Don't forget to get your flu shot!

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I have never had one and won't until it is "required" which should be very soon under government run healthcare.

We're getting government-run healthcare? How did no one tell me this??
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I got mine in nov...I had the flu last week...

Happens to everyone I know who gets a flu shot...hence the reason I've never done it...

Yep. In 20 years I've had the flu twice, and both times it was after I got the flu shot. I was out of work for a week the last time, so I'm done with those damn shots.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

I have no excuse, I'm just a horrible human being that refuses to get one. I'm ok with that though.

Me too.
    I don't spend time around elderly or babies either, so I'm not too concerned.

If I did spend sufficient time around that cute little girl (or someone like her), I'd certainly re-consider.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I don't get the flu shot and won't ever. I'm not worried about catching it from other people. If I get it, I get it.

To the person inferring people like me are hypocrites from not getting the flu shot while getting MMR shots, last I knew, the flu shot wasn't legally mandatory in order to attend U.S./Canadian schools.

The problem with this is that you're contagious for a day or two before you have any symptoms.

So if you do get the flu, you could pass it on to dozens of people before you are even aware you're spreading it.

And once you are showing symptoms, chances are you won't spend the next week in total isolation, so you'll keep on spreading it to people.

The flu shot is not just about you - it's about everyone else.

I didn't realize it was my sole responsibility to keep others from getting the flu. Clinics should put Smokey the bear on the posters. I understand your logic and reasonings, though.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Happens to everyone I know who gets a flu shot...hence the reason I've never done it...

Yep. In 20 years I've had the flu twice, and both times it was after I got the flu shot. I was out of work for a week the last time, so I'm done with those damn shots.

So..... you think getting the flu shot gave you the flu? Is that what you're saying here?
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Already did but the nurses at my hospital were telling me it wasnt a new strain and I'd probably already been vaccinated. My OB told me I needed to get it, so I got it.

Good luck. I have a 32 week pregnant friend that got it a few weeks ago because her doctor said to. She's been in the hospital with the flu for the last 4 days. Never had it before.

I've only had the flu when I've had the shot. I don't care if it's not an active virus, it's not worth it to me!
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I don't get the flu shot and won't ever. I'm not worried about catching it from other people. If I get it, I get it.

To the person inferring people like me are hypocrites from not getting the flu shot while getting MMR shots, last I knew, the flu shot wasn't legally mandatory in order to attend U.S./Canadian schools.

The problem with this is that you're contagious for a day or two before you have any symptoms.

So if you do get the flu, you could pass it on to dozens of people before you are even aware you're spreading it.

And once you are showing symptoms, chances are you won't spend the next week in total isolation, so you'll keep on spreading it to people.

I didn't realize it was my sole responsibility to keep others from getting the flu. Clinics should put Smokey the bear on the posters. I understand your logic and reasonings, though.

So you do not believe that you have a social responsibility to not spread any viruses you may have contracted to others?
  • Sarahnade42x
    Sarahnade42x Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I don't get the vaccine myself, and I think it's mostly a personal choice. Yes, herd immunity is important, but so is the ability to decide what goes into your own body.
    I'm all for people opting for the shot, but there are organizations in my area that are REQUIRING their employees to do so, and I'm not all for that.

Annd I'm just going to throw out this link that talks about a *potential* link between flu vaccines and developing non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. I know the MFP boards are teeming with primary lit sharks...don't ask me for any. It's mostly just a temporal correlation at this point, but a practicing pathologist that I hold in high esteem refuses his flu shot every year because of it, so I thought I'd mention that the possibility exists. I don't really buy it yet, but a lot of times we don't find out about long-term detrimental effects until the causatory agent is already wide spread (like flu shots are becoming).
    http://gaia-health.com/gaia-blog/2011-10-24/vaccines-may-be-fueling-the-increasing-rate-of-non-hodgkins-lymphoma-cancer/
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    The flu shot was integrated with flouride additives to municipal water supplies under HW Bush, as a stimulus to both industrial waste and pharmaceuticals. The current "flu shot" is comprised mainly of radioactive isotopes used by the NSA to categorize and track US citizens.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I never had a flu shot, never had the flu. I'll stick with what works for me. Besides, I can't afford it.
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    The flu shot was integrated with flouride additives to municipal water supplies under HW Bush, as a stimulus to both industrial waste and pharmaceuticals. The current "flu shot" is comprised mainly of radioactive isotopes used by the NSA to categorize and track US citizens.

