You call this a Sexual Predator???

Options

Replies

• sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,129 Member
    Options
    Suspension is a bit harsh but still, if it made the little girl uncomfortable, it shouldn't be overlooked.

But she wasn't uncomfortable.

Because you're that little girl, and you know this.

No, because the article said she was ok with it.

The article says the boy's mom says the boy likes her. Doesn't say the little girl said she was ok with it.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    There are other articles that say the girl was okay with it I think. I haven't seen one though.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I saw something about this on the news. I don't know the full story, as no one except the kids and possibly the teacher do, but I think it depends on all the facts. I don't think a 6 year old is a sexual predator but I also think a 6 year old SHOULD know better than to repeatedly go around kissing girls, even if the girl is okay with it, if he's already gotten in trouble for it before. Being a girl that had gotten what I would call sexual harassment in elementary school(and middle school for that matter) and didn't ever say anything because I was embarrassed, I think that kids should be held accountable for their actions. Who's to know if that kid was just being harmless or if left unchecked he would end up being like the pervy kid who grabbed my butt when I was in 2nd or 3rd grade? Or the plenty of boys who started trying to cop a feel in middle school, or pulling back my bra strap when I'm just trying to get to class... OR the pervert GROWN *kitten* men that whistled at me when I was 12 because I had the misfortune of being completely developed with DD's by then even though I had a baby face that in no way gave off the impression I was anywhere close to being 18. I think situations like that particular story should be handled, there's a difference between just being a sweet kid and being a kid who doesn't listen and keeps doing what he wants even though he knows he's not supposed to.

^^^This

Agree.
  • SmexAppeal
    SmexAppeal Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    That is chivalrous!!!
    And being a gentleman!
    Not like he spanked her on the *kitten* and said, "I'd hit that"
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    There are other articles that say the girl was okay with it I think. I haven't seen one though.

I haven't seen one either. All of them quote the boy's mom. Some of them quote the school. None of them have contacted the girl.
  • Ebcanada
    Ebcanada Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    This is ridiculous. 6 pages of posts trying to take corporate America rules from an HR perspective (which are overkill for an adult) and mold them to the life of a 6 year old boy. I'm 40 so its been along time sense I lived the life of a 6 year old boy, but seeing that I'm a father of a 6 year old I have some insight. Honestly there great years....he's old enough to talk to and young enough to still possess the innocence of youth. Almost everything in his eyes represent something new. With this in mind I highly doubt the boy from the story had a diabolical plan to seduce the girl or force her into sexual acts. But because he kissed her, closed mouth we should label him a sexual predator and accuse him of sexual assault. These are the charges society gives to REAL criminals....you know the ones that confine, beat , and rape. Should we add him to the sex crimes list and make his mother report where they live and when they move. Maybe he needs to report to the police station during Halloween so the other kids feel safe. All of this because this boy saw his dad kiss his mom (or something like that) and thought that's how he could show this girl he liked her. Its a 6 year old mind...it's not that complex. What is complicated is injecting others past or situations into this one. He's not an adult whistling at a 12 year old, he didn't pull some middle school girls bra strap (in the grand picture not that big of a deal) he didn't hug a co-worker as an adult... he also didn't shove his tongue down the girls throat against her will. Ill bet tonight his mother will kiss him good night when he goes to bed. Is that a sex act? Should we label her a sexual predator? Were do we stop?
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    This is ridiculous. 6 pages of posts trying to take corporate America rules from an HR perspective (which are overkill for an adult) and mold them to the life of a 6 year old boy. I'm 40 so its been along time sense I lived the life of a 6 year old boy, but seeing that I'm a father of a 6 year old I have some insight. Honestly there great years....he's old enough to talk to and young enough to still possess the innocence of youth. Almost everything in his eyes represent something new. With this in mind I highly doubt the boy from the story had a diabolical plan to seduce the girl or force her into sexual acts. But because he kissed her, closed mouth we should label him a sexual predator and accuse him of sexual assault. These are the charges society gives to REAL criminals....you know the ones that confine, beat , and rape. Should we add him to the sex crimes list and make his mother report where they live and when they move. Maybe he needs to report to the police station during Halloween so the other kids feel safe. All of this because this boy saw his dad kiss his mom (or something like that) and thought that's how he could show this girl he liked her. Its a 6 year old mind...it's not that complex. What is complicated is injecting others past or situations into this one. He's not an adult whistling at a 12 year old, he didn't pull some middle school girls bra strap (in the grand picture not that big of a deal) he didn't hug a co-worker as an adult... he also didn't shove his tongue down the girls throat against her will. Ill bet tonight his mother will kiss him good night when he goes to bed. Is that a sex act? Should we label her a sexual predator? Were do we stop?

