Don't forget to get your flu shot!

Options

Replies

• WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    Guess I'm part of those that don't care about other people. Natural selection I suppose.

No flu shot for me.

Case in point. :huh:

It's nice to know that you think my beautiful niece doesn't deserve to be protected from an easily preventable disease because she's "not fit".

I was being sarcastic in that statement. I don't know your niece but I am guessing that if her immune system is not healthy her family will keep her out of public places and make it well known to visitors that they can't come if they are sick.

If it was an attempt at sarcastic humor, it wasn't funny.

Her parents take as many precautions as they can, but basically you're saying that this child should live in a bubble and never leave her home? Because a select portion of the population thinks they're too special to help prevent and spread easily preventable diseases? Cool story, bro.

This is the child I'm talking about. And not just for you, but for anyone else choosing not to get vaccinated because they're not worried about their own health - think about other people and other people's children when you make that choice, and decide if it's worth it.

14incba.png

Cute kid, however, I have no emotional connection to her or your family. Sorry. Guess that makes me a robot. I have a friend who's baby was born with a very rare metabolic disorder. I have done what I can to help them raise money. I know I can't be around her because it could crash her system. However, her parents have figured out that people have their own choices to make and therefore don't judge other becuase of it. If I choose to not get my shot, does it hurt them at all? Nope. It just means I stay away. No hard feelings. And unless you come up with a cure for the common cold and other "bugs" there will be a lot more than the flu that can hurt a child or anyone with a low immune system.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Not having one.
  • samkelly89
    samkelly89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't get the shot. And now that I have a daughter I wasn't sure if I should make her get one or not. But turns out she is allergic to eggs and can't have it anyway. Thanks God for making the decision for me ;)

There are alternative vaccines for those allergic to eggs. IIRC the nasal spray version is fine for those people. So it's not really God making a decision for you.
    lame. I still took it as a sign :p
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    no
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't get the shot. And now that I have a daughter I wasn't sure if I should make her get one or not. But turns out she is allergic to eggs and can't have it anyway. Thanks God for making the decision for me ;)

There are alternative vaccines for those allergic to eggs. IIRC the nasal spray version is fine for those people. So it's not really God making a decision for you.

One time I went to the gym and tripped on a dumbbell.

I thanked God for making the decision never to go to the gym again for me.

;)
  • samkelly89
    Options

;)

jeeze you're on fire today. settle down
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I don't get the flu shot and won't ever. I'm not worried about catching it from other people. If I get it, I get it.

To the person inferring people like me are hypocrites from not getting the flu shot while getting MMR shots, last I knew, the flu shot wasn't legally mandatory in order to attend U.S./Canadian schools.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    And remember, kids, it only protects against some of the more common or more severe strains, not every flu. So getting sick anyway is a crappy reason not to get one. Maybe you get an uncommon strain, but at least you won't get that AND swine flu or whatever it is this year.

If you care about being a decent human being and protecting old people/kids/immunocompromised people you encounter, just get the stupid shot unless you have a legit medical reason of your own...which you probably don't.

People who trot out tired anecdotes about "getting sick anyway" or "the shot makes me sick" try my patience severely.

Yes, not getting the flu shot is all apart of my diabolical plan to infect everyone. You found me out! Are you a hypochondriac?

Nope. Do you know what that word means? It's used to describe someone who believes they are sick when they are not. I don't think I said a word about getting sick myself.

I know how much more dangerous the flu is for certain segments of our population though, and I do my part to help them out. My boyfriend has asthma and has a very frail, elderly grandmother, and so I feel that any small thing I can do to help keep them healthy is well worth it. I try my best to think of other people when I can.

Yes, I know what it means and I asked if you were that. Or maybe you just have this ridiculous sense of self-righteousness. Implying that people aren't decent human beings because they do not receive a yearly flu shot is, in a word, dumb.

Brb not giving kids candy on Halloween, might cause diabetes
    Brb not driving, the carbon monoxide might kill someone with a lung condition
    Brb not inviting friends and family over to swim in the lake, might catch a brain eating parasite

None of the things you are now saying have any relationship to the topic at hand, and personal insults aren't necessary. I'm sorry you've mistaken "care for others" as "self-righteousness." I will have to be more careful with my tone.

I've said all I need to say about this topic, though. I think flu shots are important. Some of you don't. We won't be changing each other's minds.
  • jonnythan
    Options

;)

I was banned for a couple weeks. I have a lot of pent-up snark to let out.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Guess I'm part of those that don't care about other people. Natural selection I suppose.

No flu shot for me.

It's nice to know that you think my beautiful niece doesn't deserve to be protected from an easily preventable disease because she's "not fit".

