WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2014

Options

Replies

• jaks97
    jaks97 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Been drinking infused water, either fruit and mint or cucumber apple. Mixing it up. I was so happy to find a single drink infuser at Bed Bath and Beyond. So excited I can take to work with Fruit and keep filling it up. 20 OZ CUP. Made chicken apple grape salad with Greek yogurt rolled up in lettuce for lunch. Very tastey
  • JECole2013
    JECole2013 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I'm new … to my fitness, not weight loss!!

Turned 50 last year and need support in my goal to loose 45 pounds .. down 6 pounds so far.

I started working out two days ago … on my new home rowing machine! It is a great workout and sort of fun.

Goals:
    Login every day
    Row on my mini machine every day
    Stay positive more than negative
    east 1200 calories or less a day (didn't make it today)
    I'm in Northern Florida, so to all you in the cold and still exercising outside … you are an inspiration.

So, all thanks for being here. I appreciate it!
    Julie
  • Kalley1959
    Kalley1959 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Weigh in today and I've lost 3 lbs of the 5 lbs I gained over the holidays. whew!!

I went to aquafit this morning and swam for an additional 20 minutes. Meals are planned for the next week, tomorrow is grocery shopping after aquafit and then some housework.

Thanks for the advise regarding my mother's estate. I know that creditors can not legally come after us for her debts but it's more the hassle of it all. I think my brother will end up with the worst of it. He has been consulting an estates lawyer about it all. My sister is living in her house and I'm sure won't be happy to be evicted when the bank takes it back.

It's warmer today, but we are supposed to get a lot of snow tomorrow. oh yea gotta love winter :noway:

Stay warm and be safe those in the path of the storm.

:heart: Sandy from ON
  • Delnor300
    Delnor300 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My name is June and I live in Illinois but we spend the winter in AZ. I am 76. When I am at home I work 2 days in a hospital lab as a Medical Tech. I have been there 53 yrs.
    I have had 2 heart attacks and I need to lose 60 lbs. It used to be so easy to lose years ago. I plan to make this year the one that I lose all this extra weight. I will limit my portions, exercise daily, lower my carb intake, journal daily, and read this wonderful message board for inspiration and support. Thanks for being here
  • virginialee78
    Options
    I lost another pound today so I've lost 2 lbs. of the 8 lbs. I gained over the holidays so that makes me happy! My dh and I went for a 3-mile walk out in the cold today... the only reason it was a "brisk" walk is because I wanted to get home as soon as possible to get warm! lol

Here's what I had for dinner tonight. I pounded a half of a chicken breast flat and marinated it in a balsamic dressing and grilled it and put it over a nice salad with spinach, romaine, tomatoes, strawberry slices, cucumber, and sliced almonds with a balsamic dressing. Yum!!!

I'm going to try to post a picture, not sure if I know what I'm doing...

1252et3.jpg
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,362 Member
    Options
    Virginia - tell me how cold it's been! And you're further north than I am! It's supposed to be 40 today and tomorrow's high is supposed to be 43

Well, from last week, I was down 1lb. But that stupid Wii guy is still saying "that's overweight". I swear he's like a broken record....lol

Joyce - everything will work out. You have such a good attitude, that I know you'll make the best of whatever happens. A huge slumber party -- now THAT sounds like fun. Do you have popcorn? That Wii character did say I was down a pound from last week, but he's also saying "that's overweight". Honestly, I don't think he remembers how to say anything else....lol

Anne from BC - have fun on your walk. Be sure to tell us all about it

Rori - I would love to have an app that presets the timing for intervals, but I don't have a kindle. I couldn't find you on Facebook. The only Rori Lindo-Britton I could find was someone who was on LinkedIn. Here's a link to my page: https://www.facebook.com/#!/michele.legrand.90 Hopefully, this'll help you (and anyone else). My email is exermom@gmail.com if that's any help. Vince FINALLY made an appointment for a physical. He hasn't had one since we changed to this new doctor. I had my physical sometime in Sept. I usually go in August but put it off this year because we were having the pool installed. Good luck to you.

