! Congrats on starting on xx date. I believe what most are saying is the date is not as significant as the effort put forth so why delay? But folks on either side of the issue will argue their point until they pass out so it is what it is. For many the date is when they've truly had enough and that date may be 'right now.'

Regarding the black and white of it, I also am shocked and appalled at the number that I need to lose but I keep a positive attitude about it because beating myself up doesn't burn any calories so why bother. (Oh and I learned that nifty phrase from these "judgmental know it alls" that actually give out good advise 9 out of 10 times). Good luck on your fitness journey!

:0)
  • MumToBrendon
    Options
    Seriously? Are we at primary school?

Think you need to go back!

I'm out. Thanks to all those who proved me correct :')

Chow!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Chow!

Proven what? That nobody actually wants the newbs to fail? But we realize that it's going to happen? Or that you are close-minded? You proved that one yourself.
  • bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Can someone say M-e-o-w!! Lol!!

haha, agreed!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    ChowChowKhanByJohnDJackson.jpg
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    The holidays are stressful for many people. I suggest a nice cup of chamomile tea.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Chow!
    By "chow" I'm guessing you probably mean, "ciao?"
  • shutyourpieholeandsquat
    Options
    you ever just see someone's profile picture and immediately not like them? I'm sure people do it to me all the time :laugh:
  • shutyourpieholeandsquat
    Options

Chow!

By "chow" I'm guessing you probably mean, "ciao?"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    ALL does not mean MAJORITY, SOME or even MOST...
  • Dan_MA
    Options
    I love when people tell me I can't do something so I can prove them wrong!