water fasting

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    And here we go again.........fasts don't work, cleanses don't work. Stop being foolish.....ugh.
    Please tell us about your last water fast and how it didn't work. If you are knocking on something you have never tried, and know nothing about, you are the one who is being foolish.

Do you even science?
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    In, Today I'm going to drink water really FAST! :laugh:
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Jesus done a 40 day fast Ghandi done a 21 day fast

Neither of the two fasted for weight loss... Context matters.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    And here we go again.........fasts don't work, cleanses don't work. Stop being foolish.....ugh.
    Please tell us about your last water fast and how it didn't work. If you are knocking on something you have never tried, and know nothing about, you are the one who is being foolish.

Do you even science?

How do you even know cyanide is poison? Have you ingested any?
  • laurenislost
    laurenislost Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    With the breakfast tacos and donuts that my coworkers bring to the office, my weak will would force me to quit the fast :o
  • delicious_cocktail
    Options
    I'm not against normal dieting and exercise ive lost four stone in the past year with exercise and diet just my weight is stuck now so doing a fast should hopefully kick start the weight loss again that's all

no, you can't "kick start weight loss..its not like a car batter that dies..

There is a psychological benefit for some people in going on a strict plan. Slow-and-steady all the time does not work for everyone. It's a "myth" of dieting.

Why are you advocating a starvation diet to a 20-year-old girl for its psychological benefits?
  • Tiernan1212
    Tiernan1212 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    There nothing wrong with listening to others and changing your plans if you believe the other people are trying to help and encourage you in do things the right way and the healthy way :)

I am so proud of you! I now have no question in my mind that you will be a stunning success. High five!!!!!!!!!!!

+1 :flowerforyou:

I wish the people that gripe about everyone being mean could see the OP's reactions in this thread.
  • melzielkie
    melzielkie Posts: 90 Member
    Options

Do you even science?

LOL
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Yes you read it correctly if you don't agree with fasting than just don't comment this page is for people who are curious and might want to give it ago not for people to say its wrong if its so wrong why can doctors recommend the diet to people and monitor people they would tell you not to not help you with the fast j suggest anyone who doesn't no about fasts looks them up and does there research Jesus done a 40 day fast Ghandi done a 21 day fast

"If you don't agree then don't comment."

Alrighty then.

But be aware that this is against MFP terms of use - any promotion of unsafe methods including VLCD, etc.

I'm surprised the thread has lasted this long…

ETA: read a bit more and I see the OP is willing to take advice. Very glad to hear!
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    In...

...to try to figure out what's going on in here.
    apparently someone else is as well.
  • sbbhbm
    sbbhbm Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Ah, at first I thought the OP was doing a fast for the sake of fasting. Took a few pages to see OP is just trying the quickest route to drop weight. But here is my input from personal experience either way-

I did a 21 day straight water fast, it was for spiritual reasons, not weight loss. Day one is annoying, day two is painful, day three is exhausting.... and then your body goes in to starvation mode. Like ACTUAL starvation mode, not this BS if you eat less than 1200 calories a day "starvation mode" everyone on here is always throwing around. Real starvation mode, your body primes itself for survival. Your senses sharpen, you think clearer... your body does not instantly start eating your muscles and your organs people. It's priming itself for survival- muscles are pretty far down the list of emergency energy sources. Muscle in an animal is essential in obtaining food. Any species that sacrificed all its muscle and so was unable to carry the extra amount of fat it had would come to a dead end very fast. We're not made like that. The body will sacrifice muscle to obtain essential protein, but its utilization as an energy source is pretty close to a last resort. Fat is the single most concentrated energy source in the human body. In humans it exists almost exclusively as an energy reserve, to maintain energy levels in times of crisis. It gets broken down exclusively to maintain energy levels. If our bodies really broke down/shut down/ate themselves the way everyone on here seems to think, then humanity wouldn't have survived the famines that occurred throughout time- we'd have all been muscle-less, organ-less, brainless bags of flesh that couldn't try to hunt or gather after three or four days...

I started my fast on an extended weekend, so I could get through the hard part at home. Once my body went in to survival mode, the hunger pains stopped, and I went on about my life. I worked every day, took care of my 2 year old every day, maintained my house work, etc. I lived life, not a big deal. I didn't feel drained or tired, I felt quite good actually.