Sylvie - welcome back!

Well, that first lemon bundt came stuck to the pan somewhat. I think I need to let it cool in the pan longer. So I'm making another one

anamika - I also find that lemon water or lemon in my tea or for that matter anything very bitter helps to squelch those sweet cravings. Many times I'll have just vinegar on my salad. Wonderful NSV with your mother.

Tina - yup, joining the Y is one thing, but going is another. Good for you making that one of your goals!

DeeDee - with that coat being too big, you can wear extra sweaters, etc under it. Vince says they're "calling" for snow on Tuesday. Hope to get the rest of the Christmas decorations at least inside the garage tomorrow.

Kathy - welcome! Where are you going on vacation? How long will you be gone for? Will you have access to a computer?

Lis - pop in often.

Deb - NO HEAT!!! That's horrible. We were on automatic delivery of our propane when we were in PA and I know they monitored the weather forecast. Sometimes they'd come and we didn't need that much, but it was good to know that they were keeping track

yaniejannie - I'm so sorry about your friend. I'm guessing that her family has decided that they probably shouldn't do anything about this bug and just let mother nature take its course. I'm so so sorry for you

Mandy - I hope you come back often

Allison - that's WONDERFUL that insurance will pay for most of your gym membership and meds

Just checked the temp. It's 33, I don't think we're going to get to the 40 high they predicted. I know some of you are saying "what's so wrong with that", but believe me when you're used to much warmer weather, this is cold

Linda - can you snack on applesauce?

katla - I believe those 101 resolutions can be found under the "blog" tab. They're usually there for a while so you can check them out. I know I will

Cheryl - never ever HEARD of a thumb anthroplasty.

Tina - great goals. Let us know how they work out

Welcome to everyone new that I may have missed

Took most of the ornaments off the tree last night. Now Vince will need to finish taking off the special ones and then the lights then the popcorn which I will throw out for the birds

Sylvia - hope you feel better soon. Dizzy and queasy aren't good feelings at all. So sorry about DIL moving out.

Jane - I don't blame you one bit for not wanting to drive the convertible in the snow. It's probably close to the ground, too.

Renny - glad you're feeling better

Geri - I'll say that that loss IS encouraging!

Renny - LOVE the pic!

momof10 - I don't think right now I'll be getting the new Wii console. I didn't realize that you needed a new console, I thought you could just upgrade your games. Oh well, it looks like the new console is $300 and most of the games are the same ones that are on my Wii, so for now I think I'll just have to stay with it. Maybe if we get a windfall.......... (yea, like that'll happen)

jaks - your lunch sounds great. I always forget to try rolling my lunch up in a lettuce leaf. Gotta remember that

Julie - welcome! How cool that you have a home rowing machine. What kind do you have? Big congrats on the loss so far

Sandy - we're getting there losing the holiday weight. I lost the one pound (ok, not as impressive as you, but I'll take it) and you lost three, Kudos to you. Do you drink a lot of water in your aquafit class? I'm always surprised by how much water I drink in my deep water class. It's supposed to get REALLY cold here early next week, I think they might even be calling for snow on Tuesday. Well, I was planning to do something (exercise wise) at home anyway. Oh no, I just looked at my calendar, I had planned to go to the Y that day. Well, if there's any snow on the ground, I'll just do a DVD at home.

June - welcome! Bet you're glad you're in AZ right now!!!! :)

Virginia - impressive that you even went for the walk. I can understand why you would take a "brisk" walk. Hey, you moved!!! :)

Part of the second lemon bundt cake stuck to the pan. Maybe the pan is getting old and it's non-stick is wearing off? Or maybe I just need to let it cool longer? Anyway, I AM NOT going to make another one. What I'll do is just put the cake right side up (I know you should turn bundt cakes upside down so they look pretty) and ice the top. What I might do is just cut out the part that stuck to the pan and just take 3/4 of the cake. They always say when you take a cake somewhere, you should take a piece, then people are more likely to take some.

