Looking to add people on 1200 calories a day

Options

Replies

• Iesia
    Iesia Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am also on 1200 calories a day. You can add me. I have found that if I exercise, It helps if I go over.
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Op's Boyfriend here, while i can understand some of the concerns brought on by people saying 1200 calories can cause issues such as tiredness changes with hormones or other health issues, i've been with her since she started this diet, and before that going on a year now, and i have not seen any negative impacts whatsoever, if there was she would not be doing it, but as far as i've seen, no binge eating, and health is overall great, i think tbh, it's a choice that works for someone then that is there right to do it. if she still eats meals, goes out for meals, and spoils herself like any normal person, then what is the problem here,
    Save your breath, they'll never believe what works for them won't work for everybody else.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Op's Boyfriend here, while i can understand some of the concerns brought on by people saying 1200 calories can cause issues such as tiredness changes with hormones or other health issues, i've been with her since she started this diet, and before that going on a year now, and i have not seen any negative impacts whatsoever, if there was she would not be doing it, but as far as i've seen, no binge eating, and health is overall great, i think tbh, it's a choice that works for someone then that is there right to do it. if she still eats meals, goes out for meals, and spoils herself like any normal person, then what is the problem here,

Um. k. :huh:
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    omg lol
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm on 1200 a day, but I'm afraid I sometimes skip meals to make room for liquor so ... um ... not a good role model.

sometimes I do too :p gotta have room for booze every now and again , Carpe diem!

What 18 year old doesn't...

...amirite?

I'm right...

...right?
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling. I'm on 1200 a day, AND low carb. I need to be down to 165 from 185 by February (I'm at 180 now). Support would be appreciated.

Sorry, that's just not going to happen.. unless you're talking about the end of February. 1 to 2 lbs per week is a healthy loss - make that your goal instead and you'll be fine.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I hope you mean you NET 1200 calories. If not and you mean eating only 1200 calories a day no wonder you are falling off the wagon, you are Hangry!
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

No problem here. Chances are she's eating more than 1200 anyway.
  • cdsicgal
    cdsicgal Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    OK....let's do it 1200....
  • Slim_strategy
    Options
    I hope you mean you NET 1200 calories. If not and you mean eating only 1200 calories a day no wonder you are falling off the wagon, you are Hangry!

it's been mentioned a few times that I eat exercise calories :p
  • thatgorsuchkid
    Options
    Hey, I too am on 1200 calories a day! ADD MEE
  • Slim_strategy
    Options

Yeah because I'd totally sign up to a calorie counting site + lie about what I log. Logic
  • Just_Scott
    Just_Scott Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    add me twice I'm at 2260 :)

*high five*

*muah*
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Yeah because I'd totally sign up to a calorie counting site + lie about what I log. Logic

It's more common than you'd think:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

ETA: But you *are* consistently weighing/measuring everything you eat, right? If so, then perhaps this doesn't apply to you.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

LOL, no one said anything about lying. If you're inconsistent (which you have admitted) and you don't weigh and measure what you eat, chances are you're eating more than 1200. Also, you said you eat some of your exercise calories (which you are supposed to do, so good job) so you aren't really eating only 1200, you're eating more than that.

I'm out. Good luck with your goals.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options

Or not measure/weigh food accurately and underestimate caloric intake. More logic.
  • Slim_strategy
    Options

LOL, no one said anything about lying. If you're inconsistent (which you have admitted) and you don't weigh and measure what you eat, chances are you're eating more than 1200. Also, you said you eat some of your exercise calories (which you are supposed to do, so good job) so you aren't really eating only 1200, you're eating more than that.

I do consistently weigh and measure everything I eat :p I really meant netting 1200, I mention eating 1200 a lot because I don't tend to do a great amount of exercise anyway so this is the amount I often end up eating
  • Slim_strategy
    Options

Or not measure/weigh food accurately and underestimate caloric intake. More logic.

I do weigh and measure my food? It was never mentioned that I didn't.
  • GradatimFerociter
    GradatimFerociter Posts: 296 Member
    Options

You having not seen any negative impacts of her diet does not mean there have not been any. For the record, I don't ultimately care very much what she chooses to do as she is an adult who can exercise agency in making choices - as I am sure you would agree. I would imagine that same can be said for most people here, though I don't claim to speak for anyone other than myself. However, in making a thread on the internet (and more specifically a thread about diet on a fitness forum) you invite comments (both positive and negative). People here are only trying to ensure that she is equipped with all the information she needs to make an informed choice. If that choice is to eat 1000, 2000 or 5467 calories given the body of evidence as she sees it that's completely fine. I don't think anyone's intention is to denigrate her but simply to try to help guide her - in as much as they can.

To address the issue: plenty of people see results they are happy with on 1200 calories, plenty certainly don't in the long run. Life is short: do what makes you happy. Just make sure you are flexible because rigidity will mean you do not respond to cues your body gives you to change and you don't want that,

Best of luck to both of you.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options

I do consistently weigh and measure everything I eat :p I really meant netting 1200, I mention eating 1200 a lot because I don't tend to do a great amount of exercise anyway so this is the amount I often end up eating

And there you have it! You don't exercise a great amount anyway. You are 18 years old (nothing wrong with that) and promoting a 1200 cal/ day life style to people on here who are looking to lose weight and make life changes. This includes exercise. There are many new people here who are going to fail, sadly, becuase MFP says that 1200/day is good for them. They are going to exercise much harder than you probably due (according to your own admission) and they are going to be hungry, binge, and fall off. That is not healthy. I tried to point out earlier that 1200/day when you exercise often isn't enough. Perhaps it's your wording. Saying that you are looking to add people at 1200/day who don't exercise much would have been the better option.