How to measure calories of Haagen Dazs ice cream?

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I just meant, if you're trying to lose weight, why would u even eat ice cream

First of all, not everyone on here is trying to lose weight.

Secondly, I eat it as its tasty and I can fit it into my macros.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    If ur eating ice cream I don't really see the sense in even tracking ur calories..

Cool story bro.
    Clearly were training with entirely different goals in mind then.

Most definitely. I want to reach my physique and fitness goals while being happy and enjoying my life and not depriving myself of things I enjoy, and you...well...enjoy your chicken and broccoli and sweet brotatoes.

It's kind of ignorant to make a defensive post under the assumption that ice cream makes me happy. I am very happy to choose fruit over ice cream or a large salad over a cheeseburger. Healthy food is delicious, I have no desire to eat a pop tart or snickers.

Ironic post is ironic
  • Wingg_
    Wingg_ Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to lose weight now I'm just trying to maintain my current weight so I don't want to exclude any food from my diet. It says on the container that- net weight/net volume: 392g/ 473ml. Question: does the net weight include the weight of the container?? 1 container contains 4 servings.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,983 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to lose weight now I'm just trying to maintain my current weight so I don't want to exclude any food from my diet. It says on the container that- net weight/net volume: 392g/ 473ml. Question: does the net weight include the weight of the container?? 1 container contains 4 servings.
    Net weight is of just the product. The gross weight would be the total weight with container.
  • Wingg_
    Options
    Net weight is of just the product. The gross weight would be the total weight with container.

So I can simply find the weight of 118ml(1serving) and use it for 250cal? Is it accurate this way?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Boy-That-Escalated-Quickly-Anchorman.gif
  • Wingg_
    Options
    How I wish they provide nutrition fact in grams instead
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    You are going to eat the whole container, right? And you know how many calories in the whole container, right?

Just divide the total calories by the number of days it takes to eat the container, it'll be more than close enough.

This is my advice,. When I make stew, i divide the calories by how many servings, based on the total in the whole pot. It is not accurate per serving, but by the end of the week II have eaten the total,calories from the whole pot
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    How I wish they provide nutrition fact in grams instead

1 serving is 102grams. If you google Haagen Daz Green Tea Ice Cream nutrition, you'll find several sites stating this. I'd just go with that. Many of Haagen Daz ice creams and gelatos serving sizes is usually around 102-107g (from personal knowledge).
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I just meant, if you're trying to lose weight, why would u even eat ice cream

Because you can? Because you want to?
    There's actually a coach who is known for getting people to eat soft serve cones from maccas post training...

Health has many facets. One is mental - if someone sticks to their "healthy" diet (whatever that means) throughout the day knowing they have enough macros/calories for a small serve of icecream at night, whilst still remaining in their calorie goal for the day, how is that a bad thing?
  • jennpaulson
    jennpaulson Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Does the nutritional info say how many serves per container? Can you work out the weight of each "serve" that way?

It says 100ml is 250cal it's not in gram that's why I'm having a hard time figuring out what to do ...

Ice cream in Canada is always labeled in mLs. It's a pain in the *kitten*. I weigh the whole tub, and I know how much the tub itself weighs, so subtract that amount, then figure out the cals etc. /100g (you figure out the total cals from the info provided and then do the math). It's annoying but if you create a My Foods for it, you only have to do it once per flavor.

Do they come in standard size tubs? In the US they are always a pint and have 4 servings per tub.

Not sure about Hagan Daas, but most brands come in plastic tubs or boxes; 2L of ice cream. Standard plastic tub is 75g, box is close. A serving is usually 125 mL, so 16 servings. A little pint like that I'd just eyeball my 4 servings, but bigger tub is harder, plus I have to share mine ;) Easier if I can just log a g-based serving of whatever size I want :)

Nutritional data for Canada here (using Vanilla as an example):

http://haagen-dazs.ca/hd-en/products/ice-cream/vanilla.aspx

Nutritional data for the US here:

http://www.haagendazs.com/Products/Product/2473

Interestingly they are slightly different even though they both have 1/2 cup as a serving size. The Canadian one has 1g of each macro more and 20 calories more, which would lead me to believe that a tub of HD in Canada is a tad bigger than in the US. [It is a similar story for other flavors as well].

Serving size is 106g in the US - so in Canada, if its a bit bigger (by about 8%), then a serving there is 114g.

Yes....I am that sad that I just did that calculation!

I haven't read past your comment so I'm not sure if anyone addresses this later but in the US most of our "pint" size tubs are not actually a pint or 4 servings anymore. They're only 3.5 servings. Just like the "1/2 gallon" tubs are not a full 1/2 gallon anymore either.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Does the nutritional info say how many serves per container? Can you work out the weight of each "serve" that way?

It says 100ml is 250cal it's not in gram that's why I'm having a hard time figuring out what to do ...

Ice cream in Canada is always labeled in mLs. It's a pain in the *kitten*. I weigh the whole tub, and I know how much the tub itself weighs, so subtract that amount, then figure out the cals etc. /100g (you figure out the total cals from the info provided and then do the math). It's annoying but if you create a My Foods for it, you only have to do it once per flavor.

Do they come in standard size tubs? In the US they are always a pint and have 4 servings per tub.

Not sure about Hagan Daas, but most brands come in plastic tubs or boxes; 2L of ice cream. Standard plastic tub is 75g, box is close. A serving is usually 125 mL, so 16 servings. A little pint like that I'd just eyeball my 4 servings, but bigger tub is harder, plus I have to share mine ;) Easier if I can just log a g-based serving of whatever size I want :)

Interestingly they are slightly different even though they both have 1/2 cup as a serving size. The Canadian one has 1g of each macro more and 20 calories more, which would lead me to believe that a tub of HD in Canada is a tad bigger than in the US. [It is a similar story for other flavors as well].

Serving size is 106g in the US - so in Canada, if its a bit bigger (by about 8%), then a serving there is 114g.

I haven't read past your comment so I'm not sure if anyone addresses this later but in the US most of our "pint" size tubs are not actually a pint or 4 servings anymore. They're only 3.5 servings. Just like the "1/2 gallon" tubs are not a full 1/2 gallon anymore either.

Mine say..."still a pint" on them. I am in the US.

*runs off to double check all of them*....will take a while

ETA: wtf....I was thinking of BnJ....I checked my HD....3.5 servings...what unholy shenanigans is this????
  • gk03ub
    gk03ub Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    If ur eating ice cream I don't really see the sense in even tracking ur calories..

Lolwut?

This was my exact expression, too.
  • jennpaulson
    jennpaulson Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I was going to say... I want to buy my Haagen Dazs where ever Sarauk2sf is buying hers from!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

ETA: wtf....I was thinking of BnJ....I checked my HD....3.5 servings...what unholy shenanigans is this????
    HD cut back to 14 oz a couple years ago to combat rising ingredient cost. Since Ben & Jerry's is owned by Unilever, they don't have that problem, their "still a pint" lids are a snarky pot shot at HD.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

HD cut back to 14 oz a couple years ago to combat rising ingredient cost. Since Ben & Jerry's is owned by Unilever, they don't have that problem, their "still a pint" lids are a snarky pot shot at HD.

I am just glad that I always weigh it and go by the nutritional label for a serving.

I should stop buying it in protest....

.......lolno!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I just eat the whole package. Then I don't have to worry about weighing it.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

This is my basic approach. Only I eat the ice cream so as long as it all adds up to a full container by the end I figure I don't need to weigh it at the time.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

That's what happen to me with the Chocolate PB one....looks like I was overestimating my calories those days...:happy: