water fasting

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Jesus done a 40 day fast Ghandi done a 21 day fast

Neither of the two fasted for weight loss... Context matters.
    There's no proof one of them even existed... so there's that. And Ghandi wasn't exactly the picture of physical perfection.

not to go off on a tangent here but Jesus was actually chronicled by Roman Historians...so pretty sure he existed...
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    With the breakfast tacos and donuts that my coworkers bring to the office, my weak will would force me to quit the fast :o

why not do a tacos and donuts fast? I would. Sounds very uplifting.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

So here is the rest of the experience I had coming out of 21 straight days of nothing but water- I lost weight, yes. About 15 pounds. I came out of the fast by slowly increasing my caloric intake- I focused on proteins and fats. I took a week and gradually increased up to 1600 cals a day. I rested during that week. I had no measurable loss in how much weight I could lift in the gym a week later when I resumed my normal workout schedule, so my muscles handled the fast and recovered just fine. I did put some of the weight back on, about 5 pounds of it, but since I wasn't fasting to lose weight I didn't particularly care. It wouldn't have bothered me to put all 15 back on.

I have serious doubts that your gym performance did not suffer after 21 straight days of just water...

on my most recent cut - about 1800 cals a day - I definitely noticed a drop off...
  • Jane2285
    Jane2285 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Water fasting is ridiculous....you don't want to do that. A healthy diet will get you what you need and want. Exercise...eat right...and quit trying to do it fast. Weight loss isn't going to happen over night...if it did, someone would be a millionaire by now...or you can get liposuction I guess...LOL:) So I guess, in theory, weight loss can happen overnight. Wow...weird. But, don't do it, and work for your what you want! Trust me, it will be way more rewarding in the end when you have WORKED to get your goals accomplished:)
  • Jane2285
    Options
    [/quote]

. . . I heard from someone on the internet that cyanide helps you lose weight.
    [/quote]

Hahaha. I lost it on this one...You guys are sooooo funny!!!! :) Vodka fasting is more helpful!!!!!! Just stay away from the alcohol munchies!!!!

Megan:)
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    And here we go again.........fasts don't work, cleanses don't work. Stop being foolish.....ugh.
    Please tell us about your last water fast and how it didn't work. If you are knocking on something you have never tried, and know nothing about, you are the one who is being foolish.

I mean if you want to lose muscle mass and look like a concentration camp survivor, then sure, a 50 day water fast is a great idea..

I will stick with eating 2500 a day and lifting heavy...
    If you are fasting long enough to lose your muscle, or staying active during the fast, you are doing it wrong. Most people wont lose a lot of muscle on a fast, which is EXACTLY what people who have actually done it say! The only yahoos claiming that you will lose massive amounts of muscle are ignorant on the subject of water only fasting.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Day one is annoying, day two is painful,

Ah, annoyance and pain - the essential components of any diet plan.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    And here we go again.........fasts don't work, cleanses don't work. Stop being foolish.....ugh.
    Please tell us about your last water fast and how it didn't work. If you are knocking on something you have never tried, and know nothing about, you are the one who is being foolish.

I mean if you want to lose muscle mass and look like a concentration camp survivor, then sure, a 50 day water fast is a great idea..

I will stick with eating 2500 a day and lifting heavy...
    If you are fasting long enough to lose your muscle, or staying active during the fast, you are doing it wrong. Most people wont lose a lot of muscle on a fast, which is EXACTLY what people who have actually done it say! The only yahoos claiming that you will lose massive amounts of muscle are ignorant on the subject of water only fasting.

I'm sure all your anecdotal evidence, took DEXAs before and after to exactly know that. And you already contradicted yourself,

"If you are fasting long enough to lose your muscle, or staying active during the fast, you are doing it wrong"

" Most people wont lose a lot of muscle on a fast,"

So if you lose muscle during a fast you're doing it wrong, then state people will lose muscle during a fast but not "a lot", so they're all doing it wrong? Who is the yahoo here?
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options

Can you please, PLEASE stop advocating a Zero Calorie Diet? It's against the community guidelines, and for damned good reason.
  • Jane2285
    Options

Hm....must be doing it wrong. I think working out, eating less, avoiding alcohol (most days), and fast food was fun!! I mean super exciting....I need to find something that is annoying or painful..:)
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Ah, at first I thought the OP was doing a fast for the sake of fasting. Took a few pages to see OP is just trying the quickest route to drop weight. But here is my input from personal experience either way-

