Options
    Sexual Predator to Slavery in 4 pages

28974458.jpg

Cant we get a Hitler post by page 6?

Why wait?

Kitler_1959295c.jpg

Indeed!
    29nxp2g.jpg

What if my father was hitler but i like chicken wings too?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Not enough information to make a judgement, but I will say just because something was allowed in the past doesn't make it right. Of course at that age children are learning boundaries, empathy, and what is and is not socially appropriate. Should a child be labeled a sexual predator...of course not!, but I cant say that the school was wrong or right.
    It isn't about allowing vs. not allowing. It's about appropriate responses to normal child development.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Unwanted touching is unwanted touching, regardless of your age. Rule #1 in first grade is keep your hands (and presumably your lips) to yourself.

Did you miss the part where the girl gave him persmission to kiss her hand?

Perhaps, a meeting with parents and administrators for both children should have occurred, but this is a serious knee-jerk reaction. If this were to happen in the workplace, no one would be charged with sexual harassment, but both participants would have been given at least a warning before corrective action took place.

Depends on the workplace. At the place I work, it'd lead to a 3 day suspension, that is used as a warning. If it's a second time, it's termination.

So if you asked a female co-worker if you could kiss her hand and she was okay with it, but your other co-workers saw and complained to the boss, your boss would put you on a 3-day suspension risking a decrease in productivity?

I highly doubt that.

Sadly, the two involved could face suspension. Because at that point, it could be seen as making other coworkers uncomfortably because of the sexuality of it.

Because if they didn't, said third employee involved could in theory go get a lawyer and claim that they were sexually harassed indirectly, and have a legit case to go to court with. The chances of them doing it are low, but even a 1% chance is too much for a large corporation to risk when it comes to things like that.

3 days of decreased production is nothing compared to the cost of lawyers and possible settlements.

Every company has their own protocols, but most companies begin with a verbal or, at least, written warning before taking disciplinary action. Pray tell, what large corporation is so scared of such a frivolous lawsuit that they can't treat their employees as adults and allow them to first correct their own behavior?
  • SavageRabidBeast_version2
    Options
    lawyer would be contacted and the school district would be sued. Not to mention, every News Station would be outing how ridiculous that school system is. I would bring the wraith cuz I have no patience for stupid!
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    If they were "playing doctor" behind the bleachers, that would be something to get mad about

I agree with you except for this. This is also normal behavior (assuming both children are OK with it). You don't "get mad." You take them aside and explain about appropriate behavior and private areas. You don't make sex scary, dirty and taboo to children -- even the ones who don't yet know what it is.

You explain in terms they can understand why they shouldn't do that.

That's more of what I meant, yes.
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,128 Member
    Options
    Unwanted touching is unwanted touching, regardless of your age. Rule #1 in first grade is keep your hands (and presumably your lips) to yourself.

Perhaps, a meeting with parents and administrators for both children should have occurred, but this is a serious knee-jerk reaction. If this were to happen in the workplace, no one would be charged with sexual harassment, but both participants would have been given at least a warning before corrective action took place.

Depends on the workplace. At the place I work, it'd lead to a 3 day suspension, that is used as a warning. If it's a second time, it's termination.

So if you asked a female co-worker if you could kiss her hand and she was okay with it, but your other co-workers saw and complained to the boss, your boss would put you on a 3-day suspension risking a decrease in productivity?

I highly doubt that.

Sadly, the two involved could face suspension. Because at that point, it could be seen as making other coworkers uncomfortably because of the sexuality of it.

Because if they didn't, said third employee involved could in theory go get a lawyer and claim that they were sexually harassed indirectly, and have a legit case to go to court with. The chances of them doing it are low, but even a 1% chance is too much for a large corporation to risk when it comes to things like that.

3 days of decreased production is nothing compared to the cost of lawyers and possible settlements.

Every company has their own protocols, but most companies begin with a verbal or, at least, written warning before taking disciplinary action. Pray tell, what large corporation is so scared of such a frivolous lawsuit that they can't treat their employees as adults and allow them to first correct their own behavior?

