Please explain low carbs and it's magical proprieties

Options

Replies

• jaclynhowellpowers
    Options
    This is exactly the way it works. I've been on keto for a little over a month, and hit a loss of 19 pounds today. I stay full, but I make sure to count carbs AND calories on MFP.
  • danishellish
    danishellish Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Here's a link that can explain keto better than I can. All I know is that it works. I'm down almost 30 lbs with keto, after months of the scale and measuring tape refusing to budge.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gZfJejOM8fJsX1iCilmnpp1qmT_KncJwWCR4-EsaEHc/edit?pli=1

just read that article! very informative and I will definitely be giving it a go as I worry about blood sugar levels!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    This is exactly the way it works. I've been on keto for a little over a month, and hit a loss of 19 pounds today. I stay full, but I make sure to count carbs AND calories on MFP.

not really, the calorie deficit you created made you lose weight..not keto
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    IRL, someone actually told me that potatoes are bad because they're white, and white foods are bad for you. :noway:

Food arguments based on racial profiling.

Cool.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    Reading some of these posts is like listening to a lecture by Izzy Moreno.

"That is unverifiable hypotheticalization."
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    IRL, someone actually told me that potatoes are bad because they're white, and white foods are bad for you. :noway:

Cool.

tsk tsk tsk! REVERSE racial profiling! I set her straight.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

Cool.

tsk tsk tsk! REVERSE racial profiling! I set her straight.

:laugh:

:drinker:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    If you can, go watch the documentary "The Perfect Human Diet"--it'll give you a better idea of how our bodies use our food, particularly how it deals with sugars (& carbohydrates which convert into sugars) FIRST in its energy breakdown process because it is a much easier chemically to break down than proteins and fats. When you get all of your energy from the breakdown of sugar, the fats and protein are stored for later use. The basic premise of eating low carb is that you're depriving your body of the "easy" energy source and making it work harder by breaking down more complex chemical compounds. (This is why low carb diets such as Atkins allow limited "complex carbohydrates" as they take much longer to break down.)

The documentary delves into blood sugar/insulin spikes and how that makes us hungry more often, too, but it's been a while since I've watched it so I'm not going to reiterate science that I can't fully remember.

THIS
    No, not this, not even close. The agenda ......sugar and insulin is bad. Reality....eating too many calories get stored as body fat. Regardless of the multiple energy sources the body draws on, it will always be about calories in and out, period.

This.
    And I would be leery of anything seen on TV about diet. Or on the Dr. Oz show.
    The best source for solid information is Guyton's textbook on Medical Physiology.
    Doctors should know this stuff cold but most don't, or don't care to be confrontational to their overweight patients.

And the Essenes. Don't forget the Essenes.

LOL.

They skipped breakfast, didn't you know?

THE ENTIRE ANCIENT WORLD SKIPPED BREAKFAST!!!

Amazing they ever survived without wheat flakes in the morning.

For well over a century, we have been deciphering Egyptian Hieroglyphics from a civilization that lasted for 10,000 years.

Archeologists have not found one writing remotely close to "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day!!!"

Stunning, isn't it?

But let's move on.

The body has two main gears as far as ways to get ATP, which is the entire point of metabolism is some sense.

That is the energy currency of the cell. It is the cell's gasoline.

ALL carbohydrates that are digested (cellulose and a few other types pass through the GI tract unabsorped) enter the serum eventually as 95% glucose, with a bit of fructose thrown in.

Both of these are six-carbon sugars.

In the cell, the six carbon sugar is broken down into two three-carbon units, with the production of ATP. This is called the Anaeobic pathway, because oxygen is NOT needed.

Excess sugar in the cell is quickly polymerized into glycogen and stored. If your glycogen stores are maxed, then the excess is stored as fat. Glycogen can then be broken down for this glucose if energy is needed and the aerobic pathways are not yet in gear.

Fats are more complicated, but basically the fat is broken down into 2 and 3 carbon units, which can be used by the cell in an aerobic way to make ATP. The 3-carbon units that result from the breakdown of the six-carbon glucose molecule can also be used in the AEROBIC pathway.

The AEROBIC pathway takes place in the mitochondria of the cell, which is a very small membrane-enclosed organelle that can actually DIVIDE ON ITS OWN if energy demands prove to be long term.

