I feel sorry for the new year resolutioners..

Options

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Next year starts on a Wednesday. How is that going to work?

Decide whether a "Monday start date" or a "January 1st start date" is more important to you? ha!

tumblr_m6vi8yxysD1r9uyl8o1_500.gif

I think I rather start yesterday.
  • couponfireswimmer
    Options
    I start on the day I'm ready to but I respect anyone who tries.
  • couponfireswimmer
    Options
    lol I was a "mid-day" Sunday starter. I had already had McDonalds for breakfast and something else highly caloric when I decided and started with a healthy afternoon snack.

my first day on mfp started with a slice of warmed up pizza. When I finished it I started. I then found the chicken pineapple pizza frkm papa john's in the database and decided I would do just fine if I didnt grab a second slice.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    The majority of them will fail. That's just a reality. Does that mean they get less support from me? No, but I think someone waiting for a start date to change their life already has the wrong attitude going in.

Absolutely this! Just like people who try to quit smoking. Just do it already.

I've done both the same way. I started and finished (or in the case of weight loss, I'm still going). When you want something bad enough - assuming you are fully capable of doing whatever it is, you will just do it.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Everyone on here seem to be expecting them all to fail! Surely you should cut out your judgmental horrible personalities and support anyone who joins here, anyone who succeeds or fails. When they came here their ambition was to succeed afterall!

I think some of it is very similar to the mindset of combat troops from WWII through Viet Nam where new personnel and replacements would join their units out in the field. The old timers wouldn't be too energetic about getting to know the new arrivals because of the odds that new, inexperienced personnel would make mistakes, get injured, or die. Only once the new arrival had been around long enough to show they either had or learned the skills to survive would the old crew warm up to them.

Here, it's similar. We'll all likely see another round of new, enthusiastic people. However, experience shows that many of these new arrivals will not be around very long. Some will be unable or unwilling to make the time commitment. Some will be disillusioned with their progress. Some will find they don't like the gym atmosphere. They're all the same reasons any newcomer, regardless of when they start, may quit. But there tends to be a larger number of them when 1 January rolls around. As a result, the people who've been going to the gym for a while can easily see resolutioners as a group where most of the members (but not all) are really only temporary annoyances- not people they'll get to know.

Personally, I think doing it as a new years resolution can be a bit of sabotage in itself. It's great that they find a reason to get active. But I dont' think all of them appreciate what they're getting into.

For one thing, there's the argument against having a start date "down the road" because what is the guarantee that, when the new year starts, you won't just keep kicking it down the road? There was one time when I said I was going to start a new training regimen on Monday. Monday came, but I was busy. Well, I was supposed to work out Monday / Wednesday / Friday, so with Monday gone, why do the other two days? And I kicked the can down the road to the next week. Monday was busy, again. Lather, rinse, repeat, and the next thing I knew a month had gone by and I was still doing my old workout.

The other issue that I don't know they're aware that they'll face is self consciousness issues. These boards are rife with people talking about how self conscious they feel. When everyone is starting their new resolutions on the first of the year, not only are some of them going to be self conscious, between looking at what the old timers are doing and all the other things resolutioners around them are doing, but they're doing it in an abnormally crowded situation. The crowds of resolutioners may cause individuals to feel uncomfortable and stop coming even though the crowds during the rest of the year might not be large enough to have the same effect.

So I do expect to see a sea of new faces in the gym when the year starts, and I expect many of them will show up for a brief period of time and then stop coming. But I will treat them the same way I treat everyone else.
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    The majority of them will fail. That's just a reality. Does that mean they get less support from me? No, but I think someone waiting for a start date to change their life already has the wrong attitude going in.

*nod of approval
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I think some of it is very similar to the mindset of combat troops from WWII through Viet Nam where new personnel and replacements would join their units out in the field. The old timers wouldn't be too energetic about getting to know the new arrivals because of the odds that new, inexperienced personnel would make mistakes, get injured, or die. Only once the new arrival had been around long enough to show they either had or learned the skills to survive would the old crew warm up to them.

Here, it's similar. We'll all likely see another round of new, enthusiastic people. However, experience shows that many of these new arrivals will not be around very long. Some will be unable or unwilling to make the time commitment. Some will be disillusioned with their progress. Some will find they don't like the gym atmosphere. They're all the same reasons any newcomer, regardless of when they start, may quit. But there tends to be a larger number of them when 1 January rolls around. As a result, the people who've been going to the gym for a while can easily see resolutioners as a group where most of the members (but not all) are really only temporary annoyances- not people they'll get to know.