I did a 21 day straight water fast, it was for spiritual reasons, not weight loss. Day one is annoying, day two is painful, day three is exhausting.... and then your body goes in to starvation mode. Like ACTUAL starvation mode, not this BS if you eat less than 1200 calories a day "starvation mode" everyone on here is always throwing around. Real starvation mode, your body primes itself for survival. Your senses sharpen, you think clearer... your body does not instantly start eating your muscles and your organs people. It's priming itself for survival- muscles are pretty far down the list of emergency energy sources. Muscle in an animal is essential in obtaining food. Any species that sacrificed all its muscle and so was unable to carry the extra amount of fat it had would come to a dead end very fast. We're not made like that. The body will sacrifice muscle to obtain essential protein, but its utilization as an energy source is pretty close to a last resort. Fat is the single most concentrated energy source in the human body. In humans it exists almost exclusively as an energy reserve, to maintain energy levels in times of crisis. It gets broken down exclusively to maintain energy levels. If our bodies really broke down/shut down/ate themselves the way everyone on here seems to think, then humanity wouldn't have survived the famines that occurred throughout time- we'd have all been muscle-less, organ-less, brainless bags of flesh that couldn't try to hunt or gather after three or four days...

I started my fast on an extended weekend, so I could get through the hard part at home. Once my body went in to survival mode, the hunger pains stopped, and I went on about my life. I worked every day, took care of my 2 year old every day, maintained my house work, etc. I lived life, not a big deal. I didn't feel drained or tired, I felt quite good actually.

So here is the rest of the experience I had coming out of 21 straight days of nothing but water- I lost weight, yes. About 15 pounds. I came out of the fast by slowly increasing my caloric intake- I focused on proteins and fats. I took a week and gradually increased up to 1600 cals a day. I rested during that week. I had no measurable loss in how much weight I could lift in the gym a week later when I resumed my normal workout schedule, so my muscles handled the fast and recovered just fine. I did put some of the weight back on, about 5 pounds of it, but since I wasn't fasting to lose weight I didn't particularly care. It wouldn't have bothered me to put all 15 back on.

Yeah, sure.

Makes about as much sense as gaining 3 pounds per day magically.
    Oh, wait.

That's exactly what you write in your profile.

" I inexplicably gained over 100 pounds in three months. Yes, 3 or more pounds a day. I was a vegetarian at the time, and it made zero sense."

You still make zero sense.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

Can you please, PLEASE stop advocating a Zero Calorie Diet? It's against the community guidelines, and for damned good reason.
    THIS^
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,680 Member
    Options
    Whether the OP or supporters do it or not, for the general public, this isn't a sensible way to lose body fat. Just eat less than you burn and add some physical activity for health and fitness. That's it in a nutshell. No need to go through an extreme method.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Rocbola
    Options

Hm....must be doing it wrong. I think working out, eating less, avoiding alcohol (most days), and fast food was fun!! I mean super exciting....I need to find something that is annoying or painful..:)
    Get to day 4 or 5 for some fun.
  • pkdscript
    pkdscript Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Why would you do that?
  • sbbhbm
    sbbhbm Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

Well thankfully I wasn't doing it to lose weight or diet. As you can see by my ticker, I know how to lose weight, and I have done it in a safe, slow and appropriate manner.

As to the comment about "no science has been done here", well, yes actually it has.

And regards to the gym performance- I think the primary reason, ndj1979 you would see a greater difference in lifting ability than I did, is that I'm sure you lift a hell of a lot more than I do. And at that time, I wasn't doing heavy lifting, I was still under the delusion at the time that women need light weights and tons of reps. I know better now- now I lift heavy, and I'm sure if I were to repeat the fast, I would notice a more significant loss, I will grant that.

I am absolutely NOT promoting a water fast for weight loss, not even in the slightest.
  • Rocbola
    Options
    Whether the OP or supporters do it or not, for the general public, this isn't a sensible way to lose body fat. Just eat less than you burn and add some physical activity for health and fitness. That's it in a nutshell. No need to go through an extreme method.

IDEA Fitness member
    I should clarify my point of view, and that is that fasting as a means to lose body fat is not the right reason for fasting. Fasting can be used to treat hypertension and various other diseases; weight loss is just the side effect.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member
    I should clarify my point of view, and that is that fasting as a means to lose body fat is not the right reason for fasting. Fasting can be used to treat hypertension and various other diseases; weight loss is just the side effect.

It's also good to treat life.
  • megan60
    Options
    What is a water fast exactly?? How long should you go on a water fast for?
This discussion has been closed.