So here is the rest of the experience I had coming out of 21 straight days of nothing but water- I lost weight, yes. About 15 pounds. I came out of the fast by slowly increasing my caloric intake- I focused on proteins and fats. I took a week and gradually increased up to 1600 cals a day. I rested during that week. I had no measurable loss in how much weight I could lift in the gym a week later when I resumed my normal workout schedule, so my muscles handled the fast and recovered just fine. I did put some of the weight back on, about 5 pounds of it, but since I wasn't fasting to lose weight I didn't particularly care. It wouldn't have bothered me to put all 15 back on.
  • delicious_cocktail
    Options
    Ah, at first I thought the OP was doing a fast for the sake of fasting. Took a few pages to see OP is just trying the quickest route to drop weight. But here is my input from personal experience either way-
    [snip]

So, you didn't eat *any* food for three weeks and you lost ten pounds net.

I realize you did yours for spiritual reasons, but it sounds like a terrible way to lose weight.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Are you taking any supplements with it? I heard that you can get pretty sick doing a just water fast without any vitamins for an extended amount of time.
    Taking supplements would not be fasting. And taking supplements during a fast is not necessary. It's helpful to have a lead in diet, for a few days before the fast, with a lot of micro-nutrient rich food.

That's not the medical definition of fasting. People are prescribed supplements. So do people who practice Intermittent Fasting. They are considered necessary. If you're on a three-day fast, it doesn't matter, but if you're on an extended fast, or are doing IF on a regular basis, you should take vitamins.

So fasting wasn't invented until vitamins?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

I mean if you want to lose muscle mass and look like a concentration camp survivor, then sure, a 50 day water fast is a great idea..

I will stick with eating 2500 a day and lifting heavy...
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

I did a 21 day straight water fast, it was for spiritual reasons, not weight loss. Day one is annoying, day two is painful, day three is exhausting.... and then your body goes in to starvation mode. Like ACTUAL starvation mode, not this BS if you eat less than 1200 calories a day "starvation mode" everyone on here is always throwing around. Real starvation mode, your body primes itself for survival. Your senses sharpen, you think clearer... your body does not instantly start eating your muscles and your organs people. It's priming itself for survival- muscles are pretty far down the list of emergency energy sources. Muscle in an animal is essential in obtaining food. Any species that sacrificed all its muscle and so was unable to carry the extra amount of fat it had would come to a dead end very fast. We're not made like that. The body will sacrifice muscle to obtain essential protein, but its utilization as an energy source is pretty close to a last resort. Fat is the single most concentrated energy source in the human body. In humans it exists almost exclusively as an energy reserve, to maintain energy levels in times of crisis. It gets broken down exclusively to maintain energy levels. If our bodies really broke down/shut down/ate themselves the way everyone on here seems to think, then humanity wouldn't have survived the famines that occurred throughout time- we'd have all been muscle-less, organ-less, brainless bags of flesh that couldn't try to hunt or gather after three or four days...

I started my fast on an extended weekend, so I could get through the hard part at home. Once my body went in to survival mode, the hunger pains stopped, and I went on about my life. I worked every day, took care of my 2 year old every day, maintained my house work, etc. I lived life, not a big deal. I didn't feel drained or tired, I felt quite good actually.

So here is the rest of the experience I had coming out of 21 straight days of nothing but water- I lost weight, yes. About 15 pounds. I came out of the fast by slowly increasing my caloric intake- I focused on proteins and fats. I took a week and gradually increased up to 1600 cals a day. I rested during that week. I had no measurable loss in how much weight I could lift in the gym a week later when I resumed my normal workout schedule, so my muscles handled the fast and recovered just fine. I did put some of the weight back on, about 5 pounds of it, but since I wasn't fasting to lose weight I didn't particularly care. It wouldn't have bothered me to put all 15 back on.
    How dare you actually know what you are talking about?

The people who bash it, have never done it and know nothing about it. The people who have tried it know better. Thanks for your post.
  • delicious_cocktail
    Options
    The people who bash it, have never done it and know nothing about it. The people who have tried it know better. Thanks for your post.

. . . I heard from someone on the internet that cyanide helps you lose weight.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Water fasting... please. I do vodka fasting. Much better results.

^ in sufficient quantities it's a natural purgative.

I only do it when I'm doing a cut. Or bored. Or lonely.

I usually cry during extended vodka fasts too, it helps flush out the toxins in my life.

The tears also contain salt, so it helps to lower sodium - excellent point!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Jesus done a 40 day fast Ghandi done a 21 day fast

Neither of the two fasted for weight loss... Context matters.
    There's no proof one of them even existed... so there's that. And Ghandi wasn't exactly the picture of physical perfection.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    <snip>

I realize your intentions were good, but I wish you hadn't chosen to post this here.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

How dare you actually know what you are talking about?

And on this day...no science was done.
This discussion has been closed.