One where a majority of the job sites are 90% men and 10% women. We have frequent sexual harassment courses, and are reminded that even a joke that's slightly sexual in nature within earshot of someone that might be made uncomfortable by it is grounds for punishment including suspension, up to termination. We've had quite a few fired for things that seemed to not be that big of a deal.

It's the same with any type of harassment, not just sexual harassment.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Not enough information to make a judgement, but I will say just because something was allowed in the past doesn't make it right. Of course at that age children are learning boundaries, empathy, and what is and is not socially appropriate. Should a child be labeled a sexual predator...of course not!, but I cant say that the school was wrong or right.
    It isn't about allowing vs. not allowing. It's about appropriate responses to normal child development.

but we dont have enough information to know if it is or isnt appropriate. We dont know how many times Hunter was told to leave "Ava" alone. I dont know if it is right or wrong we werent in on any of the meetings.

We also dont know if this child is normal seems there were ongoing issues...we have no idea. Difficult to make a judgement.
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I agree that this shouldn't have been called sexual harrassment, but I do think the kisser should have been disciplined some way. Suspension is a bit harsh but still, if it made the little girl uncomfortable, it shouldn't be overlooked. Kids today know about this stuff too fast so it's difficult to know when to teach what. My ex fiance taught second grade and a little boy in his class threatened to rape a little girl in the class, and when the principal talked to him about it it was very clear that he wasn't just saying rape as a word he'd heard--he knew more than he should for an 8 year old. Ironically that kid also tried to stab my ex with a pair of scissors and was never suspended . . . go figure that a kiss on the hand is more dangerous now than attempted stabbings.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

I highly doubt that.

One where a majority of the job sites are 90% men and 10% women. We have frequent sexual harassment courses, and are reminded that even a joke that's slightly sexual in nature within earshot of someone that might be made uncomfortable by it is grounds for punishment including suspension, up to termination. We've had quite a few fired for things that seemed to not be that big of a deal.

Okay... but those course are required by law. Your employer isn't administering those because they are scared of frivolous sexual harassment lawsuits.
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    kids really cant be kids anymore ... kids do stupid things its part of growing up and learning.. too many adults g0 overboard now a days. schools are defiantly over reaching and overstepping their authority. insanity
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    kids really cant be kids anymore ... kids do stupid things its part of growing up and learning.. too many adults g0 overboard now a days. schools are defiantly over reaching and overstepping their authority. insanity

Yep, this^

No wonder more and more parents are turning to home schooling.

Hell, why have kids at all. Pain in the butt.

And just look at this thread as an example of overreactions by adults. We are holding a six year old up to the standards of adults, workplace rules and slavery
  • sixout
    Options

I highly doubt that.

Okay... but those course are required by law. Your employer isn't administering those because they are scared of frivolous sexual harassment lawsuits.

Not the courses, no. But the way the policy is implemented, yes.
  • Adw7677
    Adw7677 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    WOW. My 12-yr-old hugs everyone she meets. She'd never be allowed in school if we lived in that district.

I wonder.... if we ALLLLLL pull our kids out and homeschool them, wouldn't the schools lose their federal money? They'd surely straigten up then.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

I highly doubt that.

Well of all the corporations that I have studied in pursuit of my MBA in Human Resource Management, that is the most extreme policy I have ever heard of, and can assure you that MOST companies allow the "offenders" a warning before taking disciplinary action.
  • sixout
    Options

I highly doubt that.

Well of all the corporations that I have studied in pursuit of my MBA in Human Resource Management, that is the most extreme policy I have ever heard of, and can assure you that MOST companies allow the "offenders" a warning before taking disciplinary action.

Typically, what I've learned, is that what you read in books while studying something isn't the way it's usually applied in the fields. In the few companies I've worked for in this industry, they've all been overly strict on harassment policies. For most disciplinary action, it goes through the steps. One is a verbal. Two is a written. Three is suspension/termination, depending on the seriousness.

