I thought Subway was supposed to be good for you

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    processed meats never = 'good' for you.

What if you were lost in the wilderness, and hadn't eaten in three days, and you stumbled upon a cabin with a refrigerator full of nothing but processed meats. Should you not eat them?

:eye roll:

I'm vegan, so the answer would be no :-)

Yeah-ok.gif

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options

What if you were lost in the wilderness, and hadn't eaten in three days, and you stumbled upon a cabin with a refrigerator full of nothing but processed meats. Should you not eat them?

Your conviction is strong. I would likely eat a human to survive.

A human yes, but would you eat a vegan?
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Subway meat is quite possibly the worst deli 'meat' out there. It is so full of nitrates and artificial colors and artificial flavorings. So no, it's not 'good' for you. Heck, even the veggies there have added colors and chemicals!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Subway meat is quite possibly the worst deli 'meat' out there. It is so full of nitrates and artificial colors and artificial flavorings. So no, it's not 'good' for you. Heck, even the veggies there have added colors and chemicals!

tumblr_lnks9gkykk1qiw26m.gif
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

I wonder what a vegan would taste like compared to an omnivore...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Then why is it I ate one 6" pastrami sub and it took up dam near all my daily calories!!!

caloric density =/= good for you or bad for you...caloric density has nothing to do with whether something is nutritious or not. I'm eating an avocado right now...it's extremely calorie dense...and extremely healthy.

LOLing...thanks, I needed a laugh.
  • BossLadyDSimp
    BossLadyDSimp Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    MORAL OF THE STORY ...

count the calories ahead of time and make better choices ... look at the internet, even the subway website tells you the calories

50540473.png
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    MORAL OF THE STORY ...

count the calories ahead of time and make better choices ... look at the internet, even the subway website tells you the calories

have to disagree here...
    i think there are a couple morals, with the main one being that caloric density =/= "healthiness".

also, OP, please address the concern regarding your statement that ~600 calories is almost your daily limit.
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Then why is it I ate one 6" pastrami sub and it took up dam near all my daily calories!!!

The power of advertising!
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    My sub there is fewer than 300 calories. Double chicken salad is even fewer I think. Then I get Baked Lays for another 130. Depends on what you get.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    If I eat at work, I normally get a 3 inch turkey sandwich on flat bread, no cheese. I don't eat there a whole lot, I either eat before work or bring my lunch with me.

3"? wha?

Yeah take a 6 inch flat bread and cut it in half, it's the size of a kid's sandwich.
  • 9thChakra
    9thChakra Posts: 141 Member
    Options

Hey there...

I'm sorry, but I have to say I found this post a little funny...not because of your statement...but because of the comedian Jim Gaffigan. He has a whole skit on Subway and, essentially, how it's not health food and younger people probably will think that because they don't understand the story of Jared and think he's the owner.

I'm not saying you think that...but for those that don't know: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jared_Fogle

In the meantime...good for you for educating yourself by using MFP. Understanding the amount of energy different foods have is a good step to nutritional awareness.

Best to you,

9thChakra
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I ate 14 chocolate chunk cookies from Subway and was out of calories and nowhere near my protein macro for the day. Subway sux.
  • myprana
    Options
    Uum, all I can add is I like Jimmy Johns better. As mentioned no good or bad foods. Make Em fit into your daily macros and calories. :)

I couldn't go back to eating Subway after having Jimmy Johns. They have a veggie sub with avocado and mayo that is heavenly. Totally worth the extra calories and having to do more exercise.
  • dswolverine
    dswolverine Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Subway is one of those places that has a "health halo" where you assume the food there is good for you and not as destructive as say, McDonalds. While there are definitely healthy options at Subway, their whole menu is not. I would recommend 2x turkey (they never give you enough!), no cheese or mayo, TONS of veggies and seasonings. Shouldnt' set you back too far. or a salad.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options

I wonder what a vegan would taste like compared to an omnivore...
    It depends. Grassfed or cornfed? Free-range or (cubicle-)farmed?
  • angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    Options

Yeah-ok.gif

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

It's a jungle out there. Only the strong survive. :laugh:
  • GTAFrank
    GTAFrank Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Just because it's high on calories doesn't make it unhealthy.
    Diet soda is unhealthy 0 Caloires.

And there it is.... facepalm.gif

Please cite the studies. Oh, this is from today:

http://news.yahoo.com/europe-diet-sweetener-aspartame-safe-cola-131051491--finance.html

What have you got?
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options

So you'd rather starve to death? Wow. That's conviction right there.

That's what i was thinking.