Jessica just called. Seems the guy she's renting the room from has decided that he doesn't want to own the house any more so he'll sell or rent it (she wasn't sure which) to this couple so she has to be out by April. Personally, I think he's just tied of all the bs dealing with the different personalities of the renters and having to deal with finding a new renter.

Michele in NC
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Sorry that was a typo, it's a thumb arthroplasty.

Oh, and for those complaining about the cold, I believe our high on Monday is -13. And windchills on Tuesday will be -41.
  • Mollybesweet
    Mollybesweet Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies :drinker: :heart:
    Checking in and doing a lot reading.
    Some fabulous recipes by the way :happy:

Hugs and love all around to this fantastic group :heart: :flowerforyou:

Made a few changes on my goals.
    Had looked into that fitbit at Sam's club.
    DH may buy for me.Would like to read some feed back on it.

Cold but it is winter :cry:
    I do love winter but my bones don't. :frown:

tried a new pesto my DD made.
    It tastes great and fresh.
    4 cups of fresh kale
    1/2 cup of whole almonds
    2 cloves of garlic (you can use more or less)
    1-2 TBS of EVOO
    and Parmesan cheese. (we grated from the block)
    and we have made this w/o cheese.
    That's all for now.
    Molly is slightly warmer (25 degrees) WV
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Well I have decided to not read over all the posts since last night. I still celebrate with all the things you have done, pray for the things you are going through and will continue to walk the journey with all of you.

Well today was absolutely wonderful!!!!! Everyone was here, and what a group it made. I thought I had a good size family room, but after seeing all 28 of us here and all the things that 4 babies require and a tree very laden with gifts and then 4 tables with chairs/high chairs plus two tables to put all the food on, I have a tiny family room. No room to step around but all the time having fun. Next year if everyone comes we will have to rent a hall. We just don't have the money to all go out and eat. And we enjoy our own food to much. I am so glad that I had decided to have my 12 year old GD make the corn casserole. One of my brothers hadn't had it before and said it was delicious and wanted to make sure it was a regular addition to our menu. My DGD glowed when I said that it was her that made it all by herself. And she did, I just showed her the recipe, told her how to measure out the butter, level it out, etc. She saw how simple it was. One nephew in law, the blind guy had a fever and didn't feel good, my daughter who is one of the main cooks stopped her Effexor two days ago and is having normal withdrawal from that. But she wasn't as dizzy today. But by the end of the day she was ready to go lay down on my bed, roll up in my quilt and stay in the dark. But all had a good time, Santa, or his helpers, did a good job. We had a wonderful time in the stocking stiffing room. Well, I had two stockings to stuff and as I sat there I realized that I was just to spent to do it. I was glad at that point that my husband had already gotten into our candy we had bought and picked out about 40 pieces he wanted and put them in a plastic bag. So one of my daughters took the other stocking from me and did it. My brothers loved their silly gifts. I had to present them their gifts personally, they weren't for Santa's helpers to give. I waited until I could explain that the critter was such a critter it could only go to a southerner. And I had to demonstrate the portable kissing booth to my other brother. He then made sure he showed his wife how it would work with her. They were both made out of my C-Pap supplies.

So now my brothers and their families are back in their hotels, My grand daughters have worn them selves out and are sound asleep, I am upstairs watching my own soothing Hallmark movie while the other adults are down stairs watching whatever. The weather report for tomorrow isn't as bad as it was a day ago. I thank you for all your prayers. My brothers leave right after breakfast, they have said their goodbyes. My daughter and her family leave after lunch tomorrow.

I was over my calories for the day and didn't drink enough water. But I feel I was very honest of putting any food in the diary.