This.
    Why is anyone trying to over-complicate the actions of a child (who is little more than a baby, frankly) with sexual overtones?
    He hasn't even begun puberty. He isn't a sexual being.

If he needs to be corrected for being too rough with other children, so be it. Leave sex out of it.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

This.
    Why is anyone trying to over-complicate the actions of a child (who is little more than a baby, frankly) with sexual overtones?

If he needs to be corrected for being too rough with other children, so be it. Leave sex out of it.

While I agree that this is blown WAY out of proportion, you don't know what that child knows and what he has learned from his parents, siblings, or any other person that he may know.
  • Ebcanada
    Ebcanada Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    He's six! What he knows is that cars and trucks are cool, candy tastes good, and girls are weird...but when asked about girls he giggles and gets uncomfortable. Yes, we don't know his family but we do know his mom cares enough about him to speak up and defend her child. I think that speaks for something.
  • DamePiglet
    Options

This.

While I agree that this is blown WAY out of proportion, you don't know what that child knows and what he has learned from his parents, siblings, or any other person that he may know.

Regardless of what he may have seen, he is not a sexual being. He is incapable of 'sexual harassment' because he's incapable of doing something that is actually sexually motivated. Even emulating something that he's seen or heard doesn't make it an act of sexual nature. It makes it an act of imitation.

And yeah, I actually do know that little boys his age haven't reached puberty. Many children whose bodies are experiencing puberty still have pre-pubescent brains.
  • Jonesingmucho
    Jonesingmucho Posts: 4,902 Member
    Options
    I was told by classmates to not let boys kiss you because boys have cooties. I can't believe the cooties issue didn't come out in this case. Still not sure what a cootie is, but I'm pretty sure it is similar to piranha and leprosy.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options

I haven't seen one either. All of them quote the boy's mom. Some of them quote the school. None of them have contacted the girl.

I have a five year old girl. I'm sure "contacting the girl" would do nothing for the clarity of the story at all......

Children of that age are utterly asexual.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

I have a five year old girl. I'm sure "contacting the girl" would do nothing for the clarity of the story at all......

Children of that age are utterly asexual.

plus id never let a bunch blood hungry sensationalist media people contact my minor child...h-ll no, and I better not see her name anywhere
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    My point is that the story we are getting is VERY one-sided. It's a mom who is coming up with every excuse in the book for why her son behaved the way he did.

"Courts and employers generally use the definition of sexual harassment contained in the guidelines of the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). This language has also formed the basis for most state laws prohibiting sexual harassment. The guidelines state:

Unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature constitute sexual harassment when

submission to such conduct is made either explicitly or implicitly a term or condition of an individual's employment,
    submission to or rejection of such conduct by an individual is used as the basis for employment decisions affecting such individuals, or
    such conduct has the purpose or effect of unreasonably interfering with an individual's work performance or creating an intimidating, hostile, or offensive working environment. (29 C.F.R. § 1604.11 [1980])

A key part of the definition is the use of the word unwelcome. Unwelcome or uninvited conduct or communication of a sexual nature is prohibited; welcome or invited actions or words are not unlawful. Sexual or romantic interaction between consenting people at work may be offensive to observers or may violate company policy, but it is not sexual harassment.

