Just count calories... really?

Options
MireyGal76
MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
"Eat all the addictive processed crap you want, just count calories"

I read this statement in one of the other threads, and it was intended as a slur to those who follow this mantra.
I just wanted to say WHY that mantra works for me.

I LOVE donuts, fancy coffees, ranch dressing, pizza, ice cream, cookies, and ooooooh DORITOS... pretty much most of the foods that are labeled "bad", I have a soft spot for.

When I decided I wanted a six pack, my friend told me I'd never be able to get one because I'd have to eat "clean" - cut out ALL of those things that I love. I wrote it off and said, "well, I guess I'll never get a six pack then".

When I found MFP, I was introduced to calorie counting. I'd heard about it before, but I had NO IDEA where to start... protein? fat? carbs? sodium? :sad: It confused the HELL out of me.

I committed to counting calories and staying within my target range... which at the time was around 1800 calories per day.

I quickly found that while I love those processed and sweet foods, they sucked my calorie limit for the day by noon!

So... I began to adjust... I naturally started cutting back, because I was determined to stay within my calories, and I love to eat. I hate feeling hungry. A 500 calorie donut satisfies my emotions temporarily, but 8 ounces of chicken breast does that soooo much more.

I allow myself treats. I eat so called "bad" food - daily - but I also make SMARTER choices... and those smarter choices helped me get to where I am now, without trying to live a life that I would hate and I know would cause me to binge.

tldr_trollcat.JPG
I count calories. I love to eat. I do not eat "clean" but I am certainly eating CLEANER... because it helps me feel fuller longer. I allow treats. I live and enjoy life. And it works FOR ME.

Do what works for you. :)

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    :heart: :drinker:

And this... is the definition of IIFYM!!!
  • lauraspberry
    lauraspberry Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I believe you because you look great! I allow treats too! As long as they dont compose most of my cal intakes :) I dont think a diet that is too restrictive can bring about the effects that I'm wanting to see in myself :)
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Yup!
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    this go 'round i'm eating a candy bar or something everyday. i'm a little more lose in my macros but i make sure i get my protein and stay within 100 cals of my goal.

rather then dreaming about candy bars, i'm getting a little board of them lol.

I had pizza with my niece and nephews last night. budgeted for it at the start of the day. that meant i couldn't have any food or alcohol at the office christmass party. The one was more important to me then the other. But just because one is open to eatting pretty much any food, doesn't mean they don't have to deny themselves in some ways.

The only thing i don't like about it is all the 'fake' crap in foods that come out of a wrapper. when i was basically just eating meat fruit and nuts i was getting a lot less of that. probably i'm still getting little enough of it that it would not impact my health
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    I count calories. I love to eat. I do not eat "clean" but I am certainly eating CLEANER... because it helps me feel fuller longer. I allow treats. I live and enjoy life. And it works FOR ME.

Do what works for you. :)

sSgIVC1.jpg
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I do me. Don't really need to get high and mighty about how others eat, don't eat, or should eat. Calorie rich, calorie light, calorie dense, calorie free, whatevah.
  • disneygallagirl
    disneygallagirl Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Fabulous, and you have figured out an enduring lifestyle! :smile:
  • MireyGal76
    Options
    I do me. Don't really need to get high and mighty about how others eat, don't eat, or should eat. Calorie rich, calorie light, calorie dense, calorie free, whatevah.

EXACTLY!
  • MireyGal76
    Options
    this go 'round i'm eating a candy bar or something everyday. i'm a little more lose in my macros but i make sure i get my protein and stay within 100 cals of my goal.

I had pizza with my niece and nephews last night. budgeted for it at the start of the day. that meant i couldn't have any food or alcohol at the office christmass party. The one was more important to me then the other. But just because one is open to eatting pretty much any food, doesn't mean they don't have to deny themselves in some ways.

The only thing i don't like about it is all the 'fake' crap in foods that come out of a wrapper. when i was basically just eating meat fruit and nuts i was getting a lot less of that. probably i'm still getting little enough of it that it would not impact my health

The line that really stands out for me is this:

That's the same for me... if I deny myself something, all of a sudden it starts to get larger than life. That treat which I can't have suddenly becomes that which I must have. If it's not off limits... I don't care as much.

It's a weird behavior for me, but I recognize it and work with it. :)
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m1rkzpHj1n1r6aoq4o1_500_zps2c091f68.gif
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

I quickly found that while I love those processed and sweet foods, they sucked my calorie limit for the day by noon!
    Exactly.
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    :heart: :drinker:

And this... is the definition of IIFYM!!!

PREACH
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    EXACTLY! Cals in/cals out! Its what helped me break through a plateau and still continuing to lose! I enjoy all the foods I love, just in moderation now!
  • littleworm23
    littleworm23 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    This could have been written by me (except that I don't have a six pack and probably never will lol). I agree whole heartedly with you. If I didn't allow myself "bad foods" then I would be more likely to binge on them at some point. I know this to be true from past experience. I'm glad you posted this. :)
  • wsuduce
    wsuduce Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Great post! I agree 10x :)
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Exactly.
    The point

Your tinfoil wrapped head
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    And it doesn't work for me... so?

I love how I eat and if WHAT I eat matters to me and I want to share my experience with other people who are struggling with the "just calories" approach like I did for 20 years (and destroyed my health doing it) why does that have to be continually ridiculed?

I don't care what you eat. However, when someone has a question or a health problem that I have experience with my view is no less valid than the IIFYM crowd. Yet, I'm treated like a piece of *kitten*.
  • Nikoruo
    Nikoruo Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    That is my general goal. I want to go down to my goal weight of 140lbs or so and then bulk up a bit. I don't want to get rid of all my 'bad' foods because really, you don't need to... just portion control. Eat less. Keep it at one unhealthy snack a day or so! That's how i've lost what i've lost so far :) Some day i hope to have a fabulous bod like you! :D
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

Exactly.
    The point

Your tinfoil wrapped head
    How in the heck do you get tin foil from a single word!?!?!? Lol haters are going to hate.