How to measure calories of Haagen Dazs ice cream?

Options

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,969 Member
    Options
    Does the nutritional info say how many serves per container? Can you work out the weight of each "serve" that way?

It says 100ml is 250cal it's not in gram that's why I'm having a hard time figuring out what to do ...

Ice cream in Canada is always labeled in mLs. It's a pain in the *kitten*. I weigh the whole tub, and I know how much the tub itself weighs, so subtract that amount, then figure out the cals etc. /100g (you figure out the total cals from the info provided and then do the math). It's annoying but if you create a My Foods for it, you only have to do it once per flavor.
    Is the net weight listed on the tub so you could figure out the serving size by weight from the number of servings?
    Yeah I could do it that way....actually that's much simpler now that I think about it. Only math needed would be to figure out what % of a serving was consumed if you go over/below the listed serving size :)

I think you're joking, but just in case: [grams consumed] / [grams in serving] = % of serving consumed. And the computer, phone, or other device you're using to access the Internet almost certainly has a calculator app :smile:
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Does the nutritional info say how many serves per container? Can you work out the weight of each "serve" that way?

It says 100ml is 250cal it's not in gram that's why I'm having a hard time figuring out what to do ...

Ice cream in Canada is always labeled in mLs. It's a pain in the *kitten*. I weigh the whole tub, and I know how much the tub itself weighs, so subtract that amount, then figure out the cals etc. /100g (you figure out the total cals from the info provided and then do the math). It's annoying but if you create a My Foods for it, you only have to do it once per flavor.
    Is the net weight listed on the tub so you could figure out the serving size by weight from the number of servings?
    Yeah I could do it that way....actually that's much simpler now that I think about it. Only math needed would be to figure out what % of a serving was consumed if you go over/below the listed serving size :)

I think you're joking, but just in case: [grams consumed] / [grams in serving] = % of serving consumed. And the computer, phone, or other device you're using to access the Internet almost certainly has a calculator app :smile:

Well yes, I understand how to go about that part :laugh: I just meant that you needed to DO that step. lol
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Do they come in standard size tubs? In the US they are always a pint and have 4 servings per tub.

Not sure about Hagan Daas, but most brands come in plastic tubs or boxes; 2L of ice cream. Standard plastic tub is 75g, box is close. A serving is usually 125 mL, so 16 servings. A little pint like that I'd just eyeball my 4 servings, but bigger tub is harder, plus I have to share mine ;) Easier if I can just log a g-based serving of whatever size I want :)

Nutritional data for Canada here (using Vanilla as an example):

http://haagen-dazs.ca/hd-en/products/ice-cream/vanilla.aspx

Nutritional data for the US here:

http://www.haagendazs.com/Products/Product/2473

Interestingly they are slightly different even though they both have 1/2 cup as a serving size. The Canadian one has 1g of each macro more and 20 calories more, which would lead me to believe that a tub of HD in Canada is a tad bigger than in the US. [It is a similar story for other flavors as well].

Serving size is 106g in the US - so in Canada, if its a bit bigger (by about 8%), then a serving there is 114g.

Yes....I am that sad that I just did that calculation!
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    If ur eating ice cream I don't really see the sense in even tracking ur calories..
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    If ur eating ice cream I don't really see the sense in even tracking ur calories..

What? How does that make sense?
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    lol @ just a 1/2 cup of Haagen Dazs.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    why would you eat green tea ice cream?

why is there green tea ice cream?!

is there no god?!
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options

lulz
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    why would you eat green tea ice cream?

why is there green tea ice cream?!

is there no god?!

Dude..don't hate. So good. :tongue:
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

The container says how many ml there are in the container.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    lol @ just a 1/2 cup of Haagen Dazs.

That's the standard serving size. More than that causes problems for my macros, so it's what I use, too.
  • brdnw
    Options
    I just meant, if you're trying to lose weight, why would u even eat ice cream
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Because Ice cream itself doesn't make you fat. Overeating ice cream to the point you are eating at a calorie surplus is what makes you fat.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Is ice cream on the Bad Foods list now? Thanks for the update!

I, sadly, weigh it out in 125 grams per serving. I know water mL/g are the same and I have no idea why Canada measures semi-solids using liquids measurements.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

because ice cream is delicious and as long as I stay in a caloric deficit I can eat ice cream, pizza, booze, fried pork rinds, and ANYTHING ELSE I WANT.

Don't believe me?

Please glance down at my ticker…

HARRUMPH
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Because ice cream doesn't make you fat. No food does. A surplus of food, regardless of type, does.

You're not serious, right?
  • brdnw
    Options
    I've lost 92 pounds in total and 70 within the past year and I didn't see any purpose in eating food like that.

If you're really committed to something why would you want to impede your progress?
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    I've lost 92 pounds in total and 70 within the past year and I didn't see any purpose in eating food like that.

If you're really committed to something why would you want to impede your progress?

It doesn't impede progress. There are a lot of people who have managed to lose a lot of weight and still eat sugar. One of the more known is Ed. 312lbs lost. I don't think eating things like ice cream in moderation impeded his progress at all.