The areobic pathway can produce something like 18 times the energy from a glucose molecule as can the aerobic pathway.

BOTH glucose and fats provide the 2 and three carbon units for aerobic metabolism. Amino acids from protein that can be broken down into the proper 2 and 3 carbon unit molecules can also be used for fuel under stress conditions.

Now.....

They have figured out roughly when the body shifts from predominantly anaerobic metabolism to fat metabolism.

After a late meal with the usual distribution of carbs, fats, and protein, it takes about 1-2 hours for all of the carbs to be processed. For protein and fat (animal protein is about 40 percent fat) it takes 3-4 hours, and the process burns a fair amount of calories. That is probably why a protein meal is more sating.

After this meal, the body predominantly runs on the glucose-glycogen train to maintain the level of glucose in the blood. After about 8 hours, the primary metabolism shifts over to the burning of fats, triggered by low-NORMAL glucose levels and the fall of insulin. Stress hormones are released and fat is mobilized. LABILE protein begins to be broken down into amino acids so that the glucose levels can be supported, as glucose is the brain's main energy food.

So that is a very general picture.

After eight hours after a meal, fat is now beginning to be burned PREDOMINANTLY and the "stress" hormones are being released, which, in fact, are actually very beneficial in the long term.

So for most people, this is the state their bodies are in when they wake up. Fat is being burned, they have a little bump in GH and cortisol, and the world is good.

But what do they do if they are good and patriotic Americans?

THEY EAT A HEARTY AND "NUTRITIOUS" BREAKFAST!!!

The fat-burning process is immediately shut down, insulin levels soar, and carbs storm back on the scene- with glycogen and fat being MADE if the glucose load is large enough.

You can bet that this is in Guyton's, as well as Hagan's "Breakfast is the least important meal of the day."

And that, in fact, IS why breakfast is the least important meal of the day.

At least part of the reason.

And don't think the scientists in the breakfast food companies don't know this full well.

Class dismissed to watch the original "Time Machine."

Ok, I'm beginning to think you are actually Hagan trying to sell that book.
    It's a strange coincidence that he goes on and on about Guyton's, right?

Right, "Steve"?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Right, "Steve"?

Well done. Your work here is finished.

HardyBoys_S3.jpg
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options

Right, "Steve"?

HardyBoys_S3.jpg

Oooooh, nicely done!

Can we now start reporting these posts as spam? Because, that would be awesome.
  • DamePiglet
    Options

Right, "Steve"?

HardyBoys_S3.jpg

Oooooh, nicely done!

Can we now start reporting these posts as spam? Because, that would be awesome.

url-3.gif
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    The body releases insulin when the sugars released from carbohydrates are in the bloodstream. Insulin is the hormone in the body that 'stores fat', i.e. converts sugars to stored fat. Insulin is the only hormone in the body that stores fat. all other hormones digest stored fat for energy. so essentially a low carb diet reduces the insulin floating around your body and reduces the opportunity to 'store fat' and allows the other hormones that release fat to do their job. in effect, a low carb diet is a low insulin diet and allows 'fat digesting' hormones to burn through your fat.

Ketones are released when the body digests fat. healthy cells in the body can digest BOTH FATS and SUGARS. If there are no Sugars available they will digest FATS. So a diet that is low in sugar/starch/carbs will cause them to switch to consuming FATS.

Curiously, Cancer Cells do not digest FAT, only Sugars. so a low carb diet is also being explored as a supplemental therapy for cancer patients.

That's the simplest explanation I can offer.

That said, you CAN gain weight on Low Carb, simply by consuming enough calories. however, its' very hard to gain FAT weight because the hormone that stores fat (i.e. adipose tissue) is absent. I've been on low carb for some time and while losing fat have been gaining muscle. but I do exercise.

Those who insist a calorie is just a calorie are simply incorrect but I don't want to argue with them. i'm just going to keep doing it and getting the results I get as does everyone I know who actually stops arguing about it and tries it.
  • DamePiglet
    Options
    That said, you CAN gain weight on Low Carb, simply by consuming enough calories. however, its' very hard to gain FAT weight because the hormone that stores fat (i.e. adipose tissue) is absent. I've been on low carb for some time and while losing fat have been gaining muscle. but I do exercise.