I was being sarcastic in that statement. I don't know your niece but I am guessing that if her immune system is not healthy her family will keep her out of public places and make it well known to visitors that they can't come if they are sick.

Her parents take as many precautions as they can, but basically you're saying that this child should live in a bubble and never leave her home? Because a select portion of the population thinks they're too special to help prevent and spread easily preventable diseases? Cool story, bro.

This is the child I'm talking about. And not just for you, but for anyone else choosing not to get vaccinated because they're not worried about their own health - think about other people and other people's children when you make that choice, and decide if it's worth it.

14incba.png

Cute kid, however, I have no emotional connection to her or your family. Sorry. Guess that makes me a robot. I have a friend who's baby was born with a very rare metabolic disorder. I have done what I can to help them raise money. I know I can't be around her because it could crash her system. However, her parents have figured out that people have their own choices to make and therefore don't judge other becuase of it. If I choose to not get my shot, does it hurt them at all? Nope. It just means I stay away. No hard feelings. And unless you come up with a cure for the common cold and other "bugs" there will be a lot more than the flu that can hurt a child or anyone with a low immune system.

Mm. False dichotomies. Delicious!
  • samkelly89
    Options

;)

I was banned for a couple weeks. I have a lot of pent-up snark to let out.

lucky me

You need a hug.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I don't get the flu shot and won't ever. I'm not worried about catching it from other people. If I get it, I get it.

To the person inferring people like me are hypocrites from not getting the flu shot while getting MMR shots, last I knew, the flu shot wasn't legally mandatory in order to attend U.S./Canadian schools.

The problem with this is that you're contagious for a day or two before you have any symptoms.

So if you do get the flu, you could pass it on to dozens of people before you are even aware you're spreading it.

And once you are showing symptoms, chances are you won't spend the next week in total isolation, so you'll keep on spreading it to people.

The flu shot is not just about you - it's about everyone else.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options

No flu shot for me.

14incba.png

Well, I've tried several times to draft a post that's not completely dripping with rage and/or sarcasm, and have been unsuccessful, so I'm out. I've stated my view. Have a nice day.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Its too late. If you haven't done it by now, you're already dead.

Is THAT what's wrong?
  • punkyjones
    punkyjones Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Never had one.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

I'm also allergic to eggs. There is an egg-free injected vaccination available. I get mine at my kids' pediatrician every year. They order a lot of it because they have many patients with egg allergies. I was told the FluMist still contains egg proteins.

Anyway, egg-free vaccines are available on the market. If you want to vaccinate your daughter, the options are there, but you have to seek them out.

Thanks for the reminder, Mr Harsh! All dosed up over here. My household will not be "spreading the love" this year. :wink:
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options

The problem with this is that you're contagious for a day or two before you have any symptoms.

So if you do get the flu, you could pass it on to dozens of people before you are even aware you're spreading it.

And once you are showing symptoms, chances are you won't spend the next week in total isolation, so you'll keep on spreading it to people.

Legit question. So if all the people who don't get the flu shot catch it, will they only spread it to others who didn't get the flu shot. So they will just be infecting each other while us vacinnated peeps sit in our ivory (or is that irony) towers and laugh?

Or are there certain segments of the population who just can't receive the vaccinne regardless of whether they would like to or not?
  • jonnythan
    Options

if you do get the flu, you could pass it on to dozens of people before you are even aware you're spreading it.

Legit question. So if all the people who don't get the flu shot catch it, will they only spread it to others who didn't get the flu shot. So they will just be infecting each other while us vacinnated peeps sit in our ivory (or is that irony) towers and laugh?

Or are there certain segments of the population who just can't receive the vaccinne regardless of whether they would like to or not?

The vaccine is not 100% effective even against the strains it is designed to protect against.

It's about mitigating risk, not eliminating it.

There are definitely some segments of the population who cannot get a flu vaccine, yes.

It's not that all the unvaccinated people will get the flu and all the vaccinated people will not. Look at all the people in this very thread who have never gotten either. The idea is that the larger the portion of the population that gets the shot, the smaller the portion of the population that will get the flu. The effect is a combination of people who get the vaccine being less likely to catch the flu, and in turn being less likely to spread thef lu.
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options

Certain people can't. If you have a poor immune system, for example, it's not recommended. Something about egg allergies requires an alternative vaccine.

I have no excuse, I'm just a horrible human being that refuses to get one. I'm ok with that though.
  • coretemp
    coretemp Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options

No, wasn't inferring that people like you are hypocrites, just pointing out that getting a flu shot is no less different in order to help protect your health - or would you adamantly turn down MMR/ Pertussis vaccines too given the chance?

A good bout of swine flu - and you won't miss a flu shot again, LOL