A Message For Newbies and MFP Pros Alike

Options

Replies

• _JPunky
    _JPunky Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    So, I wanted to show the current members what we’re here for…

Oh, yes, please, oh great MFP guru...

...enlighten me as to what "we're here for".

:huh:

We're all here for the same reason...

...and everyone is different and has to find what works for them.

Seems legit.

If it doesn't apply to you, it's pretty easy to ignore the thread. I'm sure this thread will help a lot more people than it will hinder but go ahead and try to find something to whine about. Or go eat some cauliflower crust pizza. That's probably right up your alley.

LOLwut?

Sound out the big words.

You're an interesting one.

What part of my completely open diary of 2+ years would lead you to cauliflower crust pizza? And even if it was even remotely accurate, why would you use that as an insult? "LOLwut?" is an appropriate response to your comment.

And if my post didn't apply to you, why is it not easy for you to ignore it? Or will you be the first to model the hypocrisy that is so rampant in the forums here where people call others names in defense of the "right" way to interact with others?

From there, you double down with a question of my literacy?

Oh, MFP...

...don't ever change.

Don't. Ever. Change.

OP is not a forum derper. what she wrote is from the heart and based on her own real world experience in the past year going from being a newb here (self admitted derper) to no longer being a newb or derper.

in short, she's the wrong target for the snark. there are much better targets out there. lots of them.

I think OP and I are good now. Against all odds, she was able to survive my volley of vitriolic snark*.

It's her WK using vegetable crust pizzas as insults for whom I'm most concerned now.

* Honestly, I didn't think it was that bad. Arguably misplaced, I get that, but I thought I made a reasonably valid point. I didn't anticipate the vegetable insult though. That was new.

We're good. That being said, I guess I haven't learned what a WK is...but he was just trying to stick up for me because he felt the vitriolic snark* was uncalled for.

*Even if we weren't good before, I respect anyone with this vocabulary. lol
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    So, I wanted to show the current members what we’re here for…

Oh, yes, please, oh great MFP guru...

...enlighten me as to what "we're here for".

:huh:

We're all here for the same reason...

...and everyone is different and has to find what works for them.

Seems legit.

If it doesn't apply to you, it's pretty easy to ignore the thread. I'm sure this thread will help a lot more people than it will hinder but go ahead and try to find something to whine about. Or go eat some cauliflower crust pizza. That's probably right up your alley.

LOLwut?

Sound out the big words.

You're an interesting one.

What part of my completely open diary of 2+ years would lead you to cauliflower crust pizza? And even if it was even remotely accurate, why would you use that as an insult? "LOLwut?" is an appropriate response to your comment.

And if my post didn't apply to you, why is it not easy for you to ignore it? Or will you be the first to model the hypocrisy that is so rampant in the forums here where people call others names in defense of the "right" way to interact with others?

From there, you double down with a question of my literacy?

Oh, MFP...

...don't ever change.

Don't. Ever. Change.

OP is not a forum derper. what she wrote is from the heart and based on her own real world experience in the past year going from being a newb here (self admitted derper) to no longer being a newb or derper.

in short, she's the wrong target for the snark. there are much better targets out there. lots of them.

I think OP and I are good now. Against all odds, she was able to survive my volley of vitriolic snark*.

It's her WK using vegetable crust pizzas as insults for whom I'm most concerned now.

* Honestly, I didn't think it was that bad. Arguably misplaced, I get that, but I thought I made a reasonably valid point. I didn't anticipate the vegetable insult though. That was new.

We're good. That being said, I guess I haven't learned what a WK is...but he was just trying to stick up for me because he felt the vitriolic snark* was uncalled for.

White Knight
  • _JPunky
    _JPunky Posts: 508 Member
    Options

[/quote]

White Knight
    [/quote]

Point proven - I learned something new in my own post about learning new things. :laugh:
  • c8linmarie
    c8linmarie Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Great post, OP. Very well put!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

White Knight

Point proven - I learned something new in my own post about learning new things. :laugh:
    [/quote]

AAAAAAAND

/thread
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Very meta.

I'm glad I was able to play a part in someone learning something in the MFP forums today...

...even if it was in the role of "snarky forum antagonist".
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Very meta.