Personally, I think doing it as a new years resolution can be a bit of sabotage in itself. It's great that they find a reason to get active. But I dont' think all of them appreciate what they're getting into.

For one thing, there's the argument against having a start date "down the road" because what is the guarantee that, when the new year starts, you won't just keep kicking it down the road? There was one time when I said I was going to start a new training regimen on Monday. Monday came, but I was busy. Well, I was supposed to work out Monday / Wednesday / Friday, so with Monday gone, why do the other two days? And I kicked the can down the road to the next week. Monday was busy, again. Lather, rinse, repeat, and the next thing I knew a month had gone by and I was still doing my old workout.

The other issue that I don't know they're aware that they'll face is self consciousness issues. These boards are rife with people talking about how self conscious they feel. When everyone is starting their new resolutions on the first of the year, not only are some of them going to be self conscious, between looking at what the old timers are doing and all the other things resolutioners around them are doing, but they're doing it in an abnormally crowded situation. The crowds of resolutioners may cause individuals to feel uncomfortable and stop coming even though the crowds during the rest of the year might not be large enough to have the same effect.

So I do expect to see a sea of new faces in the gym when the year starts, and I expect many of them will show up for a brief period of time and then stop coming. But I will treat them the same way I treat everyone else.

This was very well thought-out and written. I can only hope that it doesn't fall of deaf ears. Or would that be blind eyes?
  • theopenforum
    theopenforum Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Man I have done weight loss resolutions, I have done deciding to do something with my life, I have done spur of the moment weight loss decisions I have done them all, and because of that I will support anyone else that decides to do them too. Success or failure is irrelevant to support. If they succeed then they wanted it bad enough if they fail they didn't. Either way it is still not a reason to take my freaking squat rack for 45 minutes. REALLY??? REALLY??? AHHH IM LATE FOR WORK NOW T_T

Wait what were we talking about? ^_^

Tof
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Next year starts on a Wednesday. How is that going to work?

Decide whether a "Monday start date" or a "January 1st start date" is more important to you? ha!

tumblr_m6vi8yxysD1r9uyl8o1_500.gif

I think I rather start yesterday.

I was joking, obviously. Jeez!
  • shrinkingbrian
    shrinkingbrian Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I tried numerous times on new years to lose weight but never it make it past the afternoon with bowl games and out came the chips. It wasn't until I started small things like walking daily for 30 minutes a day that I started seeing some weight drop off and made the decision to live healthier. It takes motivation. I see tons of new people at the gym the first two weeks in January but they're gone by the end of January. It's all about desire and motivation. I got up at 4:30 am today (went to bed at 9) to go work out for 2+ hours at the gym. You just need to find that fire in the belly and find the inner strength to motivate you.
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options

I agree that waiting for a start date is the wrong attitude and that the statistics show that most of them will fail. But we have to consider that for many people it isn't the start date that made them wait for new years. Many people don't even think about it until some conversation or event gets them to think. I would venture to say that most people that are successful have had that very specific event that caused them to take stock and do something about it.
    For the new year resolutioners (I like that name), it could be a holiday meal, too much to drink on new years or just some plain old fashioned "taking a moment to think about my life". Since these are all things we do during the holiday season, I think they should get the benefit of doubt.
  • barkin43
    barkin43 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I started August 13th. Was I too early for my new years resolution? It was a Monday though... wait how do you play this game again? :0)

Wait it was a Tuesday. Guess I lose lol.

Just start. To heck with the date.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :bigsmile: :drinker:
  • RosaliaBee
    RosaliaBee Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Each month I like to try to make incremental improvements in my lifestyle so that I don't tackle huge challenges all at once.

If each each month you think about something both small enough to be manageable and specific enough to be clear and concrete, over the course of a year you can make some pretty big changes. Plus they're more likely to stick and see results with, if they're small and specific.

Of course not all the changes will stick, some will slide and slide again, but eventually if you keep trying - and you have enough motivation to maintain the effort - I believe most worthwhile things can eventually be achieved.