With harassment, it's a separate level, and can be grounds for termination on the first offense. Simply because they're so much training on harassment, it's because of a complete disregard for the rules that someone would break them.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I think Hunter learned a valuable life lesson through this: The only women you can ever trust in your lifetime is your mom.

Lulz aside, I'm willing to bet my rack that the kid didn't learn a thing from it at six.

Well regardless of the offense, I don't personally believe that suspension from school teaches a child anything anyway.

Nah, just teaches him when he gets older how to get out of tests or skip days he doesn't want to go

Or maybe suspension isn't meant to teach a lesson. But to separate the kid from others to keep from doing what they were doing, and the schools actually rely on the parent to do the disciplining? Or is that too logical?

Not too logical at all. However, you're assuming the parent is going to do any disciplining. That's one hell of an assumption to make sometimes

And there's the real issue. Parents teach kids. Kids learn from that. This problem goes away.

And to the person that thinks it's ok for 6 year olds to go play doctor behind the bleachers, seriously. Playing doctor isn't normal behavior. It's something that kids do when they start reaching that level of maturity. And if they're at that level, then they shouldn't be kissing other kids without fear of reprimand.

Never mistake curiousity for maturity, these two things are mutually exclusive. Children will always be curious, some adults aren't even mature. Same thing for puberty, puberty is hormonal and has no baring on maturity.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

I highly doubt that.

Typically, what I've learned, is that what you read in books while studying something isn't the way it's usually applied in the fields. In the few companies I've worked for in this industry, they've all been overly strict on harassment policies. For most disciplinary action, it goes through the steps. One is a verbal. Two is a written. Three is suspension/termination, depending on the seriousness.

With harassment, it's a separate level, and can be grounds for termination on the first offense. Simply because they're so much training on harassment, it's because of a complete disregard for the rules that someone would break them.

What industry?

God forbid, your co-workers decide they don't like you and make up a story just to get you fired. You know, since we were talking about he-said, she-said scenario.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of two episodes involving my younger son.
    My sons are 4 years apart.

My younger son (4 at the time) & I visited my older son at school for their Christmas party.

They were playing music, so my younger son put his hands behind his head, his feet together and swiveled his hips.

The older kids were laughing and joining in until a teacher rushed up and started berating my child over his 'inappropriate' dancing.

My son wasn't being 'inappropriate' - he didn't understand why he was being yelled at for dancing like a mermaid (and I made it clear that I didn't, either)

Fast forward 2 years, he was a kindergartner at the same school (and extremely short - he still is - 22 years old & 5'2)

He was again berated & punished, this time for "pulling down his pants too far to pee"

He was too tiny for the zipper fly uniform, so he had to wear pull on pants.

That wasn't a good enough reason, apparently - they demanded to know why his dad didn't teach him "the correct way to pee"

His dad died when he was 4. I had no idea of "proper pee etiquette", so I didn't teach him.

How was I supposed to know that people would automatically assume that my simple and innocent child would be accused of being a pervert?

Tl;dr?
    Adults are making it waaayyyy to tough for kids to be kids.
  • sixout
    Options

I highly doubt that.

What industry?

God forbid, your co-workers decide they don't like you and make up a story just to get you fired.

Oil.

And it's not that simple. An investigation will occur, and there are teams that fully investigate everything before any kind of punishment is assessed. If it's something that's deemed non intrusive, or simply made up, then most times someone will just write it up as a verbal, not to get the employee in trouble, but simply to cover the supervisor and let the higher ups know that it's been reported and investigated. It's not seen as a strike, or anything like that.

Harassment is pretty much a zero tolerance policy. Same as drugs and alcohol. If someone fails a drug test, it's immediate termination unless they request admission into a rehab policy offered by the company, and can show that they actually do need help.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Oil.

This... was all you had to say.:flowerforyou:

I am familiar with the excessive bureacracy of an over-regulated industry, such as that one.
This discussion has been closed.