Joyce, Indiana
  • Katefitin14
    Katefitin14 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    hi all what a wonderful group of people! I am just beginning, have to lose about 80lbs am 52 a mom of three and two grandkids, one more due in a month or so. I work full time and am a recent empty nester.

hope to get to know you better,
    Kate in Ontario Canada
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,844 Member
    Options
    Hello to all: I went out see my horse today and got some walking in. She is at a boarding stable and I know she is well taken care of but it is supposed to be -20 degrees on Monday with wind chills near -50 degrees. She has shelter and horse buddies to snuggle up with but I just want to put two or three horse blankets on her, bring her home and stick her in my garage.

Susan - So sorry about your daughter's puppy. Prayers for all involved.

Animika - So nice your mother has noticed your healthier habits and is picking some of them up.

Cheryl - When do you have surgery? Sounds like a complicated procedure. Good wishes to you.

Everyone please stay safe and warm.

Healing angels to all who need them and congratulations to all with victories. Sue in SD
  • SylvieJacques
    SylvieJacques Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you are familiar with this site www.skinnytaste.com but I found it here a year or so ago and it has a lot of good recipe ideas that have been adapted to be low in fat. Just wanting to share in case you didn't know.

Sylvie.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,944 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I went out of town overnight and took a vacation from logging food and exercise, but I am never without my pedometer so I know that I logged 18,000 steps on Friday and 15,000 steps on Saturday (some of the steps walking on the ferry on the way home.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: Ktsmom, glad you found us…….closed schools in Minnesota sound amazing to me…..they close the schools here on snowy days because the district extends up the Olympic mountains and the school buses can’t get a lot of the kids and a lot of teachers can’t get to work.

:flowerforyou: Denise, I never set weight loss goals because I have no control over that, but I do have control over things like how much water I drink or how much exercise I do.

:flowerforyou: Dvorah, you joined just by posting….I hope you will come back a lot and become part of our community of friendly women.

:brokenheart: Susan, so sorry about the puppy.

:flowerforyou: LinC. Hope you’re finding ways to stay warm

:brokenheart: Sandy, sorry to hear that there are more troubles with your mother’s estate

:bigsmile: Meg, you are so thoughtful the way you reply to so many of us day after day

:flowerforyou: Cleo, welcome…..I have a pedometer that keeps me motivated to move more.

Drkatie, the great thing about this thread is that we have a nice balance of talkers and listeners.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Katla, I am so happy to be back from the traffic and congestion of the metropolitan Tacoma, etc. area…..we are such small town people…..Jake is a good driver even in bad traffic ……I put Indochine on a list of places to go…..we ate at our friends’ favorite Thai restaurant in Renton and I had a great meal of veggies with peanut sauce and brown rice…..ate half and let our hosts have the leftovers….are you going to post a picture of DDIL’s Christmas stocking so we can see it.

:heart: Barbie from beautiful chilly NW Washington

I read through most of page 8 and will finish reading in the morning........dogs are boarded so I will have to walk alone in the morning...:brokenheart:
  • bjmcq
    bjmcq Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I hope everyone had a good Saturday....I woke up missing my son, who we deposited back at grad school yesterday...

hopefully tomorrow will be brighter! Back to the grind on Monday!
  • AnswerintheSky
    Options
    What a great Saturday here in the Lower Mainland (Vancouver) of British Columbia today! I did a one hour and forty minute walk up and down a local river with a small group of lovely women from a meetup.com walking group. The pace was perfect even for me, as out of shape as I am. We were mostly on trails but also on streets for a few minutes.

I twisted my ankle and fell onto my hands and knees on the walk today. :sad: There was no serious damage, though, and I was able to get up and carry on... :happy:

I finally had my assessment with my fitness coach. He isn't surprised that I have mid- and low-back pain because my posture is atrocious. It's not just from being rear-ended last January. He plans to tape me on Monday to help with my posture. He will also be giving me plenty of verbal reminders.