I find the beginning of each month a handy prompt to think about making small improvements in my life, simply because I have to turn my calendar over and I'm faced with a clean page.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Man I have done weight loss resolutions, I have done deciding to do something with my life, I have done spur of the moment weight loss decisions I have done them all, and because of that I will support anyone else that decides to do them too. Success or failure is irrelevant to support. If they succeed then they wanted it bad enough if they fail they didn't. Either way it is still not a reason to take my freaking squat rack for 45 minutes. REALLY??? REALLY??? AHHH IM LATE FOR WORK NOW T_T

Wait what were we talking about? ^_^

Tof

THIS
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Can't agree more... I also resent the fact that my gym will be a zoo until like January 15th.

I hate that. I won't be able to get a good full workout in unless I'm there waiting in line for equipment for hours...

It is crazy in January! But on a positive note, I am loving how empty the gym is this time of year. It's almost empty. :smile:
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I tried numerous times on new years to lose weight but never it make it past the afternoon with bowl games and out came the chips. It wasn't until I started small things like walking daily for 30 minutes a day that I started seeing some weight drop off and made the decision to live healthier. It takes motivation. I see tons of new people at the gym the first two weeks in January but they're gone by the end of January. It's all about desire and motivation. I got up at 4:30 am today (went to bed at 9) to go work out for 2+ hours at the gym. You just need to find that fire in the belly and find the inner strength to motivate you.

^^Yep. For me, it was all, or nothing. I had to start on the "right day," with the "right plan," and power through it. When I'd screw up my "perfect plan," I'd feel like a TOTAL failure and quit. So, in my case, the most sustainable way that I've found to lose weight is to not shock my system, and psyche, into and "all or nothing plan." Baby steps.
  • eryquem
    eryquem Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I think the real problem with setting a start date, whether it's Jan 1 or a Monday or first of the month, is that it establishes a mindset that getting healthy involves suffering - whether it's depriving yourself of your favorite foods, having to live with hunger pains on a regular basis, or enduring pain and/or boredom from exercise. If you go about it that way, then the prospect of sustaining that healthy lifestyle for the rest of your life is incredibly bleak.

On the other hand, getting healthy can actually mean eating better tasting AND more satiating food, as well as doing physical activities that are fun/rewarding enough to make you honestly look forward to them, then waiting for some arbitrary date to start really doesn't make much sense.
  • ttiger33
    ttiger33 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    https://scontent-b-pao.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1424574_10151720198461557_1262816967_n.jpg

Success is not a straight line as we would like to think, it is filled with a bunch of twist and turns.. So a person who wants to start in the New Year who am I to pass judgement and say they will fail? I know I have "failed" with this several times Beginning, middle and end of year.. But< I am not giving up.

The important point to me is they are acknowledging they should do something and the beginning of the year may be more comfortable to them, due to all the Holiday gatherings this month. Don't want to "fail" due to the temptations..

So, don't get discourage! and do your best!!
    We are here to support!
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I reached my weight loss goal today, a week after Thanksgiving and a few weeks before Christmas. Conventional wisdom would dictate that this would be the hardest time to reach a weight loss goal. I just kicked conventional wisdom's *kitten*. :bigsmile:

Waiting for some arbitrary calendar date to get started is just procrastination—and procrastination bespeaks of lack of discipline. While I wouldn't say you need a LOT of discipline to lose weight, you do need some, and you need to use it wisely. I think people who do the New Year's resolution thing have probably bought into a bunch of other bad habits and faulty logic that will hinder their efforts, and lead to failure. Most of them will probably join gyms, thinking that in order to lose weight, you have to run yourself ragged with exhausting exercise. They'll also probably eat lots and lots of "healthy" or "clean" foods, thinking that it's the magic bullet for weight loss. And come the second week of January, the Getting Started forum will be flooded with "OMG what gives?!" threads, bemoaning their lack of success.

And a few of them might even start counting their calories and macros. You'll recognize that group later in the year, because they will be the ones who have actually lost weight. :bigsmile:
  • TXRanchGirl
    Options
    as a mutiple "failer" of the new years resolution in the past..I can atest to the fact that failing when you set this "date" is a very real likelyhood...when the newness wears off..early mornings start to take their toll, you loose willpower,ect.

I lost my weight over the summer...and knew this time of year would be the TRUE test of being able to maintain..Ive done an ok job. Folks who go into the holiday season with the mindset of "Ill eat all I want and what I want..then Ill loose after the new year" arent doing themselves any favors..I think the willpower and the want too..over the HARDEST time of the year is most important..Im not talking depriving yourself..but not eating like a cow. My thoughts..for what they are worth.

Dedication dedication dedication! I even bring my videos with me when we haul out to stock shows to show our sheep and horses..I get up extra early and do my workout before everyone else gets up!