Those who insist a calorie is just a calorie are simply incorrect but I don't want to argue with them. i'm just going to keep doing it and getting the results I get as does everyone I know who actually stops arguing about it and tries it.

Keep doing it, that's fine. Whatever works for you. But know that there are plenty of people who gain fat weight eating low carb.
  • Tom_on_keto
    Options

Keep doing it, that's fine. Whatever works for you. But know that there are plenty of people who gain fat weight eating low carb.

Really? I find that hard to believe if they were sticking to their macros. Got any sources for that?
  • caminoslo
    caminoslo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Carbs is the first fuel your body uses to lose weight. After 15 minutes of exersize your body uses fat after the carbs. So you take out the carbs and eat only good carbs your body will burn fat first. Reason why you crave carbs is because your body isn;t getting what it needs thus making you get bigger. If you give your body what it needs which is high protein and fat low sugar and low carbs you dont be grazing and youll lose weihgt effortlessly......
    You see the food pyramid corelection and obeseity its carbs! I have been on low carbs and I dont feel like deprived. Theres more to my story if you wanna see my blog ill give you my youtube
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    "Steve": "...For well over a century, we have been deciphering Egyptian Hieroglyphics from a civilization that lasted for 10,000 years.

Archeologists have not found one writing remotely close to "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day!!!"..."

And yet, some of those same archeologists studied mummified corpses and estimated that many many Egyptians, had a distinct problem with obesity, judging by the deflated belly flaps that they observed on the mummies. When they found Queen Hatshepsut's mummy, they concluded that, " ... the woman was about 50 when she died. She was overweight and had bad teeth. She probably had diabetes and died of bone cancer, which had spread through her body...." http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/27/world/middleeast/27mummy.html

Bad teeth are a hallmark of a high carbohydrate diet (which Egyptians ate). The fertile Nile Valley produced an abundance of vegetables and especially fruit--the Egyptians were very fond of melons (a hot dry climate--duh). Their main staple was a coarse wheat bread and they ate little meat or fat. The wealthiest Egyptians were fond of honeyed wheat cakes (honey was expensive). Hunter-gatherers from that era had no such "diseases of civilization". They ate a much lower proportion of their calories in carbohydrates.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    The body releases insulin when the sugars released from carbohydrates are in the bloodstream. Insulin is the hormone in the body that 'stores fat', i.e. converts sugars to stored fat. Insulin is the only hormone in the body that stores fat. all other hormones digest stored fat for energy. so essentially a low carb diet reduces the insulin floating around your body and reduces the opportunity to 'store fat' and allows the other hormones that release fat to do their job. in effect, a low carb diet is a low insulin diet and allows 'fat digesting' hormones to burn through your fat.

If what you say is true, especially the bolded part, how do you account for the fact that protein causes just as much of an insulin release as carbs. Hint: You have totally missed the boat and are clueless as to what insulin really does.

Also, in a calorie deficit, how does fat get stored?

As far as fat digesting hormones, you again are clueless beyond clueless.

Edited for grammar.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    That said, you CAN gain weight on Low Carb, simply by consuming enough calories. however, its' very hard to gain FAT weight because the hormone that stores fat (i.e. adipose tissue) is absent.

Nope, that's flat out incorrect, as evidenced by the endless threads on low-carb boards from people who are gaining "FAT" weight because they thought calories don't matter if you don't eat carbs.

You wrap everything in bacon and start dropping sticks of butter to make "bulletproof coffee" (truly one of the most idiotic "diet" schemes ever conceived) and you're gonna gain weight...and that weight is gonna be fat...
  • DamePiglet
    Options

Really? I find that hard to believe if they were sticking to their macros. Got any sources for that?

I wasn't talking about people who are doing IIFYM (which has net calories as a large component for weight loss, btw.), I was talking about ones who eat low carb & high calorie, expecting to lose weight but instead gain it.
    I could give photos and phone numbers as my sources. They'll swear on a stack of bibles that low carb is the way to go, won't eat a bite of white bread or pasta, meanwhile they're over 200 lbs and wonder why they aren't losing weight.

Btw... Not muscle weight.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I like turtles.

I also like "bulletproof" coffee. I almost never have breakfast...but when I do, it's almost always comprised only of this blended coffee.
This discussion has been closed.