The courts have generally concluded that a victim need not say or do a particular thing to indicate unwelcomeness. Instead, a court will review all of the circumstances to determine whether it was reasonably clear to the harasser that the conduct was unwelcome. The courts have recognized that victims may be afraid to express their discomfort if the harasser is their boss or is physically intimidating. Victims may be coerced into going along with sexual talk or activities because they believe they will be punished or fired if they protest. Consent can be given to a relationship and then withdrawn when the relationship ends. Once it is withdrawn, continued romantic or sexual words or actions are not protected by the past relationship and may be sexual harassment.

The law prohibits unwelcome "sexual" conduct and words or actions "of a sexual nature." Some conduct, such as hugging, may be sexual or nonsexual and must be evaluated in context. Sexual harassment may be physical, such as kissing, hugging, pinching, patting, grabbing, blocking the victim's path, leering or staring, or standing very close to the victim. It may also be verbal, which may be oral or written and could include requests"

I think that you'd have to interpret this very, very loosely to say that a 6-year-old is capable of sexual harassment, but he shouldn't be doing what he was doing either.
  • DamePiglet
    Options
    According to the report, the mom wants the words "sexual" and "offender" removed.
    She didn't say that he shouldn't be punished for misbehaving, just that those words should be removed. I agree with her.

If his behavior caused a problem, why couldn't they simply say that he was punished for being disruptive? That he was distracting the girl from her studies?

Even if this little boy is an absolute handful in class, he's not guilty of a sex-based offense. That wording needs to go.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    According to the report, the mom wants the words "sexual" and "offender" removed.
    She didn't say that he shouldn't be punished for misbehaving, just that those words should be removed. I agree with her.

If his behavior caused a problem, why couldn't they simply say that he was punished for being disruptive? That he was distracting the girl from her studies?

Even if this little boy is an absolute handful in class, he's not guilty of a sex-based offense. That wording needs to go.
    Absolutely.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options

Both mother and son told KRDO that Hunter isn't exactly an easy kid to have in class. He's been suspended before for "roughhousing" and for kissing the same first-grader on her cheek.

souds like there is a lot more to it....

Yah....

Anyway I havent read ALL of the replies, but I had an issue when I was around 7 where a boy in my class would constantly try to touch me, lift my skirt up, etc. I got to the point where I wasnt sleeping properly and it was really stressing me out. The teachers wouldnt do anything because he'd throw a fit if he wasnt allowed to sit near me (one time he wanted to sit UNDER the desk and was allowed to do so).

My mum went into the school and told him if he didnt leave me alone he would be in serious trouble. And he stopped.

Regardles sof whether children as seen as 'old enough' to sexually harass someone, it doesnt make it any less traumatic for the person they are harassing.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    A child can sexually harass another child even if they don't realize what they are doing. Honestly, most kids don't know that their behavior is inappropriate until they are corrected.

I'm not sure that a kiss on the hand constitutes the label of sexual harassment. But I have not been a witness to his behavior either.
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,129 Member
    Options

Both mother and son told KRDO that Hunter isn't exactly an easy kid to have in class. He's been suspended before for "roughhousing" and for kissing the same first-grader on her cheek.

souds like there is a lot more to it....

Yah....

Anyway I havent read ALL of the replies, but I had an issue when I was around 7 where a boy in my class would constantly try to touch me, lift my skirt up, etc. I got to the point where I wasnt sleeping properly and it was really stressing me out. The teachers wouldnt do anything because he'd throw a fit if he wasnt allowed to sit near me (one time he wanted to sit UNDER the desk and was allowed to do so).

My mum went into the school and told him if he didnt leave me alone he would be in serious trouble. And he stopped.

Regardles sof whether children as seen as 'old enough' to sexually harass someone, it doesnt make it any less traumatic for the person they are harassing.

But a lot of people will just say, "kids will be kids" here.

I'm surprised this thread is still going, btw.
This discussion has been closed.