Coach gave me some 5 pound hand weights to hold while doing some arm raises. I couldn't lift them out to the side even once. :explode: We had to go down to the 3 pound weights. Ah, well... I guess that's what an assessment is all about, eh? :bigsmile:

I logged my exercise for today and, with the walk, the assessment, and cleaning up my kitchen, I burned between 900 and 1000 calories. :happy:

I started and completed a major volunteer spreadsheet project for a mental health organization today. Glad to get that out of the way. I've volunteered doing similar stuff for them before so at least I wasn't entirely reinventing the wheel. :tongue:

I am reading your posts but I hope you don't mind if I don't very often respond to anyone about anything specific. :flowerforyou:

I changed back from my Christmas profile pic to my usual profile pic. I don't have a good current photo of myself as I'm growing my hair out from a very short cut and it's at the awkward stage. :glasses:

I see the Coach again tomorrow afternoon (after church). It will be measurement day: BMI, weight, and all that. Some warm up, some exercise, and a bit of physiotherapy apparently. :bigsmile: Report forthcoming.

Have a wonderful Sunday,
    Anne, from the Vancouver area, BC, Canada
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    More later, ladies, but I just had to come in and scream that I've lost a pound! Oh, it feels so good to see that number drop!!
    I assume the ticker will change after another 0.1 kg; I'm at 4.4 now.

Cynthia
  • Patchworkperson
    Patchworkperson Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    More later, ladies, but I just had to come in and scream that I've lost a pound! Oh, it feels so good to see that number drop!!
    I assume the ticker will change after another 0.1 kg; I'm at 4.4 now.

Cynthia

Woohoo Cynthia!!

I'm happy dancing with & for you here in UK.:happy:

Geri in Uk
  • CynthiaT60
    Options
    Thanks, Geri! :flowerforyou:
  • patacake01
    patacake01 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi I am just beginning, (again!) i live in the UK. I lost 25lb early last year but due to health problems etc i slid off the wagon, started gaining again, then christmas/new year/family, all the usual excuses, got on the scales last night , i am the heaviest i have ever been, i really must stick to my weightloss resolution this year, my lovely daughter in law lost 68lb last year on MFP and still going, i have tried to emulate her but with a 30 year age and energy difference i could not keep up i really need the support of ladies my own age group to help spur me on and get tips from when i feel that its all not worth all the grief, i am now 238lb i need to get down to 150lb, I have severe back and knee problems now that i have put on so much weight, i enjoy walking but that is difficult due to the pain in back and knees, my nearest gym is too far (and too expensive to join) i have a couple of lesley sansome walking at home dvds and whilst the weather is cold/wet i thought to try the easy starter dvds 15mins once or twice a day, to try to get me back to walking, i would like to do 10,000 steps a day but i doubt if i can for a while. any tips/recipes that you have found useful would be greatly appreciated.
  • CynthiaT60
    Options
    Hi I am just beginning, (again!) i live in the UK. I lost 25lb early last year but due to health problems etc i slid off the wagon, started gaining again, then christmas/new year/family, all the usual excuses, got on the scales last night , i am the heaviest i have ever been, i really must stick to my weightloss resolution this year, my lovely daughter in law lost 68lb last year on MFP and still going, i have tried to emulate her but with a 30 year age and energy difference i could not keep up i really need the support of ladies my own age group to help spur me on and get tips from when i feel that its all not worth all the grief, i am now 238lb i need to get down to 150lb, I have severe back and knee problems now that i have put on so much weight, i enjoy walking but that is difficult due to the pain in back and knees, my nearest gym is too far (and too expensive to join) i have a couple of lesley sansome walking at home dvds and whilst the weather is cold/wet i thought to try the easy starter dvds 15mins once or twice a day, to try to get me back to walking, i would like to do 10,000 steps a day but i doubt if i can for a while. any tips/recipes that you have found useful would be greatly appreciated.
    Hi Patacake, welcome! I have bad knees as well (one is bone on bone due to osteoarthritis), so I basically don't walk at all. I do go to the gym, but besides that I bike wherever I can. Is that an option for you?
    You'll be able to lose weight without exercising, though, if you stick to your calories. Maybe see how it goes and then add activity as you can?
    I'm sure others will have suggestions as well. Good luck!
    Cynthia