I'm glad I was able to play a part in someone learning something in the MFP forums today...

Ahem!

Reading comprehension fail.

Did you not see where after the OP learned something new the thread was ended?
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    When they were redesigning MFP, we all forgot to ask if they could set up separate forums, one for seasoned people and one for the newbies so their stupid questions won't have an impact. I don't care if I pissed someone off with this statement, it just feels funny for people to not want to be bothered with newbies on "New Year's resolution day". I love your post OP, it was not too long.
    I get more pissed when people don't do their own research and don't use the search function. It shows laziness. If someone can't be bothered to do a search, how are they going to be bothered to stick to a plan for any length of time.

In mild defense of those who don't...

...the search function here is atrocious.

(Seriously, have you tried it? It's terrible.)

Completely agree after trying to use it numerous times, it's easier to get tanked re-asking the same question. Sorry from a not so newby.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Very meta.

Ahem!

cartman-i-do-what-i-want.jpg
  • W0rthless_Her0
    Options
    When they were redesigning MFP, we all forgot to ask if they could set up separate forums, one for seasoned people and one for the newbies so their stupid questions won't have an impact. I don't care if I pissed someone off with this statement, it just feels funny for people to not want to be bothered with newbies on "New Year's resolution day". I love your post OP, it was not too long.
    I get more pissed when people don't do their own research and don't use the search function. It shows laziness. If someone can't be bothered to do a search, how are they going to be bothered to stick to a plan for any length of time.

Completely agree after trying to use it numerous times, it's easier to get tanked re-asking the same question. Sorry from a not so newby.

Its a vicious cycle really.

Search Function not the best --> People do not use --> People Post Duplicate Topics --> MFP Members Point Out That Its a Duplicate Topic --> Member gets warning or strike for doing so.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I have no idea where this thread derailed to... seriously a whole lot of TL: DR...

but the OP wasn't bad. We do embrace new people.

What most of us don't embrace are the people who refuse to fricking google or search anything on their own.

That's I think a bigger short coming.

But come one come on all- join the My Fitness Pal- land of the misfit toys. :D oh how we love it here.

easy solution... go to google. type MFP or my fitness pal ____________________________ question

brings up a bunch of threads that are related.

Most search functions are ridiculous on forums- but that doesn't mean google is- I can usually type in the forum name and then the subject or topic I'm looking for and find it pretty quickly.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options

Very meta.

Ahem!

cartman-i-do-what-i-want.jpg
    I :heart: you both so much. Where would I be without the snarky forum antagonist *and* Tim Curry dressed as a goat-horned demon?!

Honestly, I thought everybody knew everybody and was just having us all on. I thought it was fabulous. Except for the cauliflower crust. There was no call for Mutual Assured Destruction tactics. :tongue:
  • Polda2010
    Polda2010 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting it. Nice Job.....and on a stupid question note....is there an abbreviation post around here so I can get familiar with them? :blushing:
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I have no idea where this thread derailed to... seriously a whole lot of TL: DR...

What most of us don't embrace are the people who refuse to fricking google or search anything on their own.

But come one come on all- join the My Fitness Pal- land of the misfit toys. :D oh how we love it here.

easy solution... go to google. type MFP or my fitness pal ____________________________ question

Most search functions are ridiculous on forums- but that doesn't mean google is- I can usually type in the forum name and then the subject or topic I'm looking for and find it pretty quickly.

This, and I wish MFP could make it to where newbies had to read the newbie thread with all the links and stuff in it. I find those threads to be the ones with all the answers.

The threads I hate the most are the ones that say, "omg, there's a cookie on my desk, what do I do??? halp!!!!"
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

That's also what I do. Either that or just google the question, and a lot of times a MFP post will be at the top of the list.
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Great post! :drinker: :heart:
  • emilyisbonkers
    emilyisbonkers Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    what does TLDR mean?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,031 Member
    Options
    I started reading and I was thinking, "Great. Here we go."

Then changed to, "Pretty well written, OP."

Then some joffing.
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    Oh please someone tell me what tl;dr means?? ♡

Too Long; Didn't Read

Thanks to the person who asked the question AND the person who answered it. I had no clue, either!

Look at that teamwork!
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    this post made me hangry

TL;DR= Too Long; Didn't Read