And now the fun begins
  • mammamaurer
    mammamaurer Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    nope never got one, nor have my kids... the docs offer and we decline every year
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

So..... you think getting the flu shot gave you the flu? Is that what you're saying here?

I know this wasn't directed at me, but I'll bite.

I've had the flu/flu-like symptoms three times in my adult life. Two of those times started the day after I received a flu shot (in the mid-90s). Those are the only two times I've ever had the flu shot. Did the flu shot *cause* the flu/these symptoms? Who knows. I know the experts say it's impossible*. But as a human being who likes to draw causation conclusions based on personal experience, it's impossible for me *not* to conclude that the shot played some role...so until I'm in a situation where the shot will measurably affect others, I'm going to pass.

*I suspect they're right that it doesn't cause *the flu*, but I'm not convinced that it doesn't possibly cause "flu-like symptoms". Those symptoms knocked me our of work for a week each time.
  • zyxst
    Options

No, wasn't inferring that people like you are hypocrites, just pointing out that getting a flu shot is no less different in order to help protect your health - or would you adamantly turn down MMR/ Pertussis vaccines too given the chance?

A good bout of swine flu - and you won't miss a flu shot again, LOL

MMR shots were about my health and Iowa law when I was going to grade school (no choice in getting them since I got jabbed despite all my screaming). I only had booster shots in 1992 so I could attend university because the school's legal policy made them mandatory and, at the time, I thought I would be furthering my education. I would not get those shots again unless legally obligated.

I've been lucky to not get the flu since I was about 5 (unless the symptoms were mitigated and presented themselves as a cold/sore throat) and I live with people who get the flu every couple of years and 2 of them were down with the swine flu during that pandemic.
  • zyxst
    Options

So you do not believe that you have a social responsibility to not spread any viruses you may have contracted to others?
    No, I don't.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    My problem with the flu shot is that it's basically a shot in the dark... Yes, they use statistics and analysis to figure out which strains are going to be the problem this year... but it changes every year and sometimes it's not even close... So even if you get the flu shot, the strain that the shot doesn't protect against may very well be the strain that everyone is getting.... If I ever find my immune system compromised (West Nile like to reek havoc on our area), then I will take the risk with the flu shot (I did when my immune system was lowered due to pregnancy)... but for now, I will take my 1/32 of a chance of getting it (and that chance is shrinking every year) and just do things like washing my hands, coving my mouth with my elbow when I sneeze, etc to keep myself and others from spreading it.
  • mammamaurer
    mammamaurer Posts: 418 Member
    Options

And now the fun begins

303180-good_tin_foil_hat.jpg
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In other news, when I first read this thread title:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1152932-harming-children-to-make-yourself-feel-good

I thought it might be about the flu shot.

(Hey, I'm not saying I *agree* with that connection...just that I thought someone on MFP might actually make a post like that.)
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

I know this wasn't directed at me, but I'll bite.

I've had the flu/flu-like symptoms three times in my adult life. Two of those times started the day after I received a flu shot (in the mid-90s). Those are the only two times I've ever had the flu shot. Did the flu shot *cause* the flu/these symptoms? Who knows. I know the experts say it's impossible*. But as a human being who likes to draw causation conclusions based on personal experience, it's impossible for me *not* to conclude that the shot played some role...so until I'm in a situation where the shot will measurably affect others, I'm going to pass.

*I suspect they're right that it doesn't cause *the flu*, but I'm not convinced that it doesn't possibly cause "flu-like symptoms". Those symptoms knocked me our of work for a week each time.

It did my dad everytime too... and being in the military he was required to get it every year... until that is, he talked to his doctor, got the shot, said "see I told you so", got waived (after much resistance) from the flu-shot the next year and didn't miss work due to the "flu-like" symptoms ever again.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    never had the flu except maybe when i was young, but don't remember having it then either and i've never had the flu shot, nor do i want it.